Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-05-2014, 09:22 AM   #1
Tattle-Kill

Sailor Moon Crystal!

...Hi my name is Tattle-Kill. I'm 23 years old and I cried like a little girl after watching the first episode of Sailor Moon Crystal.

Ah, my childhood, how I missed you!

Unread 07-05-2014, 09:32 AM   #2
TitanSlayer000
Eh

It was better than expected. The trailer didn't really do it justice-it didn't really use that many good scenes. It was pretty much the same as the original though, I don't think the anime really started to drift away from the manga until later. We'll have to wait a few more episodes to see how it goes.
Too bad the episodes are two weeks apart...

Next cosplays:
??????
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:18 AM   #3
Clementine
I do as I please.

I was SO excited when I heard this morning that it was officially out on Crunchyroll. I immediately watched it. I thought it was amazing and the art and animation were downright flawless. I'm so glad they seem to be staying true to the original anime, I was worried it would end up being almost like a spinoff rather than a remake. I can't wait for episode two!
Friday: Kraehe (Swan Lake variation) (Princess Tutu)
Saturday: Satsuki Kiryuin (awakened Junketsu) (Kill La Kill)
Sunday: Kraehe (rehearsal outfit) (Princess Tutu)

Upcoming cosplays:
Mitsuki Nase (Kyoukai no Kanata) (30%)
Satsuki Kiryuin (Kill La Kill) (20%)

Queen bitch.
Slytherin.
You can call me Meg.
I like RoosterTeeth, indie music and poetry, and American Spirit menthols.
Clementine is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 11:38 AM   #4
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Clementine View Post
I'm so glad they seem to be staying true to the original anime, I was worried it would end up being almost like a spinoff rather than a remake. I can't wait for episode two!
It's been confirmed that they're not. It's supposed to follow the manga, which is the "true" original story. The anime deviated far away from the manga, but not until later in the series. The beginning is the same in almost all incarnations of Sailor Moon. Even PGSM has a similar first episode. It's definitely not going to be a spin-off though, it's a true reboot/new series.
I really hope it continues past the Dark Kingdom arc, because that's when the manga and original anime started to become totally different. It'd be something fresh, and I really want to see that cool face-melting nightmare scene animated. The chances aren't that high though because that wasn't until SuperS, and so far Crystal is only confirmed for one season.
Even better than that would be a Codename: Sailor V anime.

Next cosplays:
??????
Unread 07-05-2014, 12:41 PM   #5
Tannaliese
Tanna

I am having not made much comments on this site of lately but now I must. I am never hearing of this new sailor moon and this is my most beyond favorit anime ever. So now I am having just watched it this mourning and i am loving it so very much. I am almost crying because of happyness like you are tattle-kill.
I am specialy loving the new opening as it is being very fun and pop-ish. I really am hopeing that they are making this more then just the one season. I am wanting to see the outer sailor senshii so much. And the stars, too (if that is having happened in the manga even?).
now i am off to be finding this new opening and making it my ring tone
Tannaliese is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 03:19 PM   #6
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tannaliese View Post
I really am hopeing that they are making this more then just the one season. I am wanting to see the outer sailor senshii so much.
So far just one season, but make sure you watch it from Hulu or NicoNico, the official places to watch it. This way your views will be counted, and the more there are, the more likely a second season will be.
Oh yeah, the new dub should be out soon. Anyone excited for that too?

Next cosplays:
??????
Unread 07-05-2014, 06:49 PM   #7
Squeaker-Ed
GOD HELP ME I'M FALLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by TitanSlayer000 View Post
So far just one season, but make sure you watch it from Hulu or NicoNico, the official places to watch it. This way your views will be counted, and the more there are, the more likely a second season will be.
Oh yeah, the new dub should be out soon. Anyone excited for that too?
I'm excited to see how the dub turns out. Seeing as how Naoko gave approval to the VAs that she thought fit the characters most, it'll be interesting to see how they all fit to their characters now.

It's also a big win for Viz to get licensing rights to both the original series and Crystal, and surprising too; I honestly thought that Funimation had a higher chance of getting it than Viz did.

PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Ashley, Rusty, & Dinah {x2} (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 07:56 PM   #8
Michi
I'm genie for your wish
Forum Moderator

The first episode of Crystal is really similar to the original first episode, but it borrows so much more from the manga already. It was a lot of little things: Usagi stepping on Luna instead of finding little boys messing with her, Mamoru wearing a tux during the day, Tuxedo Kamen shown searching for the silver crystal and appearing at the jewelry store before Sailor Moon arrives, watching the fight, Sailor Moon chasing him outside when he leaves, Queen Beryl not being shown at all yet, etc. These are all details straight from the first manga chapter. It's a really nice mix of manga, original anime, and new things.
It mostly gets me really excited for episode 2, which is looking like it'll similarly mirror manga chapter 2, Sailor Mercury's appearance. Much better than waiting 7 episodes for her and then the rest of the senshi! So far the episode titles are the same down to calling them "acts" like the manga, too. (And we'll be done with the Dark Kingdom in like 13 episodes if they keep this up, so that's cool.)

ANYWAY my point is I think this is really neat. The original anime will always be dear to my heart but it's so cool seeing an updated, modern take on it that seems to be following the manga way closer. The first episode was way better than I was expecting. My only real issue is that Usagi's silly antics don't quite match the animation style!

Facebook / Twitter / Website / Tumblr

Next Event: TBD
Michi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 08:19 PM   #9
Squeaker-Ed
GOD HELP ME I'M FALLING

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
It mostly gets me really excited for episode 2, which is looking like it'll similarly mirror manga chapter 2, Sailor Mercury's appearance. Much better than waiting 7 episodes for her and then the rest of the senshi! So far the episode titles are the same down to calling them "acts" like the manga, too. (And we'll be done with the Dark Kingdom in like 13 episodes if they keep this up, so that's cool.)
That's my thing with the classic anime so far; I just caught up on a few episodes today and I'm right before Ami's first appearance as her and Sailor Mercury. (But I'm also slow on watching episodes so technically I should've been caught up completely by now. ._.'')

I'm also surprised to see Haruna-sensei with blonde hair rather than the reddish hair she had in the classic anime, but that's just me...

PLANNED: Lisa Rogan (House of the Dead III), Jem (Jem and the Holograms), Alyssa Hamilton (Clock Tower 3)
IN PROGRESS: Spike (Ape Escape), Pearl {x3}, Ashley, Rusty, & Dinah {x2} (Starlight Express), Aoi & Junko (Dangan Ronpa)
Twitter/Tumblr/Facebook
Squeaker-Ed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-05-2014, 08:25 PM   #10
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michi View Post
It mostly gets me really excited for episode 2, which is looking like it'll similarly mirror manga chapter 2, Sailor Mercury's appearance.

My only real issue is that Usagi's silly antics don't quite match the animation style!
Oh yeah, Sailor Mercury herself is a sign of how accurate it is to the manga, with her lack of sleeves that the rest of the senshi have. And Venus has her chain, too.

Most people have said the same thing about the animation. This animation style won't allow for the same exaggerated expressions that the original had.

Next cosplays:
??????
Unread 07-06-2014, 02:53 PM   #11
belligerent
Viking Metal

Just watched it. A couple things:

fhwsfh they changed the shitennou's uniforms around a lot. This is problematic because I had planned on cosplaying Nephrite and was hoping I could use the same uniform for both versions but nope.

ugh no linda blair scene???? wtf that was the best!!!!!!!

Sailor Moon was one of my original fandoms so I have both high hopes and dread for the rest of the series....
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-06-2014, 07:55 PM   #12
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

I liked it. Rather than comparing it to the anime I'm going to treat it as something different. The original will always have a place in my heart (lol that sounds dramatic) because that's what I grew up with.

Honestly, I'm more excited about all the merchandise, lol. I wonder if they'll make any toys modeled after the "new" brooch and other accessories...

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 06:56 AM   #13
Tattle-Kill

@sooyong - I agree, I'm gonna treat this as a totally new anime instead of driving myself crazy trying to compare it with the old one (or even the manga).

I was over at our local FYE yesterday and they actually do have some new sailormoon merch out already surprisingly. A poster of the opening group (just a screencap of all of them standing in that pretty field). Keychains of the new brooch, Luna, and a little tiara that blinks when you press a button. I got all 3 naturally And the last thing was a shirt with Usagi reaching out to Queen Serenity (really pretty but unfortunately only had L and XL left. I got it anyway just to use as a pj shirt).

I actually started talking with the cashier girl Gianna who commented on all the new sailormoon stuff once I went up to her to check out. She used to watch the old sailormoon too and we had a fun chat. We're gonna chat some more over email and she even said she'd let me know when some new sailormoon merch came in *_* I love finding new anime fans <3
Unread 07-07-2014, 07:57 AM   #14
Fabulousity
Only a little bit crazy

I loved it!!! I was really afraid they were gonna screw it up, but I thought they did a really, really good job! I especially liked Tuxedo Mask. I felt like he had more purpose in this episode than he did in the first episode of the original anime. They actually explained why he was there at the jewelry store that night (something they conveniently left out of the original anime) and it seems like they're moving away from the "knight in shining armor" thing that they did in the original, and actually letting Sailor Moon fight on her own. It always bothered me in the original anime that it seemed like the only reason he was in the jewelry shop was to rescue Sailor Moon.

So yeah, I'm really happy with it! It's a little weird not hearing Moonlight Densetsu at the beginning, but the new theme song turned out to be better than I expected! I especially liked the lyrics! I cheered at "we will fight on our own without leaving our destiny to the prince" and "we are not helpless girls who need men's protection" lol
------------------
Gryffindor and proud!!!
------------------

Last edited by Fabulousity : 07-07-2014 at 08:33 AM.
Fabulousity is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-07-2014, 11:28 AM   #15
TitanSlayer000
Eh

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fabulousity View Post
I especially liked Tuxedo Mask. I felt like he had more purpose in this episode than he did in the first episode of the original anime. They actually explained why he was there at the jewelry store that night (something they conveniently left out of the original anime) and it seems like they're moving away from the "knight in shining armor" thing that they did in the original, and actually letting Sailor Moon fight on her own. It always bothered me in the original anime that it seemed like the only reason he was in the jewelry shop was to rescue Sailor Moon.l
I haven't read the entire manga, but from what I have and what I know, anime Tuxedo Mask and manga Tuxedo mask played very different parts. It seemed a bit more like he was a sailor senshi himself (lots of people consider him to be Sailor Earth) than a guy who just stops in every episode to say "YOU CAN DO IT MOON!!!1!!1!"

I still wish they'd make a Sailor V anime...

Next cosplays:
??????