Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 274 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-15-2012, 10:25 PM   #541
Spelunker

Thanks for all the advice myalchod. Unfortunately the satin I picked out at the craft store (Monece) turned out to be translucent so now I'm shopping for some kind of liner. Also, I found that one side of the fabric was too shiny but the opposite is just right.

Or maybe most costumes use liners? I'm pretty new to this.
Spelunker is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2012, 07:10 PM   #542
kitsuneheart

I'm working on a Suicune gijinka but I'm not sure what type of cloth to use. While not 100% exact, my design looks similar to this absol gijinka: http://fc00.deviantart.net/fs70/f/20...by_Cowslip.jpg

I was thinking some type of silk or cotton? I think that's what japanese kimono's are made of; I'm not sure to be honest... ^^'
Leena Toros - Pilot outfit (Zoids: New Century) - 15%
GMG!Lucy Heartfilia (Fairy Tail - Anime) - 10%

Upcoming Cosplay Ideas ~
Too many to even list. xD

Animazement 2013~
Fan-Dancer Suicune Gijinka (Pokemon), Sakura 2nd Movie Opening(CCS)
Formal Human Luna (Sailor Moon), Hatter!Rin (Vocaloid), Spirit!Zelda (LoZ:ST)

kitsuneheart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-18-2012, 06:06 PM   #543
ArgyArgyle

So I'm planning on cosplaying Chaos Hero from Shin Megami Tensei and I'm having trouble trying to figure out what type of fabric would be best for his coat.

http://images3.wikia.nocookie.net/__.../Chaoshero.jpg

Atm, all I'm finding in that print are polycotton blends and I'm not sure if it would work or not.
ArgyArgyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 06:29 PM   #544
xblackravenx

So I'm planning my Noiu cosplay (from Prince of Tennis) and I have no idea what tracksuits are made from. I'm not after the shiney waterproof type, more the fashion type
(I had a Kappa one about 10 years ago that I loved the feel of .... It was like this one)

Any help would be greatly appreciated
xblackravenx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-20-2012, 11:50 PM   #545
WindNinjaDW
I'm a ninja....word!

First time making a cosplay. Please help...

Hello all. I'm very new to cosplay, and therefore, very new to creating cosplay costumes. However, I'm very interested in learning to create my own cosplay, and it's a goal of mine to enter a cosplay contest someday. That being said, I'm unsure where to begin. I've been lurking the forums for quite some time, looking for hints or suggestions on materials I should buy, what sewing machine would be best for cosplay, and the like. I hope that over time, as I accumulate knowledge, I will be able to contribute back to the cosplay community. For the time being, you guys might see me around quite often trying to pick everyone's brain any minor details I can get.

With all that said, one of the characters I wish to cosplay as is Pre-Timeskip Ren Akatsuki from the anime Fairy Tail.

Here are a couple images just to give you an idea of what he looks like:

I know that I could simply buy a leopard print button-up and a full suit and add the Blue Pegasus emblem on the shoulder, but where's the fun in that. So I was wondering if anyone had any suggestions for what type of fabric I would need to make the suit coat, the suit pants, the Blue Pegasus emblem, and the leopard print button-up. If anyone could help me with this, I'd be eternally grateful

*Kilik Lunge from Soul Eater(2012-13)*
*Ren Akatsuki from Fairy Tail(2013)*
*Garterbelt from Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt(TBD)*
*Trafalgar Law from One Piece(TBD)*
*Omoi from Naruto Shippuden(TBD)*
*Master Xehanort from Kingdom Hearts: Birth By Sleep(TBD)*

Future Conventions of 2013 :

Nan Desu Kan, September 13-15, 2013 Denver, CO
WindNinjaDW is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:07 PM   #546
touchmon
Make All The Things!

I know I asked about this before, but now I want to make all of the details on artbook Saber myself instead of using a brocade. So I need a plain fabric that still has the same "feel". I was thinking casa satin? Or would something a little less shiny be better? Also, can anyone give me an estimate on how much fabric I would need? I'm thinking 4-5 yards? The shawl is the part that's throwing me off. >_>

http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...00236836-1.jpg
http://www.zerochan.net/901571
http://i17.photobucket.com/albums/b6...a600892351.jpg

Fixed!

~DA~ ~Facebook~ ~WorldCosplay~~Cure~ ~ACP~
Quote:
Originally Posted by .PapercutSenvy.
...You are now dubbed the Persona ninja.

Last edited by touchmon : 06-21-2012 at 02:16 PM.
touchmon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 02:09 PM   #547
EJade

@touchmon

Only one of your links work.
EJade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-21-2012, 11:33 PM   #548
ShimmerJester
If Beauty Could Kill

I am planning on cosplaying Medusa from Pet shop horrors. I want some good fabric suggests. I want something in satin/silk that is some what heavier but not overally shiny like a pair of boxer shorts lol.

Attached Images
File Type: jpg 0cc79065.jpg (42.5 KB, 0 views)

Last edited by ShimmerJester : 06-21-2012 at 11:37 PM.
ShimmerJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:08 AM   #549
myalchod
reflections and dreams

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShimmerJester View Post
I am planning on cosplaying Medusa from Pet shop horrors. I want some good fabric suggests. I want something in satin/silk that is some what heavier but not overally shiny like a pair of boxer shorts lol.
There are heavy silks and heavy satins, and heavy silk-satins -- silk is a fibre that comes in a variety of different weaves, and satin is a weave that comes in a bunch of different fibres. /dead horse Look for a low-lustre satin (marketed as "casa satin", "duchess satin", lamour, mystique, or other similar names); it's a synthetic so it's usually easier on the wallet, but good weight and not shiny in the way cheaper poly satins usually are.
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 10:28 PM   #550
ShimmerJester
If Beauty Could Kill

Quote:
Originally Posted by myalchod View Post
There are heavy silks and heavy satins, and heavy silk-satins -- silk is a fibre that comes in a variety of different weaves, and satin is a weave that comes in a bunch of different fibres. /dead horse Look for a low-lustre satin (marketed as "casa satin", "duchess satin", lamour, mystique, or other similar names); it's a synthetic so it's usually easier on the wallet, but good weight and not shiny in the way cheaper poly satins usually are.
Cool thank you so much. I looked at bridal satin but didn't have my colour nor my price range lol
ShimmerJester is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2012, 07:32 PM   #551
ShadowDrac
Sky Pirate

-waves- Here I am again, haha.

So, I would like to make this jacket. The pattern calls for broadcloth, calico, taffeta, or gingham fabrics. However, I would like to make the jacket for fall and winter use, and I'd like it to have a heavy weight (with or without lining). I don't want to use denim, however. I'd like an elegant look, which denim really doesn't offer, in my opinion. I've checked out the local Joann's for the first three of the recommended fabrics and none suited my tastes, and I was unable to locate gingham.

I'd like something that doesn't wrinkle like mad and preferably isn't wool. I was thinking of velveteen, though I have never seen it in person before and have no idea if Joann's carries it.

Jacket pic
~Borderlands 2: Buzzaxe (Slowly getting there)

Fixing:
~Taokaka~ ~Skyrim Mage~

Cosplay Tumblr
DeviantArt

Last edited by ShadowDrac : 06-25-2012 at 07:33 PM. Reason: Image WAY too big.
ShadowDrac is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 01:45 PM   #552
CleoLeo

I would LOVE to cosplay Rei from Evangelion in her plug suit but I am a little bit confused about the fabric. I have been looking at different cosplay pictures and it appears that some have been using a stretch vinyl and others use a sort of Lycra/wetsuit type material ...I guess i just need some advice on what would be best! My sewing skills are above average but I am not very advanced. I am hoping that this project will boost my skill level
CleoLeo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-29-2012, 11:49 PM   #553
Fairypiranha
Evil Midget of Doom

Hiya!

I'm trying to figure out what fabric to use for my Tinkerbell cosplay. I'm thinking I'm probably going to have to paint it so if you have suggestions for that too I'd appreciate it!

Ref Pics:
Pic 1
Pic 2
Pic 3
Pic 4

Thanks!
Fairypiranha is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 12:46 AM   #554
Strawberrylawli

I have no idea what to use for the body suit
Strawberrylawli is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-30-2012, 01:03 AM   #555
TheCosplayFox

Sorry I'm wondering what to use for this? I was kinda thinking Black PVC fabric cause it gives off that look and I've seen most people do it in that type of fabric though I'd probably do a matte version of it cause I hate shiny stuff it looks cheap and photo's awful. Though maybe PVC isn't a good choice I'm open to all suggestions. Also for the inside of the train what would be good to line it with? I was thinking maybe sateen or twill since I don't wanna do satin.

Also any fabric suggestions for other parts of the cosplay are welcome like the frills.

http://ogmansblog.files.wordpress.co...1-large-30.jpg

http://www.origamicupcake.com/wp-con...ay-catwalk.jpg
http://deluscar.files.wordpress.com/...uindrum_03.jpg
http://mon0r.com/wp-content/uploads/...28f853c35a.jpg
http://4.bp.blogspot.com/-urahEVtoUK...drum_Sue02.jpg
TheCosplayFox is offline   Reply With Quote