Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 310 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-21-2012, 07:05 PM   #616
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by AnniLee View Post
Hello All!

I am planning on making this: The Bride from DC's Frankenstein series in the Seven Soldiers of Victory.

http://http://s110.photobucket.com/a...=Bride_001.jpg

Obviously, the main showpiece is the coat - she has four arms, see? Neat, right? Anyway, I've decided that altering the coat from Simplicity 2172 is a good place to start. It has the underbust closure that I need, and I can add a collar... and two extra arms... what am I getting myself into? Haha, oh well. I've done some sewing from patterns, but I'm definitely not yet very experienced!

Anyway, what I was wondering was has anybody tried making this coat out of a heavier material than is called for in the pattern? I think it looks like her coat is a vinyl or leather type material, so that's what I'd like to use, but the pattern calls for much different fabric. If anyone has already made this coat out of a vinyl or pleather, I'd love to know how it turned out.

Does anyone have any other opinions? If I use vinyl/pleather, do I still buy the same amount of fabric? Sorry if that's a silly question... I predict this will be the first of many questions I ask about this project!

Thanks!
I think the pattern is a fair choice, the collar is going to be harder to amend than adding extra arms. Don't forget to add fabric to the suggested yardage to include the extra sleeves, more body parts = more fabric.
I think a very thin leather would be awesome, but might be cost prohibitive. If you have several months, you may be able to scrounge thrift stores for old leather garments. Don't limit yourself to jackets either, there were suede shirts popular for a while as well as long a line skirts done in thin suede. I've made a number of things from recycled leather skirts.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zegram_Ghart View Post
So I was considering having someone (a friend or commisioner) make me Max's Overalls outfit from DC2. (Blue or green version, green preferred) I originally sent my request to a commisioner and they sent me a sample of the fabric they planned to use. It resembled felt, and it was thinner than I imagined when I look at Max's picture.

http://www.rpgfan.com/pics/darkchronicle/art-001.jpg

I was thinking he was wearing something thicker than that. But i'm not even sure where to begin. I thought it I did the blue overalls version I could use Denim, but I wasn't sure if you could get that in green. Also, the shirt looks to be just as thick. I can't see it being thin like a typical t-shirt or button down. I guess my main issue would be if my friend can't do it i'd need to find someone that works with both Denim and thicker cloth.

Any ideas? Thanks!
I agree with denim, the character appears dressed for working, so why would he wear something fuzzy? It sounds like they sent you flannel, which would be fine for the shirt, but not the pants/ overalls. Denim isn't any harder to sew than flannel, it just costs more. If they made that choice based on the budget you gave them, now you know why. There is no fault or blame here just stating what I see.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dvsfurby View Post
Hi! I hope this is an appropriate place for this question!

I'm trying to find fabric to make the Cobra Commander suit for my husband. Here's a ref pic.


After doing some reading, it seems the fabric of choice for suits is wool (superfine 100 or 120). But after hours of looking, I am just coming up blank for that fabric in this color. I expanded my search to include pretty much any wool blend, polyesters, linens (which I'm not sure would look right, but I couldn't find anything in this blue anyway), and other materials listing as "suiting fabric"... and nadda.

Does anyone have any suggestions of other types of materials I could use that would still be weighted enough for suit material (pants and jacket) but might have a better/wider variety of colors available? Or has anyone perhaps (super wishful thinking here) run across someone selling a suiting fabric in this blue?

Thanks!
Trigger would do, it is bottom weight, very tough, and comes in bright colors. It's less refined in appearance than a suiting, sorta like the difference between BDU's and the dress uniform for the US military.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-22-2012, 02:44 AM   #617
jeslo3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2012
Posts: 1
Hello! I'm new to cosplay and sewing, so I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I'm trying to make Zelda's white Goddess dress from Skyward Sword:

but I don't know what fabric to use. Since I'm a novice seamstress, I want to avoid silk (I think it's too shiny anyway. In the game her dress was pretty matte). Preferably I'd like something easy to work with, drapes well, and is moderately flattering.

Thanks in advance for any help!
jeslo3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-26-2012, 09:58 AM   #618
Supercell
Registered User
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 11
Hello everyone!
Im going to make a Black Widow from Iron Man 2 cosplay soon (yes she is also in The Avengers bu the suit looks a little different from movie to movie).
Sooo I might need a little help, you see i have long wondered, how do i give the suit that kind of thickness it has? What fabric should i use?
Please help me ;w;

Supercell is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 11:25 AM   #619
SuzuStarlight
Blade Brave
 
SuzuStarlight's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2010
Posts: 697
Jeslo3: Hum, maybe cotton would be good for this. If you want it a bit shinier, someone from the Sailor Moon section said cotton sateen would be very good as well =)

Supercell: Hum, hard to say. Maybe spandex could work?
__________________
~Work in Progress~



~Up Next~
Sailor Moon ~Classic Musical Fuku~ (Sera Myu)
Joyful Knight Candelira ~Human form~ (Zyuden Sentai Kyoryuger)
Maybe: Eri ~Cheerleader Version~ (Tensou Sentai Goseiger)
SuzuStarlight is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #620
NotGoodCospYet
Registered User
 
NotGoodCospYet's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2009
Posts: 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGoodCospYet View Post
Hello everyone! I'm planning to make a costume of Subaru, from Tokyo Babylon, but I have a problem: I can't seem to find a fitting blue fabric. I need one that comes in this specific color, and that feels and looks good for all the different parts of the outfit, like the jacket, pants, hat and drape; so I need something that is quite versatile.
Also, any advice on where to buy this kind of fabric online would be highly appreciated! _
Thank you so much to anyone who's gonna reply^^
Don't know why, but the image didn't show... I'll try again.
http://i46.tinypic.com/5mb7d4.jpg
http://i49.tinypic.com/2uqk48z.jpg
Hello again guys, I'm still waiting for possible replies to this, and in the meanwhile, found a fabric that hopefully could do it. Firstly, I need to add that I wouldn't like to make this outfit out of simple cotton, so I thought about something that has a little sheen, like cotton sateen. But I can't seem to find it to buy online, in this color. So, if you have any idea on where to find this, or a similar fabric, please share it with me!^^
Ps: I already checked the better known online shops ;-;
NotGoodCospYet is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:42 PM   #621
ADAM+EVE
Awesome
 
ADAM+EVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeslo3 View Post
Hello! I'm new to cosplay and sewing, so I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I'm trying to make Zelda's white Goddess dress from Skyward Sword:

but I don't know what fabric to use. Since I'm a novice seamstress, I want to avoid silk (I think it's too shiny anyway. In the game her dress was pretty matte). Preferably I'd like something easy to work with, drapes well, and is moderately flattering.

Thanks in advance for any help!
A matte spandex-ish fabric could work for draping purposes. But it would look best as layered chiffon, though it may be a tad hard to work with and doesn't drape in the exactly right way.
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 04:46 PM   #622
ADAM+EVE
Awesome
 
ADAM+EVE's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by Supercell View Post
Hello everyone!
Im going to make a Black Widow from Iron Man 2 cosplay soon (yes she is also in The Avengers bu the suit looks a little different from movie to movie).
Sooo I might need a little help, you see i have long wondered, how do i give the suit that kind of thickness it has? What fabric should i use?
Please help me ;w;

Hard to work with but the actual stuff used for the suit; neoprene.
ADAM+EVE is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-29-2012, 10:10 PM   #623
arsenicCatnip
Registered User
 
arsenicCatnip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 96
i don't know what fabric to use for my flame princess cosplay!

i've seen a lot of heavy cotton used and it looks nice and i know it's easy to work with, but i want to take it up a notch and make it more princess-y, since she is a princess, after all!

any suggestions, or should i stick to the cotton?

edit: totally forgot a picture ha

Last edited by arsenicCatnip : 08-31-2012 at 01:25 PM.
arsenicCatnip is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 04:46 AM   #624
pink-lemonade
Registered User
 
pink-lemonade's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2011
Posts: 329
I'll be cosplaying Kurisu Makise and I'm honestly a bit lost on how to make her shorts. To put it bluntly, my sewing machine is not the best (quite old, and gets jammed often) and I'm still fairly new to sewing in general. Any suggestions of what kind of fabric might work okay for me?
pink-lemonade is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 07:49 AM   #625
StarsCASSiOPEiA
Crazy name CAPiTALiZATiON
 
StarsCASSiOPEiA's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2009
Posts: 3,148
arsenicCatnip: Perhaps a silk? Taffeta would give you quite a shine, but any sewing errors you make will be kind of glaring. Personally, when doing this ballgown, using Joann's "special occasions" fabric line (satin in particular) worked for me!

Pink-lemonade: The shine mark on the side of her leg makes me think pleather, much like Yoko's shorts from Gurren Lagann. Unfortunately, that's not a terribly easy fabric to work with.

Personally, I'm working on another version of Suki (Avatar: The Last Airbender) that will be a swimwear version (318). I've already decided on spandex, but the place I want to order from has it in a 6oz weight and a 10oz weight.

Does anyone who has experience working with spandex have a recommendation as to which weight I should choose?
__________________
Upcoming Cosplays
  • Suzuha Amane (Steins;Gate): 25% (Wig Work) Katsucon 2015
  • Magic Armor Link (LoZ: Twilight Princess): 15% (Patterning) Katsucon 2015
  • Emperor Lelouch (Code Geass): 2% (Planning) Katsucon 2015
  • Hilda, Player Character (Pokemon Black): 18% (Sewing) ?????
DeviantART // Tumblr // Facebook
StarsCASSiOPEiA is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:50 AM   #626
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by jeslo3 View Post
Hello! I'm new to cosplay and sewing, so I'm a bit overwhelmed, but I'm trying to make Zelda's white Goddess dress from Skyward Sword:
[IMG]too it out 'cause it's huge[/IMG]
but I don't know what fabric to use. Since I'm a novice seamstress, I want to avoid silk (I think it's too shiny anyway. In the game her dress was pretty matte). Preferably I'd like something easy to work with, drapes well, and is moderately flattering.

Thanks in advance for any help!
I disagree with ADAM+EVE, I would do this in at least a high quality cotton batiste, but it would be gorgeous in a velveteen or even a subtle patterned brocade. I dislike things of this cut made with knits of any type because knit fabrics aren't strong enough to hold themselves up, they mis-shape over the course of wearing and can drag.
here is your pattern, only needs changes at the collar: http://www.simplicity.com/p-2201-costumes.aspx
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 09:57 AM   #627
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by NotGoodCospYet View Post
Hello again guys, I'm still waiting for possible replies to this, and in the meanwhile, found a fabric that hopefully could do it. Firstly, I need to add that I wouldn't like to make this outfit out of simple cotton, so I thought about something that has a little sheen, like cotton sateen. But I can't seem to find it to buy online, in this color. So, if you have any idea on where to find this, or a similar fabric, please share it with me!^^
Ps: I already checked the better known online shops ;-;
Everyone has their own computer/ monitor, and unless we are all color balanced exactly the same way, there is no telling exactly which shade of blue you are looking for, therefore we can only guess.
Frankly, your post asks a lot of questions that are either too hard to answer (like specific color shades) or are set up in such a way that we really can't help you because you already know what you want (cotton sateen). If you've already looked at the most popular on-line fabric sources.... see what I mean?

Alternative options:
1) buy the fabric you like in plain white & dye it.
2) 'settle' for the right fabric in a shade of blue you find imperfect
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:01 AM   #628
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by arsenicCatnip View Post
i don't know what fabric to use for my flame princess cosplay!

i've seen a lot of heavy cotton used and it looks nice and i know it's easy to work with, but i want to take it up a notch and make it more princess-y, since she is a princess, after all!

any suggestions, or should i stick to the cotton?

edit: totally forgot a picture ha
[IMG]removed because it was huge[/IMG]
brocade or like Stars said taffeta. Both are fancier, but not the same ol' same ol' satin. Taffeta will show stitch holes if a seam is opened, and it does fray very easily, but if you could find a moire' taffeta with gold or pink as it's secondary color that would rock
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:05 AM   #629
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by pink-lemonade View Post
I'll be cosplaying Kurisu Makise and I'm honestly a bit lost on how to make her shorts. To put it bluntly, my sewing machine is not the best (quite old, and gets jammed often) and I'm still fairly new to sewing in general. Any suggestions of what kind of fabric might work okay for me?
this time of year the 'costume' fabrics are plentiful. there will be super shiny leather look polyesters in the stores for the next couple months, buy now.

As to your machine, older machines are often quite good, that's when things were built to last. If it's jamming a lot it sounds like it's time for a cleaning & tune up from a professional. Depending on your area this will cost between $50- 80 bucks, but that is cheaper than a new piece of crap plastic machine and will net you a far better result. sewing machines need service every1-5 years, depending on how much you sew. I'd say every sixth multi-piece costume would be about right.
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-01-2012, 10:09 AM   #630
Penlowe
Registered User
 
Penlowe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2008
Posts: 3,858
Quote:
Originally Posted by StarsCASSiOPEiA View Post
arsenicCatnip: Perhaps a silk? Taffeta would give you quite a shine, but any sewing errors you make will be kind of glaring. Personally, when doing this ballgown, using Joann's "special occasions" fabric line (satin in particular) worked for me!

Pink-lemonade: The shine mark on the side of her leg makes me think pleather, much like Yoko's shorts from Gurren Lagann. Unfortunately, that's not a terribly easy fabric to work with.

Personally, I'm working on another version of Suki (Avatar: The Last Airbender) that will be a swimwear version (318). I've already decided on spandex, but the place I want to order from has it in a 6oz weight and a 10oz weight.

Does anyone who has experience working with spandex have a recommendation as to which weight I should choose?
the heavier it is, the thicker & tougher it is. A cheap swimsuit is about a 3oz spandex, a good Speedo racing suit is about a 6 oz spandex, the 10 oz is more like those pants the male gymnasts wear, really heavy duty stuff. Hope that helps.

WARNING! Opinion Incoming!
I like the 316 next to it better, more of a show piece than the minimalist swim suit. the 318 is... kinda boring as a costume...
__________________
Nothing is impossible, but some things are very expensive.
My Etsy shop: http://www.etsy.com/shop/penlowe

Last edited by Penlowe : 09-01-2012 at 10:11 AM.
Penlowe is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:31 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.