Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 310 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-12-2012, 10:47 PM   #331
Aesceus
Local Moose Friend

Quote:
Originally Posted by Odile View Post
Don't see any reason why it would be wrong.

The sleeves and corset, agreed that cotton is too shiny for the look of the rest of the outfit. If it were me, I would definitely use soft leather or a soft leather look vinyl for the corset. The sleeves would be interesting in a coarsely woven, softer material. The material I'm thinking of is the stretchy woven stuff that the the hippie fire twirler folk use for those head wraps.

Have you considered batik techniques for the scarf? It's been used for dying various fabrics, including linens, for ages.
Fire Twirler Hoppie Folk? Please do elaborate ~ XD
Shoes+ Corset = some type of non-shiny Vinyl. Sleeves = whatever the material is mentioned above.

Batik? I think they do that in fashion tech. I wouldn't have to paint the whoooooole other parts and waste wax. Just make a 'border' and dip it in the colour I want, right? Just make sure to dry it...

Hal-Con 2013:
Garudamon - 15%
Amon - 10%
Aesceus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-13-2012, 08:01 PM   #332
Odile
Comic Book Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aesceus View Post
Fire Twirler Hoppie Folk? Please do elaborate ~ XD
Shoes+ Corset = some type of non-shiny Vinyl. Sleeves = whatever the material is mentioned above.

Batik? I think they do that in fashion tech. I wouldn't have to paint the whoooooole other parts and waste wax. Just make a 'border' and dip it in the colour I want, right? Just make sure to dry it...
Fire Twirler Hippie Folk. Particularly the Byron Bay, Nimbin peoples who come out for alternative festivals. They all dress in this almost woodland inspired style with drapey sleeves and lap-laps and everything like that. The material in mind would be something similar to what they make dreadlock head wraps out of, like this. It has texture for interest and is stretchy for comfort. The ones at my local (flea) market come in solid colours too.

As for the batik, yup, make a border but maybe dampen the fabric and paint each panel with the dye just in case of droppage. There will be a line between panels, but the wax could be used to create another border and so on and so forth.
Unread 02-13-2012, 08:25 PM   #333
Odile
Comic Book Zombie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lulexiaa View Post
If anyone could PLEASE help me before I make a topic asking for help! T___T

I know NOTHING about fabric. Im kinda a cosplay/sewing noob.

If anyone can give me advice on what fabric to use for her SKIRT, it would really help me soo much! T___T

http://images2.wikia.nocookie.net/__...a_Nsu-Yeul.png

I want it to have that same frill appeal xO
Maybe a stiff cotton sateen or a stiff silk such as dupioni. The real issue is how the fabric will crush when you sit down etc.
Unread 02-14-2012, 07:51 PM   #334
Falcun

This looks like a really useful thread, and it's just what I need right now!

I'm thinking about making a costume, and I want to make sure I have everything planned out before even purchasing the materials I'll be using.

My character of interest: A Team Dim Sun Admin from Pokémon Ranger: Shadows of Almia (farthest left in the pic linked below).

http://i.neoseeker.com/ca/pokemon_ra...rt_8ZdCl.j pg

I'm stumped on the vest, as I don't think I can simply buy and alter a vest that looks similar to it. It looks as though I'm going to have to make the entire thing on my own; And I'm okay with that. I just need to know what type of fabric to use! I want something matte, or otherwise doesn't shine, with a fairly... stiff, I guess... consistency that will help it keep its shape and NOT wrinkle up like common felt or a t-shirt.

Do keep in mind that this is my first time making a costume, or even cosplaying at all for that matter. I have minimal experience with sewing, and I'd rather not fight with a really strong material.
Falcun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 12:46 AM   #335
Komakii
Riku

Tried searching this thread but i couldn't find anything that really answered my question; so might as well just post it myself. xD

I'm making Yukio Okumuras outfit from Ao No Exorcist, and i really have no idea what fabric would be best;;

I really want it to be something that wont look stiff and something that i can make fitting somewhat close to my body, but still have that nice fabric look. If that makes sense; any suggestions? Thanks so much in advance!

http://oi40.tinypic.com/14y0mmf.jpg

** Found my fabrics! XD thanks anyways!

Last edited by Komakii : 02-21-2012 at 12:54 AM.
Komakii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-19-2012, 11:42 PM   #336
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

I need advice on what fabric type to use for this Chizuru's sleeves. I was thinking of using twill but there's a chance I might not be able to find twill in that color in stores so I want another type of fabric that can give the right look. Thanks. ^_^

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-20-2012, 11:24 PM   #337
Zazu
;D

I'd like a second opinion on Sheena Fujibayashi's outfit.

I was thinking cotton? But mostly because I have no honest idea what I'm doing... Though I feel like the material would all be the same. Any suggestions?
Zazu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:26 AM   #338
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zazu View Post
I'd like a second opinion on Sheena Fujibayashi's outfit.

I was thinking cotton? But mostly because I have no honest idea what I'm doing... Though I feel like the material would all be the same. Any suggestions?
I don't know much about fabrics, but I would agree with cotton. Maybe twill for the purple jacket thing.

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 07:39 PM   #339
Zil

Stretch fabric noob here looking for some advice. I'm looking to do a Sarah Kerrigan costume from Starcraft II sometime in the future and I'm looking for my best fabric option.

Here's the best shot I can get of her costume from the game.

http://images.wikia.com/starcraft/im..._SC2_Cine1.jpg

This is one of the most well made costumes I've seen done of her. I love how the fabric looks very solid and kind of thick. Just from seeing and wearing white underarmor I know that white stretch fabric can be translucent. I'm assuming the more expensive the fabric, the more opaque and nice looking it is. Is there a specific name for higher quality spandex that I can use to distinguish what kind of stuff I want to look for? Am I even looking for spandex? Thanks in advance

http://2.bp.blogspot.com/-KPTowNiw0z...0/DSC_0030.JPG
Zil is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 08:12 PM   #340
Penlowe

Spandex is actually a brand name, but like Band Aids & Kleenex, has become synonymous with the product which is actually four way stretch double knit (quite a mouth full, yes? now you know why we just say Spandex).
Anyway, here is a clue for online shopping to help you find what you need: fabric is nearly always listed with a weight. It'll say something like "pink 3 oz. poly cotton blend knit suitable for lingerie" or whatever. The key is the "3 oz." part. That is how much a certain amount of the fabric weighs in ounces (a square yard? a square meter? dunno, doesn't really matter). Levi's jeans are usually a 7oz.twill, Dockers Khakis are about a 5 oz. twill. your average Hanes tee is about a 1 oz. knit.

Swimsuit knits are usually 3-5oz. fabrics, good high quality leotards are usually heavier, in the 6-9 oz. range. Cheap Halloween quality leotards are usually about 3oz. knits.

So, now armed with information, you can go fabric shopping.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-21-2012, 10:05 PM   #341
Zil

Ah that's brilliant! Thanks Penlowe!

EDIT: I'm looking at some products on Spandexworld and have another question. They have 4 way stretch Neoprin, which I know is normally used for wetsuits and similar things. Has anyone here ever used it for a costume? How was it to work with/ how did it look? It seems nice and thick like the costume I linked in my first post.

Last edited by Zil : 02-21-2012 at 10:14 PM.
Unread 02-22-2012, 04:10 PM   #342
Penlowe

Neoprin would probably look awesome, is more than likely totally opaque (nothing will show through) but the reason it's is used for wet suits is because it helps retain your body heat in a cold environment without taking on water.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-22-2012, 11:27 PM   #343
Zil

Ah, yes. I've worn wetsuits on warm days.....it's terrible. And I'm planning on wearing this to a summer con. Scrap that idea! Thanks for the help, I think I've found some material that will work well.
Unread 02-23-2012, 01:21 PM   #344
tsau-mia
Crazy Detail Mastermind

Hello. I'm getting ready to make my full sewing costume (it's always been armor for me) and I was wondering if I could get a little help.
My fiance and I are thinking of going to PAX as League of Legends Characters. I would like to be Riven:

And he would like to be Shaco:

The problem is, I think I will do the white parts of Riven's costume in a white wool (similar to cloaks and such) and line it on the inside with some sort of cotton wicking just in case it's a little warm. Shaco I'm not too sure about. I've been looking at the really fancy Mardi Gras and Carnival jesters, but I'm not sure what fabric to go with, or even if I want to have a more traditional pattern on it for the fancy factor. I know he's a demon jester though, and I can't imagine lace or floral designs on him. Any help would be appreciated!

Last edited by tsau-mia : 02-23-2012 at 01:25 PM.
tsau-mia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 10:32 AM   #345
Debz

Ok, I'm cosplaying as white mage Refia from FFIII and I'm not sure what material to use for a cloak.

I'll be wearing it in May so I don't want to use something heavy like wool because I'll get heatstroke or something but I don't want something so light that it will flap about in the wind like mad.
Debz is offline   Reply With Quote