Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Sewing/Fabric Craft

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 284 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 04-24-2014, 10:36 PM   #1126
lemuries

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lady Sundae View Post
I've thought about Spandex but not rly convinced. If it can helps, I am kind of new in sewing, I don't really want to start with terrible fabrics.

Also, lot of tutorials tells not to pick a shiny fabric. Ok, but shouldn't I? It looks kind of shiny but I don't want to look cheap, the costume is too revealing to be cheap :/
I don't recommend spandex, but I am not sure what I'd recommend there, maybe neoprene (it'll hold up, it's got some stretch so it would grip the columns of your arms and legs...)

It's not shiny like spandex. If it were, like where it's stitched together on the thigh, it would go to a white color, not a lighter green than the part in shadow. Here is a picture I hope doesn't tank my argument... look at the chin and the shoulder. That's where the light is right on him, and it goes white. On the other hand, he's better than this one that is shiny. Now admittedly, I think we call fabric that shiny "lame`", but I think we can also agree that your hunter is not shiny.
lemuries is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-25-2014, 10:14 AM   #1127
KuriCosplay

I'm planning on cosplaying Lucina from Fire Emblem: Awakening, and as I haven't cosplayed in years and am very much still a newbie, I have no idea what fabrics to use!

Reference:

I plan on using worbla for the armor and the crown/tiara, and I plan on using bias tape for the gold trim.. but for the main portions of the costume I'm quite lost on what fabric would work best! I was also planning on modifying an A-Line dress pattern for her outfit unless someone may have a better suggestion

Thanks much for any thoughts/suggestions!
Unread 04-25-2014, 04:01 PM   #1128
Bixley

Quote:
Originally Posted by lemuries View Post
I am afraid I'd call that silk velvet, based on the navy silk velvet I bought once. The stuff just slithered out of my hand in a way no other velvet ever has. I still feel dirty for handing over that much money, but I'm so grateful I got to work with it, at least once. I still visit the scraps once in a while for a little thrill.

You might be able to find a cotton velvet in a lightweight category but I don't think any of the synthetic velvets are going to flex and give the way his does. The robe would move stiffly.

The problem is, even the cotton velvets are at the top of your budget. I recommend ordering/buying swatches and test the body of the fabrics before you commit. May all your stores be as informative of weight as this one.
Wow, that's pretty much exactly what I want! Thank you for finding it.

I'll have to talk the price over with my husband, but if I can get a swatch and it gets his approval I might just have to go over what I had intended to pay. I'm mostly worried about ruining really nice fabric (it feels so wrong!), but if I can perfect the mock up(s)... a few extra dollars here and there would be worth it, I suppose.
Bixley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-27-2014, 11:07 PM   #1129
Bellopia

Oh my gosh I'm so glad this thread exists, choosing fabrics is where I have the most trouble a lot of the time. Anyway, I'm going to be making a cosplay of french maid Nidalee from League of Legends. I'm planning on making the dress made off the model, not the splash. The dress is made to look a lot like a skimpy halloween costume but I'm unsure if I want to make it look slightly costumey or not, if that makes sense.

http://forums.jeuxonline.info/attach...9&d=1353043728

Any help is much appreciated, thanks!
Bellopia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 02:46 AM   #1130
Nisejk

Your cosplays are awesome. I just cosplayed once, it was Satsuki Momoi from Kuroko no Basket.
Nisejk is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2014, 10:10 AM   #1131
worlds-abaze

Hey all.
I'm cosplaying an original design of Lady Loki from Marvel.
I want to use stretch velvet for the skirt, but am unsure if it'll cheapen the look.
Would I be better off using a jersey fabric?
I gain and lose weight quickly, so I know I definitely want something that will stretch.
I'm just unsure about the velvet aspect of it.
(The cape is going to be lined in green crush velvet, and the back part is going to be made in faux fur.)

worlds-abaze is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-14-2014, 01:46 AM   #1132
MishCos

Hey guys,

I posted something already but it seems this thread is quite populated so here it goes:
What would work to get this look ?

MishCos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-15-2014, 08:12 AM   #1133
Fxhd

Can anybody help me figure out what should I use for my Jax cosplay?
It would be my first ever costume so it would be great if it would be something easy to work with too, if not it's not that much big of a deal, I have until November.

Fxhd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-17-2014, 08:27 PM   #1134
justafangirl

I just use a cottons blends mostly
justafangirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-18-2014, 05:51 AM   #1135
Hatsunation
Lurking

So was looking to make these set of cosplays, but I don't know what type of fabric I should use for the one on the right. I was thinking leather or some sort of canvas material, but I do know for a fact the darker brown designs on it would be leather.

Ichabod Crane Genderbend(The Legend of Sleepy Hollow)

Working on:
Rin Kagamine Party X Party (Vocaloid

Future:
n/a
Hatsunation is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-19-2014, 11:25 AM   #1136
ShadowCharizard
Pokťtopia Master

I've made this costume before, but the fabrics I used (fleece and such) are way too warm and uncomfortable for any season other than winter. I'm mainly looking for advice with the shirt. What would be some good summer fabrics for this? What are some good summer fabrics in general?

Brendan from Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire
ShadowCharizard is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-20-2014, 06:07 AM   #1137
Pantzar

Iím looking for a lime green suiting fabric.

Reference (the overcoat)

I have spent the whole day searching for a good fabric.
Iíve found this, but I donít know anything about different kinds of fabric so I donít know if it is good enough.
(Iíve also found this, so lime green suiting fabric must exist somewhere)

Ohh, and I need it to be able to ship to Sweden.
Pantzar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-26-2014, 10:56 PM   #1138
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShadowCharizard View Post
I've made this costume before, but the fabrics I used (fleece and such) are way too warm and uncomfortable for any season other than winter. I'm mainly looking for advice with the shirt. What would be some good summer fabrics for this? What are some good summer fabrics in general?

Brendan from Pokemon Ruby / Sapphire
A cotton type fabric should work fine. A bottom weight shouldn't be too hot. It's thick enough for this kind of jacket, but breathable enough to still wearin summer. I would still be carefull like maybe have a hand fan and lots of water with you. It won't be as cool as lighter cottons, but those might not look right
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 09:59 AM   #1139
ashe2kawaii
A Wolf in Chic Clothing

Hey guys/gals i have a couple questions on fabric and materials. If no one can assist that's okie, i understand ) Huge thank you to any and all fabric suggestions and etc though. (^0^)

Alrighty so i'll be making this outfit of Clawdeen's and was a bit puzzled on what fabric i should use for the dress. I was almost thinking a stretch sateen because it is a form fitting dress, but at the same time it's a bit formal. As well as the fact i'll need to screen print or stencil my designs on, So really i wanted to get a second opinion/idea.

Also i had a question for the under-netting, now it could be my eye, but looking around Jo'Anns and Hancock's i couldn't really find any near it. I figured the gold i always paint if needed, but finding netting that's familiar to it is what i'm worried about not finding.

Here a few references pictures, once again Thank you sooo much for any help!!

~Working On/Non Con Currently~
Clawdeen Wolf Ver.Unannounced (Monster High)~20%
Scheherazade Al-Rahman Ver.Cheongsam (Trinity Blood)~0%

~2015 Lineup~

Misuzu Kamio (Air) ~0%
Tifa Lockhart (FFVII)~30%
Pinky Pie (MLP:FIM)~80%
ashe2kawaii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2014, 10:15 PM   #1140
YourLadyToxic
Ja'mie Antoinette

Talking What is the name of this fabric?

Hey guys!! I posted an individual thread with this question under the Fabric section until I noticed this thread right here, so I thought I'd ask. I'm currently working on Stahma Tarr from the Syfy show Defiance and I am having one hell of a time trying to figure out what kind of fabric her hooded dress is made out of. I live in NYC so I've been around the Garment District feeling up all the fabrics to find one that fits but I just couldn't find a match, and what's worse when the employees offered to help I didn't even have a fabric name to give them! All I could do was pull up a low res photo of the garment on my phone and hope they knew what I was going for.

From up close the fabric looks like it's been textured to have some lines but they're very subtle. Almost like crushed fabric, though not really? It seems like a simple white fabric from afar but the closer you look the more details it has. The dress itself is supposed to be a sort of hooded coat I guess? She typically wears it when she's going out so I know it's not terribly thick fabric, but not too light either. Here are some reference pics, hopefully someone knows the name of this fabric, or of a fabric similar to it I can use? Thanks so much in advance!

YourLadyToxic is offline   Reply With Quote