Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Unread 11-17-2014, 04:52 PM   #1
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

outdoor socks

im looking to make socks for use outside (no shoes)
for year round use, so a winter and summer pair

ive tried to research fabrics myself but its not working out
my goal for winter is a pair of over calves, that will stay warm and dry in slush, provide traction, and not become mops that smell like dish rag and wet dog

and for warmer weather, something to protect and cushion against terrain like gravel, woodchips various ground debris, thorns and burrdocs

also, sorry if this post looks lile crap, i used my phone
Dictamnus Albus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-17-2014, 05:05 PM   #2
kandell

Is there a particular reason you want socks and not shoes? Because you're going to have a hell of a time finding/making socks that live up to your demands there.
Facebook
AC Paradise
Twitter
kandell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 06:12 PM   #3
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

The kind of thing you're talking about is, functionally, a shoe. Look for info on felted boots or sock boots. If you can't find what you're looking for there, chances are that you're going to need to figure most of it out yourself.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-17-2014, 09:03 PM   #4
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Get jikatabi. They're split-toed minimalist footwear that look just like traditional indoor tabi, except the bottom is tractioned rubber rather than cloth so they can be worn outside.

There are different brands and levels of quality. Marugo brand tends to have very obvious, sneaker-like outsoles. Rikio's outsoles are barely noticeable when you look at the shoe. The most common heights are ankle and mid-calf, but if you look hard enough, you can find models that go below the knee.

You can buy cheaper jikatabi at martial arts or "ninja" stores, but the good brands from Japan (which I mentioned above) have models that are meant for cold or rainy weather with extra insulation, water-resistant coatings, etc. You can also pair them up with split-toed socks for more layers. (You should be wearing socks with them anyway, because it prolongs the life of the shoe.)

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-19-2014, 02:28 AM   #5
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

i dont really know what to say, i keep deleting everything cause i just sound like a fool,

really frustrated, guess ill have to just try some stuff till something works
Unread 11-19-2014, 09:45 AM   #6
lemuries

There's a technique of making your own running socks by spraying your favorite pair with plasti-dip on the soles. I wonder if you couldn't adapt that technique to a set of winter rain/slush wool socks by spraying all over the sock, or using liquid latex instead.

Maybe you could plastidip a pair of slipper sock soles to make summer versions?

EDIT: This technique for making felted wool boots isn't something you're likely to solve this problem, but I found it fascinating and exciting to try to make my own boots. Maybe you're enjoy the link too.

Last edited by lemuries : 11-19-2014 at 09:57 AM.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-20-2014, 01:51 AM   #7
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

so i tried putting on 3 pair of socks, my brown winter socks and 2 pair of those gray wool socks w/ the coloured band at the top, and walked aroud for 5 mins in an inch of dry powder snow, and as long as i kept moving it seemed to work fine
obviously not going to work for wet pack snow, but its something

link was a nice read, so thanx

only substantial idea i got so far is to use a pool liner or shoe/boot cover as my water barrier, not to enthused
Unread 11-20-2014, 08:23 AM   #8
lemuries

I'm a big fan of history, and although our forebears never perfected things the way we can, I like to see their solutions to things.

Here is a link to someone's investigation into how to try to recreate the medieval "oilskin cloak".

This is a link to a discussion of how some history recreationists waterproof their fabric tents (to avoid mildew problems, reduce leaks, and improve how fast they can break them down after the event and store them without ruining the fabric after.

Oh, and have you looked at putting liquid latex onto spandex fabric? It could make a water barrier. Though people in latex clothing sweat in it a lot because it doesn't "breathe."

-----

Of course, this is just to address the winter question (which I find a fascinating challenge). I recently acquired a gift of toe shoes designed for running on uneven (read: rocky) terrain. The cushioning is okay (my feet are already hardened to barefoot walking) and the sensitivity is fantastic. That's why I recommended a DIY version that won't cost $90 on sale

Are there any costume constraints on potential solutions ("the ankle must be this thin", "the top has to include this plate", etc)?
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 04:50 AM   #9
Dictamnus Albus
visionary

(using phone again)

no constraints, the reason i dont like shoes is that
no shoe type has ever fit right, also like being barefoot,

i just realized that this makes a perfect excuse to make
that pair of geta ive wanted, though im sure id still probably want a water barrier for unforseen circumstances

also, does anyone have experience with those proofing
sprays, ive not used any myself, but seen it not work on
those winter slippers people try to use outdoors,

also, ive been just wearing winter socks w/ my sandals
and despite making them tight, it works good enough
but, i havent had a chance to test proper since we havent
had any accumulated snow yet
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:28 PM   #10
Evil Bishounen
Hail to the King

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dictamnus Albus View Post
no constraints, the reason i dont like shoes is that
no shoe type has ever fit right, also like being barefoot,
That is not a problem with shoes. This is a problem with fit.

If you have never had shoes that fit right, it means they weren't the right size or width for your foot. Most shoes are sold only in standard width, but if you look in non-standard shoe sellers (easy with the Internet), you can find shoes in narrow, wide, and extra-wide size variations. Same thing if you have very big or small feet.

Also: it sounds like you really just want something that stretches over your foot. If you apply some kind of sealing treatment to a sock, it will lose its elasticity, so it cannot contract or expand any more. And if it DOES stretch, the sealing surface will crack and break. You'd be better served by getting a rubber overshoe instead of trying to apply proofing to a sock.

2014: Anime Los Angeles and whatever else falls into my lap

I now have a Tumblr. Sometimes I use it.
Evil Bishounen is offline   Reply With Quote