Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 02-19-2013, 12:57 PM   #106
chiagirl
Sheena Cosplayer

My college anime club is horrible. First off, it was next to impossible to get information about when or where it meets. Nothing is posted on the college website. Flyers weren't put up until over a month into the year. After joining, I heard they have a facebook...that cannot be found by google search. Awesome. (Still never found it).

The flyers they put up says it meets Wed starting at 4. Turns out, they don't actually start till 5 because the person who brings the movies can't make it till then (WHY DON"T THEY CHANGE THEIR SIGN!) Their sign also had meetings listed on Tuesdays, but it turn out those are really only for staff people like president, secritary, yadda yadda. They should really mention that too.

The first thing I see when I go in there is the president and vicepresident chasing each other around the room with axe deoderant. (seriously....) And their taste in anime is way differnent from mine. So I pretty much don't go anymore.
chiagirl is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 02-22-2013, 03:45 PM   #107
Lalnee

Like a lot of other people, my school just doesn't have one.
Lalnee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:07 PM   #108
Higpi
No.

I never join them.
Unread 02-23-2013, 05:21 PM   #109
CosplayJelly
The Greatest Jelly

in my school someone made one but then no one went to it and so they put all the special ed kids in it...
Miss Fortune (LoL)- 0% thinking
Tera Elin- 0% thinking
Hermione- 99% waiting for shipment to arrive
Conventions~
OtakonAnime USAKatsucon!
CosplayJelly is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2013, 11:42 PM   #110
kendraduck09

My school doesn't have an anime club, but my friend at a different school just joined theirs. It's new, so she doesn't know how it's going to turn out, but hopefully it's decent. Maybe there will be one at whatever college I go to.
Maou Sadao - Demon Form (The Devil is a Part Timer!)

Planned cosplays:
Touka Kirishima (Tokyo Ghoul)
Kageyama Tobio (Haikyuu!!)
BE!Koujaku (DRAMAtical Murder)

~ Tumblr ~ Cosplay Facebook ~ List of Cosplays ~

kendraduck09 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-23-2013, 01:45 PM   #111
MR. FEARS
Good at making tea

My club is so bad I don't even have one.
Unread 03-23-2013, 02:56 PM   #112
PalmTopTaiga
Priority mail

Ours is so terrible there isn't one but when I transfer perhaps I can spread the love of anime when I go to my new school later in the year
PalmTopTaiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 12:42 AM   #113
Lost7Soul
Chocolate milk addict

The one in my highshool was really good when I first went to the school. very chill and relaxed. But then the president graduated and they did a vote for the next president. only 3 people signed up, 2 of them would have made really good presidents but both were very unpopular and for some reason they let random people in the halls at lunch vote. so everyone voted for the dumbest bitch whos only well-known for dressing like a freak, and only wanted to be president for the title. the year she became president, she wouldnt schedule the room our club was in, would let everyone run around and be loud, didnt show up to the club half the time and in the end made the school cancel the club. it took my friends two years to start the club again
Noire - Hyperdimension Neptunia
Beauty and the Beast
Wedding Ashe and Rasler - FFXII
Lost7Soul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-27-2013, 01:04 AM   #114
animazn

all they do is watch anime...I do that on my own time xD but if they threw in cosplay I'd be all for it!

Cosplay Page
Cosplays 2014:
Kirito-Gun Gale Online 30%
Akihito(dance version)-KNK 90%
Akihito(school version)-KNK 0%
Veigar-League of Legends 0%
Zabuza-Naruto 0%
Hikaru Hitachiin-OHHC 80%
Haru(Fem version)-Free! 10%
Ping-Mulan 30%
Sandwich-kun-SAO 10%
animazn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 12:27 AM   #115
Marshall Lee
Vampire King

I think a majority of college anime clubs suck is because either 1.) No one wants to assume a leadership role and assume any form of responsibility OR 2.) Everyone wants to be in charge and it's a constant power struggle.
With any kind of group gathering you're going to have personality clashes. Some groups can work through them and some can't.
I've experienced both types and it's why I haven't been back to any of them.

...well, that and I really don't care to socialize with grown adults who still wore kitty ears and animal tails in public. I'm sorry but once you're over the age of sixteen that shit is just weird unless it's for Halloween or an actual cosplay event.
Marshall Lee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 01:09 AM   #116
tictictok

I'm sorta mixed about my school's anime club; honestly most of the people were in one clique and they were all the yaoi/whatever's popular (Homestuck, Black Butler, etc.) fangirl types and the other people would play Yu-Gi-Oh or be in their own little groups. I had a couple of friends in the club but I kinda lost those eventually.

The only real benefit of being in the club was going to a con in the summer, but even that had its detriments because of school rules you couldn't go off by yourself and one time last year me and 3 other people were being held up because one girl wanted to do this fencing thing.

Good thing I graduated and can go on my own though

Check out my plushies tag if you'd like ∩( ・ω・)∩

Upcoming Con- Otakon (GOING AW YE)

Cosplays
-----
Dahlia Gillespie
Mami Tomoe
Twerk Team!Anthy
tictictok is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:08 AM   #117
BlooShine

I've never ventured to my college's anime club, but I only heard negative things like "It's a bunch of weaboos!"
I'm taking a break from school right now so I won't get a chance to go and check it out, I always wanted to see if it was actually nice. I'm sure the people are friendly.

Now, my high school's was really cheesy. It wasn't technically anime club, we were Book and Media club, so we did all things under the sun. Monthly book club, movie showings, game tournaments, and my junior year we started our own mini-convention in the library called Chibicon. It was always fun, but it was awkward. My school was borderline of the county where it stretched into farmland and small-towns beyond, so there were a lot of close-minded suburbia kids.
BlooShine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-31-2013, 10:24 PM   #118
SA2R
King of the Skies

My college's anime club is terrible. My sister and I attended one meeting, and they played a "lets get to know you game", but ironically left the new members out. And when I tried to get info from the people who seemed to be the leaders, just flat out ignored me.
I tried starting conversations, getting to know them, wanted to know if they had outside the college meetings and they simply nodded from time to time, and pretended to texting on their phones. THAT'S RIGHT! PRETENDING! I overheard their conversations (They should try not talking about doing so in ear-shot of me next time :/)
Not only that, but they were such a tight knit group. Maybe that is what it was though, being a group of friends who made a club, not letting new members feeling welcome, and having no interest in making new friends with the same interest.

I switch to a much larger college next semester, and everyone has been saying "there are so many people their with you interest! You should check out the clubs." Believe me~ I'm not gonna even bother~

Link - Hyrule Warriors
Tomoe - Kamisama kiss
Sebastian - Book of Circus
Snake - Book of Circus
Wen Yang - Dynasty warriors

( ´ ▽ ` )v

SA2R is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:56 AM   #119
Lyrt
Sheepy King of Sheeplings

Well...for the school I am currently at I am the president of the Anime club, have been since last year when I was voted into presidency. We are pretty much the largest club in the school with a good 20 or so members who all shuffle into a classroom after school on Fridays.

I have to say we don't have anything horrible going on as of recent. I mean we had someone run off with another member's laptop and toss it in the trash, and last year someone was watching Hentai on their laptop [[whom I hit with my math textbook, not the best tactic but effective.]]

We watch the first episode of a different anime every week or so, and also have random games and scavenger hunts, along with organizing con trips.

There are a few people that may qualify on the weeboo scale, but for some reason in my school the real die hards find the anime club 'too mainstream' and they don't attend.

All in all I think we are rather successful for an Anime Club having found more of a happy medium between crazy and tame.

Waiiit...we did have a bit of a creep, nice kid but a bit...odd. She decided one of our members was her slave-kun because he was asian and tried to pay him to go to a con with her and wear a pet collar. Have to say it was weird/creepy/overall just intolerable, but she knocked it off after a few months thankfully.

Youmacon/NYCC:
New Zealand - Hetalia 0%
Chessverse England - Hetalia 4%
Elena - Rune Factory ToD 15%
Arno - Summon Night Swordcraft Story 2 0%
Lyrt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-04-2013, 01:04 PM   #120
Flora88
Stay gold, Ponyboy.

Oh, fuck anime clubs.
I was president of one during college, and for a few years it was cool.
We had discussions about shit.
We formed a great relationship with the Japanese consulate.
We became a fucking co-ed fraternity and got shit-tons of money from our school.
Our school reimbursed us for trips to anime conventions.
We made it a point not to show stuff that would alienate women. (We even had a strict "three strikes, we don't watch it anymore" panty shot rule.)
We formed alliances with other clubs on campus to help our members make friends and cultivate new interests.
We had trips and parties. We even have our own fucking sight-seeing trip in Japan. (Not kidding.)
And everyone was happy.

Then I graduated and the next two presidents were lazy asses who couldn't get the paperwork done and had no sense of leadership and the club tanked.

Then they called me and were like, "Halp! What do we dooooo?"
Uh, don't be lazy.
Do the paperwork.
Adhere to the huge fucking FULL THREE-RING BINDER THAT GIVES SPECIFIC INSTRUCTIONS AS TO HOW TO RUN SHIT. The one I provided before I left.

Ugh.
I wash my hands of it all.
I just wash my hands of it.

I barely even like anime.

"Your ultrasound shanty is shady as hell!" - Lithium Flower

The Winter Soldier (CA:TWS)
Hiram McDaniels and the Faceless Old Woman Who Secretly Lives In Your Home (WTNV)
Sasha and Aleksis Kaidonovsky (Cherno Alpha pilots, Pacific Rim)
Various rockstars

Last edited by Flora88 : 04-04-2013 at 01:09 PM.
Flora88 is offline   Reply With Quote