Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:19 PM   #16
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
On the difference thing, I know I get looked at funny when I ate sushi with my fingers, then got an even more disbelieving look when I say "ACTUALLY, it ISN'T traditional to eat it with chopsticks"... (That is true, I hope?:P)
yeah, fingers are okay for sushi. Most people still use chopsticks... but a lot of people use chopsticks for potato chips and french fries too. I think there's just something fundimentally wrong with their wiring.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-09-2011, 05:21 PM   #17
Convulsive
My name is Kan

I wanna go to Yuki's now... You all made me crave Sushi. And my dad is all tired for work and stuff and won't take me.
So now I will crave sushi forever.
forever.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 05:22 PM   #18
ShinobuWind
An Ocean Loving Nerd! =D

Random but I thought of the mini game in Pokemon Stadium from the title. ^^'

I've only ever had California Roll. Well actually I had a piece of eel once...not my favorite. I do want to try more sushi though! ^^
ShinobuWind is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 06:15 PM   #19
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
THANK YOU FOR THIS THREAD!!!

I was just discussing with a class that sushi overseas and in Japan are entirely different and they didn't believe me. Image search is blocked on the school computers and no printer at home ~ so I couldn't very well prove it.

These photos are going straight to the school printer and are getting slapped down on the front desk with a triumphant "See, I told you!" ^^
I AM USEFUL! HOORAH! It's a one time gig so cherish it.

How is Western sushi different? Aside from the obvious Cali-roll and other rolls that are specific to the states.

When I went to a Japanese grocery mart in Michigan they had a special roll they made called the 'Michigan Roll' and I thought that was pretty hysterical :K the taste I hear is squired since it has a lot of spicy and bitterness in it.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 09:10 PM   #20
JiseiHakushaku
Don't be such a Nord.

Aaaand, here's the picture of my ebi and shrimp tempura from earlier.

Mmm.

•Progress:
Vriska Serket - God Tier [Homestuck] 50%
Vriska Serket - Assassin!Tier [Homestuck] 25%
Raimei Shimizu [Nabari no Ou] 15% [Hiatus]
Calliope [Homestuck] 15%
Claudia Auditore - Assassin [Assassin's Creed] 0%

I dream of getting rid of that icon someday. Prayer circle for me.
JiseiHakushaku is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 09:22 PM   #21
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i'm going to make roomie take me to kabuki this weekend, since we didn't go tonight (i decided on steak and salmon instead). i want sashimi sampler and vegetable tempura

i don't have any pics of the rolls i make, but they're tasty. usually canned salmon or imitation crab with bell pepper, avocado, or cucumber and just a little bit of wasabi to glue the edge of the nori down. i still haven't figured out how to make the rice stick to the outside, so i just put it in the middle and wrap the nori around everything

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:49 PM   #22
ashwhee

Yusss, I love sushi. I take pictures whenever I go out to eat (pretty much any food, not just sushi haha) so here's the ones on my computer... the rest are on my phone but I can't upload them at the moment ;u; Enjoy!

Had to censor friends' derp faces. This was for my birthday dinner, so we got a huge amount of sushi. It was wonderful.

Don't remember what kinds these are o__o;

Another birthday dinner! This time, with a boat.

Top right is spider roll. Can't remember the other two...

I think this was volcano roll. Stuff's spicy, yo.

my favorite is spider roll. Made with soft shell crab, not spiders 8D
Now I'm hungry. ;_;
Unread 06-09-2011, 11:55 PM   #23
Lithium Flower
Handphones

@ashwhee
That reminds me of the story from Brandon where a bunch of our friends (before he and I met and he missed on this because of work) all went to a sushi joint in town, about 6 of them, and ordered somewhere upwards of 200$ in sushi. The waitresses said they'd never eat it all. They did. They where so impressed they gave everyone free ice cream. Our friends left something like an 80$ tip.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:02 AM   #24
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

It's been awhile since I had sushi but I have a good story from high school. We had multicultural day which served food from all over the world. Some of my classmates dared me to eat sushi not knowing I've had it before. To them the idea of raw fish was disgusting so when I did it they said "eww." Okay, maybe that story wasn't that interesting.

Tokyo in Tulsa: Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - fem!Haru Nanase (Free! Iwatobi Swim Club) - fem!France (Hetalia)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #25
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Man, I miss the all-you-can-eat sushi restaurant in my boyfriend's city. It's just so damn awesome (and worth it. Lol, one of his friends always orders like, six black&red dragon rolls, which are HUGE and presumably pricey as hell compared to simple stuff). So far none of the sushi restaurants around my place have quite matched up. And for homemade sushi, I can never quite get it right. Either the rice has too much vinegar in it, or the nori won't stick down enough. And with onigiri and occasionally sushi, the rice isn't sticky enough.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:16 AM   #26
ashwhee

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
@ashwhee
That reminds me of the story from Brandon where a bunch of our friends (before he and I met and he missed on this because of work) all went to a sushi joint in town, about 6 of them, and ordered somewhere upwards of 200$ in sushi. The waitresses said they'd never eat it all. They did. They where so impressed they gave everyone free ice cream. Our friends left something like an 80$ tip.
Impressive. My group was about ten people, and we couldn't handle our ~$200 worth of sushi. :c But I basically got to give leftover sushi as party favors.
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:20 AM   #27
kiratsukai
culture shocked

What's different?

Hmmm ~ none of the rolls are familiar. I've never seen sauce on sushi in Japan (other than a bit of mayonaise on the onion/salmon). Cooked food in sushi is rare here and only shows up on the kids' menu (eel and tataki~lightly braised raw fish, aside). A lot of the serving style/assembly style is different. Ashwee's photos will be fun to share -- none of those dishes are recognizable as sushi in Japan and the presentation style/amount would be pretty damnned shocking to a purist :P

I'd say of the sushi posted here... you could get maybe... 1/6th of it in Japan (Kabuki looks pretty authentic). The rest is overseas-only. Sushi here's pretty simple by comparison: little squares of rice with a cute slice of raw fish or a single prawn (uncooked or boiled) on top. The thin nori wrappers to hold them only only happen with egg and the kids' sushi (partially because kids suck with chopsticks and can't keep the sushi together otherwise).

Rolls are pretty simple too... one topping or one ingredient inside: unless you're handrolling it at home or buying it at the grocery store ~ then you get stuff that looks more like the rolls here -- we call that "temaki zushi"... but it isn't something you'd go to a restaurant to eat.

Though I read somewhere that most Japanese restaurants in the USA are Chinese-owned. So a lot of American-Japanese cuisine comes by way of Chinese influence even before it's adjusted for American tastes.

Japan's top sushi ranking (according to tabelog): http://r.tabelog.com/sushi/ ~ go to the restaurants for their menus, or just oggle their fishy icons.
Typical sushi menu - http://www.sushinomidori.co.jp/pictu...pin_menu_l.jpg

It works both ways though :P You'd laugh at a lot of the stuff they call "American food" here in Japan. The pizzas and salads are particularly comical.

The "American salad" at a local pasta restaurant is a metal dog bowl filled with lettuce, cooked sweet corn kernals, corn flakes, and fried chicken... America = corn is a common misconception.

Most of my students think "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is a Japanese company... ^^;;;

Food culture is insane and awesome.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 06-10-2011 at 03:45 AM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:38 AM   #28
Nathus Dorkus
Fullmetal Dork

That's really interesting, Kiratsukai. :3

On the topic of 'chopsticks or fingers,' I always used my hands - including in sushi restaurants. I can use chopsticks, but man do I suck at it. I don't know if it's just because of my short, fat fingers or what. D:
Nathus Dorkus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 03:44 AM   #29
ashwhee

@kiratsukai
Food culture is indeed insane and awesome. I definitely love Americanized sushi, with all of its fried, mayo-y goodness, but it'd be cool to try some from Japan as well.
That reminds me of when my older brother when to China, and absolutely hated all of the food, despite his love for American-Chinese food, haha. He wasn't so ignorant as to expect native Chinese food to taste like Panda Express, but I guess he was hoping for something a little more palatable (to him, of course).
And lmao at the KFC thing! I didn't even think KFC would be very popular outside of America.

Last edited by ashwhee : 06-10-2011 at 03:47 AM.
ashwhee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 04:08 AM   #30
JiseiHakushaku
Don't be such a Nord.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Most of my students think "Kentucky Fried Chicken" is a Japanese company... ^^;;;
I giggled. <3
Food culture really is cool. That deserves it's own thread, imo. -shot-
I've only had non-Americanized Japanese sushi once, when we were staying at my aunt's. Her neighbors made it for us. It was fabulous. I don't recall the names at all, though...

Hm, wonder if there are any places that serve it around here- or at least, a place to get a recipe book. >.>;;

•Progress:
Vriska Serket - God Tier [Homestuck] 50%
Vriska Serket - Assassin!Tier [Homestuck] 25%
Raimei Shimizu [Nabari no Ou] 15% [Hiatus]
Calliope [Homestuck] 15%
Claudia Auditore - Assassin [Assassin's Creed] 0%

I dream of getting rid of that icon someday. Prayer circle for me.
JiseiHakushaku is offline   Reply With Quote