Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 10-27-2014, 09:13 PM   #1
YurikaA

Strapless dress

Hi!
So, Ive got pretty small boobs, but the next character id love to cosplay wears a strapless dress. How can i stop the dress from sliding down (is that the right word? No idea xd) every few seconds without making it look weird? Or should i just add some think straps to the design? Thanks!
http://i49.photobucket.com/albums/f2...nique23/bd.jpg
YurikaA is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 10-28-2014, 04:43 AM   #2
Annedere
CLUELESS

Transparent bra straps. Not entirely invisible, but when I see them on a costume I don't think "ew gross looks weird" I think:
1. smart
2. wow, that person is a human who needs something to hold their clothing up, because gravity is a thing that is, indeed, real

No one sane will judge you for some almost but not quite unnoticeable straps.
Annedere is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 05:27 AM   #3
Eldi
Lollipop Boogerpants

How are you planning to construct the dress? If you can, build-in your bra, use boning and put in a waist stay. Also make sure the dress is fitted very well!
Spellthief Lux- League of Legends
Alice in Wonderland

Cosplays in Progress:
Mirai Kuriyama- Beyond the Boundary
Rose Quartz- Steven Universe
Cocoa- Is the Order a Rabbit?
Eldi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 08:35 AM   #4
erana_37
Sew Impressed

Quote:
Originally Posted by Annedere View Post
Transparent bra straps. Not entirely invisible, but when I see them on a costume I don't think "ew gross looks weird" I think:
1. smart
2. wow, that person is a human who needs something to hold their clothing up, because gravity is a thing that is, indeed, real

No one sane will judge you for some almost but not quite unnoticeable straps.
I second the transparent bra straps. I used them for my most recent costume (Terra Branford from FFVI) and I was very happy with how they turned out. While they are not completely invisible, they are pretty darn good. Also, between my cape and wig, they were pretty well covered. I looked at doing a waist stay, but I do not believe that I have the sewing skills yet to do it. The invisible straps are easy to use.

Besides, what is more embarrassing: people seeing invisible strapping, or losing your dress on the convention floor?

https://www.facebook.com/RecklessAbandonCosplay
erana_37 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-28-2014, 09:00 AM   #5
Penlowe

:sigh: Boobs are terrible at holding anything in place except the eyes of others, therefore garments that rely on squishy mammary glands to do the supporting never look good and require perpetual fidgeting to keep the garment in place.
:gets off soap box:

Strapless dresses are held in place by how they fit around your ribcage and boning (whether lightweight plastic type or the serious stuff). If you use a strapless dress pattern, of which there are dozens to choose from, all the information on how to get said dress to stay put will be in the instructions. Fit is foremost, a well constructed properly fitted bodice will almost stay up on it's own, almost. There is about a .01% chance that the pattern out of the envelope will fit you perfectly, therefore tinkering is required to get the perfect fit others and I am referring to. If this seems intimidating, it's not intended to. Get a pattern and read it, anything that doesn't make sense to you present here and we will help you figure it out.

I'll add this too: many strapless gowns don't stay put well because the entire weight of the dress is hanging from the ribcage, meaning the weight of the skirt is what makes the bodice slip. Waist stays (which is a little belt inside the dress) redistribute where the weight of the skirt is supported, making the dress fit better. The gown you specifically are making might be able to be constructed in two pieces, a long skirt and completely separate bodice that hangs down over the hips. Doing two pieces will significantly improve the stay=put-ness of your bodice.
Unread 11-29-2014, 12:48 PM   #6
Lady Platinum
Fear my gyaru nails

As penlowe said, making the skirt as a separate piece is going to really help, also, from the looks of the picture, the skirt is a separate piece anyway, so that's great!
You can also try fashion tape, so long as the dress isn't too heavy.
I also just noticed that her neckpiece is really close to her neckline, so you could attach those somehow (I would recommend a little strip of one of those clear bra straps) and turn it into a halterneck, which is definitely more support than anything strapless!

Last edited by Lady Platinum : 11-29-2014 at 12:53 PM.
Lady Platinum is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-29-2014, 02:22 PM   #7
Meiwaku
how bothersome...

Thankfully the character has long enough hair that clear straps won't really be a problem at all, anyways, you can just have a good amount of hair hanging in front. It'll definitely help you.
Unread 12-15-2014, 03:26 PM   #8
Rinner

I would say tape that bad boy to you. I also have a small bust but I was able to hold up a strapless garment with the help of this body tape. It makes it way easier if the garment fits you to start with. This will just help minimize shifting.

If you do go with this make sure you test the tape on your body before the con so you don't have an allergic reaction.
Unread 12-17-2014, 03:09 PM   #9
zimnestopy
Amateur

I definitely recommend the clear bra straps, but if you're really not liking that idea, perhaps fashion tape? it comes in all sorts of shapes and is very sticky and cheap. You can find it at most stores, like Walmart and Target. I would test it, though, to make sure it sticks to both you and the fabric, and that you don't have an allergic reaction.

Good luck!

Setsucon '15
Omiko Hakodate - 30%
Kenma Kozume - 90%
Peter Pan - 80%
Otakon '15
TBA
zimnestopy is offline   Reply With Quote