Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 02-04-2017, 11:12 PM   #1
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

Feather Problems!! SOS

I'm at my wits end on a cosplay that's nearly completed. I've never worked with feathers this much before and I felt confident with all the tutorials and such, doing extensive research on what type of feathers to get and such.

I'm trying to make this neck corset: reference
This is what it looks like on me: reference

The problem: I cant get the feathers to curve.
Real life refs of what I'm trying to achieve: Here Here and Here

I have NO idea how to go about this. I've tried so many things. From hair spray to wire to scissor curling (like ribbons) and nothing is working. I'm frustrated and sad. This is for my big cosplay for Katsucon and it's ALMOST DONE but this corset has put me a week behind schedule because I cant get it to curve or fall right or whatever the word is.

I would appreciate any and all help. :'( I'm ready to give up on this cosplay entirely.

New Cosplays Planned:
-King Kageyama Tobio ; Haikyuu AU
-Hades ; Kid Icarus
-Gieve ; Arslan Senki
Ouja Akuma is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-05-2017, 08:21 AM   #2
Penlowe

It;s the feathers themselves. The one you linked they carefully selected and placed the feathers in order to take advantage of ones that were more flexible and soft.

The second and third ones are made specifically from rooster tail feathers, which are soft and fluffy and curve naturally. The iridescent black is natural coloring, the red is added.

Huh, apparently this variety is bred specifically for their feathers: https://www.pinterest.com/whitetiger...enix-chickens/
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2017, 01:44 PM   #3
griffstar
Fan girls are scary...

Penlowe has the correct answer to your problem. You need to use different feathers, more specifically rooster tail feathers. Try to find ones similar to those in the links provided below. I have never ordered from these sites so I have no idea as to the quality of their products or their service. Look around online or near where you live to find the best prices. Best of luck to you.

https://www.moonlightfeather.com/1-y...her-trim-bulk/

http://www.featherplace.com/feather-...ral-76826.html
griffstar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-05-2017, 05:29 PM   #4
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

These are Coque tail feathers bought from Moonlight feathers. I was following one of their tutorials for the upper part.
The bottom part (that covers the torso) are duck feathers (and those have not been a problem at all).

New Cosplays Planned:
-Hades ; Kid Icarus
-Gieve ; Arslan Senki
Unread 02-06-2017, 09:39 AM   #5
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouja Akuma View Post
These are Coque tail feathers bought from Moonlight feathers. I was following one of their tutorials for the upper part.
The bottom part (that covers the torso) are duck feathers (and those have not been a problem at all).
So you're having trouble with the feathers laying flat on the piece that rests on your shoulders?
What are you still having issues with? O:

-Classic Sailor Moon
-Various Overwatch stuff
-Cardcaptor Sakura

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

cσмρℓεтε∂ cσsтυмε(s) σf 2017:
None yet!

cσηvεηтισηs ι αттεη∂/ωιℓℓ вε αттεη∂ιηg:
Animazement 2017
Colossalcon 2017

Milky Bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 05:39 PM   #6
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

the issue I'm having is that the feathers wont/cant point outward (or fan outward, like the real life images). I've tried various methods and such and they just wont stop standing straight (minus a little limpness at the top).

I've tried cutting the stiffer parts of the quills so more of the bendy parts (I'm bad with terms, I'm sorry) would be easier to work with to achieve what I need but they still wont stop standing up straight.

New Cosplays Planned:
-Hades ; Kid Icarus
-Gieve ; Arslan Senki
Unread 02-06-2017, 07:45 PM   #7
CapsuleCorp
Future Pirate King

The feathers around your face seem exceptionally large compared to most coque tail feathers used in those kinds of applications. The link griffstar provided said most feathers should be 3/4 inch to 1 inch wide.

If flattening/crushing the spine of the feather isn't making them more flexible, I don't know how anything else would work besides starting over with new feathers. Smaller, thinner ones. It seems like you have the right type but somehow they're too large and thick. I'm stumped as to which species feather would work better but just on a visual inspection, the ones around your face don't look like the ones in the RL examples in any way.

COMMISSIONS! Strange Land Costuming - www.strangelandcostumes.com
CapsuleCorp is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-06-2017, 09:02 PM   #8
fabrickind
Aspiring Senpai

You may have already thought of this, but have you considered flipping the feathers over? They seem to be curving naturally in towards your face rather than away, and flipping them so they naturally curve the other direction might help once gravity takes over. You have one rogue feather on your right side (left in the photo) that seems to be pointing in the correct direction, but the rest are wrapping around your face instead of curving down and away. Take advantage of the natural direction of the feathers.

If that doesn't help, I agree with starting over with new, softer feathers.
Unread 02-07-2017, 08:24 AM   #9
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by fabrickind View Post
You may have already thought of this, but have you considered flipping the feathers over? They seem to be curving naturally in towards your face rather than away, and flipping them so they naturally curve the other direction might help once gravity takes over. You have one rogue feather on your right side (left in the photo) that seems to be pointing in the correct direction, but the rest are wrapping around your face instead of curving down and away. Take advantage of the natural direction of the feathers.

If that doesn't help, I agree with starting over with new, softer feathers.
Like fabrickind said, I think trying to take advantage of the directions that the feathers want to point will help a lot! Some of the feathers near your face seem very long and stiff.
The feathers used by DeadDollsShop, which is this person, are pretty small though it doesn't look it due to how they layered the feathers. They appear to be rooster feathers?
Your coque tail feathers are very nice but I don't think they are appropriate to use around your face considering the look that you wanna go for. :<

Unfortunately I am not exactly sure what kind of feathers they used but you can try asking them if you want? I know you don't have much time between you and Katsu but you may just need to do some magical feather snipping and layering or removing feathers and partially starting over.

-Classic Sailor Moon
-Various Overwatch stuff
-Cardcaptor Sakura

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

None yet!

Animazement 2017
Colossalcon 2017

Unread 02-07-2017, 03:37 PM   #10
CosplayPatterns
The Cosplay Pattern Maker

If the above suggestions do not work, you can use heat to curl them in to position. I would hold them in a stream of steam while manually curling them, then move them in a cool air stream to temper them.

Debuting patterns will be sourced from Pokemon Sun & Moon, Steven Universe & Voltron

Follow Cosplay Pattern Co on Facebook, Twitter, WorldCosplay, YouTube and VidMe!
CosplayPatterns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-07-2017, 07:08 PM   #11
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

I've tried heating them via steam too and that didn't work.

Sadly this is due in a week and I wouldn't be able to get replacements in time and redo the entire thing. I'll have to stick to what I have and see what I can do....

I have played around with the feathers left over to see what works and some do curve naturally but not all of them do. Some are straight, some are too short, and some came damaged (I say damaged because I couldn't use them at all so I threw them away).

Maybe I just got a bad batch of feathers but it's too late in the game to reorder. It would have to be done after Katsu at least.

I appreciate all your guy's help! I hope I can get this to work.

New Cosplays Planned:
-Hades ; Kid Icarus
-Gieve ; Arslan Senki
Unread 02-10-2017, 07:37 PM   #12
Ouja Akuma
Professional Zelda Nerd

UPDATE.
I figured out how to do it. I didn't have to reorder any feathers or anything. I literally just attached them at a 90 degree angle. It was painful and my arms hurt after a few hours but I got them to work. It's not 100% to how I wanted but it works!

Photo.

Thanks to all that gave their input. I greatly appreciate it.

New Cosplays Planned:
-Hades ; Kid Icarus
-Gieve ; Arslan Senki
Unread 02-11-2017, 08:53 AM   #13
Penlowe

YAY!! and well done.

It just occurred to me you were working on yourself. If you are going to keep doing big costumes it's high time you get/ make a dress form. I would have started that project by making a form of my neck and shoulders to work on.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-11-2017, 09:22 AM   #14
Milky Bubbles
(◍•ᴗ•◍)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ouja Akuma View Post
UPDATE.
I figured out how to do it. I didn't have to reorder any feathers or anything. I literally just attached them at a 90 degree angle. It was painful and my arms hurt after a few hours but I got them to work. It's not 100% to how I wanted but it works!

Photo.

Thanks to all that gave their input. I greatly appreciate it.
This looks awesome, I am so glad that you figured it out!
And I second what Penlowe said about a dress form if you don't already have one, those things are serious life savers when it comes to accessories~

I can't wait to see your costume totally together, I am so excited~

-Classic Sailor Moon
-Various Overwatch stuff
-Cardcaptor Sakura

fυтυrε cσsтυмε(s):

None yet!

Animazement 2017
Colossalcon 2017

Unread 02-11-2017, 02:19 PM   #15