Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 37 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-09-2011, 10:12 AM   #16
Foos
Monster Hunter Addict!

Fantastic! I'll be following this thread 'til it's completion, and I would pee my pants if I ever saw an accurate, well-done GoT costumes in person.

Good luck, OP!
Foos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 02:23 AM   #17
Thia Fayne
casually topless

Wow! This looks great so far, and I really admire your dedication! Can't wait to see more progress *u*
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:30 AM   #18
Skxawng

Thanks everyone for your kind words!

VGC - Thanks! And a tan Khaleesi would make sense, depending on 'when' the costume was meant. iirc I think she was pretty tan towards the end of the first season, so as long as you're not going as 'bathtub scene' Daenerys I think you'll be alright especially if you go all book-accurate and get violet eye contacts ...

Foos - Well then my goal is that thy pants be thoroughly soaked once I'm done

Small update:

I've been sick the last few days, and that coupled with an injury has got me frustrated because I can't work out, and I need bigger pecs! However since I've started this I've lost about 10 lbs so I'm happy. Being sick, however, I spent some time this weekend working on the arm band, and experimenting with dye. The results are pretty good!

Clearly some work is yet to be done here. I've gotta finish dying up the edges, and the man who's instructing me on leatherworking has stated that after waxing the leather, adding 'antiquing' dye thats been diluted all of those edges and bright spots will be covered up. He also recommended that I pull it tight over some wood and slash at the whole affair lightly with a knife a few times to simulate combat damage. As the leather is pretty thin, I worry about marring it to destruction. I'm also slightly worried that its a bit too red ... though that only appears to be the case under incandescent light and direct sunlight. I recently purchased some more dye - this time black - and will be experimenting with adding more dark to leather before I go to dye the primary girdle. I've also attached a bit of pigskin leather to the interior, which needs to be worn down a bit, and possibly dyed itself to match the feel of the latticed part. A tshirt that has been cut into long strips attaches this to my arm rather snugly - this is but a placeholder until I purchase some more leather.

Today I also received 3 bridle strap buckles, which will serve to attach the girdle to me before the corset style lacing goes over. This should allow me a good deal of adjustability, both for comfort and good fit. Once this has all been completed and installed, I'll be ready to dye and more or less finish! I'm so excited!

I've also begun to re-carve the wedding belt, this time in 'Hard' Chavant NSP, which has proven to be more flexible than its 'medium counterpart' -- if at any point I find it too hard, a quick blast of a heatgun will get it to medium, another to soft. And its hard enough to allow for very fine details, should I want them. Unfortunately the only picture I have so far is the 1/2 completed 'medium' version and its 'hard' counterpart plug before I started carving. Have a gander:

I've also begun to experiment with resin a little. Nothing too crazy, as of yet. I simply started with a poured coat of 15$ resin i bought at Home Depot over the blade as a way of filling the wood and a method of getting a very very smooth coat. If the spray enamel is going to work I'll need the surface as smooth as possible. That said resin seems to be very very promising as a method of forming surface. Curing in about 2 hours I was able to sand within the day, and while the surface isn't perhaps rock solid, its still very durable. The one drawback it seems is when I blow through while sanding and go down to the wood - then it starts to flake off. However, I also found that it bonds seamlessly to the Apoxie sculpt, which means a lot less sanding for me, I'm guessing, as the thick resin might fill the cracks and crags of 80-120 grit sandpaper and leave a very smooth surface. Tonight I'll be experimenting by coating the handle/hilt end.

Lastly, I'm a pretty pale dude, unfortunately. Additionally, my hair, while brown, is perhaps not the dark brown/black of the actor who played Drogo. As I've never once dyed my hair, nor attempted to tan my skin, I need to figure out how to do that!! Does anyone know of a rub-on tan that works well with particularly white folks who perhaps burn easy? Ideally one that doesn't turn me orange, and comes off relatively quickly. I'd rather not tan under real sun or go to a parlor.

Also I'm looking for a black/dark brown hair dye that is not permanent, any suggestions?? Very much appreciated!!
Skxawng is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 11:58 PM   #19
Skxawng

Dyed at last!!

Update Mode:

Figured out the belt endings - I ended up going with 1" bridle buckles, which I'll be hiding partially with a corset-style lace up piece of leather. I'll probably also be painting the buckles so the silver doesn't show up too brightly.

Finally got everything laid out like I wanted it, so I went ahead and dyed the girdle. I'm pretty happy to see that the belts match the patches of leather pretty well. After attempting to lace up the central star shapes, I found that the holes were too small to accomodate the thickness of the lace.

So I went to home depot to pick up a grommit punch that was 1/2" thickness. It seemed too small, so I also picked up a 10' pole of 1/2" conduit pipe. I was right that it was too small, so I took the pipe, cut off about 4 inches, and used a bastard file to sharpen one end. Worked Perfectly!

I also took the time to re-lace everything together (with the exceptions of the star centers, as I need to re-punch a few holes, and dye some more lace before I can actually thread them. After that I'll be using a friend to help put the holes in the adjustable belts so that I can get a good fit on the body.

Here's where its at now:

After all that is completed, all thats left to do is apply a finish to the leather, and perhaps add a softener to it to really make it supple, and its done!

I've also halted the production of the Arakh, sadly, as Its not an integral part of the outfit.

Unfortunately I don't think I'll be able to have this done for Otakon
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:34 PM   #20
GlassCannon

Looking really good! I'm still kinda bummed you won't be at Dragon*Con, but I'm sure it'll be really impressive wherever you do get to wear it.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:41 AM   #21
Skxawng

Yeah. I'm also kind of bummed because I won't be able to go to Otakon either thanks to unforseen events

I need to find out other east coast cons that I can wear this to. I MAY do it for MAGfest this year but I'm not sure.
Unread 07-28-2011, 04:26 AM   #22
Minamino Haruka
Diwata ng Kasayahan

OMGOMGOMG....

As someone who is loving the books (BTW it's khal, not kahl) and the series (and I may have reference photos to help you out too...) I am totally looking forward to this!
Minamino Haruka is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-29-2011, 07:53 AM   #23
MissWartooth
For the Horde!

Awesome! I read all of those books long ago and LOVE how the series brought the world and the people to life. Your work is GREAT so far, I can't wait to see the finished product!
MissWartooth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:53 PM   #24
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by Minamino Haruka View Post
OMGOMGOMG....

As someone who is loving the books (BTW it's khal, not kahl) and the series (and I may have reference photos to help you out too...) I am totally looking forward to this!

Yeah I know about the kahl/khal for some reason I cannot edit my post at all, so I can't fix it. This is especially frustrating because I cannot also edit my % completion in that original post. ack

Thanks, and reference photos would be greatly appreciated; though I've got a big library filled with a few shots from the set.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MissWartooh
Awesome! I read all of those books long ago and LOVE how the series brought the world and the people to life. Your work is GREAT so far, I can't wait to see the finished product!
Thanks!! Nor can I!!

More updates hopefully soon. The last few days have been a little crazy and I haven't gotten a moment to sit down and work some more. However, my silicone and resin came in the mail, so hopefully I'll begin to learn how to cast in resin once I finish the sculptures! I can't wait.

The girdle is nearing completion; I've just got to finish oiling it, and add a few more lace bits and it'll be basically done.
Unread 08-05-2011, 03:39 PM   #25
RoseHanabira

Huh, you can't edit the percentages in the original post? That's odd... is the Edit button just not showing up or are you getting some kind of error?

And I'm LOVING the updates! Man, so cool!
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 12:48 PM   #26
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoseHanabira View Post
Huh, you can't edit the percentages in the original post? That's odd... is the Edit button just not showing up or are you getting some kind of error?

And I'm LOVING the updates! Man, so cool!
I'll hit the edit tool, and enter in all my edits to the post, and then when i submit them nothing happens, it just thinks endlessly. I've tried this on two computers ... but not on anything but chrome so I'll give it a shot when I get back home (currently traveling) on firefox or something.

Glad you're liking the updates, and I'm looking forward to posting more in the future!!
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:23 AM   #27
GlassCannon

That stinks about the editing issue. I was having that same problem with posting replies here the other day, just thinks and thinks and thinks. Finally tried with a much shorter post and it went right through. So maybe it's the length of the initial post?

The other thing that occurs to me is that your account is still pretty new, and so you may not be able to edit your posts until you've reached a certain number of posts over all. So just keep posting and try to edit again in a few days.

In the meantime, those of us who are a touch dyslexic won't even notice the khal/kahl thing, since you got the first and last letters right. ;D
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-12-2011, 10:47 AM   #28
Skxawng

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCannon View Post
In the meantime, those of us who are a touch dyslexic won't even notice the khal/kahl thing, since you got the first and last letters right. ;D
Yeah but the die-hards are all pretty offended; this topic got linked on reddit and a buncha people were complaining about the mispelling

I took a break workin' on Drogo after I realized that I was not going to have it completed for Otakon, but after getting some silicone in the mail, I realized it was time to get into gear and start on the other parts of the costume.

The Girdle/Belt is basically completed. I finished it up and I'm pretty darned happy with it. The last thing that needs to be done is adding a backing with some suede leather to it so it rests a bit more comfortably on my skin. Beyond that everything is tied up, secured and finished!

Anyway, back to the medallion. As I'm looking to re-create what he wore on his wedding day, the medallion is a relatively important part of the costume. I started out by using 'medium' Chavant NSP clay:

And it worked pretty well ... but I still wasn't happy with it, and finishing the piece was going to be a little bit more of a hassle, so I re-did it with Chavant 'hard' and it felt a lot more natural to sculpt.

Chavant is cool stuff. I've got a heat gun that a quick blast will soften the hard enough to move large amounts around with ease. The longer you blast, the softer it gets. This is especially helpful for smoothing small imperfections, as the surface will melt smooth and shiny. Apparently you can also double-boiler melt it down into a liquid state and cast with it. I'm considering trying it with my first silicone mold, though I've got to figure out wether my silicone will deform or not with the heat.

Given that I've never casted in silicone before, I figured it'd be prudent to start small before attempting the complex medallion above. So I figured I'd give the beads from the medallion belt a shot first.

Breaking out the 'ol toys of youth - the amazing, incredible playthings known as legos, I made a basic frame for the beads, and sealed off the bottom with some extra chavant. Here's what I used:

The above are what i used ... OOMOO 25 silicone, Ease Release, and SuperSeal. I started by sealing the beads with a few spritzes, and then following up with a coat of ease release. I then also ease release'd the mold, twice. After following the manufacturers instruction for OOMOO, I then poured it into the mold, and sunk the beads into the silicone

I also experimented with using chavant for registration marks, as this was to be a two-piece mold. Next time around, I'm going to make sure to have some toothpicks to hold the marker upright ... or just wait until the silicone has begun to set and is thicker.

After it set, I applied another 2 coats of Ease Release, and then built up the mold higher, added another coating of silicone, and this morning this is what I got:

(Whups, reached the image limit per post so just click here)

Experienced mold makers might notice that I completely forgot to add channels to pour whatever I'm going to be casting with ... you may also notice the hastily carved channels on the left side piece. We'll see if it works, and how my resin flows.

I noticed in the casts that there were some bubbles in the crevices, thanks in part to how I sort of ... unceremoniously dunked the clay originals into the silicone. On the top I tried drizzling the silicone into the crevaces first before pouring the rest. When i'll be making the mold for the medallion I'll be using a soft brush to force the silicone into every detail before slowly drizzling a good coat on, and finally inverting the medallion into a pool. This should hopefully reduce bubbles to a minimum, as I don't have a vacuum chamber.

Before that though, Ill be further testing by working on the knife, and casting that. Then I'll move back to the medallion, and once the belt is finished as well as the knives, probably the Arakh. I'm thinking though of using brush-on silicone for that instead, given its size.

Through all of this too, I'll probably also be working on the pants, which I'm likel putting a lot more time into than i perhaps should ... given that I need to sew together a bunch of pieces of upholstery leather I flayed off of a chair being thrown out. Currently I'm cleaning up the ripped seams with a little bit of barge. After that's complete I'll sew the two large sheets together and then cut out the pattern.

Finally, thanks to the kind folk over at dothraki.org, I've learned a few phrases so far:

Yer jalan atthirari anni: "You are the moon of my life"
Shekh ma sheiraki anni: "My sun and stars"

OOOOO romantic xoxoxo

and also:

Dothras chek: "Be cool" (lol, chill bro)
Fichas jahakes moon!: "Take his braid!"

Remember, the Dothraki measure status by how long the hair is - whenever a Dothraki is defeated he will cut his har. Drogo, has never cut his hair :P
Unread 08-12-2011, 06:25 PM   #29
kcole2103

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skxawng View Post
Yeah. I'm also kind of bummed because I won't be able to go to Otakon either thanks to unforseen events

I need to find out other east coast cons that I can wear this to. I MAY do it for MAGfest this year but I'm not sure.
There's always New York Comic Con in October... I'm going as Dany in her wedding dress on Saturday ^_^
kcole2103 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-20-2011, 10:32 AM   #30
Skxawng

Kcole - Hummm .. I may be able to go to that one ... It'll give me an excuse to go visit my cousin in NYC too ....

Update: Got excited and made a mold of the medallion. First try I didn't use enough silicone, second try worked out great. I'm currently waiting on the 5th resin pull, and experimenting with oil paint for antiquing overtop silver spraypaint. Hopefully will also be getting a punch awl for the leather pants, which I need to start sewing together. More photos as things get completed