Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Chat > General Cosplay Chat

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 4 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-23-2011, 06:59 PM   #1
animefreak4ever
Anime Freak

Question Overweight Cosplayers

If there is already a thread about this im sorry.

I was thinking about how some people act when they see someone cosplaying who is overweight when the character that they are cosplaying as is not and I think the way people act is really unfair.

Honestly I think that it doesnt matter if your underweight, overweight or just that right weight. As long as the people love the character their cosplaying as and are actually willing to put in the effort to make the costume look as good as they can thats what matters.

What do you think????
animefreak4ever is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2011, 07:07 PM   #2
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

There's been alot of threads on this I think the general concensus is that "who cares?" Look under "seeking cosplayers" thread there's a whole plus sized cosplayers support system. <3
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:09 PM   #3
animefreak4ever
Anime Freak

Alright thanks, I decided to post this up because I was curious what other people think. I know how it feels to deal with those mean people who say overweight people shouldnt cosplay because my husband is overweight and we've heard plenty of those kind of comments.
Unread 06-23-2011, 07:15 PM   #4
chibi_kitsune
creator of my own world

I don't think it is right to put others down because of their weight, even if the character isn't overweight. Many already feel bad about it and they can still have some amazing costumes. I would recommend wearing a costume that is more flattering, but it really up to the person.

"I'm delicious, no one should taste this delicious!"

Planned/future cosplys-
Derek Stiles and Victor Niguel-Trauma Center (Second Opinion version)
Daria Morgendorffer-Daria
Mei Terumi (the fifth Mizukage) and Konan-Naruto (Manga version)
Lin Beifong and Tahno from Legend of Korra
chibi_kitsune is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 08:10 PM   #5
ARaccoon
Impulsive Fool

There are plenty of average weight or 'skinny' people who can look awkward in an unflattering costume. And there are always going to be people who judge, whether the cosplayer is overweight or not.

Personally, the only thing that bothers me is when people take pictures of said cosplayers, and then post them online just to make fun of them. I mean, these conventions are somewhat of a safe haven to people who just want to have fun and dress in a way completely unlike they would in real life. Conventions are the only place where people in costume aren't 'out of place' as it were. So whether we're looking at overweight people in bikinis or someone who doesn't fill out a particular costume, the fact is that we're all there to have fun, and it doesn't affect *us* when someone *else* doesn't look exactly like the character they are dressing up as.

People need to calm down about this stuff. For reals.
ARaccoon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-23-2011, 09:14 PM   #6
animefreak4ever
Anime Freak

Quote:
Originally Posted by ARaccoon View Post
There are plenty of average weight or 'skinny' people who can look awkward in an unflattering costume. And there are always going to be people who judge, whether the cosplayer is overweight or not.

Personally, the only thing that bothers me is when people take pictures of said cosplayers, and then post them online just to make fun of them. I mean, these conventions are somewhat of a safe haven to people who just want to have fun and dress in a way completely unlike they would in real life. Conventions are the only place where people in costume aren't 'out of place' as it were. So whether we're looking at overweight people in bikinis or someone who doesn't fill out a particular costume, the fact is that we're all there to have fun, and it doesn't affect *us* when someone *else* doesn't look exactly like the character they are dressing up as.

People need to calm down about this stuff. For reals.

I completely agree, I mean personally I've seen some quite a few overweight cosplayers who look better in a costume then alot of average size cosplayers look in that same costume. Just like i've seen some guys crossplay and look better as their character then girls. As a matter of fact I have a friend who crossplays as Sailor Venus and he looks better then most female Sailor Venus cosplayers I've seen.
Unread 06-23-2011, 11:41 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

Quote:
Originally Posted by animefreak4ever View Post
As a matter of fact I have a friend who crossplays as Sailor Venus and he looks better then most female Sailor Venus cosplayers I've seen.
i must see that!! thats so awesome!!
anyway on topic..im a tad bit over weight..and ya know what..if someone doesnt like it..i know how to tune them out like they rnt even there lol
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Akicon 2014 (so far):
-Nepgear (Hyperdimension Neptunia)
-Akaito (Vocaloid [Maybe])
-Link (Zelda OOT [Maybe])

Dream cosplays for now:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 12:29 AM   #8
invalid101
Valkyrie

I agree. I think as long as the costume fits you, it doesn't matter what size you are. The people who post those pictures online are really rather annoying. I've stumbled on so many "worst cosplayers ever" lists where what they really mean is "some overweight cosplayers and maybe that cardboard box gundam guy". Most cosplays look better when the character is a similar body type, but that's a personal preference for me. I don't feel comfortable cosplaying someone with figure unlike mine, but it's not too hard for me to find alternatives. Since there are so few characters in popular culture outside established norms (weight, height, race, anything!) it's not really fair to say that people should only cosplay characters they look like. That leaves so many people with such a small portion of the fandom.

td;dr: if you're comfortable in the cosplay, I'm more concerned about the quality of the costume than your shape, and I think others should be too.
invalid101 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:26 AM   #9
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Just remember that most people who feel the need to criticize others are often deeply insecure themselves and are just looking for ways to make themselves feel better.

Chances are anyone who would say something nasty is, themselves, an unhappy person who isn't where they want to be in life.

Pity them for a moment and move along your merry way ^^

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 09:45 AM   #10
mokulen22
The Ducktape Queen

This Forum will be more useful to you.
mokulen22 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:29 PM   #11
pyrodancer

Quote:
Originally Posted by kiratsukai View Post
Just remember that most people who feel the need to criticize others are often deeply insecure themselves and are just looking for ways to make themselves feel better.

Chances are anyone who would say something nasty is, themselves, an unhappy person who isn't where they want to be in life.
^I totally agree with this.

In cosplay, weight, height, race and all that stuff really shouldn't matter. Plus, pretty much all characters in anime/manga are like Barbiedoll/Hollywood skinny anyways. If we had to meet those height and weight requirements, I'd sure be screwed out of most cosplays that I wanna do! lol

The whole purpose of cosplaying is to have fun. As long as you're doing a cosplay that you want to do and enjoy doing, you shouldn't let others who are sour-pusses bring you down.
pyrodancer is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:26 PM   #12
Ichnob-kun
www.skcosplay.com

If you're actually cosplaying as an overweight character, then that is awesome and ballsy. If you are cosplaying as the typical super-skinny character, also awesome and perhaps even more ballsy-er. Yeah, there are things you'll have to put up with, but no one should stop you from cosplaying as one of your favorite character.

However, the only thing I could suggest is make sure the costume isn't super scandalous. Whether overweight, super skinny, or even being the perfect physique, cover up please. There are little children present at conventions, and I am of the type that thinks showing unmentionables that are not part of the cosplay is kind of tacky. Flesh-tone/nude stockings and body tape can do wonders.
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:33 PM   #13
kiratsukai
culture shocked

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ichnob-kun View Post
However, the only thing I could suggest is make sure the costume isn't super scandalous. Whether overweight, super skinny, or even being the perfect physique, cover up please. There are little children present at conventions, and I am of the type that thinks showing unmentionables that are not part of the cosplay is kind of tacky. Flesh-tone/nude stockings and body tape can do wonders.
It amuses me that this advice comes up again and again... but ONLY in threads related to overweight cosplayers.

If the advice is indeed for everyone, reguardless of size... why is it people feel the need to remind only the overweight among us? Are overweight people disproportionately wearing nothing but cellophane or adding cut-outs to their costumes with intent of showing off their naughty bits or something?

It's sort of the fat-cosplay equivalent or the racist joke followed up with the "I'm not racist, I have a black friend!" line :P

Be honest -- you don't want to see fat people in bikinis. That's all.
It isn't for the children. It's for you.

LAYERS Tutorial Translations: here, Blog: here
~ Cosplayer's Archive #67148 ~ Cure #224396 ~ My Marketplace Page ~

Last edited by kiratsukai : 06-24-2011 at 10:37 PM.
kiratsukai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #14
Ichnob-kun
www.skcosplay.com

Actually, no. I've brought young family to one, and having them see both Man-Faye and a barely there Felicia made it really horrid to explain to their parents that not everyone was like that.

edit--
That, and my girlfriend consistently wears flesh-tone leggings, so I am reminded constantly. They look nice, and I am used to it.

Last edited by Ichnob-kun : 06-24-2011 at 10:39 PM.
Ichnob-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:53 PM   #15
Inuyasha_Kun
The Hanyou

Yeah, I have had the problem of being made fun of when I cosplay a certain character, I got made fun of and was posted up on youtube. But I have friends to back me up when I need them.

And thats why I started doing panels at Conventions.... a PLUS size panel... one has NEVER been done at A-kon... and I wonder why.... and I I was the first one to ever do one at A-kon this year and I got a nice response out of it. But my very first plus size panel was at anime central last year.

I try to boost everyones self esteme..I go over what is needed and the emotions that over weight people go through (cause I am one of them so I know how it is) I have fun when I cosplay, and thats what its all about.

Conventions 2013:
A-kon-Catzi, Botan (dark tournament), Akane Tendou. (maybe Inuyasha)
Tokyo In Tulsa,
Izumi-con
Inuyasha_Kun is offline   Reply With Quote