Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-24-2011, 02:59 PM   #16
RoseHanabira

I was a co-founder of the anime club at my school. For the first year it was totally awesome.

And then personal shit started happening with one of the co-founders, and it became not so awesome. I ended up resigning my executive role because of it.

Hooray.
RoseHanabira is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-24-2011, 03:04 PM   #17
Hissora
ahurhurhur. :]

Omg it's so true! My anime club at school was ok last year, everything was alright and it had it's ups and downs, but this year it was downright aweful. Half the guys left because they didn't get to do what they wanted to do, the president was never there and it was terribly organized. And next year we cant really do it unless we find a new sponsor because the teacher who was our sponsor cant do after school stuff alot because his wife is having a baby, which is understandable.

I really don't like how people ran it because they kinda just elected themselves officers and it was extremely unfair and run terribly... I'm one of those people who get up there and make things right if no one else does, so for the longest time i've tried to help out, shut up people when they need to be shut up (because anime nerds are shy and dont know how to project their voice and be assertive) but i never got any officer role or anything even though I love organizing and getting things done... So i've wanted to be an officer but for some reason no one would let me.
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:11 PM   #18
Stina006
Even in darkness...

the one at my college was nice...except for some of the guys there....one would just take over the computer and only watch 'horror and ecchi' crap >_> i love horror, but the majority did NOT. so get the fuck off the damn computer. YOU aren't even allowed to be on it.
gtfo >__>
the majority was nice but those 3 or 4 bad eggs can make everything suck.
Edward Elric-Fullmetal Alchemist

Planned~
North Italy-Hetalia
Link-Oracle of Seasons/Oracle of Ages ver.- The Legend of Zelda
Super Sailor Chibi Moon- Sailor Moon
Stina006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:23 PM   #19
Kimpie
is a superfast jellyfish.

I've been homeschooled for a long time, so no chance for a anime club.. but earlier this year I bought a how-draw-manga book at a local Books-a-Million and the cashier asked me if I was into manga. I of course said yes and he told me about a manga/comic book club that met in the coffee shop part of the store every-other week. The next meeting I went with a friend and had a pretty awesome time.

Although its geared towards comic books, there was quite a few anime-lovers there! The guy who started the group was the cashier, lol. He is so awesome, and the people are really nice.
People usually do reviews of manga and the main guy does giveaways with different comics and mangas, and after he talks about some new things happening we usually hang out and talk and wander around in the manga section of the store. It's a lot of fun. I've started helping out a bit with it, too (I bring brownies :3). I've been going for quite awhile now, and I've even made plans to meet up with people from it at an up coming con.

Mainly, it all just boils down to who is running it and the people there (no anime-watching.. although we do sometimes go to movie premiers). It gets a little boring, but if you don't like it, there's the option of changing and adding to it.
Just looking out on the day of another dream

Well, you can't get what you want, but you can get me
So let's set up and see
'Cause you are my medicine
When you're close to me
Looking for cosplayers in East Texas!
[PM Me! I don't bite ]
Kimpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 03:31 PM   #20
The Seventh Sea
DAKKA DAKKA DAKKA!!!

The one I used to attend was pretty awesome. It was a after school thing with a bunch of high schoolers, though having just graduated high school, I was invited by the founder's mother since I was into anime. It was every Saturday and despite being the oldest one, everyone was very friendly. Things discussed were upcoming anime, games, events, cosplays, and j-pop/rock. Members read manga, watched anime, traded goods, swapped cosplay skills/tips, and planned club events like contests. I was head of the gaming part a few months before the club disbanded. The founder and most of the members finished high school and moved on to college shortly after.

It was fun while it lasted.

Edit
Now that I think back about it, nudity or fanservice in anime wasn't only prohibited but looked down on (But it was only if it was shonen-ai or flat out yaoi). I understand there was a child in the family, but that kid was never around during the meetings.

Last edited by The Seventh Sea : 06-25-2011 at 03:41 PM. Reason: Oh yeah...I just remembered
The Seventh Sea is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:18 PM   #21
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

I ran and founded a university Anime club. In the first year it was just me and one guy watching anime in the school lounge. Then we were able to get a few people the join and thing were pretty small. We stuck with it and did what ever we could to keep the club going, mostly cause the school would pay us money to do stuff. I hear its doing quite well now. They hold a variety of event to, like Cosplay events and Lolita tea parties and murder mysteries.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:23 PM   #22
Chimera~Moon

My anime club last year was....Dull... president never showed up, nothing happened, ect ect.. But we got a new President and she seems alot better! So i hope next year our club is a bit more entertaining xD
Day2- Swimstuck Terezi
Day3- Lady Nightwing
Chimera~Moon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-24-2011, 10:36 PM   #23
Lightning Baron
School of Puzzle Fighter

Why most anime or "nerd" based clubs suck is everyone wants events and stuff but no one wants the responsibility or to put in the effort of running a club. If you think your club is shitty you need to stand up and get involved in running it, not sit back and complain that the events don't happen or they do nothing good.

http://lightning--baron.deviantart.com/
Lightning Baron is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:02 AM   #24
Ninja Monkey
Timotei-chan

The anime club at my school was not worth the two lunch hours I spent there >.< I myself love shounen anime, and at the club they only had two animes: The Melnacholy of Haruhi Suzumiya (which I just watched on YouTube after because they just told me they had it, they didn't actually have it with them), and some really obscure romance-only anime.

I was hoping to start a manga/cosplay club next year, but I've met so little people at my school who like manga and cosplay and anime OTL -.-
Ninja Monkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:46 AM   #25
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ninja Monkey View Post
I was hoping to start a manga/cosplay club next year, but I've met so little people at my school who like manga and cosplay and anime OTL -.-
I'm sure you'd be surprised at how many people are actually interested. I've known many people who don't seem the type, but are actually anime fans. If you need only 2 people to start a club (as I think is fairly common), then just do it. Then print out fliers and stick them up around campus of when and where you're meeting. Stick a nice big picture of an anime character on the fliers; it'll instantly grab the attention of fellow anime fans, whom I find will often go out of their way to attend.

Last edited by nyditch : 06-25-2011 at 04:52 AM.
nyditch is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 04:58 AM   #26
Kelley
Devil of Details

Just be careful.

If you're going into it saying, "Ugh, this club sucks and you're all doing it wrong !!!!", you're not going to make any friends.

If you want to do things Your Way, make your own club, don't try to take one over.

Maybe you'll go in and they'll WANT help - but you won't know and you can't expect to walk in there and have everyone love you and want your help.

:/

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 12:39 PM   #27
Celia Rose
wanna-be abs of steel

I started an anime club at my old high school, and it filled up with weeaboos immediately. :\ I ended up disbanding the club for a short period because most of the club members were being to rowdy and loud, even after the teacher advisor warned them about their behaviour.

I eventually re-instated the club, but this time more as an art club rather than an anime club, because the members who weren't going nuts told me they wanted to learn more about drawing and coloring techniques. I much preferred the second round of the club, because less weeaboos and more serious art students came consistently. I liked that I was able to help people grow with their art.

I don't know if my college has an anime club, but I work too much to visit regularly anyway.
Celia Rose is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:03 PM   #28
SeakunDesuyo
~Creepy Grell Cosplayer

Funnily enough, my local Anime Club is pretty dang awesome! My town is SMALL as all heck, and every single club/service around here is mediocre at best, but the Anime Club? Totally rocks.

We usually watch random anime we like, and cosplay. A LOT of cosplay. XD

And what are we doing now?

Reenacting Kuroshitsuji's version of Hamlet. We're having SO much fun.
SeakunDesuyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:15 PM   #29
hypersoda

My high school's was good until this year. Most of the members graduated and this year's officers didn't do a good job of advertising, so no one showed up. So this year, I'm going to make it my goal as president to make sure people know about the club.
hypersoda is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 09:50 PM   #30
Convulsive
My name is Kan

I'm glad I don't have an anime/cosplay club at my school. 95% of the anime fans here are complete weaboos. One year i dressed as Miku for halloween [don't consider it cosplay since i didn't know was cosplay was at the time, and, it sucked xD] and one girl goes, "OMG ARE YOU LYKE SUPPOSED TO BE HATSUNE-MIKU [butchering pronounciation]?! KAWAII DESU! I LOVE VOCALOID! BUT YOU GOT THIS THIS AND THIS WRONG WITH YOUR COSTUME!"

*cough*... the other 5% wouldn't join anyway due to this factor, and they only like anime because of me, and they treat it like normal cartoons, thank god. So... yeah.

UP NEXT
Meenah Peixes
FACEBOOK
TUMBLR
Convulsive is offline   Reply With Quote