Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 3 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-27-2011, 02:55 PM   #1
Shaymin770

How do you usually dress for concerts?

Hello! As some of you may know, there will be a Vocaloid concert in Los Angeles. Unfortunately, I will not be going considering it is two states away. However, this leads me to hope that maybe one day there will be a concert here in Seattle.
But anyway, basically, my question is: How do you dress for a concert? I have never been to one. Do people cosplay? Or do you just wear a T-shirt with the singer(s)/band in it?
If people cosplay, I'm thinking I could wear my Rin or Len cosplay if there's a concert in Seattle. But if not, I think I would just wear a Vocaloid T-shirt.
Thank you for any answers!
Shaymin770 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-27-2011, 03:32 PM   #2
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet

depends on the concert. for something like that i think cosplay would be appropriate. i generally go to rock and metal concerts, so i wear a lot of black (it doesn't show stains) and generally clothes i don't care too much about since there's a chance they'll get torn up in the mosh pit. steel toed boots are a must for me no matter what, just so my feet don't get crushed

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)

Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 03:38 PM   #3
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

For the kinds of shows that I like to go to mobility is key. Thus my standard ensemble is: Chucks, jeans with ID and $20 in a pocket and keys on a belt loop, t-shirt, sports bra, bandana and, if it's winter, a coat that I can tie around my waist.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 03:42 PM   #4
RickyFromVegas
Cosplaying Photographer

Many venues lately won't allow metal objects on a clothing, such as stud belts, etc.
Besides that, you're good to go in any type of clothing.

Just remember that there are many people gathered in a small space, so your best attire would be a light, cool clothing.

Don't wear your expensive, fragile clothes you save for special occasions as it might get dirtied or in extreme cases, destroyed.
RickyFromVegas is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 05:46 PM   #5
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Yep really depends on the concert.
I generally try to dress light, I'd rather be cold outside than sweating buckets during the gig. I sometimes wear a tshirt of the band I'm seeing or a band similar or that I know the band likes.
Comfortable shoes are a must, converse just arent good enough-too thin.
Not too much in my pockets, only essentials that I know wont fall out.
I try to avoid wearing hats now, it pisses off people behind and its another thing to lose (or have nicked). Unless it's outside that is, if I'm at a festival I need hat to be standing outside in the sun all day.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:34 PM   #6
Shaymin770

Okay! Thank you all!
I think if they ever come to Seattle, I'll just wear a Vocaloid T-shirt, some shorts, and my sneakers. That should be comfortable enough
Shaymin770 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2011, 06:59 PM   #7
JasonTerror
Jei-Cos

personally having gone to over 200 concerts myself..i wear normal clothes to any concert..but then again vocaloid isnt the style of music i go and see..cosplay may work for this..since its more along the same lines..but dont wear one if u think at all it may rip..unless u wanna sew it back up..
Tumblr
Commissions Here
Dream Cosplays:
-Tsuruya-san (Haruhi Suzumiya)
-Kagami Hiiragi (Lucky Star)
-Minimandy (Grim Tales)
-Mimi (Grim Tales)
-Yui Hirasawa (K-On!)
JasonTerror is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 08:38 AM   #8
penny_dreadful
la ctholita

Last concert I went to was a Halloween show, so I thought I'd be clever and dress up. I went in a corset and heels. I did not make it through the entire show, much to the lasting chagrin of my husband, who missed both a cover of "War Pigs" and balloons dropping from the ceiling during "Double Rainbow".

What I learned: concerts are not a fashion show. No one there has come to look at you. Be comfortable, be safe, and just enjoy the show.
"And we are all told from the moment we open our eyes, that everyone is entitled to his or her opinion. Well, thatís horsepuckey, of course. We are not entitled to our opinions; we are entitled to our informed opinions. Without research, without background, without understanding, itís nothing. Itís just bibble-babble. Itís like a fart in a wind tunnel, folks." --Harlan Ellison
penny_dreadful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 09:03 AM   #9
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shaymin770 View Post
Okay! Thank you all!
I think if they ever come to Seattle, I'll just wear a Vocaloid T-shirt, some shorts, and my sneakers. That should be comfortable enough
...A word of fashion consciousness, and quoting the words of the great Jeremy Piven, "Do you really wanna be the guy who goes to the concert wearing the t-shirt of the band that's playing?"

Don't be that guy.

Other than that, it depends on what the concert is but over all, dress for comfort. The last 2 concerts I went to (Mos Def and Aesop Rock), there were girls who decided to wear designer outfits in a venue that only sort of fits 500. They ended up overheating and had to be carried out before the show was over.

Be comfortable, look good, and aim to have as much fun as possible.

Oh, and wear comfortable shoes. It's gotten to the point where I don't want to stand for 3 hours before the opening band even starts tuning because you have a great position, but it really sucks if you decide to wear something like timbs or shitkickers (or, in the case of the opposite gender, heels or platforms or shelltoes). Sneakers, a good pair of running shoes, something that you can stand in for a long amount of time.

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 10:12 AM   #10
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

Because of the music scene in Dallas, I normally wear something that I don't mind getting dirty. So, normally just some old, obscure band shirt, some worn out, tight jeans, 10 eye steel toe docs, and a ratty hat. Also, I dress this way so I won't get mugged (again) or get hassled while walking the 4 blocks from the parking lot to the venue.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:10 PM   #11
Rose of Battle
lolwut

I'm boring. I just throw on a shirt and some jeans. XD And always sneakers. I've only ever been to one sit-down concert and we all ended up standing anyway.

2014: Genericon, PAX East, Otakon

2015: Katsucon, Genericon, Anime Boston(?), Otakon
Rose of Battle is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:19 PM   #12
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

I'm the sort who takes any excuse to dress up she can get, because there's not a lot of it where I live. Though I don't get to go to many concerts (for the record, its either metal/non-mainstream music or video game music for concerts I go to). My last one, Video Games Live, was pro-cosplay, so I dressed up and had a blast. Before that, I went to see Alice Cooper, and had a handmade Alice Cooper t-shirt, and his makeup style (specifically I did his "Killer"-era eye points instead of the big lash-lines).

...I just don't get people who wear band t-shirts of OTHER bands to concerts. How effing stupid is that?
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 03:55 PM   #13
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
...I just don't get people who wear band t-shirts of OTHER bands to concerts. How effing stupid is that?
Actually, in my experience, there is stigma against the opposite of that: wearing the band's shirt to their concert.
Tron (Tron Legacy)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:04 PM   #14
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
I'm the sort who takes any excuse to dress up she can get, because there's not a lot of it where I live. Though I don't get to go to many concerts (for the record, its either metal/non-mainstream music or video game music for concerts I go to). My last one, Video Games Live, was pro-cosplay, so I dressed up and had a blast. Before that, I went to see Alice Cooper, and had a handmade Alice Cooper t-shirt, and his makeup style (specifically I did his "Killer"-era eye points instead of the big lash-lines).

Well whats the point in wearing a tee of the band you seeing either? Part of the reason why you wear band tees to show people what music you like, if you're at their concert its obvious that you're a fan of them, you don't need to wear their merch to tell everyone that. The band's probably not gonna care either if you're wearing one of their shirts.

And I wore a HEALTH tee to a Crystal Castles concert one time. While it may have been a different band it's a band that has a very close relationship to Crystal Castles, I've seen them tour together, they're worked on songs together, released split EPs. I wanted to show my support for their music but I also wanted to stand out from others, only decicated fans would probably have recognised the link.

But personally I don't care what band tee you wear, doesn't bother me I think its fine actually to wear the band's own tee to their gig. And I think it's fine to wear other band's stuff to other gigs, so long as it makes sense and they're similar bands. You wouldn't wear a Biber tee to a NIN concert, unless you major balls or something.

But the most ridiculous thing I ever saw was a band member wearing their own merch, and what's worse is that it was a picture of their own face! Come on! Hipster bands eh?
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2011, 04:09 PM   #15
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

Obviously the band wouldn't care, because you'd be barely visible if at all. I figure you wear a band t-shirt to a concert forthe same reason you'd wear a cosplay to a con; you're a fan, and you're showing your dedication at the best place to show it. ...so why would you show your dedication to a DIFFERENT band when you're obviously not seeing them? (And usually, it IS a completely unrelated band when I see it. Like a Sum 41 t-shirt at an Alice Cooper concert...wtf is the relationship there?) Makes zero sense to me.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote