Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 44 votes, 4.98 average.
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:01 AM   #91
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I figured out what to make the serafuku top out of, but I need suggestions on a good skirt fabric for a pleated, uniform skirt to go with it. I'd rather not have it be all or mostly cotton, because that stuff wrinkles like a bitch, but it doesn't have to be very heavy. And a minimum of weave pattern in it (like twills and jacquards or such) is preferred.
http://www.cosplay.com/showthread.php?t=19789
--Cotton-poly blend
--wool-blend
--Trigger Poplin

Hopefully this will help. XD I posted this link on the previous page. Here it is again.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:23 AM   #92
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,374
Yeah,a cotton-poly blend would work, only problem is I'm buying the fabric online (I'm on a tight budget, and online is WAY cheaper than at my local Fabricland- as an example, $10 per 60" yard of Duchesse Satin online, to $25 per 45" metre at the store with about three colours), and the sites are SO confusing for finding a good one. They never seem to offer "blends" as a category or say what the fabric's actually good for.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:48 AM   #93
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
Yeah,a cotton-poly blend would work, only problem is I'm buying the fabric online (I'm on a tight budget, and online is WAY cheaper than at my local Fabricland- as an example, $10 per 60" yard of Duchesse Satin online, to $25 per 45" metre at the store with about three colours), and the sites are SO confusing for finding a good one. They never seem to offer "blends" as a category or say what the fabric's actually good for.
What website are you on? Maybe I can help look.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 01:12 AM   #94
Nooby Banana
I made a llama. 8)
 
Nooby Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 655
I'm making a flight suit similar in build to this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...s-myjob-de.jpg

I found what the actual fabric it's made of, but it's military grade (fireproof and all that) and probably either very expensive or unavailable to the public. I'd like to make mine with a similar feel to it. I was thinking maybe twill, but I'm really not sure.

Also, should I line it? And with what, just cheap cotton?
__________________
-Current Projects-
Zarina (Pirate Fairy) - 10%
Lady Thor - 85%
Nooby Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 11:53 AM   #95
momo6548
Lolita in Training
 
momo6548's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2009
Posts: 413
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwalk View Post
As I've said before, many Vocaloid cosplayers tend to lean towards shiny fabric, such as vinyl or PVC. I've seen people use woven cotton or other kinds of cotton and it looked just fine, though. Vinyl and PVC will be a bit harder to deal with than the several types of cotton, because you can't use pins, and the fabric will stick to the machine.
Thanks! I was thinking cotton too, since her costume doesn't look very shiny in her art and I only like shiny costumes if they absolutely have to be like that. I agree about the PVC, I've had to work with it before so if given the option for cotton, I'm going with the cotton xD I'm probably going to have to line it with an extra layer though because while cotton tends to be see-through
__________________
Current Projects:

Goron Tunic Link (Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time)
SF-A2 Miki (Vocaloid)
Super Sailor Mercury (Sailor Moon)
momo6548 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 12:49 PM   #96
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,374
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwalk View Post
What website are you on? Maybe I can help look.
www.voguefabricsstore.com
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:52 PM   #97
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns
 
Umbra.Exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Wow, just as I was pondering what fabrics to use, I found this thread! XD I'm actually trying to make a matador costume. Not saying which character it's for yet. ^^; I want it to look somewhat like the real thing, only more simplified. There's no way I can finish all that intricate embroidery in two months!

Anyways, here are some references:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorrill...es/3906193663/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkN5ArSSWY

I'm especially wondering what to make the pants from. The jacket and embroidered part of the pants seem to be the same material, but here and in other pictures, the seat and front seem to be a different material, usually less shiny. Maybe it's stretchier to allow a better fit?

Also, if anyone could help out with the interfacing, that would be great. As you can see, in this image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dantebusquets/521139021/

...The jackets are pretty stiff... Enough to stand on their own!

And at about 2:56 in this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS2faaeAJg&feature=fvsr
...You can see the interfacing, and how thick it is... (It almost looks like the Wonderflex plastic I used in a mask last semester! XD)

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Any details on any other part of the outfit would be nice too. I live somewhat near the LA fashion district, so finding the fabric shouldn't be particularly hard... But I am on a bit of a budget, another reason I won't be embroidering it all...

...Sorry for the long post. ^^; Thanks for any help in advance!
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:54 PM   #98
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
http://voguefabricsstore.ecomm-searc...yester&x=0&y=0

I simply searched "COTTON POLYESTER". I think these will be fine.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nooby Banana View Post
I'm making a flight suit similar in build to this: http://www.popularmechanics.com/cm/p...s-myjob-de.jpg

I found what the actual fabric it's made of, but it's military grade (fireproof and all that) and probably either very expensive or unavailable to the public. I'd like to make mine with a similar feel to it. I was thinking maybe twill, but I'm really not sure.

Also, should I line it? And with what, just cheap cotton?
You can always walk through the fabrics in the fabric store and just feel and look around for fabric close enough. I think twill would work juuust fine.

One of the fabric cutters at Fabricana once said to me "Most people don't line their cosplays unless it's something they'll be wearing a lot." So I guess it depends on whether or not you /want/ to line it, or how often you'll be wearing it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra.Exe View Post
Wow, just as I was pondering what fabrics to use, I found this thread! XD I'm actually trying to make a matador costume. Not saying which character it's for yet. ^^; I want it to look somewhat like the real thing, only more simplified. There's no way I can finish all that intricate embroidery in two months!

Anyways, here are some references:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/zorrill...es/3906193663/
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wQkN5ArSSWY

I'm especially wondering what to make the pants from. The jacket and embroidered part of the pants seem to be the same material, but here and in other pictures, the seat and front seem to be a different material, usually less shiny. Maybe it's stretchier to allow a better fit?

Also, if anyone could help out with the interfacing, that would be great. As you can see, in this image:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/dantebusquets/521139021/

...The jackets are pretty stiff... Enough to stand on their own!

And at about 2:56 in this video,
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=hqS2faaeAJg&feature=fvsr
...You can see the interfacing, and how thick it is... (It almost looks like the Wonderflex plastic I used in a mask last semester! XD)

If anyone could help me out, I'd appreciate it. Any details on any other part of the outfit would be nice too. I live somewhat near the LA fashion district, so finding the fabric shouldn't be particularly hard... But I am on a bit of a budget, another reason I won't be embroidering it all...

...Sorry for the long post. ^^; Thanks for any help in advance!
I wouldn't suggest using so much interface so that the jacket can stand up on its own, just because this is a costume, and not an actual matador outfit. Unless... you're really going to handle some bulls. Then yeah, go for it. o_o; If you really want to make them stand on their own, though, don't use interfacing. Or at least, the kind of interfacing I know. You'd need to buy a lot and then layer the interfacing over again and again and... well, meh. Too much interfacing. Um, maybe you can put something thick, hard, and flexible in between the lining and the fabric. I can't think of what, but if you find something thick enough it should be able to stand.

The first reference image made me instantly think of satin. It's shiny enough, but really thin. I couldn't get a good view of the matador outfit from the youtube link, though. In the image from flickr it doesn't look shiny, like satin, and I'm having issues on what kind of fabric it could be... @ ___ @

Last edited by clockwalk : 08-09-2011 at 04:11 PM.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 03:55 PM   #99
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast
 
ShinobiXikyu's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2008
Posts: 12,374
heh, I must have missed that heading in their menu. Thanks a ton (though even if Ihad found it, I have no idea what weight is needed for one). ...lawn is WAY too thin, right? And I did order a swatch of kona cotton already, would that also end up too thin or could that work?
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moofingham View Post
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c

Last edited by ShinobiXikyu : 08-09-2011 at 03:59 PM.
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 05:51 PM   #100
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
heh, I must have missed that heading in their menu. Thanks a ton (though even if Ihad found it, I have no idea what weight is needed for one). ...lawn is WAY too thin, right? And I did order a swatch of kona cotton already, would that also end up too thin or could that work?
Something medium weight should be good. XD If you ordered a swatch of Kona cotton already, then when it comes in you should be able to judge how light it is. Something light like silk won't be very good, so again, just medium weight-ish, and it should be fine. ^^
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 07:35 PM   #101
Umbra.Exe
Loves bad puns
 
Umbra.Exe's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2009
Posts: 93
Clockwalk, I know you said I shouldn't make the jacket stiff, but I'm just a perfectionist sometimes. ^^;

I'm not sure the jacket would look right if it wasn't a little stiff, since it looks stiff even while being worn. It doesn't really need to stand on its own, but I would just like it not to hang loosely.

I think I did find a way to make it stiff, but I'm not sure it would work. I did a little search, and found that hat interfacing may be what I'm looking for. They use it for hat brims, fabric bowls... those tend to be stiff and keep their shape. Now I just need to figure out how to make it keep the shape I want...

Oh yeah, I found a couple more references...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Traje_de_luces.jpg
http://www.flamencoshop.com/bullfigh..._of_lights.htm

I also forgot to say that the fabric doesn't have to be shiny... Especially not the pants, I don't want a shiny butt. XD I was just wondering what fabric I could use that will be thick enough for pants, but also look smooth. (Denim and bottomweight fabric have a bit of a texture on them...) Oh, and I will be wearing tights/leggings under them, so maybe it doesn't need to be as thick as I think...?

It might be good if the pants fabric is slightly stretchy, but I don't know. Oh, and I do have some jersey/knit fabric, it stretches, but I don't like the texture, and it doesn't seem right... and the cotton I've used for a shirt was smooth, but way too thin for pants...

I have a pair of shorts that has nice fabric, but I have no clue what type it is... It just says "100% Cotton" on the tag. It's not too heavy, and not as textured as bottomweight fabric... It doesn't really stretch, but that's fine, I think. Do you think if I bring them to the store, maybe they could help find a similar fabric? Or would that just be weird?

Again, sorry for the long post... It's a habit. I try to give as much info as I can... But then this happens...
Umbra.Exe is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 09:01 PM   #102
stitchez
Registered User
 
stitchez's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 366
I'm going to be making my friend a body suit - well maybe. It's for a fan design of nepetacestor - but if I do end up making this commission, what material do you suggest for a body suit? its going to be worn under tall boots, giant cat paw half gloves and a cape thingy made of fur some something light and breathes well?
__________________
Cosplay Plans
Wondercon 2014
  • Bolin - LoK
  • Kanji Tastumi (winter casual?) - P4
AX 2014
  • Blue Beetle - Young Justice
  • Secret Cosplay? (pending)
  • Tony Stark - Marvel (if Pepper goes)
  • Snake - Kuroshitsuji
  • Souda Kazuichi - SDR2
  • Leon Kuwata - DR (?)
  • Notebook - DHMIS
  • Erwin Smith and/or Marco Bodtt - SNK
ANIME CALIFORNIA 2014
  • Leon and/or Souda - DR/SDR2
  • Erwin and/or Marco - SNK
PMX 2014
  • Marco Bodtt - SNK
  • Secret Cosplay (reveal if not done at AX)
stitchez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-09-2011, 10:22 PM   #103
clockwalk
Time won't wait for you.
 
clockwalk's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 65
Quote:
Originally Posted by stitchez View Post
I'm going to be making my friend a body suit - well maybe. It's for a fan design of nepetacestor - but if I do end up making this commission, what material do you suggest for a body suit? its going to be worn under tall boots, giant cat paw half gloves and a cape thingy made of fur some something light and breathes well?
Spandex, nylon, or lycra, or maybe even a blend between those.
http://www.seattlefabrics.com/stretc...cking%20Lycras
"Wicking Lycras
Wicking is the act of pulling moisture and sweat away from your skin and dispersing it throughout a material; a critical attribute in high performance base layers. The fiber surface is treated to make it hydrophilic, while the core remains hydrophobic. The combination lifts water away from the skin toward outer clothing layers without soaking the cloth."

Supplex Lycra
100% nylon lycra that feels like cotton due to the fine filaments of nylon that are used to knit the Supplex Lycra. Lightweight and durable. Great for cycling jerseys and gear.

Cotton Lycra
Lycra/cotton blend for active gear. The comfort of cotton with the fit of Lycra.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Umbra.Exe View Post
Clockwalk, I know you said I shouldn't make the jacket stiff, but I'm just a perfectionist sometimes. ^^;

I'm not sure the jacket would look right if it wasn't a little stiff, since it looks stiff even while being worn. It doesn't really need to stand on its own, but I would just like it not to hang loosely.

I think I did find a way to make it stiff, but I'm not sure it would work. I did a little search, and found that hat interfacing may be what I'm looking for. They use it for hat brims, fabric bowls... those tend to be stiff and keep their shape. Now I just need to figure out how to make it keep the shape I want...

Oh yeah, I found a couple more references...
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Traje_de_luces.jpg
http://www.flamencoshop.com/bullfigh..._of_lights.htm

I also forgot to say that the fabric doesn't have to be shiny... Especially not the pants, I don't want a shiny butt. XD I was just wondering what fabric I could use that will be thick enough for pants, but also look smooth. (Denim and bottomweight fabric have a bit of a texture on them...) Oh, and I will be wearing tights/leggings under them, so maybe it doesn't need to be as thick as I think...?

It might be good if the pants fabric is slightly stretchy, but I don't know. Oh, and I do have some jersey/knit fabric, it stretches, but I don't like the texture, and it doesn't seem right... and the cotton I've used for a shirt was smooth, but way too thin for pants...

I have a pair of shorts that has nice fabric, but I have no clue what type it is... It just says "100% Cotton" on the tag. It's not too heavy, and not as textured as bottomweight fabric... It doesn't really stretch, but that's fine, I think. Do you think if I bring them to the store, maybe they could help find a similar fabric? Or would that just be weird?

Again, sorry for the long post... It's a habit. I try to give as much info as I can... But then this happens...
Whenever I see reference images I'm blown away by the embroidery. It's so pretty. /distracted/ Oh! I completely forgot about that. You can always buy a little bit of hat interfacing and test it out if you aren't sure.

What about cotton twill fabric? You can google "cotton twill pants" and a lot of pictures come up. It looks quite nice. Oh-- I bring clothes to the fabric store all the time, and although it may feel weird and awkward, it does help. The people at fabric stores should be able to direct you to what kind of fabric you need, and even better, you can do a direct comparison between the fabrics.

Last edited by clockwalk : 08-09-2011 at 10:27 PM.
clockwalk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:12 AM   #104
Nooby Banana
I made a llama. 8)
 
Nooby Banana's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2008
Posts: 655
Quote:
Originally Posted by clockwalk View Post
You can always walk through the fabrics in the fabric store and just feel and look around for fabric close enough. I think twill would work juuust fine.

One of the fabric cutters at Fabricana once said to me "Most people don't line their cosplays unless it's something they'll be wearing a lot." So I guess it depends on whether or not you /want/ to line it, or how often you'll be wearing it.
Thanks for the info! And that's some good advice about the lining. I'll only be wearing this like two times so... probably won't be lining it.
__________________
-Current Projects-
Zarina (Pirate Fairy) - 10%
Lady Thor - 85%
Nooby Banana is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2011, 06:52 AM   #105
Hindari
Moop
 
Hindari's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 78
Might as well give it a shot. :/ I've been thinking a lot about fabrics to use for Vincent Valentine's cloak/cape thing. All I really think I want is something with some weight and a nice flow when I walk around. Any ideas?
Hindari is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 04:42 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.