Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 294 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-03-2012, 02:18 PM   #526
waymee

Hi! I'm trying to cosplay Horizon Ariadust, from Kyoukai Senjou no Horizon, but I couldn't find anyone that has already done it, so I have absolutely no reference!
I'm really stuck in what kind of material to use on the entire thing >< but especially on the boots and feet details, and the shirt, that needs to be tight on the belly and kinda puffy on the arms...
Any help is welcome!

Some reference pictures...

waymee is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-03-2012, 09:44 PM   #527
aod328

HI there

Hi everyone, new to cosplay and everything associated with it. Going to my fist convention soon and am trying to get an agahnim from a Link to the Past costume put together.
Reference pic: http://melorasworld.com/photoalbum/a..._1280x1024.jpg

I'm thinking of aproaching the outfit in three sections (or four depending on how you look at it).
Main red robe with the patterns
Tabard for the middle section with the eye
And more likely then not a skirt for the white on the bottom

I'm not 100% sure of what fabric to make this all out of, my fiance has white skirt that I could use for the bottom but I'm not sure what material would be strong enough yet still breathable for the con. I would prefer not to sweat to death in this thing :P. I have plenty of other questions, but last two for now.

(question clarification)
What fabric would be best suited for the pieces?
How to make the headpiece?
Suggestions for the patterns on the pieces themselves?

I know this is a lot of questions but any comments would be appreciated
aod328 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-04-2012, 10:38 PM   #528
EJade

So I'm trying to make a Team Magma grunt outfit for Otakon. Already got the dress part figured out but I don't know what to make the hoodie part out of. Searching the forums I see most have made it out of fleece. Normally I'd be ok with doing that except for one thing, Otakon is in July which means it's going to be hot. I sweat easily and so fleece is not idea for me to wear in the summer. I also don't want to just buy a good hoodie and cut it in half, so that too is not an option. I came across some rib-knit fabric at Joann's fabric and it's 95%cotton and 5% spandex. It looks like it might be idea for what I need but I'm not sure. Anyone have any advice?
EJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 03:30 PM   #529
NeonPoptarts

Hi guys~ Like my friend above, I need help picking a fabric to bear through the heat of Otakon. D:

I've decided to cosplay Athena Asamiya's 1998 outfit (modest, yet not too much clothing). http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__...asamiya_98.jpg

I'm not sure what to make her dress out of. I was going to go with my friend 'kona cotton', but realized it's a bit heavy, and would be a pain to fit on my correctly (cause I fail at skirt type things). Any other fabric suggestions?
~Throwback Friday

Last edited by NeonPoptarts : 06-07-2012 at 01:29 AM.
NeonPoptarts is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-06-2012, 05:36 PM   #530
Ghastwells

Not sure what fabric to use for the dress and jacket for this:

http://0darker0.files.wordpress.com/...if?w=600&h=506

Never made a dress before. Any suggestions?
Ghastwells is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-07-2012, 10:25 PM   #531
Reily96
Zelda & Kimono Obsessed

Hate to add to the constant questions with no answers but...

So, for quite a long while now, I've wanted to cosplay Ursula of Breath of Fire IV. Her being a soldier and all, I've been rather hard pressed to figure out what fabric to use. I'm not sure they make military fabrics in that color, and if they do, I have no idea where to find it. I think I have to go with the next best thing... And I also have no idea what that would be. Any suggestions?

For the Future:
True Form Midna - Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess
Malon - Legend of Zelda
Snow Queen Elsa - Frozen
Reily96 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-09-2012, 08:22 PM   #532
darkice11

Hey everyone i was going to cosplay the vocaloid IA and i was wondering what type of fabric to use for her skirt and top, any help is appreciated thanks!
darkice11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-10-2012, 02:37 AM   #533
Spelunker

Hi forum,
This is my first post after plenty of lurking. I'm a little unsure of something before I start my project:
I'm going to make a racing suit (I'm pretty new to costume making), and I'm not entirely sure what fabric to buy. I want it to have a shinyness to it (gives it the fireproof look). Are there any huge disadvantages to Polyester Shantung? What about "Costume Satin & sheers" as they call it at Joanns? Sassy Satin at Hancocks? I was hoping the Sateen cotton would have more of a shine, but the bottomweight sateen they had was duller than the photos on the website.

Here is a crude collage of the City Connection guy I'm trying to go as.

And here is a costume for sale. I'd like to resemble the materials used, but what is it?
Spelunker is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 11:44 AM   #534
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reily96 View Post
So, for quite a long while now, I've wanted to cosplay Ursula of Breath of Fire IV. Her being a soldier and all, I've been rather hard pressed to figure out what fabric to use. I'm not sure they make military fabrics in that color, and if they do, I have no idea where to find it. I think I have to go with the next best thing... And I also have no idea what that would be. Any suggestions?
There are other bottomweights you could use -- twill or lighter cotton canvas -- that'd give the feel of military materials but let you get the colours you want (or if you can't find them, can be found in a white 100% cotton that'd be dyeable).

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spelunker View Post
I'm going to make a racing suit (I'm pretty new to costume making), and I'm not entirely sure what fabric to buy. I want it to have a shinyness to it (gives it the fireproof look). Are there any huge disadvantages to Polyester Shantung? What about "Costume Satin & sheers" as they call it at Joanns? Sassy Satin at Hancocks? I was hoping the Sateen cotton would have more of a shine, but the bottomweight sateen they had was duller than the photos on the website.
The photo you've linked looks like some kind of satin; you don't want a poly shantung because that's a slubbed fabric, and what your pictures show is pretty smooth. In satins, try to find the heavier ones and avoid anything super-shiny, because it'll show every little wrinkle and flaw when photographed. More matte satins are more forgiving, but will still read "shiny" in photographs. In this photo, my purple top is cotton sateen and the burgundy obi is a fairly matte satin, to give an idea of how they can photograph.

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkice11 View Post
Hey everyone i was going to cosplay the vocaloid IA and i was wondering what type of fabric to use for her skirt and top, any help is appreciated thanks!
Pictures would help.
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-11-2012, 09:20 PM   #535
redsheep

Question for a Peggy Carter.

This is the best picture I can find of the uniform. I'm fairly certain it's the same uniform throughout the film, just the jacket's either out or not.

Wool. -shivers-

I'm allergic to actual wool, and synthetic wool sounds like it wouldn't breathe very well.

Any suggestions for a similar fabric that will have the right look and, most preferable, won't break the bank?
redsheep is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 01:44 PM   #536
TMLiza
Make All The Things!

Quote:
Originally Posted by darkice11 View Post
I would say twill would work for both pieces.

And I hate to add more questions to the pile but anyone have ideas on what to use for Sarasvati? I was thinking maybe crepe back satin but I'm not sure if it will give the same "look". Also since I'm planning on embroidering the bottom part, would the satin make it difficult to embroider?

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cospix~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

TMLiza is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #537
Penlowe

Quote:
Originally Posted by touchmon View Post
... anyone have ideas on what to use for Sarasvati? I was thinking maybe crepe back satin but I'm not sure if it will give the same "look". Also since I'm planning on embroidering the bottom part, would the satin make it difficult to embroider?
This costume has a very Indian feel to it, India = raw silk, nubbly and yet still has a shine to it, better flow & drape than a polyester satin. Polyesters made to look like this kind of silk pass very well, but in all honesty you can get this type of silk pretty cheaply.

Embroidering any lightweight fabric, regardless of fiber content or weave, requires a good stabilizer. Whether you use extra layers of the fabric itself, or purchase one of the many varieties of stabilzer out there on the market, you need it.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 01:03 PM   #538
grimloveline

Ok so I plan to do a cosplay of the White Mage Clavat (the one cirlced in blue) and I was wondering what fabrics should I use? I'm going to be wearing this at Sakura Con 2013 so I want something thats light weight and not too hot but still accurate :D
grimloveline is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-13-2012, 07:45 PM   #539
Amastre

So, I am a totally newbie when it comes to cosplay, although I have sewn some rather shoddy excuses for kimonos and capes when I was younger. I am planning on cosplaying as Lucia from Venus Versus Virus, and not really sure what fabric I should use for the dress. Thinking it should be something with a bit of weight so that it will hold a couple of soft pleats in the skirt, but not familiar enough with fabric terminology to be certain. As for the insides of her sleeves, her choker, and headband, I somehow get the feeling that there would be a subtle sheen to the fabric, and a recommendation on that would be great as well. The below pictures are clickable thumbnails to see a larger image.

Amastre is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2012, 07:39 PM   #540
chickenoll
Most Anxious Around Rain

Im quite new to making cosplay, since I have only bought before. (I still know how to sew things together) I was wondering if you could give me any fabric suggestions? I am planning on making pirate austria and I have a nice image in my head and have found some patterns I like. I have found everything else besides these items I need: Pattern 1 (Vest) Pattern 2

Projects:
Pirate!Austria (Planning Stage)
Feferi (Shopping Stage)
chickenoll is offline   Reply With Quote