Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 09-15-2011, 05:38 PM   #151
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by madding View Post
@touchmon
It looks like you're going to need a LOT of fabric in order to make that costume if you do all the layers, so it's going to be expensive no matter what. I suggest a medium weight cotton twill. This looks like a hard one, but very beautiful! Good luck!
*sigh* I expected that. Is there any other fabric types that would be good? I did a run around the Jo-Anns here and they have the white but not the purple and pink. Should I just look for fabrics with close the same feel?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 09-16-2011, 08:25 AM   #152
Zetsubou-chan
Slaughter.

Quote:

Are you using a zig-zag stitch? If you use a straight stitch on a stretchy fabric, your seams won't stretch out and you're losing a lot of the effectiveness of the stretchy fabric. It can also make strange lumps in your seam.

If it's the fabric itself getting caught in your feed dogs (the little thing on the bottom of the machine that moves the fabric forward) I have a few tricks you can try. Try them on scrap fabrics first of course! One is to take strips of plastic grocery bag on one side between your fabric and the feed dogs on the base of your machine. It helps the feeder grab and move the fabric forward without catching. After you finish the seam, tear off the plastic and you should be left with a seam. Scotch tape or regular notebook paper can be used in the same way, but I find that the sticky on scotch tape gums up the needle and is hard to get off after you sew through it, and paper dulls the needle to much.

OH I SEE. THANK YOU SO MUCH~!!
That is so helpful~!

I tried using zigzag stitch on a catsuit once but it just clumped at that one part so I thought that that was it.
There was no other way.
I shall try your suggestion though.
Thank you so much~!!
Zetsubou-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 03:26 PM   #153
KinataRin
Demon Queen of Hell

So after watching all of No. 6, I've decided to cosplay Shion. First because he's adorable. Second because I really like his character. I have like everything together except the wig and coat. The wig I found, but the coat is giving me a lot of trouble.

Okay so I am having a really hard time deciding first, what to make this coat out of and second the color. In some scenes it looks almost like a rose color, but in others it looks kinda brown.

Reference picture: http://img207.imageshack.us/img207/8...treference.jpg

If anyone could please give me some ideas on what to use or direct me toward a material to use, I would love you forever. Because I've been around my town (which only has two or three places that even sell material and not a lot) and I can't find anything.

I'm really picky when it comes to accuracy. I was gonna commission it, but then I decided its better that I do it, that way I'm not angry when it comes out less than what I expected. I managed to find the perfect pattern to use, but like I said... the material is the hard part.

Also any tips on how to go about making it would be helpful also... this would be my first time trying to make a coat like this and I'm a little scared to just dive into it. Hopefully I don't fail XD

Thanks in advance!

Cosplay Line-up:

Michael from Let's Play Minecraft
Shizuo from Durarara!!!
Abaddon from Supernatural
Heather from Silent Hill
KinataRin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 06:51 PM   #154
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

The best material for this coat is a wool blend fabric and then lining it with a nice quality satin.
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-16-2011, 09:31 PM   #155
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'd make a mockup out of some cheap fabric, too, if you've never done a coat before/it's a really tricky fit/cut. Since coat fabric can get prettttty expensive, so best to not waste fabric.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 04:37 PM   #156
Song's Mistress
The Song's Mistress

Quote:
Okay I see what you're doing now! When I googled this costume before I wasn't sure if you were talking about the armor or what, LOL. If you're going for accuracy, it looks so much like a wintery costume that they would have almost certainly used wool if he were a real dude. Cloaks are almost always wool because it repels water and is very warm. There are different weights of wool though, so you could go with a thinner "suiting" type wool and it would be much thinner than if you were to look for real "cloak-worthy" wool. However, I think that a heavy cotton twill would give you a similar look without being as expensive and warm, depending on when this costume is to be worn.

The gray skirt is probably the same situation--either wool or heavy cotton twill. For the undershirt--and I'm thinking that you mean the little bit of tan poking out from the end of his sleeve--THIS would be a good place to use linen, LOL. You could also use cotton twill if you want something sturdy, or even cotton broadcloth if you don't care since it's under everything else. Though if you use twill then you can easily reuse it for any renfair costume. I <3 reusing costume pieces! My favorite undershirt pattern is Butterick B4486. I have used it a million times for ALL my male family's renfair needs--it's really easy! Historically, the puffy sleeves would help cushion the armor on top, and the dude wearing the outfit would just take that shirt off and wash it instead of having to wash/sweat on all his nice outer clothes.

This will be SUCH an amazing costume if you pull it all together!! I'm SO excited that you said you're using leather. I'm going to go ahead and direct you to my brother's wip leatherworking tutorials on our website: Ember Costumes He adds more stuff every week/month and at the very least has some more links you can follow to get more armor and leatherworking help. In fact, if you are truly interested in getting some advice from him, message me and I'll give you his email address. Your questions will only help us make our tutorials even better!
Hee Thank you for the response! Like I said, completely clueless about guessing fabric.

Yeah, trying to go for things that are probably a little thinner. He's running around in central Italy during the game, and it can get pretty warm there, I imagine. (Oh, and it would be so much more comfortable -- especially because I'd like to wear this during the summer to a convention, and I live in a desert. And I'd have so many layers and leather -- I'd probably die if I went with anything winter-thick. >_>)

And that shirt pattern (Specifically, A and B) looks spot-on to what I pictured him wearing underneath! I'll definitely check out -- and I think I will use twill, because looking at it now, I think I could get more than a few uses out of it. Very ossum, thanks for the pattern!

I'll keep posted on your bother's website for any useful tips -- I'm completely new to all of this, so any information that helps is welcome my way.
Song's Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 09:09 PM   #157
CosplayAnsa

I got some really good advice for my last costume, so I'll ask here again. I'm doing Kairi from Kingdom Hearts 2 and have absolutely NO clue what fabric to use. Mind this is the pink dress/outfit. It's thick like denim, but not quite denim. Kind of pleathery, but not so shiny. Any hints?

References: http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kairi...1t:429,r:0,s:0

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kairi...1t:429,r:3,s:0

http://www.animegalleries.net/album/...ry/-8352/img/1

http://www.google.com/imgres?q=kairi...:429,r:5,s:190
CosplayAnsa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #158
orlandobfreek92

Hey guys! I was wondering if you could help me out!

I'm going to be cosplaying as Angel Panty! I what i'm making the peticoat out of, but i have no idea what i should use for the actual skirt and shirt. So any advice you can give me on fabric and maybe construction would be awesome! thanks~
orlandobfreek92 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 11:20 AM   #159
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

The fabric has to have some flow, for a shiny fabric - Crepe de Chine
For a subtle sheen fabric - Sateen (not satin)
For a Casual look - Double Cotton Knit
I hope these will help you.
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 10:59 PM   #160
KH_fanGirl_SW
Balloon Theif

Traditional

Quote:
Originally Posted by Song's Mistress View Post
Okay, so I'm planning on making Ezio Auditore's Brutus Armor (Assassin's Creed series) for my first cosplay. I already know the trimming, the leather, and the wolf fur cover and am already experimenting with different armor-making methods.

However, I can't, for the life of me, guess what type of fabric I'd use for the undershirt, the grey skirt fabric, or the cape. I want to keep it accurate to the fabric they used in the Italian Renaissance, so I did some research, but little to none of it is relevant to what is used in the costume. ;_;

I know the undershirt would have to be something relatively thin and light, but I'm totally lost when it comes to fabric names, so I'm completely lost as far as looking on the internet goes. For the grey fabric, I'm completely clueless, and for the cape, I was thinking a linen of some sort. I don't want any extremely shiny fabrics, so silk and other fabrics like it are already out of the question.

Sorry if the reference pictures don't help as much as they should. ._.' It's really hard to get reference pics of it from the video game, but I'll post some more in a few minutes. These are just ones that I've found on the internet -- so this post will be updated shortly with some larger screenshots I've taken.

(Concept Art)
(Comparison between inspiration and in-game version)
(Terribly small screenshot of the backside of the Brutus Armor)
For a traditional material I would use Wool. However it may be too heavy for your costume and I am not sure what your budget is. Otherwise I would look in the Muslin part of your fabric store and look for a thick gray color one. It will be lighter than wool, easier to sew, and it is something that will look legitimate. Usually muslin is used as a liner or for making patterns so it is usually cheap which is also good.

Anyway I hope that helps
Unread 09-21-2011, 12:15 AM   #161
cgmangotiger
28:06:42:12

So I'm doing a female pin-up style outfit of Iron Man and need to find a fabric that'd represent the metallic suit, but something that's easy to work with. I need to make long opera-style gloves and thigh high boot covers (possibly the corset and skirt to, although I was hoping I could cheat a little and find them at a store -which will be extremely hard) but does anyone have any suggestions?
cgmangotiger is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-24-2011, 02:35 AM   #162
Song's Mistress
The Song's Mistress

Quote:
Originally Posted by KH_fanGirl_SW View Post
For a traditional material I would use Wool. However it may be too heavy for your costume and I am not sure what your budget is. Otherwise I would look in the Muslin part of your fabric store and look for a thick gray color one. It will be lighter than wool, easier to sew, and it is something that will look legitimate. Usually muslin is used as a liner or for making patterns so it is usually cheap which is also good.

Anyway I hope that helps
My budget for the costume is relatively high despite my perusing for 'good deals' on acceptable alternatives -- especially since I plan to reuse the costume for future cons and some of its gear over again for future costumes. The frugal side of me wants to stay cheap, while the perfectionist side is demanding I get it as close to what it would be as possible -- and I'm kind of giving in to my perfectionist side, so anything is fine, really.

So... I'll look into the muslin, along with the other recommendations from the other help I got. Going shopping this weekend for fabric, and I'm hoping I find some of the fabric I need this week. Thanks!

Oh, and weight is really no problem. I'm very used to walking around with a lot more weight than my own, lol. Thickness, though, CAN be a bit of an issue since insulated fabric will make the desert temperatures here unbearable.

Last edited by Song's Mistress : 09-24-2011 at 02:42 AM. Reason: More to add to the post
Song's Mistress is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:41 PM   #163
koi-ishly
Dreamer

I was hoping for some help. I've been doing a lot of research for my next cosplay. I'm not sure what type of fabric I should be focusing on for this dress. I'm looking for a blue purple fabric to make a tiered dress. Most of my searches when looking for the fabric I've stuck to purple, plum, or eggplant that come up with a lot of jersey. Other fabrics that come up are organza, silk (a bit too pricey), bridal satin and twill.
Reference Image

Fabric 1
Fabric 2 - I really want this color, but the fabric is jersey.
Fabric 3
Here I've found some fabrics with the color that I like, and I'd really like to order swatches but most of the time it's not an option.

I am not afraid to dye the fabric it something I've never done. If I can't find a suitable purple would it best to at least have a purple fabric and dye it to the color that I need or start with some other color entirely? Like a blue and then dying it to purple.
Unread 09-25-2011, 03:03 PM   #164
Akune-chan

This is going to be my first MAJOR project so I would like as much help as I could get!

More references:
http://i954.photobucket.com/albums/a...hots_41512.jpg
http://i130.photobucket.com/albums/p...l_speaking.jpg
http://i377.photobucket.com/albums/o...er/Grell13.png

I am planning to cosplay Grell Sutcliff from the series Kuroshitsuji/Black Butler and I honestly have no idea where to start. Mostly I'll be making the red coat and his vest and the arm bands, however I am horrible when it comes to materials.

Does anyone have ANY idea?

[Please send a message with your ideas. I tend to forget where I posted last Dx ]
Unread 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #165
gazettejrocker
gazettejrocker

I need some help. I was wondering if anyone knew where I could find textured white fabric that mimicked the scales on the snake in this picture: http://www.petmonologues.com/pet0222...nakescale1.jpg

Thank you
gazettejrocker is offline   Reply With Quote