Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 180 votes, 4.99 average.
Unread 04-21-2012, 08:39 PM   #466
Lookathere
nope.avi

I have a Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur 4) cosplay in the planning stages. This guy for those who are unfamiliar.

I'm wondering what sort of material I could use to make the overcoat with. Seeing as it's tattered at the hem, I need something that is somewhat resistant to unraveling if the edges are left raw. ((If that's not possible, any suggestions on what method to use to keep it from unraveling, while still looking worn and tattered, would be great!))
Lookathere is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-22-2012, 08:43 AM   #467
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by liyosa View Post

Would a middleweight cotton be better for the dress? I'm wondering if I should go with a patterned brocade actually. I've seen the effect in other Terra cosplays, and it's actually nice. It's not accurate, but it has a very pretty effect that adds up to an Amano-like effect. Since brocade is slippery, though, I'm a little reluctant about handling it, so that's mainly why I'm leaning towards cotton - I'm more used to working with that. Would middleweight cotton be too heavy though?

Also (.... there are a lot of questions here: apologies!) could I buy scarves for the ones in the middle, or would it be better to sew up more cloth for that?

Thanks again for all the advice you gave . It was really helpful, and I'll definitely keep it in mind.
I doubt you will find scarves in the right patterns for her skirt swags, I'd go with full fabrics. you can just zigzag the edges to tidy them up. if the swag looks like 6" , cut it at 12", gathering and draping like that usually takes double the fabric that it appears to.

on brocade: only the cheap ones are slippery, good brocades have a lot more oomph to them than the Walmart Chinese print ones. I was thinking more along the lines of light upholstery type brocade.

I don't think anything will be too heavy for this dress, short of sail cloth as it is such a clean-lined sheath, a really heavy fabric is only going to look better, no sleeves or big pleats to get bulky.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 03:45 PM   #468
PrincessChrista
TiddlieWinks

Hi! So I plan to do this character -

Reference Picture 1
Reference Picture 2
Reference Picture 3
Reference Picture 4but I'm unsure what to do for material. The top of her dress is very similar to Princess Kraehe [http://faculty.prioryca.org/tturner/..._or_Kraehe.jpg] so I'm looking for something that would work both the top of the dress and the bottom. Any ideas?

In the day no one can see us,

but at night

we become truly
beautiful.

Cosplays/Conventions for 2012:
Gijinka Lapras 100%
Gothic Lolita 80%
Neru Akita 100%
Lacus Clyne 60%

Kotatsu-Con
Sakura-Con
Anime Expo Vancouver
Anime Revolution
Cos & Effect

My Tumblr c:

Last edited by PrincessChrista : 04-22-2012 at 03:54 PM.
PrincessChrista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:29 PM   #469
Caerix
Gamer

I'm trying to make the health kit from Left 4 Dead, and someone told me to use vinyl fabric, but I wanna get a second opinion. Preferably, the fabric shouldn't be waterproof because I need the dye to stay
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 10:59 PM   #470
o01101011
Just call me Digit

Going to 2nd a thin vinyl, however you can't use dye on vinyl. What part did you need to dye?
o01101011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-22-2012, 11:50 PM   #471
Puddinglol
Faaaaaantastic.

Nevermind this post

Last edited by Puddinglol : 04-30-2012 at 01:59 AM. Reason: Found solution
Puddinglol is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 01:36 AM   #472
Caerix
Gamer

Quote:
Originally Posted by o01101011 View Post
Going to 2nd a thin vinyl, however you can't use dye on vinyl. What part did you need to dye?
I planned in using fabric dye for blood splatters, so small amounts just about everywhere :/
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 07:11 AM   #473
liyosa

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I doubt you will find scarves in the right patterns for her skirt swags, I'd go with full fabrics. you can just zigzag the edges to tidy them up. if the swag looks like 6" , cut it at 12", gathering and draping like that usually takes double the fabric that it appears to.

on brocade: only the cheap ones are slippery, good brocades have a lot more oomph to them than the Walmart Chinese print ones. I was thinking more along the lines of light upholstery type brocade.

I don't think anything will be too heavy for this dress, short of sail cloth as it is such a clean-lined sheath, a really heavy fabric is only going to look better, no sleeves or big pleats to get bulky.
Oooohhh okay. Thank you for the response. I'll keep all this in mind when I go shopping for fabric. Thank you again .
liyosa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-23-2012, 12:54 PM   #474
shroomsky

I'm planning a Princess Zelda cosplay from Skyward Sword, and I have an idea of what I might want to use, but am unsure of the name. Sominthing with some stretch I was thinking, but I'm very bad with fabrics x.x
ref:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvejymA4A31r1nn6n.png
and
http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images...ard_Sword).png
thank you
-pre-timeskip Simon

Otakon 2012
-Legend of Zelda - Zelda (skyward sword)
-Bakuman-Crow-
Vocaloid- SF-A2 Miki
shroomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:43 AM   #475
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lookathere View Post
I have a Yoshimitsu (Soul Calibur 4) cosplay in the planning stages. This guy for those who are unfamiliar.

I'm wondering what sort of material I could use to make the overcoat with. Seeing as it's tattered at the hem, I need something that is somewhat resistant to unraveling if the edges are left raw. ((If that's not possible, any suggestions on what method to use to keep it from unraveling, while still looking worn and tattered, would be great!))
My gut instinct says to use a heavy, nubbly textured raw silk, but yeah, kinda pricey (unless you stumble upon some old curtains in a yard sale or thrift store, both are excellent sources for such fabric). It's got a lot of drape and swing to it, so a canvas or a broad cloth will be pretty stiff. a wool polyester blend would do nicely too if you must buy new yardage.

Regardless of fabric choice, I say tear up the hem and then use something subtle to stop the fraying further, a line of Stitch Witchery (iron on seam tape) or maybe the glue type Fray Check (depending on your fabric).
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:44 AM   #476
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerix View Post
I'm trying to make the health kit from Left 4 Dead, and someone told me to use vinyl fabric, but I wanna get a second opinion. Preferably, the fabric shouldn't be waterproof because I need the dye to stay
Most bags like that are made from trigger, then lined with a waterproofing plastic. Trigger has enough cotton that it will take dye or paint splatters nicely.
Unread 04-24-2012, 08:46 AM   #477
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by shroomsky View Post
I'm planning a Princess Zelda cosplay from Skyward Sword, and I have an idea of what I might want to use, but am unsure of the name. Sominthing with some stretch I was thinking, but I'm very bad with fabrics x.x
ref:
http://media.tumblr.com/tumblr_lvejymA4A31r1nn6n.png
and
http://images.wikia.com/zelda/images...ard_Sword).png
thank you
jersey is what you are looking for. it comes in many different weights, so look for heavier types to get a good result.
Unread 04-24-2012, 12:00 PM   #478
Coco Rocha
Glamorous Gamer Girls

Quote:
Originally Posted by kanancom View Post
Could I get a suggestion for the fabric of Daenerys Targaryen's dress from Game of Thrones?

It's really driving me crazy! Also can I get some suggestions for the metal ring on the bodice?

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v3...91lo1_1280.png
Definitely silk! No other material will give you this look and drape. You have to get silk chiffon most likely.. It's going to be expensive though....
Coco Rocha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 04:41 PM   #479
LadyMisaGaga
Beautiful, Dirty, Rich

I'm making a Catherine cosplay and wonderig if I should make both the top and bottom the same fabric or different and what kind of fabric. Thanks!

Reference pix
LadyMisaGaga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-24-2012, 09:53 PM   #480
Strawberrylawli

Kneesock's school uniform jacket, I was thinking a cotton twill but i'm not sure because i don't really know what normal school uniform blazers are made out of?
Strawberrylawli is offline   Reply With Quote