Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 06-10-2011, 10:24 AM   #31
FallofIcarus

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobuWind View Post
Random but I thought of the mini game in Pokemon Stadium from the title. ^^'

I've only ever had California Roll. Well actually I had a piece of eel once...not my favorite. I do want to try more sushi though! ^^
Me too! And in my head I heard the beginning music and now I want to play it!

I got my brother addicted to sushi and now he eats it more than I do. I don't know how because I can drive and he can't. So someone must not love me and just buys him sushi!! =(

I pretty much love every sushi ever. I had brown rice sushi the last time I had it (just tryinggg to be healthy) and it was deliciouss

Lets be friends on Facebook

Follow me on twitter @Dolly_cosplay

Please support me in Cosplay Idol
FallofIcarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-10-2011, 11:09 AM   #32
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
How is Western sushi different? Aside from the obvious Cali-roll and other rolls that are specific to the states.
Here in Texas, there are several specialty rolls that use jalapenos. One roll is called a Texas roll which is just slices of jalapeno instead of avocado added to a California roll. I've also had some crunchy rolls with a wasabi/jalapeno paste inside which was actually quite pleasant once you got past the initial slap to the sinus.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:43 AM   #33
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post

The "American salad" at a local pasta restaurant is a metal dog bowl filled with lettuce, cooked sweet corn kernals, corn flakes, and fried chicken... America = corn is a common misconception.
That's the best thing I ever heard.

I heard somewhere that spaghetti in Japan is made using ketchup and slices of ham o__O

Whenever I got sushi I kind of figured it was pretty Americanized no matter how authentic you think the restaurant your at is. I'd say the most authentic Japanese food I ever got was at the supermaket outside of Chicago called Mitsuwa. I did not try their sushi mind you. Nor do I really have pictures. Sorry D:

Mitsuwa is sort of like a small Japanese version of a Wal-Mart in that it has the grocery section and cookware stuff, a uemura cosmetics counter, bookstore, the sushi stand (that was quite big), and the food court. The funniest thing they had was a tiny gift stand that sold those funny cookie wafer gift box things.

The food court was aweesommee. It had around 6 stands each sold something kind of specific. Like one restaurant only sold ramen dishes, one sold dim sum dishes, and funny enough one was a Japanese stand selling American burgers that where clearly the Japanese idea of what American burgers are.

Either way I don't care how 'authentic' it actually was....because that was the best Ramen of my life
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:57 AM   #34
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

My favorite part about Hawaii were the Ramen only stores with like 50 types. My mind was seriously blown. And by the time I gatherd my mind up and reassembled it, I found out that you could get Ramen at the McDonald's as well. My mind promptly exploded again.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:11 PM   #35
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

I like a lot of Japanese food, but I'm actually not a huge fan of sushi D: Normally I gravitate toward hot food... and it seems like every American roll is filled with avocado, which I do NOT like.

But nigiri sushi is okay, it's nice and simple. If I had to pick a favorite kind of sushi... OCTOPUS. Yayuh.
"Yuko" Narukami (Persona 4)

I have a tumblr too!
noctiluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:19 PM   #36
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Though I read somewhere that most Japanese restaurants in the USA are Chinese-owned. So a lot of American-Japanese cuisine comes by way of Chinese influence even before it's adjusted for American tastes.
This is definitely true, and I'm pretty sure it goes for a lot of the Thai restaurants, too. It's easy to see how many of the dishes are just rehashed Chinese-American dishes, and I can only assume most Anglo-Americans don't know or don't care about the difference.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
I heard somewhere that spaghetti in Japan is made using ketchup and slices of ham o__O
There are some places in the U.S. where it's made like that. By White people. In fact, my stepfather was telling us that's basically how his mother made it-- just ketchup on cooked pasta.

Oh, P.S.-- we did get sushi last night. I got the cucumber-avocado roll and vegetable gyoza, and it was everything I dreamed it would be.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison

Last edited by penny_dreadful : 06-10-2011 at 12:22 PM.
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 12:21 PM   #37
Lithium Flower
Handphones

Octopus is alright. I found it wasn't much in the flavor department though I imagine with a bit of soy sauce it'd be quite good.

@Penny-I've never heard of it being made like that xD thats so cool.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2011, 11:56 PM   #38
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

i had california roll and shrimp, tuna, crab, tamago, and eel nigiri, and flounder and teriyaki chicken with fried rice and vegetables. eating my leftovers now YUM

cosplay schedule
~Motaku~
Saturday: Luxord - Kingdom Hearts
Sunday: Sanji (pre-timeskip) - One Piece

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:07 AM   #39
noctiluca
ryuujin no miko

Yeah, I always put soy sauce on octopus. But even without it, it's fine, just generic "this came from the ocean" flavor. I kinda like the chewiness of it.

But the first time I had takoyaki, I had no idea what to expect. I freaked out a little because I didn't realize the flour part was so... gelatinous? >>;; At least the ones I had were like that, and I tried it when I was in Japan so it must be somewhat authentic. They kept wanting to fall off the toothpick things.
"Yuko" Narukami (Persona 4)

I have a tumblr too!
noctiluca is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:12 AM   #40
Alyxiane
Turn around. Turn around.

Thread. Stop making me so hungry than I already am. D:

... I wanna sushi lunch tomorrow. OMNOMNOM

Fanime 2014:
Annie (LoL)
Alice (Alice: Madness Returns) (possibly; dress has gone missing in the house...)

^__^
Don't mind my noobness. OTL
Alyxiane is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:34 AM   #41
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

I have actually never eaten sushi. I'm kind of a die hard cheeseburgers and french fries girl. My food is limited to Americanized Mexican(Tacos and Taco-like dishes), Chinese(Rice, Sesame Chicken, Orange Chicken, Won Ton Soup) and Japanese(Shrimp/Chicken/Steak, Rice, Mushrooms). All Americanized. <.< I feel kind of bad about it, and I really should try more new things. But I have such a volatile stomach. :<

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:48 AM   #42
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

octopus sashimi is awesome, but a little creepy at first if you've never eaten anything with suckers

cosplay schedule
~Motaku~
Saturday: Luxord - Kingdom Hearts
Sunday: Sanji (pre-timeskip) - One Piece

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 12:49 AM   #43
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

Eating live Octopus is so creepy.
I will never do it again.
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 02:28 PM   #44
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Ugh. Tako (octopus) just makes me cringe. The onyl time I managed a bite was when it was breaded and fried. Things with suckers are just creepy. I also don't like squid. Unless it's deep-fried calamari. Squid otherwise tastes like an unwashed belly button and is all weird and slimy.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2011, 02:30 PM   #45
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Ugh. Tako (octopus) just makes me cringe. The onyl time I managed a bite was when it was breaded and fried. Things with suckers are just creepy. I also don't like squid. Unless it's deep-fried calamari. Squid otherwise tastes like an unwashed belly button and is all weird and slimy.
edit : Oh, you're talking about Takoyaki, right? that made you cringe as well?

Wow. It's making me hungry already.
I know where I'm going for dinner tonight.
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote