Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Anime/Manga > Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler

Unread 06-16-2011, 03:53 PM   #1
InsertNameHere4
Geostigma Vincent! ^__^

Detail on Angela's Angel Dress

Hey!

I'm working on the dress Angela wears in the Book of Doomsday arc in the anime. I've got it all pretty much figured out on construction, but there's one part of the dress that stumps me and pretty much everyone I've asked.

It's the detail on the back of the dress: http://i21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...hots_71603.jpg

The long ribbon-thingy (not 100% sure what to call it ^^; a taper?). I know how I'm going to attach it to the top, what I don't know is how to cut it out or sew it so it looks correct. Any ideas/ suggestions?

"All the world's a stage and we are it's players."
~William Shakespeare, The Bard

Prince Nuada can kick Legolas's ass!
InsertNameHere4 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-28-2011, 11:10 AM   #2
KitsuneCagalli
Neko Lover

Honestly, I would just call in a long ribbon, and being a Sheryl Nome cosplayer, I see stuff like that all the time. Your particular ribbon I would make as follows: make a pattern for it by cutting it with one straight side while the other like a long oval with the bottom end tapering into a point and the top just a straight line as well. (<~ I hope it makes sense, it's very hard to put the pattern into words xD If cos.com had a draw feature, it'd be so much easier). Then I would cut two pieces of fabric to sew together and to make it pose-able and bent like the photo, I would sew a very small channel at the edges of the ribbon to insert craft wire. I don't know how you plan on attaching it, but I would then sew and press the rest of the ribbon, leaving a small opening near the top of the ribbon to which you'll attach a ruffle at the peak of it.

Hope that somewhat helps, and good luck. If something's not clear, let me know and I'll try to make it better understood.
  • New York Comic Con 2013~
  • Katsucon 2014~
KitsuneCagalli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-17-2012, 07:13 PM   #3
Savy15012

Quote:
Originally Posted by KitsuneCagalli View Post
Honestly, I would just call in a long ribbon, and being a Sheryl Nome cosplayer, I see stuff like that all the time. Your particular ribbon I would make as follows: make a pattern for it by cutting it with one straight side while the other like a long oval with the bottom end tapering into a point and the top just a straight line as well. (<~ I hope it makes sense, it's very hard to put the pattern into words xD If cos.com had a draw feature, it'd be so much easier). Then I would cut two pieces of fabric to sew together and to make it pose-able and bent like the photo, I would sew a very small channel at the edges of the ribbon to insert craft wire. I don't know how you plan on attaching it, but I would then sew and press the rest of the ribbon, leaving a small opening near the top of the ribbon to which you'll attach a ruffle at the peak of it.

Hope that somewhat helps, and good luck. If something's not clear, let me know and I'll try to make it better understood.
I'm doing the same dress, and I've come up to the same problem. I get all of what your saying except for one part. When you said to cute two pieces of fabric to sew together did you mean like the one pattern but twice? Then sew them together with a small channel?
Savy15012 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-16-2012, 03:13 PM   #4
Jj-chan

I see you've already had an answer that you're happy with - but if you're interested, in that picture, it looks to me like a the kind of tapered ruffle you can make out of a spiral. Cut a circle of fabric, and then cut it into a spiral, like this: http://lh3.ggpht.com/-w6iy0fup8OE/T3...5B3%25255D.jpg

Then if you straighten it out along the inside edge of the spiral, the outside will form a big loose ruffle like on the back of Angela's dress, although you'd have to experiment with circle sizes to get the right length of the ruffle.
Jj-chan is offline   Reply With Quote