Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 06-25-2015, 08:45 PM   #1
kimdkus

Is sewing an established costume against copyright laws?

Hi all, I"m new here and I'm sewing a cosplay costume for my friend's 13 year old son. He's wanting a Star Wars costume to wear to the new star wars moving in Dec and I"m going to make this one: http://www.cosplay.com/register.php?...004&i=93441266 My question is I'm thinking of maybe making them and selling them? I'm not sure yet. Can I legally sell these or not? Thanks all!!!
kimdkus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2015, 07:06 PM   #2
CapsuleCorp
Master level costumer

It isn't so much copyright laws as licensing laws. And yes, Museum Replicas owns the license to mass-produce Star Wars costumes, so if you attempted to sell them en masse (and with any trademarked names), Lucasfilm, Disney, and Museum Replicas have every right to C&D your endeavor.

This is why I no longer take commissions for Jedi or any other SW costume. That's a legal juggernaut I don't want to touch.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com

Director, SF&F Masquerade - COSTUMECON34 - Madison, Wisconsin - May 6-9, 2016 - www.costumecon34.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2015, 07:16 AM   #3
Penlowe

Star Wars Franchise/ Lucas is more generous to makers than most, but not for your profit, they own it, they get the profit. That said they heartily encourage makers through the 501st and the Rebel Legion, those fan clubs are free to copy down to the stitch and use all names, because it's for fun & charity, not personal profit.
Unread 06-28-2015, 07:47 AM   #4
Tigress

If you commission a costume once in a blue moon, then copyright owners usually don't care. But if you are mass-producing them to sell and making lots of money off their property, then they'll C&D you.

I do commissions and put a line on the bottom of my website that say my costumes are "derivative works" and that I don't own the original source material that inspired them.
Tigress is offline   Reply With Quote