Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 05-17-2012, 11:26 AM   #511
suriyoru

Which fabric would you recommend for the dress? I want it to be soft and light since I would be wearing it in the summer. Could I use the same fabric for the hat as well and would that kind of fabric be good for the pink ruffles?
suriyoru is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-30-2012, 10:33 AM   #512
Sporkster
Nomlet

I can't think of a good fabric for this. My brain is failing me today DX I need fabric for the main cheerleader outfit, and being from a cheerleaderless country, I have no idea what cheerleader costumes are made from

Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 02:52 PM   #513
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sporkster View Post
I can't think of a good fabric for this. My brain is failing me today DX I need fabric for the main cheerleader outfit, and being from a cheerleaderless country, I have no idea what cheerleader costumes are made from
Heavy double knit polyester, same as many sports jerseys. stretchy, tough, washes well, comes in any color you want
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-30-2012, 03:49 PM   #514
Sporkster
Nomlet

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penlowe View Post
Heavy double knit polyester, same as many sports jerseys. stretchy, tough, washes well, comes in any color you want
Thank you so much~
Sporkster is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 02:20 AM   #515
Shadow7

Hi there So I'm planning to cosplay Anne Hathaway's Catwoman. Here are some photos:
http://www.hollywoodbackwash.com/wp-...y-catwoman.jpg
http://cdn.screenrant.com/wp-content...an-Poster.jpeg
http://www.horror-asylum.com/news/pi...oman-getup.jpg

I got this for it: http://www.venacavadesign.co.uk/Prod...t_Pattern.html and will be using the pattern for the black catsuit shown there.

So, I'm a beginner and I've got a few questions. I obviously need to use a stretchy material. I've heard that sewing stretchy fabric is more difficult than regular fabric and you need special equipment. How true is that and what do I need?
I'll be wearing this during the Arizona summer so I was thinking a cotton lycra would be best, because cotton breathes, right? But the only cotton lycra I've found does not have any texture (the costume does have like a leather texture). Does anyone know where I can find a stretchy cotton with texture?
Or, should I just get a stretchy fabric with the right texture, but that isn't cotton? Will there be a great difference?
Thanks!
Shadow7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 09:19 AM   #516
sharkgrrl2000
sharkgrrl2000

Rosemon Cosplay

Hi

I want to cosplay Rosemon from Digimon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure as to what sort of materials I should use to get it to look like her. For example the middle part of her is cut out with skin showing should I use something stretchy like spandex? Or shiny like pleather? Same goes for the cape should I use something more silky and flowy?

Any suggestions will help

Thanks!

Last edited by sharkgrrl2000 : 05-31-2012 at 09:22 AM. Reason: putting in pic
sharkgrrl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-31-2012, 11:29 AM   #517
Badalight

I'm trying to figure out what fabric this girl used for her johnny joestar cosplay.

http://cosplayers.acparadise.com/123...46114eedbc.jpg

Also, can anyone help me find that fabric with the star pattern on it online? I'm having trouble locating it and even a commissioner was unable to find something like it.
Badalight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 01:11 AM   #518
MalteseLizzie

Quote:
Originally Posted by sharkgrrl2000 View Post
Hi

I want to cosplay Rosemon from Digimon.

[IMG][/IMG]

Not sure as to what sort of materials I should use to get it to look like her. For example the middle part of her is cut out with skin showing should I use something stretchy like spandex? Or shiny like pleather? Same goes for the cape should I use something more silky and flowy?

Any suggestions will help

Thanks!
This is a tricky one. I think her leotard thing would be comfier to wear if made from a stretchy material: I think pleather would make it difficult to move in. Oh, and to keep the middle part secure, maybe you should have some invisible plastic straps (see the link http://www.yayahan.com/index.php?opt...9&I temid=266 ), or else create a flesh coloured panel.

Alternatively, order an accessory or some clothing from my Etsy store.

Etsy Deviantart Blog

Last edited by MalteseLizzie : 06-01-2012 at 01:14 AM. Reason: New info
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 07:13 AM   #519
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

Any thoughts on Princess Agitha?

------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-01-2012, 08:50 AM   #520
sharkgrrl2000
sharkgrrl2000

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalteseLizzie View Post
This is a tricky one. I think her leotard thing would be comfier to wear if made from a stretchy material: I think pleather would make it difficult to move in. Oh, and to keep the middle part secure, maybe you should have some invisible plastic straps (see the link http://www.yayahan.com/index.php?opt...9&I temid=266 ), or else create a flesh coloured panel.
I looked at the pics I don't even see the invisible straps :S Where are the located on her?
sharkgrrl2000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #521
Talossa
We try hardcore!

I've got kind of a multipart question. I'm needing to make a cloak/cape type thing and the only fabric I can find in the right color is lightweight broadcloth! Is it possible to like, underline this (I think that's the term) with heavier fabric to make it drape properly? This is something I really don't want to custom dye unless there's no choice.

And just in case, what fabrics should I be looking for for this? Most places online seem to recommend wool (or velvet, but the character is a peasant-type so that wouldn't really be appropriate) but I absolutely cannot find wool in the right color! Is there any other fabric that would give a good drape? (and maybe be friendlier to my budget?) Thanks!

Last edited by Talossa : 06-02-2012 at 12:46 PM. Reason: I typ gud
Talossa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 02:49 PM   #522
Lottie_Funk
Captain Fantastic

Kid Icarus Pit Cosplay

Hi, I am stuck with how to make a Kid Icarus Pit cosplay, I am really stuck with how to make the main toga part of the outfit and props.

http://timenerdworld.files.wordpress...-pit.jpg?w=452

Thank you
Lottie_Funk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:04 PM   #523
Penlowe

Yes, you can line a light fabric with something else to give it some 'oomph'. in your case, I'd probably use a flannel or other soft plain weave fabric. The easiest way is to layer the two fabrics together when cutting and treat them as one fabric all the way through the sewing process. In this particular case, a proper lining wouldn't be quite as helpful in making the outer layer look good, treating the two fabrics as one at all the seams will adhere the two layers together better, giving you the drape you desire.
Unread 06-02-2012, 04:45 PM   #524
Kokoro
Classic.

>__< So, I'm doing a group Vocaloid Matryoshka cosplay, and it's not the hoodies I need help on, actually, but the tracksuits. xD
We're buying normal tracksuits, but I reaallllyyyy want to edit the collar.

http://www.animecrazy.net/forums/mem...a-vocaloid.jpg

For example, I want to edit the collar of our jackets to look like Miku's collar.
But, I'm not sure what fabric that is. I would say cotton, but I don't know how I can find it segmented like it is in Miku's collar there.

"Failures do what is tension relieving, while winners do what is goal achieving." -Dennis Waitley
Kokoro is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2012, 08:38 AM   #525
Penlowe

I don't know these characters. The one in green has a rib-knit collar. You can but this ready to use at most fabric stores. It comes in various sizes and lengths, sometimes even with stripes.