Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-24-2014, 01:26 AM   #1
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Hikari/Dawn Pokemon Platinum

I've been meaning to make this, so I just started with the wig and am fully dedicated now.

I am looking to make Hikari (or Dawn if you prefer) in her version from Pokemon Platinum.
Here's a reference:
http://cdn.bulbagarden.net/upload/th...tinum_Dawn.png
This is really the only good pic of it. ALL of the others are just sprites and fan art..

I don't know what style jacket that would be..It doesn't seem to have buttons but also no zipper either..So I have no clue how that would close..The only button are on the lower half, and they look more like decorations than buttons..Also the scarf is in the way so I can't see if there even IS a way for it to close up.

I've seen fanart like this:
http://images6.fanpop.com/image/phot...86-600-420.jpg
That shows it having it close folding over to the far side, but it still has no visual WAY to close it..

But then there's also fanart like this (Honestly this looks more accurate to the official):
http://moetron.com/newfiles/20080829_hikari.jpg
That looks like it has a pleat where you'd think it "closes" on the lower half..I just can't tell what would be best..

Any thoughts on that?

Also, any material choices? I was thinking it looks like it's best out of wool..But that might get way too hot at a convention..Any thinner alternatives that would still look like it should be made of it?

I'll also be asking this in the Pokemon forum since there may be others that go in there that have cosplayed this version..
-Stocking (Panty & Stocking)
-Squall Leonhart (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Akaito (Vocaloid. Re/Black ver)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-24-2014, 01:46 AM   #2
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Not sure on fabric choices but I have two ideas on the closure. One is to extend the buttons up to look like a pea coat. Two is to close it with a zipper and have a placket that covers it. It would probably look best if it was off to the side like in the first fan art you linked to.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 01:51 AM   #3
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Do you think a pullover with a pleat would look ok (just as an option that I actually didn't think of until I almost pressed post then saw that second fanart)?

I like your idea of the zipper, do you think you can explain the placket thing? Do you know any examples that I could look at to understand what you mean? Sorry to have you explain, I just can't picture what you're talking about..lol
And I'd rather nor use the button down style as I SUCK at buttonholes, as well as it's not accurate and I'll internally scream the whole time wearing it lol
Unread 11-24-2014, 02:36 AM   #4
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

I'm entirely self taught (and also pretty terrible at sewing) and have no idea what technical terms are haha. But jackets like these (1 and 2) have a piece of fabric that overlaps the other side and covers the zipper.

I feel like I have to see it in practice to know if a pullover would work so I'm not really sure. Any pullover jacket I've seen is made of fleece and isn't as structured.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:17 AM   #5
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
I don't know what style jacket that would be..It doesn't seem to have buttons but also no zipper either..So I have no clue how that would close..The only button are on the lower half, and they look more like decorations than buttons..Also the scarf is in the way so I can't see if there even IS a way for it to close up.
Um, yes. It looks like an off-center overlapped coat. There are tons of historical garments that do this. One of the most well-known examples is the Chinese cheongsam or qipao. There are also European military jackets that fasten at one side of the chest or at the shoulder.

Hide a frog closure under the scarf around her neck. To keep the rest of the jacket opening in place, you can use hook and eye or an internal button. You could even have a zipper hidden under the overlap and just keep the overlap in place with a frog.

You can't really do this as a pull-over because it's too fitted. And by the styling, it's made from a woven fabric, not a knit.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 08:38 AM   #6
Penlowe

Am I the only one who sees a classic double breasted coat?
http://butterick.mccall.com/b5685-pr...hp?page_id=872
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v888...hp?page_id=265
http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v834...hp?page_id=265
Unread 11-24-2014, 12:54 PM   #7
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by Evil Bishounen View Post
Um, yes. It looks like an off-center overlapped coat. There are tons of historical garments that do this. One of the most well-known examples is the Chinese cheongsam or qipao. There are also European military jackets that fasten at one side of the chest or at the shoulder.

Hide a frog closure under the scarf around her neck. To keep the rest of the jacket opening in place, you can use hook and eye or an internal button. You could even have a zipper hidden under the overlap and just keep the overlap in place with a frog.

You can't really do this as a pull-over because it's too fitted. And by the styling, it's made from a woven fabric, not a knit.
The frog closure sounds good. I have one that would work actually in my room that I'm not using yet..Less money I'd have to spend haha

If I used the hook and eye ides I think I have small enough ones that I can use them in the hem around the opening and they might not show. That's a great idea.

Thank you guys, I believe I have it covered now.
Unread Today, 06:47 AM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

So guys, what would be a good fabric choice? Something 100%cotton? A blend of some kind?

I'm not good with coats as I have only made ones that don't really act like coats, as I don't WANT this to act as a coat (meaning I don't want it to function as an actual jacket, like "I'd seriously rather it DIDN't keep me warm" kinda thing)..For "similar" things I've seen a twill be recommended (I could be wrong) or something along those lines..Idk, thought I'd ask..If possible I plan to shop on Saturday for the fabric..