Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > Fitness

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:13 AM   #1
Kasinator
Not quite human

"BUT I'M TOO BIG TO COSPLAY" TT_TT what to do about it.

I hear this so much all the time here on this board, especially when people get worked up about "looking the part" when cosplaying someone. To this statement, I give the same reply to each and every person who says this:

"Cosplaying is for EVERYONE." While the main point of cosplaying is to look like the character, you should not be overwhelmed by issues of size and shape. I have seen AMAZING cosplays from people of all shapes, sizes, gender, and race. Better made costumes, more detailed work, and really creative props and fantastic wigs. That is what counts to me. Anyone can cosplay, what matters is how good the costume looks.

People frequently come to this board thinking this board is designed to make people look exactly like their character to the best of their ability. I am here to say that is NOT the main purpose.

Our goal is to educate others how be active and eat properly the correct way.

Yes we have workouts designed for certain characters. But you always must remember what is realistic. If you want to get in shape and eat healthy, we can help. If you want to only get rid of certain spots, want to be taller/shorter, or anything like that, we cannot help you there.

Just remember you should be proud of who you are, and take care of yourself. If you take care of your body, it will take care of you.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.
Please comment on my pics. They give me teh warm fuzziez! xD
Kasinator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-04-2011, 11:45 AM   #2
minus

Nicely put man.

"what is realistic" should be a key word for majority on this thread.
minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:52 AM   #3
OneBlackBalloon
Evil Mastermind

I agree on the note about realistic. Too often Anime has a character with an unproportional body, and it's not possible to get that no matter how hard you work. It's true that you should be comfortable with yourself and cosplay who you please.
Cosplay is supposed to be fun.
OneBlackBalloon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:53 AM   #4
BraveKnight

Seconded
And lets be honest... most characters for either gender would either require you to take up body building, have a real good plastic surgeon, or be blessed with amazing genes. That being said if people want to become healthier this forum has been very supportive and informative for me at least. Now pull out your needle and thread (or pocket book if you buy your cosplays) and lets all have fun =D
BraveKnight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
NekoGoddess
I'm one hell of a Neko

Imma big girl and want to cosplay chun li. I been working out to lose weight. I want to make her dress. If my costume look good I can still pass as a good chun li as a big girl?
NekoGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2011, 11:25 PM   #6
HomeDepot

Hear hear!

Of course you could Nekogoddess. I don't know what your body shape is like, but for me one of the beautiful things about Chun Li is those incredible big thighs. She defies the idea that women have to be dainty to be hot.

I agree with Braveknight and I'd go even further for most female characters. I think most girls would need a few extra vertebrae, a few less ribs, and our bones sanded down to a thickness that wouldn't bear weight in real life to come close to a lot of anime characters. Better to just focus on being happy and healthy.
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 09:32 AM   #7
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoGoddess View Post
Imma big girl and want to cosplay chun li. I been working out to lose weight. I want to make her dress. If my costume look good I can still pass as a good chun li as a big girl?
That is EXACTLY what we are trying to say! Just make sure the cosplay looks great!

Also second the thighs. every women complains about the thighs. Let me show everyone reading this why they should not:

I think we can all agree Gymnasts are very athletic. Maybe even more than most sports demand. So why do these women have such large thighs? Because the thighs have to have room for both strength and flexibility. Just like HomeDepot said look at Chun Li's legs.

My workout
What to eat

I'm not a trained nutritionist/fitness instructor. But I hope to give you any help I can. PM me If you want someone to coach you.

Last edited by Kasinator : 06-05-2011 at 09:47 AM.
Unread 06-05-2011, 01:06 PM   #8
Kaneda99
Delinquent ;)

^ Heh, Shawn Johnson was my favorite at the Olympics simply because she didn't look like a gymnast should, but was still phenomenal to see in motion. And cute as a button.
Kaneda99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 04:45 PM   #9
Kaileena Sedai
Empress of Time

My problem with "looking like the character" actually isn't so much my weight, although that is something I'm working on yay this forum. I think it will help me get my goals reached.

My problem is more that I wear glasses. I'm legally blind without them and nearly blind with them. I can't get contacts and so all the costumes I have, I have to wear my glasses with them. I've gotten crap at the convention I went too because I was cosplaying someone who didn't have glasses. Which is probably off topic but since the "looking like the character" came up I thought I'd throw that out there. *laughs*
Kaileena Sedai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:01 PM   #10
Tabby Catty
Professional Pirate

Yes! Infact, I was actually surprised when I learned that this one skinny girl in my class actually envied me because I had a nice chest and well, curves... This made me realize that nobody will truly be satisfied with their body unless they learn to be content and accept themselves.

I say do it for your health and do it to gain confidence in yourself, it isn't just about being thin. Infact, that whole thing about thighs... I used to hate the inner thighs until I realized that that little fatty part is good for gripping the pole when I'm doing pole fitness exercises.
Unread 06-05-2011, 05:05 PM   #11
PutPutters
Extreme Procrastinator

"If you're not having fun, you're doing it wrong."

Not quite sure where I heard that, but it applies here.
http://zephyrbolt.deviantart.com
http://youtube.com/theoppositeofnothing
http://theoppositeofnothing.deviantart.com
PutPutters is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-05-2011, 10:48 PM   #12
NekoGoddess
I'm one hell of a Neko

Yay I really do want to make her dress.
NekoGoddess is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2011, 12:59 AM   #13
Kasinator
Not quite human

Quote:
Originally Posted by NekoGoddess View Post
Yay I really do want to make her dress.
Then get to it!

My workout
What to eat

Unread 07-07-2011, 02:22 AM   #14
secretsof2113
The Amazon Oni

I think most of us that hang out in the fitness forums are here for just that reason. Either we're working to lose the weight we already have on us, or we're working to maintain what we already have and educate/inspire others to reach their own goals.

I'd be lying if I said I was comfortable with my body. I've always been a bigger girl, and despite the weight I have lost, I still get picked on about it. I've come to this forum with an extremely bruised ego, with the feeling that losing the weight and reaching my goal is going to make me feel comfortable with myself.

I know it doesn't always work for a lot of people, as I've seen on various other forums, but I'm going to try.

I can feel my confidence rising slightly as the weight is coming off.

Some lofty cosplay goals are in mind for me, with the belief that I can one day get the body I desire, and be able to comfortably wear costumes that expose a little more skin. This is coming from someone who wears baggy t shirts, hoodies, and jeans during the whole year, and would never be caught dead in shorts.
October 2010: 296
Goal 3: 200
Final Goal Weight: 175-180
Current Weight: April 12: 206.4
secretsof2113 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:57 PM   #15
tabbykat

I think that modern views of what is "slim" and what is "fat" really needs a readjustment....

For years I have considered myself "fat"... in fact... terribly "fat"....
I'm about 60 to 66 lbs heavier than most girls in my country who are my height. I've always been heavyset... even when I was a teenager...
Generally ladies in my country... especially the ones people think are beautiful... are very very slim.... to the point of being skinny... and pretty flat.. without much curves...

When I did my current cosplay... I had people telling me to my face that although I have a great costume.. I'm like... too short and fat for the character I'm doing.... (the community in my country is really pretty judgemental and they are quite vocal about it)

I really experienced in a change in viewpoint when I went to visit a friend who lives in a third world country in a small village where no one has a TV or even a radio... and you get ricefields as far as the eye can see....

And guess what.... MOST of the ladies who are around my age... are....round... with curves and NOT SLIM!

In fact, I was surrounded by people who looked like me...

I was amazed... shocked... and I started to wonder who the "abnormal" people really are....

I guess I should have realised this a long time ago... when an older female colleague of mine remarked to me.... "Say, what's wrong with young ladies these days? They are all so ...."flat"... where's their boobs and curves?"

Well... this led me to a rather startling theory... (now.. this is just a theory)....

I come from a country that's a city state... we are constantly bombarded by advertisements and media that show images of "good looking women" who are stick thin.... no wonder all the young gals in my country think that's normal ... and thus aspire to be exactly THAT SIZE.... I've met tons of teenage girls who are not medically overweight.. but who constantly complain about their "fatness" and starve themselves silly....

Secondly... living in an urban environment where our traditional food culture is slowly being eroded away by modern produce and products.... we are bombarded left and right by all kinds of chemicals and artificial stuff.... I mean, I don't even think that.. except for organic chicken... there's any chicken meat at all in the stores that don't have hormones injected into them.... COULD the chemicals in our environment be producing more and more people that DON'T look like our ancestors? Could all the artificial stuff be causing our body... that is including ... our body shape to change?

A lot of modern, developed societies are facing an increase in infertility... COULD our modern lifestyle have something to do with it? Could my grandma's viewpoint that a healthy, beautiful gal = round lady with big hips ... actually be something other than an old wives' tale?

I realised after visiting that village... and some other villages like it.... that... in an environment where people are NOT exposed to modern media or chemicals.... the ladies looked nothing like what you see in magazines or anime or videogames.... they looked like people did in my grandma's time.... in fact, I saw big gals / round ladies who would be considered "fat" in our modern world.

So why am I saying this? Well... why worry if you are "too big" or "not the right shape" for some cosplay,.... it's crazy to compare oneself with something/someone that's not even human..... the standards are unrealistic... and really.... don't let what you see in media warp your own mind about what is beautiful....
tabbykat is offline   Reply With Quote