Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-25-2011, 10:49 PM   #31
Sufida

As far as what makes and breaks a club is dependent on where you live. A club like anything is defined by a strong leader, a vision, and people who support that vision. You need someone who can be a little bias, but is willing to be both ruthless and an opportunist. Even if it means occasionally agreeing to things they personally would not like.

Granted if you're happy being that random anime club that just sits around and watches tv for a few hours every week or two that is fine. However if you're roster is 60-90% the same every year then that is when you should take a step back and figure out what you are doing wrong.

The one anime club I use to go to is pretty crappy and I tried for years to give it a chance.. but it's not like I live in Orlando or other places where the population is diverse enough that they get very competitive and proud about their presentation.

Last edited by Sufida : 06-25-2011 at 10:53 PM.
Sufida is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-25-2011, 11:31 PM   #32
Gabbyv23
That one chick

I heard the anime club at the high school I'm attending next year is pretty great =3=
they watch obscure anime and have cosplay contests.

the club at the middle school was full of idiots. okay not idiots, but... hyper-active, noobs who only know anime from Dragon ball and won't shut up....
okay. idiots.
Gabbyv23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 03:25 AM   #33
L0lita_D0ll

The Anime Club I'm in is ok, the president does a good job on planning our monthly club meetings and picking out what shows we should watch in each order. We do go on outings as a club when possible (normally down to Goleta or Santa Barbara, or up to Santa Maria). The only problem is as one of the lower officers (I'm the secretary/secondary Vice President) I tend to have A LOT of problems with our "acting" Vice President and treasurer. The Vice President and Treasurer seem to think I do nothing for the club when in actuality I pay for half of the venue we use at our meetings, arrange some of the scheduling for when we can get the place, help set up/clean up the venue after we use it, donate towards the prizes we give away, and help to organize with the president of who's going to which panel and when while we are on our trip to AX. The president knows I help but it does cause some problems when he mentions that when he leaves odds are I may end up taking over the club as President, the "acting" Vice President doesn't like that idea. ^w^ What makes me keep coming back though is how much fun we have at our meetings of having random treats like ice cream, pocky, Hello Panda cookies, and the occasional vegetable platter. ^w^ What makes it great is the amount of time and effort the president and I take to organize events so they run smoothly and the fact that we enforce the rules we set and that the venue gives us (example: no anime's rated OT or 16+ until later hours, no hentai, and keeping talking during shows to a minimum). ^w^ Another good point is that everyone is allowed to bring one of their favorite anime's to the meetings and show the rest of the club and if they don't have one they can see what the president has in his library and choose one from there. ^W^ we also have a manga loan system with all the members and the only rule is if you damage it, please replace it/pay for it.
L0lita_D0ll is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-26-2011, 09:35 PM   #34
lyraparry11

My high school doesn't have an anime club, but my towns public library does. It's supposed to be limited to high school students ages 14-18, but it's just a bunch of seventh graders sitting around drawing, watching inuyasha, and eating cheezits and apple juice. They're socially awkward, and those stupid hyper scene kid "otaku" people. Not my type at all.

My freshman year I made friends with a senior who was trying to start an anime club, and I think if shed succeeded, it would have been pretty fun. She was quite popular and knew a lot of people in all four grades, and there probably would have been at least twenty or thirty people. But then she graduated and it never happened. This past year, my junior year, someone else tried to start one, only she isn't very well liked so it just fell through from the start really. She's sort of an elitist, and kind of one of the "stupid hyper scene kid otaku" type, so I probably wouldn't have gone anyways.
Anime Boston attendee since 2009
lyraparry11 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 12:13 AM   #35
Jacky_theNerd
Cosplayin College Student

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flora88 View Post
If something sucks, make it better. Don't just complain about it. Be an agent of change.
I like this guy just for that.
Jacky_theNerd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 08:36 PM   #36
nyditch
Protector of Innocence

Yeah, the anime clubs I was briefly in were 90% weeaboo population. I couldn't handle it for very long, and decided that that time would be better spent watching anime at home.

Actually, there was one other anime club at an anime store that had mostly down-to-earth people. They were all a bit weird from my relative perspective, but that kinda comes with the territory. There was one dude there though that I swear had looked me over a few times. I went 10 or so times, but they only watched dubbed stuff since their old TV with VHS tapes was a bit blurry and difficult to read.

They had a potluck one of the times I went and one person brought home made miso soup that was absolutely delicious. I tried one of those pickled plum things too. It was horrible. XD (but a good experience)
Unread 06-27-2011, 10:54 PM   #37
ARIADecember

My anime club is pretty good
However is shrinking now, and we dont really watch anime anymore
most of the members like to play Naruto fighting games and Yugioh cards, also my really good friends left (moved away =(...)

I still go, its just not as exciting anymore, i usually sit with the president (who doesn't like playing fighting games or Yugioh) and we chat, share manga, and update each other if an anime is having another episode, I go because she is one of the most awesomeist people i know =)
ARIADecember is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:11 AM   #38
Kildread
I can fix it!

I think I've said this before on this forum, but I should be able to get away with saying it again.

Because people don't remember such things.

What's an anime club? (This question doesn't really need an answer) We never had those where I come from. We had... well, a hockey club. And a "school newspaper" (Quotes are important).

If you are (un)fortunate enough to have access to such a thing and it insterests you, at least try to make it better.

Sometimes it doesn't work, but hey --- you tried.

The only people I've known close to here that partaked in this media were... strange.

Last edited by Kildread : 06-28-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Kildread is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 12:35 AM   #39
xxida_stonexx

I personally think the Anime club in my town is fantastic. Once a week at the local Library we would meet inside one of the rooms. Usually we would meet on wednesdays, now we meet when ever the club room is open.
There was a lot of people in this club, we had over around 40 or more people. Our ages ended up ranging from 13 to 18 and we had three leaders. A librarian was the main leader, the other two were two 17 year olds. We would watch anime and also play video games (like DRR, guitar hero, ect.) We also had nicknames for each other in this club.
Alot of males in this club would play yugioh or play the video game opened.
Alot of girls the anime club also cosplayed so it was fun to talk to each other and give tips. Every once in awhile we have a contest in the club where we have a cosplay show and give prizes to the three winners.
xxida_stonexx is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:15 AM   #40
YukinaKipling

Last edited by YukinaKipling : 01-06-2014 at 03:11 PM.
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:15 PM   #41
Rose of Battle
lolwut

Most of the time, anime club presidents don't know how to rule a club. Some are too lax, some are too strict. Some have unrealistic plans, some are too lazy. My high school club was pretty lame, but I enjoy my anime club in college. We occasionally have some drama among officers that we have to sort out, but everyone wants the club to have a good time. We watch about 4 different anime per semester, not including our semester 24-hour anime marathon. We're finally getting fundraising underway.

If you don't like something, change it. My friends and I were upset with how our past president handled elections, so we boycotted club for a while until the officers were willing to hold a meeting to discuss what could be done better.

Plus, one of my awesome friends is now the president, so that makes life even better. ;D

Although, I've gotta say that I really don't like most of the regular guys who come to club meetings. They're the annoying guys who think it's funny to constantly yell out stupid things (we encourage funny shout-outs, but they go way overboard and try to ruin every sentimental mood in any anime) and they think everyone likes them. I haven't exactly hid my disdain in front of them. But generally, the people in my club are pretty awesome. We're not a giant club, but we get stuff done and we know how to enjoy ourselves. I'd probably go insane without my one night a week break from college stuff.

2014: Genericon, PAX East, Otakon

Tentative Otakon plans:
Friday: Leia (Tales of Xillia 2), Hikaru ~3D Land~ (Magic Knight Rayearth) // Saturday: Leia (Tales of Xillia 2) // Sunday: Momo ~Hoodie~ (Kagerou Project/MekakuCity Actors)
Rose of Battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:34 PM   #42
Sufida

I notice the mention of presidents come up a lot so I am gonna share a few stories, but I will try to keep the specifics vague and discreet.

For a long time one of the anime clubs here was held on to a group of core members who have been around for more than 2, 3 , and even 4 years. Many of them living locally and retaining some position while obtaining their masters or doctorate. These guys were pretty stale on the social scene (i've seen people show up and be flat out unacknowledged) and since they sort of ruled under the core rules anyone who wasn't continuously trying to get close with them was pretty much left out of the cold. I stuck around for awhile because I thought it'd always get better, didn't really know other people who were into that stuff at the time, and for the occasional new person or people who come to occasional meetings were somewhat cool

Anyway one story I had heard of dating back to a few presidents ago another anime club contacted the president at the time about the idea of doing some joint events. They went as far as setting up a meeting with her and when asking questions about the club two questions in she stated "I do not want to do this anymore" and just walked away. I didn't hear about this until down the road from someone who was part of that club and each person in that club told me the same story. However I admittedly never had the gull to ask the pres at the time more about it. Although when the club here was trying to run a convention I was their only contact it appeared, the only person who attempted to talk/bridge things with them, and the only one who frankly cared about having them around.

Speaking of said con the next president insisted on doing everything.. which was fine I guess and nobody really complained. However I started a facebook event for it and I begun to get several messages from people ranging from artist alley, panelists, and dealers e-mailed the president several times and had never received word back. I reminded the pres several times "Even if you can't give them a solid answer they atleast want to know you are listening" in to which he'd reply "I'll get to it" and then he never did. This even continued as far as the week of the convention in which I had to notify and try to arrange the accommodations for everyone who had contacted me. You'd think the club would be thankful, but seeing as I wasn't in "the core" so to speak this actually made them think less of me. The president also stalled on other promises such as providing prizes for the contests and other things. However as you can guess nobody except for me pointed out or complained about this.

I have a lot of stories, but I am sure you can see where this is going.....

Also i'd like to add as far as any con staff or clubs outside of here they have always been very nice and respectful to me. They also know a thing or two about organization. It's only here i've seen such a dystopia come to life.

Last edited by Sufida : 06-28-2011 at 06:47 PM.
Sufida is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:16 PM   #43
Crimson_sword
The dangerous quiet one

I used to be a leader of an anime club and I thought I was a really good one, I wasn't to stricked with rules I just didn't want us to lose our room again...but no one respected me, people yelled when it was against the rules, they ran, and they only thought it funny to act up when I'm in the corner coughing my lungs out and still trying to participate in a demonstration of what the club was going to do that day.

Ohayocon
Crimson_sword is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 06:19 PM   #44
RavenTifa

Oh man >.< The anime Club that was not officially allowed at my old high school, that some freshman started.... It was bad. Wasn't sanctioned by the principal, had no teacher backing it up, and the kid who elected himself Club President... My whole group of friends knew more about anime period than he ever did. He wasn't interested in knowing more either, he just wanted to be leader for no reason. I went to one meeting. One. XD The library's anime weekend was funner than that was.
RavenTifa is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-04-2011, 11:50 AM   #45
Divinita Lunare Aria

The anime club at my high school was super fun. When I was a freshmen, the leaders and overall club members made it the best! We would watch an AMV from one of the leaders every week, then maybe watch an anime, and play games and have prizes.

Now, the anime club at my college is a whole other story. It is the most boring thing ever. You go to the club and watch 5 hours of anime...I can do that in the comfort of my own room if I wanted to xP. What made it even worse is that when I would try to make suggestions on the club's facebook page, it would be ignored and some guy called me a troll. I brought up how the club should have social aspects to it and then someone said "Well seeing as anime fans are pretty socially awkward..." It's not my fault that some people can't get over their social awkwardness. And not every single anime fan is socially awkward. Isn't the point of a club to BE social? Then it got into "maybe if everyone was order we could all drink and loosen up." That's when I said "that's pretty sad if you need to drink to be social" and the kid called me a troll.

I stopped going, but luckily we have an unofficial brony club and we hang out on Fri/Sat.

Sorry, had to rant at the terribleness of the club xP

Also, there's always "that group of people" I've encountered in both clubs who like to talk and try to be funny during anime and say age old memes and stuff xP ALWAYS.

Last edited by Divinita Lunare Aria : 12-04-2011 at 11:56 AM.
Divinita Lunare Aria is offline   Reply With Quote