Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 47 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:02 AM   #481
Caerix
Gamer
 
Caerix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Most bags like that are made from trigger, then lined with a waterproofing plastic. Trigger has enough cotton that it will take dye or paint splatters nicely.
Awesome I was really not wanting to have to use sharpies. Do you know of any specific places/sites that sell high-quality trigger? Price isn't a big deal cuz I'll only need a couple yards of fabric, and a chunk of that will be for dye testing anyway.
__________________
~ ~
Cosplays
~Russia (APH) - 100%
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 04-25-2012, 01:16 AM   #482
schmidt
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2012
Posts: 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
actually, I'd be inclined to use duck or a canvas type material, those will be easier to stiffen to get that fun silhouette as opposed to a leather or vinyl which will sag under it's own weight or result in a lot more structure underneath to maintain the shape.
ohh, I like the look of duck material. thank you for the recommendations c:
what about a fabric like what is used in this coat? http://www.clothes-fashion.com/wp-co...rench-coat.jpg
schmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 02:47 AM   #483
KittyKax
Little Miss Starlight
 
KittyKax's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2006
Posts: 415
Soo I have a question!! ^W^

I plan on Cosplayign Julia from the Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos movie and I'm going to be cosplaying what she looks like during the final battle and I'm lost on how to do her pants.



So my problem is that her pants appear to be form fitting, but they're ripped at the leg and thigh. So I need pants that are form fitting, but not stretchy because if they're stretchy then the fabric's gonna curl when I cut it >O<

And if I do end up having to make them(not something I wanna do >M<) then I need the fabric not to fray like crazy.

So what fabric do you suggest I get/make the pants out of? Please help?? ^_^"'
__________________
KittyKax is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 06:54 AM   #484
MalteseLizzie
Registered User
 
MalteseLizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 284
Quote:
Originally Posted by PrincessChrista View Post
Hi! So I plan to do this character -

Reference Picture 1
Reference Picture 2
Reference Picture 3
Reference Picture 4but I'm unsure what to do for material. The top of her dress is very similar to Princess Kraehe [http://faculty.prioryca.org/tturner/..._or_Kraehe.jpg] so I'm looking for something that would work both the top of the dress and the bottom. Any ideas?
I think that black material is satin, but you could also use a medium weight cotton.
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 10:46 AM   #485
shroomsky
Registered User
 
shroomsky's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2011
Posts: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
jersey is what you are looking for. it comes in many different weights, so look for heavier types to get a good result.
Thank you very much I'll look for it!
__________________
Anime Boston 2012
-(Just Dance 3)Spectronizer- Sentai Express(yellow)
-Izaya Orihara
-pre-timeskip Simon

Otakon 2012
-Legend of Zelda - Zelda (skyward sword)
-Bakuman-Crow-
Vocaloid- SF-A2 Miki
shroomsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:31 PM   #486
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Strawberrylawli View Post


Kneesock's school uniform jacket, I was thinking a cotton twill but i'm not sure because i don't really know what normal school uniform blazers are made out of?
real uniform blazers are often made from poly cotton blend twill, you are right on the money there The weight and appearance of said category of fabric though is W I D E as well as price range, I've seen stuff that would suffice for $7/ yard up to $18/ yard for really good looking true suiting material.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:35 PM   #487
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Caerix View Post
Awesome I was really not wanting to have to use sharpies. Do you know of any specific places/sites that sell high-quality trigger? Price isn't a big deal cuz I'll only need a couple yards of fabric, and a chunk of that will be for dye testing anyway.
I've bought it in person at Hancock fabrics many, many times. I used to work at a place that did cheer leading stuff and we'd make bags in school colors for the megaphones & poms and those girls would stuff EVERYTHING in those bags with their poms, they were wonderfully tough! It usually comes in 60" wide widths, as opposed to dress fabrics in 45" and usually is around $8/ yard.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 05:40 PM   #488
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by KittyKax View Post
Soo I have a question!! ^W^

I plan on Cosplayign Julia from the Fullmetal Alchemist: Sacred Star of Milos movie and I'm going to be cosplaying what she looks like during the final battle and I'm lost on how to do her pants.



So my problem is that her pants appear to be form fitting, but they're ripped at the leg and thigh. So I need pants that are form fitting, but not stretchy because if they're stretchy then the fabric's gonna curl when I cut it >O<

And if I do end up having to make them(not something I wanna do >M<) then I need the fabric not to fray like crazy.

So what fabric do you suggest I get/make the pants out of? Please help?? ^_^"'
The thing is, you will be cutting, tearing, and dealing with the fraying issue whether you make them from scratch or start with a thrift store pair, so I suggest saving yourself time & money and buy pants.

Once pants are acquired, FIRST test an area you know you will be removing with a couple different fray stopping options, like Fray Check, Stitch Witchery, etc. figure out which one will suit you best. "Draw" where you are going to cut off the pants with your chosen fray stopping element, following all instructions for said element. Cut off the pants. Done!
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-25-2012, 09:20 PM   #489
Caerix
Gamer
 
Caerix's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2011
Posts: 132
Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
I've bought it in person at Hancock fabrics many, many times. I used to work at a place that did cheer leading stuff and we'd make bags in school colors for the megaphones & poms and those girls would stuff EVERYTHING in those bags with their poms, they were wonderfully tough! It usually comes in 60" wide widths, as opposed to dress fabrics in 45" and usually is around $8/ yard.
I don't think there's a Hancock store in my area, but the Internet's probably got a few options.
__________________
~ ~
Cosplays
~Russia (APH) - 100%
~Zebra (Vocaloid) - 90%
~Zoey (L4D) - 75%
Caerix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-26-2012, 06:32 PM   #490
Rochelle321987
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2008
Posts: 4
Marvel Black Widow catsuit

So I've decided to make a catsuit for Black Widow because of how unique and specific the design is. But I have no idea what fabric to use. It has a certain texture to it that I can't figure out. Help?

http://worrierprincessme.files.wordp...pg?w=320&h=429
http://worrierprincessme.files.wordp...dow1.jpg?w=594
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zbQJ2O5QeB...ck-widow-2.jpg
Rochelle321987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-28-2012, 09:25 PM   #491
Linaloid
Registered User
 
Linaloid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 26
If anyone could help me here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=287457

With a skirt for Furude Rika.
Linaloid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 02:56 AM   #492
MalteseLizzie
Registered User
 
MalteseLizzie's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 284
I can't figure it out either. It's got to be some kind of spandex. Maybe spandexhouse website would have something similar?
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 05:20 AM   #493
Akaem
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 15
Hi! I'm about to start making my first costume and I've chosen Link's Wind Waker Variant (Toon link)
Pic: http://fc06.deviantart.net/fs46/f/20...ingDreamer.jpg

What would be the best material to make his tunic and hat from?
Thanks!
Akaem is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:23 AM   #494
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Rochelle321987 View Post
So I've decided to make a catsuit for Black Widow because of how unique and specific the design is. But I have no idea what fabric to use. It has a certain texture to it that I can't figure out. Help?

http://worrierprincessme.files.wordp...pg?w=320&h=429
http://worrierprincessme.files.wordp...dow1.jpg?w=594
http://3.bp.blogspot.com/-zbQJ2O5QeB...ck-widow-2.jpg
That actually looks like a twill, that obviously has some Spandex in it. 'stretch twill' & 'stretch denim' will be likely to get you linked up to fabrics suitable.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-30-2012, 07:24 AM   #495
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,060
Quote:
Originally Posted by Linaloid View Post
If anyone could help me here:
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=287457

With a skirt for Furude Rika.
you have a reply on that thread, I can't add anything.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:47 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.