Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:31 PM   #31
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by happagal View Post
What fabric should be used for a school unifrom that needs to look like it been ripped?
The fabric that can be used to show ripping the best is cotton.

-Uniquecreator
uniquecreator is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-26-2011, 11:33 PM   #32
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geny789 View Post
What fabric should I use for this?:
http://www.cosplayhouse.com/Katekyo-...ersion-01.html
There is a vinyl that works the best for this type of project. You may want to line it because it tends to be hot and sticky.

-Uniquecreator
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:35 PM   #33
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jazzlover99 View Post
What fabric should i use for march's outfit from eternal sonata?
http://www.creativeuncut.com/gallery...2.html?gr_i_ni
Any cotton or cotton base fabric would be best because it will allow you to do the applique work easier or if you want to go the painting the design on the garment, then cotton will also be the best fabric to use. Then you have the lace edging for the bottom hem.

-uniquecreator
Unread 06-26-2011, 11:47 PM   #34
Hikari25

Next spring(Colossalcon in Ohio), I'm going to be cosplaying Hatsune Miku, from Vocaloid.(Regular Outfit)
I need more opinions than anything else as I already have a few ideas as to the fabric I want to use.
All reference videos/pics show that Miku's outfit is shiny. However, I'm a dancer, and my group performs a lot, especially at this con(we got hired, so we do performances, a panel, etc, which means a lot of hours dancing and a lot of sweat. :P) This means that I value flexibility, washability, and to preferably not sweat through my shirt(How un-Miku is that? xD)
So here are my options, which I was hoping I could get feedback from people on ^^:

1)Vinyl: The correct level of shine, and overall the most accurate fabric in my opinion. Plus, I wouldn't be able to sweat through it. However, I wouldn't be able to wash it easily after dancing. I'm also a little worried about this melting if any of the wiring in the cosplay gets too warm. ^^;

2)Satin/Silk: This is probably my least favorite choice, though it's the one I've seen done most often. My dance uniform is made of one of these(I can't really tell which), and it looks nice, but it terrible to clean and keep in nice shape. However, it also has the correct level of shine, and I'm less worried with problems with electronics.

3)Suiting: Not shiny at all, but washable and durable, and a lot more comfortable to wear than either of the other choices.

Basically, it comes down to accuracy(vinyl) vs. wearability(suiting). Which do you guys think is more important in a cosplay?
Hikari25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 11:12 AM   #35
happagal
Step 2: ?

thanks. now I just need to find the right color red.

Sakura Con 2012
Satellizer el Bridget ~ Freezing ~ 85%
Hitomi ~ Dead or Alive ~ 0%
happagal is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:23 PM   #36
kanancom

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari25 View Post
Next spring(Colossalcon in Ohio), I'm going to be cosplaying Hatsune Miku, from Vocaloid.(Regular Outfit)
I need more opinions than anything else as I already have a few ideas as to the fabric I want to use.
All reference videos/pics show that Miku's outfit is shiny. However, I'm a dancer, and my group performs a lot, especially at this con(we got hired, so we do performances, a panel, etc, which means a lot of hours dancing and a lot of sweat. :P) This means that I value flexibility, washability, and to preferably not sweat through my shirt(How un-Miku is that? xD)
So here are my options, which I was hoping I could get feedback from people on ^^:

1)Vinyl: The correct level of shine, and overall the most accurate fabric in my opinion. Plus, I wouldn't be able to sweat through it. However, I wouldn't be able to wash it easily after dancing. I'm also a little worried about this melting if any of the wiring in the cosplay gets too warm. ^^;

2)Satin/Silk: This is probably my least favorite choice, though it's the one I've seen done most often. My dance uniform is made of one of these(I can't really tell which), and it looks nice, but it terrible to clean and keep in nice shape. However, it also has the correct level of shine, and I'm less worried with problems with electronics.

3)Suiting: Not shiny at all, but washable and durable, and a lot more comfortable to wear than either of the other choices.

Basically, it comes down to accuracy(vinyl) vs. wearability(suiting). Which do you guys think is more important in a cosplay?

I really have to say that even though some official pictures of Miku's shirt show it to have a bit of lustre, shiny fabrics are a huge no-no. I've seen vinyl, satin, silk, and more in Mikus and they all just look really... meh. I recommend a nice, strong but soft grey suiting fabric. Trust me- it'll look and feel a LOT better, especially in pictures.

Example:

Shiny vs. Matte

In my opinion, the matte looks much better. Also the second girl's picture is in daylight as opposed to a con hallway, but trust me, matte looks so much better under flash.

Dragon*con
Assassin Apprentice - AC:Brotherhood; Zelda - LoZ: Skyward Sword; Sweet Raiden - Sweet Snake Figumate; Wander - Shadow of the Colossus
kanancom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 02:40 PM   #37
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hikari25 View Post

*snip*
If you want somewhere in-between shiny and not, you could look for a cotton sateen -- that'll give you some of the sheen that it sounds like you want, but the added comfort/breathability of a cotton -- and without some of the troubles that poly or silk satin would give you. (It also means, if you run that way, that you can dye it to however exact of a shade you want ... but I'm a dye junkie so I tend to think about that. XD )

Of your three options, I'm inclined to say go with the suiting -- especially if you're performing under stage lights. Vinyl would be murder, IMO. And if you're going to be in it all day, with those performances to boot, comfort over accuracy makes sense to me when you're not wandering out into left field and choosing something completely unsuitable.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab

Last edited by myalchod : 06-28-2011 at 02:44 PM.
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 03:16 PM   #38
firecloak

What type of material would be good for this?

Last edited by firecloak : 07-06-2011 at 01:05 AM.
firecloak is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2011, 09:36 PM   #39
Syri

http://voguepatterns.mccall.com/v803...hp?page_id=260

The largest pattern variation, on the left. I'm thinking I wanna do a knot but I'm not sure. I want a fabric that drapes well, and is soft, without being see through or flimsy
Syri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:16 PM   #40
DaniiChan
something clever.

I too am making a Daenerys outfit, though a different one. The top however is causing me difficulty...

I went to many stores in NYC and couldn't really find what I was looking for... does anyone have any suggestions of something I could make work on the internet? My other idea was to buy burlap fabric and weave brown yarn (as well as other miscellaneous threads/things...) into it, but that would take quite some time.... No matter what I use, I will probably 'weave' in some other things to give it that messy look, but I want to find a good base... any suggestions?
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-01-2011, 10:27 PM   #41
uniquecreator
Costume Designer

This is going to require some work no matter what you use. I would try getting a heavy weight linen fabric in the color required or in beige and then dye it. Then I would pull the fabric apart to give it that stretched out - decomposed look. Then fray the edges and work the fabric to drape the way you need it to match the top in the picture. Forget about weaving other yarns into the piece because you will be there forever doing that. Another alternative would be to go thrift shop hopping and try to find a sweater that may give you the same look and dye it if necessary to match design.
Unread 07-05-2011, 09:55 AM   #42
Samzilla

So I will hopefully be doing Sister Sweden of SatW for AUSA and already have shoes and wig lined up. I'd be making the dress of course but I'm in a bit of a bind as to what material I should go with. Satin and quilting cotton are out of the question. Plus I'll be using fabric paints for the yellow part. So if anyone could suggest a good fabric, please let me know. Thank you!

picture of Sister Sweden: http://satwcomic.com/sports-in-finland
Samzilla is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 12:21 PM   #43
stitchez

Doing a quick commission for a friend - who knows nothing about what he wants in fabric :| since i've yet to ever own a school uniform, or have to make one, I was wondering what sort of fabric would be good to use for the boys top from Blood C?

ref pics:
one
two
  • Kanji Tastumi (winter casual?) - P4
AX 2014
  • Blue Beetle - Young Justice
  • Secret Cosplay? (pending)
  • Tony Stark - Marvel (if Pepper goes)
  • Snake - Kuroshitsuji
  • Souda Kazuichi - SDR2
  • Leon Kuwata - DR (?)
  • Notebook - DHMIS
  • Erwin Smith and/or Marco Bodtt - SNK
ANIME CALIFORNIA 2014
  • Leon and/or Souda - DR/SDR2
  • Erwin and/or Marco - SNK
PMX 2014
  • Marco Bodtt - SNK
  • Secret Cosplay (reveal if not done at AX)
stitchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 01:49 PM   #44
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Poplin or a lighter twill are the two fabrics that come to my mind immediately -- neither will be too heavy for the shirt, but should give you a crisper finish than (for example) quilting cottons would. And both are used for shirting.
Ichihara Yuuko - butterfly kimono (xxxHolic / Tsubasa Reservoir Chronicle)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2011, 07:22 PM   #45
Shy_NC_Girl

ok this may not be the best reference picture but it's the only good one i could find for now.. Anyway i was wondering if you guys could recommend what kind of fabric i should use on feferi's skirt from Homestuck. Now my mind keeps thinkin satin but i've been at coscom long enough (even though my forum posts doesn't show it, made a new account lol) to know that using satin is practically a cosplay sin

Also this will be my first time actually making something like this to hopefully i won't have to work with anything too hard
Attached Images
File Type: jpg feferi_by_sillyapple-d3c73bs.jpg (111.5 KB, 0 views)
Shy_NC_Girl is offline   Reply With Quote