Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 01-31-2016, 11:04 PM   #1
dshan1223

Material Question for Baron Zemo

Hello,
I am new to this form, and I have a big question to ask regarding material.
I am planning on doing a Baron Zemo cosplay and for those who know the Marvel Villian, he has a purple mask the covers his entire face. Now when I sew the mask I want it to form to my face, but based off of other cosplay for Baron Zemo, using spandex just makes the costume look a little too cheesy for my taste, not to mention I'm using sunglasses lens for the eyes and it wouldn't look good on tight spandex.
Now my question is, is there a more denser material that could still have the spandex look, to an extent, but is more bulkier that still allows me to breath through it. Like maybe a tight knit fabric or something of the sort. I hope that explains it well, if not I can further explain questions.

Last edited by dshan1223 : 02-01-2016 at 01:21 PM.
dshan1223 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-01-2016, 08:45 AM   #2
Penlowe

Ah! I have addressed this issue before!

it's a two step process, first you need a single layer plaster gauze mask made on the wearer.* It needs to fit closely across the nose folds, brow ridge and chin (but not across the cheeks or forehead). After that's dry, spray the outside with adhesive (Super 77, PhotoMount, etc.). Put on the sock-like stretchy mask and push it into the areas it would normally be suspended, the chin, brow ridge, nose folds. Let dry (which means wearing for an hour or so). After that the interior form will hold the mask in place nicely, and you can still move in it pretty easily.

as you need special eye coverings, i'd probably mount them to the plaster-gauze form in between making it and gluing it to the sock-ish part.

* this is not something you can do solo, you need a buddy because it's best to be laying down and relaxed/ not moving around.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2016, 03:39 PM   #3
dshan1223

Thank you for the tip, now what fabric would you recommend go on top of it that is not a form of spandex?
dshan1223 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-02-2016, 03:56 PM   #4
Penlowe

Your question confused me so I re-read your original post.
First, go read my blog post (linked in my signature) "Fiber and weave; or why I yell at people in the fabric store"

Right now, the rest of this won't make any sense until you do.

Ok, did you read it? good.
Spandex is a knit, and depending on the density of it's specific fiber content, it can be wimpy and thin like girls panties or really tough, like football pants or other athletic clothing. so your question isn't "not spandex" but "Where can I find good stretch knits?" Look at the ounces listed or order swatches if you aren't shopping fabric in person. Swatches will answer every question we just can't on the non-tactile medium of a web forum.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote