Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Other Fashion

Unread 01-07-2011, 12:09 AM   #1
9kitsune9

Visual Kei?

To start, we have a Japanese fashion show at our school. To be honest, last year it kind of sucked (people didn't know what they were doing). So this year me and my friend are in charge. The only style I'm iffy on is Visual Kei. And that's the one I'm dressing up in.

I sort of understand what is in it, but I don't want to get too close to goth. so I would like to know what kind of clothes are good for it? Like a basic outfit outline or something. Me and my friends are doing a Taobao order soon, and I need to look for cheap VisKei stuff cause I don't have time to make it.

I'm not sure if I looked hard enough, but I can't find any good "basic" info...

TL; DR: I need the basics of a Visual Kei outfit. Care to help me out?
9kitsune9 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-07-2011, 08:03 PM   #2
Reita lover

try to some what copy jrock bands,not cosplay but use them as a base.
Reita lover is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-07-2011, 08:48 PM   #3
9kitsune9

Thanks~ Do you have any good ones? (I'm horrible with names DX)
Unread 01-08-2011, 11:14 AM   #4
Reita lover

uh GazettE,Versailles,Sug,alice nine are some good bands.and they're different examples of different vk looks.also u should try looking at Kagrra because they mix visual with older traditional japanese styles.
Unread 01-08-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
9kitsune9

Thank you so much! I really like Sug and Alice Nine's styles.
Unread 01-09-2011, 02:43 PM   #6
Reita lover

yea i agree with that.actually what i said above is how i try to configure vk styles for a daily basis.
Unread 01-09-2011, 11:31 PM   #7
Mikachu_29
just looking around

you can find some VK styles here: http://www.sexpot-revenge.com/
Mikachu_29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 08:53 AM   #8
Kaoru133

I'd say Gazette Dir en Grey and D'espairsRay are perfect example of visual kei, Sug is more Oshare Kei though. xD If you want to buy clothe or just see example http://stores.ebay.com/Little-Chili-Lolita-Shop

oh also look at name brand clothing, where the bands buy their cloth
lik
sex pot revenge:http://www.sexpot-revenge.com/
H.Naoto:http://www.s-inc.com/hnaoto/
Moi meme Moitie:http://moi-meme-moitie.shop-pro.jp/
Black Peace Now:http://www.peacenow.net/ (Kanon from ancafe favorite brand :3)
Atelier Boz:http://www.boz.ne.jp/
Na+H:http://www.penet.jp/na+h2/index.html

http://www.cdjapan.co.jp sells those brands to the U.S if you're really interested. ^^

Last edited by Kaoru133 : 01-11-2011 at 09:11 AM.
Kaoru133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 07:02 PM   #9
9kitsune9

woah! thanks for all those stores!!

and do you guys thing that this shirt is ok?
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:06 PM   #10
ImASleazoid
How Clever

^
I have that shirt xD
Its a nice shirt <:
Ebay is a good cheap clothing source, but don't lean solely on clothes from ebay. A lot can be viewed as Punk wear.
I find Ebay sellers more of Japanese punk style then actual Visual kei. Cuz Visual Kei, as defined by X Japan, is eccentric, big hair, crazy makeup, elaborate outfits and etc. If you're going with a toned down clothing, make sure to do something wild with your hair and/or makeup.
I find Visual kei is becoming a lot more broad when it comes to what you can wear.
Just my 2 cents.
Since visual kei has a bunch of sub genres, Oshare Kei, to me, I find would be budget friendly, depending on the look you are going for.
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #11
Kaoru133

that looks great for visual kei ^^
what are you planning on wearing for the bottom? =o
Kaoru133 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #12
9kitsune9

I was thinking of finding some black skinny jeans at goodwill, sewing on some zippers, sewing on random patches with crazy zigzag stich, sticking some safety pins here and there on the patches and rubbing holes on the knees with sandpaper.
I have some knee high platform boots with buckles that I'm gonna wear, and I was going to get a plain bandana and do some of the same stuff to it as I am doing to the pants.
Unread 01-12-2011, 10:50 PM   #13
Rikuzue
Dwrop

^ that sounds more like Japanese punk unless you going to add more accessories.

The way VK bands dress, quite often, now-a-days is like a certian style that has been taken over the top and is more elaborate that everday wear. Though before it was more of Japan's take on gothic fashion. Currently Visual Kei cant really be defind by one style of clothing since it is based off of musicians' clothing. For example, while theyre all considered visual kei dir en grey's apperance would be considered gothic, The Gazette more punk and Versailles (i die a lil inside everytime im reminded that theyre "main stream" now) is historically inspired and doesnt reallly fit into any fashion catagory.
Rikuzue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-13-2011, 06:26 PM   #14
9kitsune9

Quote:
Originally Posted by ImASleazoid View Post
^
I have that shirt xD
Its a nice shirt <:
Ebay is a good cheap clothing source, but don't lean solely on clothes from ebay. A lot can be viewed as Punk wear.
I find Ebay sellers more of Japanese punk style then actual Visual kei. Cuz Visual Kei, as defined by X Japan, is eccentric, big hair, crazy makeup, elaborate outfits and etc. If you're going with a toned down clothing, make sure to do something wild with your hair and/or makeup.
I find Visual kei is becoming a lot more broad when it comes to what you can wear.
Just my 2 cents.
Since visual kei has a bunch of sub genres, Oshare Kei, to me, I find would be budget friendly, depending on the look you are going for.
Woah I didn't see your post before xD Thank you! I'm gonna get it from taobao, but I'll look on ebay...maybe its cheaper there...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rikuzue View Post
^ that sounds more like Japanese punk unless you going to add more accessories.

The way VK bands dress, quite often, now-a-days is like a certian style that has been taken over the top and is more elaborate that everday wear. Though before it was more of Japan's take on gothic fashion. Currently Visual Kei cant really be defind by one style of clothing since it is based off of musicians' clothing. For example, while theyre all considered visual kei dir en grey's apperance would be considered gothic, The Gazette more punk and Versailles (i die a lil inside everytime im reminded that theyre "main stream" now) is historically inspired and doesnt reallly fit into any fashion catagory.
What kind of accessories do oyou mean?
Unread 01-14-2011, 09:15 AM   #15
Angelx624
Grell's #1 Fangirl

I'm hoping to maybe one day put together a Visual Kei outfit, myself. I've been kinda inspired by Versailles, so maybe something based off their style. 8D

But yes, it appears that there's many different styles in VK. ^^ And different Jrock bands seem to have different styles. I personally prefer Versailles's style. ^^ Their outfits are very beautiful and elaborate.
Ian Yorkland
Teru
Captain Marvelous
Akikoroid
Apple Bloom
Taffyta Muttonfudge
Angelx624 is offline   Reply With Quote