Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 07-05-2014, 02:28 PM   #1
rachelewok

Astrid's Knit Shirt and Wristlets (HTTYD1)

Hello lovely people! After a successful Kaylee from Firefly cosplay that I wore to a few cons and a semester away at school, I am ready to jump back into cosplay (some of you may recall me beginning on a Pippin from Lord of the Rings costume, I've decided to shelf him until I'm a more experienced seamstress).

Anywho, I'm currently beginning an Astrid from How to Train Your Dragon 1 (I like the design of this costume better than her costume from the second one) and I've been doing a bit of research.

While going frame by frame through the bluray of HTTYD, being a knitter myself, I noticed that her shirt wasn't simply strips of fabric sewn together as I had initially thought, rather, it looked knitted to me. After a bit more digging, I found out about naalbinding - or Viking Knitting- which is a style of knitting used in Scandinavian countries and (apparently) by Vikings like Astrid here.

I'm definitely planning on crafting her wristlets in this manner. I'm guessing a wool would be the most accurate yarn, but I really don't like how wool feels against my skin - is there another sort of yarn I could use there?

The Big Question is her top: I've had quite a bit of experience knitting but naalbinding an ENTIRE shirt seems incredibly daunting. Is there an easier way to craft this shirt while still remaining accurate? At first I was considering a heavy variegated yarn (similar to a yarn that I used to knit Pippin's scarf) but is there an easier way that doesn't involve yarn at all? Are there any Astrid cosplayers out there who have accurately crafted her shirt in an easier way that doesn't involve knitting with a large blunt needle in one hand? I guess my other question would be, if knitting is the only way to remain as accurate as possible does anyone have good yarn or a pattern in mind?

Thanks in advance!!
rachelewok is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-05-2014, 06:30 PM   #2
KittyAngel
cute little kitty >^.^<

Talking

Hi there. So what I'm seeing from the reference picture, knitting would be a good way to go with Astrid here. Now, I've got 2 suggestions that doesn't concern knitting:

1. Would be to find some cloth bandages and just some some fabric paint with it and experiment with it for a while. If the paint seems to work, then it's an option

2. The second would be get some white cotton fabric and dye it in a tan color first. When dyed, you can go in with a design with fabric paint.

You can do this with the wristlettes as well if you wanted to. The other style of knitting that you were describing does seem daunting, but did you ever try looking up a tutorial for it just to see if someone does it still? If people do, just review it and see what it looks like. It may not look so bad when you review it, but again, I'm not a knitter like you are, so I wouldn't know In terms of the wool, if you're allergic to it, then don't do it. However, if you just don't like the feel of it in general, then you can easily create a base wristlette and shirt for them from cotton fabric and just find a way to attatch them to the knitted shirt and wristlettes.

Anyway, I hope this helps and good luck

DeviantArt.com
JapaneseBlossomKitty
KittyAngel is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 12:57 AM   #3
TenshiNoMizu

There are plenty of other non-wool yarns out there (You're a knitter, I'm sure you know this haha!) and you'd be able to make the shirt soft and match the exact colors. Sadly, I go for look and feel and don't really pay attention to what type of yarn I'm using to be honest.

When I do big projects like that, its actually easier for me to crochet it instead of knitting.

If you're really going for accuracy then knitting/crocheting is going to be your best bet. Its going to look the best and be the most accurate.

You could always dye/distress but that's going to be just as much work if not more to try to make it accurate.

- No cons in the near future

Working On:
  • 'Raver' Versions of the original 4 starter Pokemon
  • Floral Fallal Yuna (Final Fantasy X-2)
  • Secret <3
TenshiNoMizu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 12:31 PM   #4
rachelewok

Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyAngel View Post
However, if you just don't like the feel of it in general, then you can easily create a base wristlette and shirt for them from cotton fabric and just find a way to attatch them to the knitted shirt and wristlettes.
Oh my god I hadn't even considered that - it seems so obvious to make a base underneath now. It gets so hot at cons I wasn't really liking the idea of having wool against my skin but this would give me the look I want with relative comfort. Thank you!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by TenshiNoMizu View Post
There are plenty of other non-wool yarns out there (You're a knitter, I'm sure you know this haha!) and you'd be able to make the shirt soft and match the exact colors. Sadly, I go for look and feel and don't really pay attention to what type of yarn I'm using to be honest.

When I do big projects like that, its actually easier for me to crochet it instead of knitting.

If you're really going for accuracy then knitting/crocheting is going to be your best bet. Its going to look the best and be the most accurate.

You could always dye/distress but that's going to be just as much work if not more to try to make it accurate.
I definitely know about non-wool yarns - I guess I was just wondering if there was some sort of super secret yarn I didn't know about :P

Crochet is definitely harder for me (amigurumi kick my butt haha). I could probably use some bulky yarn with large needles and a shirt would knit up fairly quickly. I've knit scarves that are 8+ feet in length with light worsted weight yarn with small needles and they took me a fairly short amount of time. I'm just concerned a bulky yarn would look... well bulky and would lack the detail of smaller stitches that Astrid's shirt looks so I might have to go with a lighter weight.

I don't really have a time-frame for this costume and I'm pretty obsessed with accuracy so accuracy always trumps time and money for me.