Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 12-05-2011, 02:27 AM   #46
Celiabeth

My college's anime club is functional but the people are really fucking annoying. Its basically a gathering of social rejects. Most of them can hardly hold a conversation.
Day 3- Princess Garnett
Day 4- Princess Nia
Celiabeth is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 12-05-2011, 08:15 PM   #47
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

I ran one for about 4 years before I called it quits and there were many things that went against me. For one I was always the oldest, so once I was over 18 that kinda got to be an issue. I started it when I was 16 and stupid, and immature so then that kinda gave other members the push to be stupid, and immature.

But then as I said 2 years later when I was 18 I started to come out 'a that and say "I cleaned up my act, now you guys gotta quit acting up" and crap happened here and there one thing after another. I ended up banning a whole group, cutting ties wit a group of friends, and becoming really cold and distant to all the new members because 'a what happened wit that other group. After running it like this for 2 more years I ended up calling it quits after the communications manager tried to change the meeting days.

I never wanted to put myself in such a position again even though now that the members would have to at least be 21. I'm a horrible leader, and I'm not good wit people. And back when I did that anime club nothing was different those years ago and I was the only one in charge.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:34 PM   #48
violetxhill

The "My anime club was terrible" stories have set me against ever starting an anime club. You NEVER know who you are going to get; especially at a college one. I do not need weeaboos or just plain annoying people ruining something that I started, NOPE.
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:37 PM   #49
Lithium Flower
Handphones

My High School anime club was just awful.

But then again I hated everyone in my High School.
◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Tumblr silliness.

◆○◆○◆○◆○◆○
Deviantart of more super silliness

Lithium Flower is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:42 PM   #50
sam vimes
A real live wire

I kind of want to visit all of your anime clubs and whip them into shape. Point me in the direction of who to scream at and I'll set things right.

It'll be fun.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
SV is the most awesome man I know that I'm not married to.
Quote:
Originally Posted by fullbleed View Post
If this weren't tje internet id hug all of you guys right now.
Especishillly you sam.
Like a woodpecker with a headache...
sam vimes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:50 PM   #51
Divinita Lunare Aria

Strong leaders are pretty important xP Not gonna lie but the voting for new leaders in our high school club was kind of "fixed." You just knew who was going to the be leader regardless of who wanted to run. "That group of anime fans" would run and we just knew the club would fall if they were presidents >.>
Divinita Lunare Aria is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 08:54 PM   #52
SweeneyTodd
Jack Sparrow impersonator

Celiabeth has a point. Anime Club at my high school is pretty good and the people there are more or less pretty "normal" in terms of being social and interacting with people
But it is basically a gathering of all the outcasts in my school.
But the club is run by my friends and they actually do a pretty good job with it. They always have something different planned for each meeting and we generally all enjoy watching the anime all together. People in the club all get along pretty well too, we are all very comfortable around each other, so I'd say that the anime club at school is pretty successful

Why is the rum gone?

Find me on Facebook!

WorldCosplay Account
SweeneyTodd is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:04 PM   #53
KiiroHeart
Awkward Turtle

My anime club isn't awful, but its pretty boring.
Before I started high school, my friend who got me into anime told me about the anime club, so when I started high school this year, I thought I would only join anime club, thinking we'd do so many things I wouldn't need to join another club. But its pretty boring, just watching anime. We don't talk about it, and we don't talk about things related to anime. So I'm hoping that during the year we don't just end up sitting around doing nothing while an anime is showing that no one pays attention to. And I could never even see the screen to watch it.
.-.

Planned Cosplays:
Kyoko Sakura (Puella Magi Madoka Magica)
God Tier Rose Lalonde (Homestuck)
Terezi Pyrope (Homestuck)
Aigis (Persona 3)

If you're a high school SoCal cosplayer and wanna talk, PM me!
KiiroHeart is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 09:47 PM   #54
Xanarcah
=..= rawr?

My Anime Club at university was pretty awesome. It's possible that I think this way because after making some of my best friends to this day during the first two years, my now-boyfriend and I inherited it from the former president and VP in our Junior year. Whereupon I made more really great friends.

We'd usually come and play maybe 8 episodes from the 1 or 2 series we were watching in their entirety over the course of the quarter. Or if people wanted to watch other random episodes of other series, we'd play whatever we had on hand. We'd just reserve the room from 7-11 on Friday nights without a set plan and so we had plenty of time to watch anime and also to just hang out, which is sometimes more entertaining. It was a long enough session that people could come and leave and come back, or leave early to bus out, or come late because of bussing in. Sometimes we'd continue hanging out and go eat at IHOP or someplace after our room reservation expired.

Occasionally we'd buy like, 4 pizzas from Costco and bring them in and anyone could eat for about $3. We'd bring in the Wii and the XBox and hook them up to the wall projectors and have game nights.

Mostly it was a club for chilling and hanging out. All of our core members were very laid back people, kind of and not particularly fanboy/fangirl in the least. The ones who were and wanted to have events like anime trivia contests and glomp games and whatnot were met with an extremely underwhelming show of support, not because any of the leadership people vetoed it, but because none of the other members were genuinely interested in it either.

We did a couple of on-campus cosplay photoshoots and took a couple of fieldtrips through the international district or to this one ridiculously huge video rental place with a room dedicated to anime. We had a couple of fundraisers like drawing and selling anime-style (or custom caricature) Valentine's Day cards and a bake sale or two. We used the money to reimburse our Sakura-Con badges. xD

All in all, it was a lot of fun.
- GMG Erza

Preregistered For
- GeekGirlCon '13
- Aki-Con '13
- Sakura-Con '14
Xanarcah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 06:57 AM   #55
fujyoshi
half elf flame haze

Quote:
Originally Posted by violetxhill View Post
The "My anime club was terrible" stories have set me against ever starting an anime club. You NEVER know who you are going to get; especially at a college one. I do not need weeaboos or just plain annoying people ruining something that I started, NOPE.
just know how to run one, make sure your good wit people and you won't ever have a problem. Now that I go back on it all I did have a high school anime club too. That one sucked though because of a major lack of people in school that were into anime. There were those who were I guess casually into anime but not those who would join an anime club.
Manjoume Jun - Yu-Gi-Oh GX
fujyoshi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:42 PM   #56
Shimi
Zombie the Hedgehog

there were about 5 members including myself in my high school anime club. Normally, only about 3 or 4 showed up. sometimes, we'd get up to eight, but since it was in a computer lab, people just did their own thing and stopped commenting on the series we had on...

hi.
Shimi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-06-2011, 02:52 PM   #57
ToroSonyCat
Chihiro Fujisaki IRL

We don't have one.
I often hear that they're usually pretty bad though so I'm not bothered by the lack of one.

Ryuko Matoi - 25%

Future Cosplays (not working on yet):
Catherine, Wednesday Addams, Roxy Lalonde, fem!Spock, Monobear, Touko Fukawa, Toro Gijinka, Neptune, Rika Furude, Mew Ichigo, Chibimoon, Ramona Flowers, Coco Bandicoot, Stardust Witch Meruru, Juliet Starling, Homura Akemi
ToroSonyCat is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 11:43 AM   #58
Kagomekai

The anime club at my college was relatively decent but everyone was always talking smack about each other behind their backs, and some of the older members only came when we had meetings. I kinda bailed during my third semester to join the gamers club as I was always being left out of events within the club because my ex was a jerk and purposely excluded me from things. (was k though cuz I met my current boyfriend in between my first and second semester after my ex broke up with me at Anime North) Ironically the gamers club was more of an anime club than the anime club was. (Majority of the members of gamers were otakus)
Kagomekai is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-19-2011, 12:07 PM   #59
smoreface

Ah...I remember mine. I tried to put in quizzes with prizes, debates, trips, manga/anime recommendations, brief talk about cosplay, talk about conventions, raffle tickets, anime nights (a party which there was a 4 dollar doore fee, this helped raise for us to go to conventions) and always ended on watching an anime. One year, we ended having a festival of some sort in the cafeteria (after school of course...the cafeteria which no one uses.) and invited some faculty which never showed up.
Problem? Keeping their attention. They only wanted to talk to each other.
The girls in cat ears only wanted to throw their vag's around to the guys desperate enough to want it (mostly this..actually alot of this.) Violence was also a problem. Girls somehow thought it was alright to kick guys in the nuts. I tried to keep them in a reality check but...just happened over and over again. Yelling didn't help. At all. they would just get loud and off topic again in the next 10 minutes.
Some of the club goers were of the social norm...the others found comfort being among their fellow anime/manga lovers so they felt no need for social restraints and would be omgsorandom and created a lot of drama in their own cliques. It was fun for the most part, the general frustration was keeping to task.
Unread 12-19-2011, 07:38 PM   #60
Curucar

I didn't have time for high school anime club, so I started attending my college's club when I started at CSU. I actually had a pretty good experience when I attended-- I made several fast friends and everybody was welcoming and not too socially awkward.

As the years went on, the club grew louder and larger. I think that it's the largest anime club in the state at this point. There was so much heckling and mocking of whatever we were watching that you couldn't hear the show-- you had to rely soley on the subtitles. So I stopped going to the club to watch anime, I'd just show up to socialize beforehand.