Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 12-05-2016, 06:22 AM   #1
dusklux
Prince of Lucis

Sewing into Boots?

Hello! I'm working on a cosplay that requires fold-over boots, but I can't find the right looking boots that are fold-over at the top. So I was wondering if there's a way to sew into store-bought leather boots or if that would be too tough? I'd even be down to handsew it if it's possible!

these are the boots I want to edit:
http://i.ebayimg.com/00/s/Njc0WDY3NA...Xh0bL/$_12.JPG
dusklux is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2016, 08:31 AM   #2
Penlowe

While you didn't say whether the boots or the tops you intend to add are leather, my instructions are written that way because as they are boots they are still going to be thicker/ tougher materials.

Hand sewing is really your only option unless you have a friend with an industrial quality machine.
You'll need an awl to make holes first, waxed thread, and probably a block of wood to put in the boot to make the holes before sewing as boots are round and not a flat piece of leather/ material.

Outside of that, it's just hard manual labor. A lot of people who sew leather use needle nosed pliers to push the needle through & pull it out instead of finger strength.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2016, 08:39 AM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

^Whst she said. I can punch through boot material with upholstery thread, a thick needle and a metal thimble, occasionally pliers, and while it works, it is REALLY tough going on the fingers. You'll have sore hands your first several times and it's time consuming, and very hard to marathon, so make sure you allot enough time to finish. Something like 20 minutes a day for a week versus "Oh, I'll just do these all in one day".
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There's a vibe here that says "We're in this together!Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way."<3
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2016, 08:48 AM   #4
dusklux
Prince of Lucis

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
While you didn't say whether the boots or the tops you intend to add are leather, my instructions are written that way because as they are boots they are still going to be thicker/ tougher materials.

Hand sewing is really your only option unless you have a friend with an industrial quality machine.
You'll need an awl to make holes first, waxed thread, and probably a block of wood to put in the boot to make the holes before sewing as boots are round and not a flat piece of leather/ material.

Outside of that, it's just hard manual labor. A lot of people who sew leather use needle nosed pliers to push the needle through & pull it out instead of finger strength.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
^Whst she said. I can punch through boot material with upholstery thread, a thick needle and a metal thimble, occasionally pliers, and while it works, it is REALLY tough going on the fingers. You'll have sore hands your first several times and it's time consuming, and very hard to marathon, so make sure you allot enough time to finish. Something like 20 minutes a day for a week versus "Oh, I'll just do these all in one day".
Thanks!! I'll have enough time to do it, and yeah the fabric will be the same as the boot. Probably. We'll see! Thanks though! I wanted to know if it was do-able and both of you even gave tips and instructions so thank you very much!
dusklux is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-07-2016, 10:54 PM   #5
goingapecostume

I would glue on tops rather than sew. If you use a good contact cement, like Barge or Shoe Goo, it's not going to come off. Glue to the inner rim of the boot.

Please, for the love of Thor, why won't this damned thing hyperlink?
goingapecostume is offline   Reply With Quote