Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 10-24-2002, 03:19 AM   #1
Nine
The busty one!

Changing in Weight and Cosplay.

I'm starting to really lose weight. It's getting really good and all that stuff, but bad cosplay-wise.

I fitted myself and cut out the fabric for my Lulu costume in the Summer. I weighed around 240lbs then. After finishing the costume and wearing it to a convention in October (2 weeks or so ago) the costume doesn't fit me. I weighted myself after the convention and I was 220lbs. I dropped 20 lbs from when I measured myself for the costume. Sure, I can put see through straps onto the costume to hold it up no problem, but it's starting to become very loose. I had to walk around the convention with my shoulders high and my arms partially out to keep it from falling down! XD Is there a way without destroying the costume to make it smaller?

My eating and exercise habits are much more improved than they use to be and I'm noticing that I'm losing weight.. In 6 months I am hopinh to wear my Lulu costume to Sakuracon as my main one, and unless I stay at my weight now, or gain weight (I HOPE I DON'T!), I won't be able to wear the costume. I could allways make another one... heh..heh.. yeah right XD

Has anyone ever experienced weight problems with costumes you've made? (losing weight, or gaining it.)
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-24-2002, 07:09 AM   #2
Jibrille
Pirate for Life

YES! I've been loosing weight since the end of last school semester, and both of my FFTactics costumes involve form fitting dresses. So i keep having to go back in and tightening up the seams.
Knowing i was loosing weight, i made sure to make them in a way i could shrink them if need be. Seam on each side, zipper in the back.
Jibrille is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 07:23 AM   #3
Keurblitz
My Gender: Female

Nine:
Hm... i f you lose a lot, and I do mean a lot of weight (under 180lbs) you can make a new costume. The good part is, is that you wouldn't be spending as much cash on fabric. even if you have to make a new costume, I can only assume that you can just remake the top part of the dress and sew the bottom part of your old dress on to the new top. ^_^
Unread 10-24-2002, 08:17 AM   #4
kelldar
kelldar the barbarian

I am trying to lose weight too ><; Everybody keeps telling me I'm crazy to do it but I've put on ten pounds over the past year!! It's mostly in my thighs, and most of my costumes I want to do next year show off my thighs... so I gotta work on that and I want to get my stomach looking better.
Gads, I never had to worry about this as a teenager :P
Unread 10-24-2002, 09:23 AM   #5
Koumori
Dye! Dye! My darling

Yes, I too have been losing weight (and yay for all of us, by the way!) I've been lucky so far in that all of my current costumes were designed to be worn while I was heavier, and they're not closely fitted - anything robe-like, I can just wrap tighter. I'm holding off on starting my Wedding Yuna dress until closer to the con I'm supposed to wear it at, though, since I have NO idea what size I'm going to be in April!
Koumori is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 10:38 AM   #6
Hungryjack
Tokyo Nagaremono

Congrats all and good luck over the holiday season.
Unread 10-24-2002, 11:03 AM   #7
engrish

Just make a new costume! I wouldn't make alterations to loose fitting costumes b/c you never know when you'll gain the weight back.
Unread 10-24-2002, 11:06 AM   #8
Hikaruchan
Have camera, will travel

I have been stuck in retraining most of this year at work, which means I am tied to monitor during work and after doing my job, training exercises, labs and assignments - thus I put on weight this year. Most costumes I could figure out whether I could get into them or not. But, I took rosebride to DragonCon, but got a bit of a surprise trying to get top on. I had to majorly safety pin it across my chest so I wouldn't boob flash anyone. Much easier when loose some weight, as can still wear all the costumes - may just need to take them in.
Hikaruchan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 12:44 PM   #9
Miaka No Baka
All Haro belong to me!

I would just take in the seams but dont trim the seams at all! This way if you stay slimmer for only a month or two and gain it back during the holidays or whatnot you can just take out the new stitching and your old stitching would still be there so it'll fit ya ^_^; Just start by taking it in little by little until you get the fit you want. That's what I had to do to my CCS eps 4 pink battle costume. it's form fitting through the top and it flares out for the skirt. I lost weight and man at AX it looked rather loose on me when it was nice and form fitting at fanime. So I just took it in a bit left the seams alone so that way if I ever do need to take it out the extra fabric is still there ^_^;

Miaka no Baka
Miaka No Baka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 12:59 PM   #10
Dragoon Knight
The Lonely Knight

For me I stand at about 5'9 1/2" tall, and up til about Fanime and AX2002 I had weighed about 210lbs, and after AX, I got back into working out and eating right with the help of someone very special ^^. And it wasn't til SDCC that I noticed I had gone down to 180lbs. Even friends and co-workers at my ex-job noticed I had lost weight and complimenting that I look skinnier O.o I've actually noticed too that I've lost some weight...sometimes it's hard to notice self-improvements unless someone else notices ^^;

I had done some weight lifting in high school cause of sports, but it wasn't til cosplay that I had been losing weight..and I'm glad I did...and I'm still losing it ^^
Unread 10-24-2002, 05:37 PM   #11
scandia
Overachiever

Well, I know that my case is not an extreme one, but I could stand to lose 10 pounds. I have to lose them or else I seriously risk diabetes. Most of my costumes would fit- and maybe even better after I lose the weight. There's one that is large sized (I bought the jumper for it hoping that someday my best friend could wear it too), but other than that they are all size 8-10.

Anyhow, I dunno how I am gunna lose 10 lb without extreme sacrifices I like to eat and stuff that is not so good for me, and I am too tired to go to the gym today.
Unread 10-24-2002, 06:08 PM   #12
Nine
The busty one!

For me, I just don't have the urge to eat as much as I did before. I also refuse to eat any fast food (with the exeption of McDonalds when they have their chicken strips... lol) I once got nasty food poisoning from Taco Bell... I hate throwing up so I have a fear of food that I don't prepare myself lol.) It isn't due to any depression problems that I know off.. because I'm not depressed. I eat when I am VERY hungry.. (tummy rumbling). Mainly because I'm too lazy to get my own food when I'm in the house. I don't really crave many sweets anymore, and don't really care for junk food. When I do eat junk food though I feel really guilty (I had half of a Mr. Big yesterday and I was hitting myself lol). I believe that is from when I when I was seeing the doctor about my weight problem. He filled my head with healthy garbage lol... I also excersise more.. I para para dance non stop till i collaps (lol scary) and I go for walks more often, and enjoy being out. That's why I'm losing weight... I think the holiday season won't affect me because I survived Thanksgiving all ready... I didn't have much and finnished way before the rest of my family. It's not because I feel bad when I eat too much, I just don't feel like pigging out. *shrugs*
Nine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-24-2002, 06:12 PM   #13
Tenjou

I weighed myself the other day and I was 135. ;_; I was 110 in the summer! ;____; and I'm like.. five feet! O_O:::::

I'm gonna start working out though. Gotta get in shape! >D

(not just for cosplay, but dance and phys. ed can be a booger)
Unread 10-24-2002, 07:27 PM   #14
scandia
Overachiever

5'4.5" here (5'5" when I wake up, 5'4" at end of day).

Current- 140 or so

Barometer- 134

Lowest I have been as an adult- 128 (was in a severe depression and barely ate).

People think I am skinny for some reason, but the truth is I wear a size 8 at my barometer. Worked out at the gym and did not eat much. Weaknesses change often but I am a total rat so my cholesterol is too high
Unread 10-24-2002, 08:25 PM   #15
Sakura
Original Sakura

I have that problem too... but then I chop my costumes in half and give them to my sister =^_^= (she's half my age and shorter) When I made a bunch of my costumes I weighed 156 (i'm 5'5" 1/2) and after Anime North I got down to 125 so... I currently have only 2 costumes that fit me ._. My other ones can't be mended.