Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 297 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-26-2012, 06:10 PM   #346
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

I have a probably rather stupid question and this seemed like a good place to ask. I need to buy some fur for a hat (well, to cover the hat) and was wondering if you guys could give me any advice. I've heard that cheap fake fur is a nightmare to work with and being a sewing newbie I guess I'm not really sure what I'm looking at quality-wise when it's in front of me. :/

Unread 02-26-2012, 09:18 PM   #347
Diana_Sakura

Hey there! I was wonder if you guys can help me out with what kind of fabric to use for this cosplay? :3
Villetta Nu
and for Karen's outfit

Planned Cosplay:
Mizore Shirayuki
Yuki Cross/Kuran
Orihime Inoue (arrancar)
Rukia/Orihime (school uniform)

Moka Akashiya (Outer Ver.)
Yoruichi
Kallen Kouzuki

Last edited by Diana_Sakura : 02-26-2012 at 09:39 PM.
Diana_Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-26-2012, 09:42 PM   #348
SafetyPinBandit

The jacket for Amaimon (Ao no Exorcist) really has me stumped. I'm wanting to say it should be more of a thicker material, but at the same time, it needs to be all flowy at the bottom.... any suggestions?

http://www.cosplayisland.com/files/c.../Amaimon_1.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/aonoexorcist...ghting_Rin.jpg
SafetyPinBandit is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 08:04 AM   #349
ChaosFoxCostuming

I'd like to do a vocaloid magnet cosplay sometime and I was thinking about suitable fabric. I'd like something that would stand out a bit more and look elegant opposed to what it looks like most people tend to use. Then I came across this picture of a Luka cosplayer who used velvet for her dress and it looked really nice. Now I've worked with velvet quite a few time's but I'm wondering would a stretch velvet be weird for this costume?

Here are a few picture's I haven't decided which design I'd like to go with yet or if I'd rather cosplay as Luka or miku so just use them I guess as a generalization of what I'd be going for. I'm most likely going to mesh together the design's since there isn't exactly and official version of it. I'd like to go for a really dramatic effect like I said though so Large bows added lace, possibly extra layer's of skirts and maybe even lace attached to the bottom of the skirts. Also if velvet seem's to be an okay choice would I be better off using stretch velvet or regular velvet that doesn't have stretch to it? I was just thinking more for a nice fit and because my previous experiences with velvet have always been the stretch kind.

http://download.minitokyo.net/Vocalo...per.422981.jpg

Here's a few cosplay picture's

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/3/2...02179888_o.jpg
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/..._MorDiKkIo.jpg
http://www.399cosplayshop.com/images...ku-Magnet2.jpg

Last edited by ChaosFoxCostuming : 02-27-2012 at 08:09 AM.
ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 01:21 PM   #350
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mademoiselle View Post
I have a probably rather stupid question and this seemed like a good place to ask. I need to buy some fur for a hat (well, to cover the hat) and was wondering if you guys could give me any advice. I've heard that cheap fake fur is a nightmare to work with and being a sewing newbie I guess I'm not really sure what I'm looking at quality-wise when it's in front of me. :/
Well, putting fur or fake fur onto an existing hat, you likely won't be using a sewing machine, which takes a lot of the issues people have with fur/fake out of the equation. Definitely get enough to practice with some scraps before starting your item, sew it, glue it, cut it, etc. Beyond that, look at it critically. does it look like plastic? or like fur? when you look at it do you want to pat it? look at it from six feet away, does it just look like so much fuzz? or does it look like a critter? look at it from ten feet away, that's the 'first impression' distance for a lot of wearables.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diana_Sakura View Post
Hey there! I was wonder if you guys can help me out with what kind of fabric to use for this cosplay? :3
Villetta Nu
and for Karen's outfit
That is generally a very structured looking outfit, I'd use good old broadcloth, in a medium to heavier (bottom weight) weight. probably a poly-cotton blend will look better & keep a crisper appearance once pressed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SafetyPinBandit View Post
The jacket for Amaimon (Ao no Exorcist) really has me stumped. I'm wanting to say it should be more of a thicker material, but at the same time, it needs to be all flowy at the bottom.... any suggestions?

http://www.cosplayisland.com/files/c.../Amaimon_1.jpg

http://images.wikia.com/aonoexorcist...ghting_Rin.jpg
Anything cut long & wide will have some drape and flow to it, even if it's heavy fabric. I have a winter cloak made of two layers of heavy woolen suiting and a nice breeze can make it float around my knees in a romantic and picturesque manner. It is because the fabric hangs all the way from my shoulders that it will do that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheCosplayFox View Post
I'd like to do a vocaloid magnet cosplay sometime and I was thinking about suitable fabric. I'd like something that would stand out a bit more and look elegant opposed to what it looks like most people tend to use. Then I came across this picture of a Luka cosplayer who used velvet for her dress and it looked really nice. Now I've worked with velvet quite a few time's but I'm wondering would a stretch velvet be weird for this costume?

Here are a few picture's I haven't decided which design I'd like to go with yet or if I'd rather cosplay as Luka or miku so just use them I guess as a generalization of what I'd be going for. I'm most likely going to mesh together the design's since there isn't exactly and official version of it. I'd like to go for a really dramatic effect like I said though so Large bows added lace, possibly extra layer's of skirts and maybe even lace attached to the bottom of the skirts. Also if velvet seem's to be an okay choice would I be better off using stretch velvet or regular velvet that doesn't have stretch to it? I was just thinking more for a nice fit and because my previous experiences with velvet have always been the stretch kind.

http://download.minitokyo.net/Vocalo...per.422981.jpg

Here's a few cosplay picture's

http://img.auctiva.com/imgdata/9/3/2...02179888_o.jpg
http://th07.deviantart.net/fs70/PRE/..._MorDiKkIo.jpg
http://www.399cosplayshop.com/images...ku-Magnet2.jpg
IMO, stretch velvet combines all the negative aspects of both spandex & velvet. It can look great when used well, but can multiply the flaws of something made from it as well. If you are good at stretchy stuff, go for it.

That is actually a tricky outfit. the wide light colored band (despite the dramatic variations of the samples given) sits at the narrowest part of the body for most females, with dark across the bust. It can create the illusion of a fat belly and no boobs if you do it wrong, even if you have a perfect figure. I'd tinker with exactly where the color band sits on my body before finalizing the dress. No matter how well it's made, if it doesn't look good on you, it won't be a winner.

Also, please iron it before taking pictures, unlike the girl in the second photo... :OCD twitching:
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 04:56 PM   #351
ChaosFoxCostuming

Thank's so much. Actually I'm pretty well acquainted with stretch fabric and slightly acquainted with velvet but never for something so dramatic. I may decide to go with regular velvet instead if that seems to be the safe route I'm not sure yet. Idk if you or anyone else has any tips they can give me about working with velvet?

Also thanks for the advice about the white band I didn't know that it could create that illusion. As I've never come across that issue's before with my costuming. I'll defiantly be tinkering around with that a lot then. I don't want to look like a ball with no boobs xP. Yes I'd defiantly iron it I iron everything if I can before wear.
ChaosFoxCostuming is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 05:43 PM   #352
MoonWingSamurai

Can you help me decide/identify which fabric to use?

I'm in the process of gathering materials for my cosplay project, but I'm a bit stuck on what kind of fabric to use for the cape shown in the attached photo (sorry I don't have better images). Anyway, as you can see the cape is matte (not shiny) black with a very shiny gold lining. It appears to be quite soft and flowing. I was thinking some sort of velvet-like or polyester fabric might be good for the black side, and a liquid metallic lame for the gold lining. I don't have time to actually visit my local fabric store to see any samples, so I'll be purchasing the fabric online (most likely ebay if I can find what I need there). I'd appreciate suggestions as to exactly what fabric you think has been used to create the cape in the photo, or anything similar that will mimic the style as closely as possible. Thanks!
Attached Images
File Type: jpg cape.jpg (83.6 KB, 0 views)
MoonWingSamurai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 06:42 PM   #353
Diana_Sakura

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
That is generally a very structured looking outfit, I'd use good old broadcloth, in a medium to heavier (bottom weight) weight. probably a poly-cotton blend will look better & keep a crisper appearance once pressed.
Thanks!

Planned Cosplay:
Mizore Shirayuki
Yuki Cross/Kuran
Orihime Inoue (arrancar)
Rukia/Orihime (school uniform)

Moka Akashiya (Outer Ver.)
Yoruichi
Kallen Kouzuki
Diana_Sakura is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-27-2012, 10:04 PM   #354
Mademoiselle
Resident Gravity Tester

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Well, putting fur or fake fur onto an existing hat, you likely won't be using a sewing machine, which takes a lot of the issues people have with fur/fake out of the equation. Definitely get enough to practice with some scraps before starting your item, sew it, glue it, cut it, etc. Beyond that, look at it critically. does it look like plastic? or like fur? when you look at it do you want to pat it? look at it from six feet away, does it just look like so much fuzz? or does it look like a critter? look at it from ten feet away, that's the 'first impression' distance for a lot of wearables.
Thank you so much.
Unread 02-28-2012, 03:10 PM   #355
Poe-Raven

hi, I was wondering if someone could help me with this outfit:

Sorceress Edea

Initially I was going to use velvet for the dress but it has a sheen to it that puts me more in mind of satin. However my local fabric shop only carries synthetic blended fabrics with the kind of weight and sheen I was hoping for.

This wouldn't be a problem except I'll need to dye the fabric to get the black>purple colour gradient and synthetic fibres of course just won't take the colour.

I'm dying to get started on this costume~!
Poe-Raven is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-28-2012, 11:19 PM   #356
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Help? Lol, I don't even know what else to say. I just don't even know where to start on this, especially fabric wise.

Outfit in question The character is the one at the front of the picture.

Also, if I use fabric paint to paint the blue, I'd need a relatively smooth fabric. I used fabric paint on a linen-look fabric and that... well it was unpleasant. xp

Side thought, would bias tape alone the edgeing be a good idea, if I could dye it or get it to match the paint? Instead of painting over the hem, which I've always thought looked strange. Or, instead of fabric paint, a paint-on dye (that exists, right? >>)

ARGH! I'm so confused...

Last edited by ShadowDrac : 02-28-2012 at 11:23 PM.
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 12:01 AM   #357
{{wanderfu}}

Hi there
Anyone have fabric suggestions for this dress?:
http://alyce-m.tumblr.com/post/17259122455

I'm currently wavering between some kind of stretchy material or something like a twill... but I haven't had very much experience with fabrics at all. This will probably be the first thing I actually sew. hehe.. hopefully everything turns out alright in the end.
{{wanderfu}} is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:21 PM   #358
Poe-Raven

Sorry if this appears again later, I'm new and I think the links in my last attempt to post are holding it up appearing here.

I'm trying to make a Sorceress Edea costume and I'm stuck on the fabric. I like the sheen and weight of satin but as a synthetic fabric it won't dye. I'm set on getting the black > purple gradient, so if I can get my hands on that light lilac colour I'd be pleased, but I could work with white quite happily. If anyone knows what kind of fabric would be best and/or where I could get it I'd be very grateful.
Unread 02-29-2012, 03:41 PM   #359
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poe-Raven View Post
I'm trying to make a Sorceress Edea costume and I'm stuck on the fabric. I like the sheen and weight of satin but as a synthetic fabric it won't dye. I'm set on getting the black > purple gradient, so if I can get my hands on that light lilac colour I'd be pleased, but I could work with white quite happily. If anyone knows what kind of fabric would be best and/or where I could get it I'd be very grateful.
I'm assuming by "satin" you mean "polyester satin", which is what's usually findable -- satin is the weave itself and not the fibre. Cotton sateen is probably the most readily findable (try your local fabric store; failing that, there are a number of online fabric retailers that should carry it -- try this thread) and easy-to-work-with equivalent, but you can also find rayon or silk satins (albeit usually at a higher price).

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowDrac View Post
Outfit in question The character is the one at the front of the picture.
Side thought, would bias tape alone the edgeing be a good idea, if I could dye it or get it to match the paint? Instead of painting over the hem, which I've always thought looked strange. Or, instead of fabric paint, a paint-on dye (that exists, right? >>)
IMO, a cotton or polycotton twill would work for that, or a heavier-weight broadcloth or equivalent -- you get some texture from the twill weave, but nowhere near what you'd get with a looser slubbed fabric like linen.
You can paint with certain dyes (though it usually requires a resist to keep them from spreading, and still they have to be set and rinsed afterwards), or there are very fluid fabric paints (Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow is one) that flow like dyes but heat-set like paints. If you prefer the bias tape method, consider applique instead -- dye the fabric, cut your appliques from it and make your own bias binding. That'll give you much better colour consistency most of the time, with the bonus of making them look the same. Just my two cents.
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab

Last edited by myalchod : 02-29-2012 at 03:47 PM.
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-29-2012, 04:40 PM   #360
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post
IMO, a cotton or polycotton twill would work for that, or a heavier-weight broadcloth or equivalent -- you get some texture from the twill weave, but nowhere near what you'd get with a looser slubbed fabric like linen.
You can paint with certain dyes (though it usually requires a resist to keep them from spreading, and still they have to be set and rinsed afterwards), or there are very fluid fabric paints (Jacquard Dye-Na-Flow is one) that flow like dyes but heat-set like paints. If you prefer the bias tape method, consider applique instead -- dye the fabric, cut your appliques from it and make your own bias binding. That'll give you much better colour consistency most of the time, with the bonus of making them look the same. Just my two cents.

Dye-Na-Flow was what I was thinking, I'd forgotten the name. XD And thank you bringing up homemade bias tape. I feel like a derp de derp for forgetting you can do that yourself, haha.

I was considering the paint/dye route over applique because I didn't want it to appear to be two layers of fabric, but one seamless piece. The only problem with paint is that it really takes away from the flow of the fabric (IMO, what little I've done), which was why I was thinking something like dye... but if Dye-Na-Flow is more fluid, like a dye, I think that's probably the way I'll go. I've seen both techniques done and I love them both, so I guess I'll need to think about it.

Thank you a hundred times over! I really appreciate the help.

Edit: Derp. Is there such thing as a stretch twill? I'm trying to figure out what to do about the base jumper/bodysuit he's wearing under all that... I figure I can put in a zipper, no problem... I guess I'll ask when I go to Joann's next time.

This is why I hate trying to pick out fabric on my own, haha.

Last edited by ShadowDrac : 02-29-2012 at 04:44 PM.
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote