Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 01-26-2015, 10:06 PM   #1
sooyong
Ninja for Hire

Anyone else of mixed/biracial heritage?

Though we're pretty much all mixed at this point since the beginning of time ^_^

My dad is Black American and my mom is Korean. Growing up I wasn't really taught to identify with being of a particular background, so even though I'm "blasian" it's not really at the forefront when I identify myself.

And I know topics like this can tend to lean towards controversy and argument, but if we could keep that out that would be awesome

In Progress:
  • Sailor Star Healer (Sailor Moon: Sailor Stars)
  • Fantastic Baby G-Dragon
  • [Secret Project]

sooyong is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 01-26-2015, 10:14 PM   #2
PSY-chan
Arrogant Ignoramus

Finally, my time to shine! Well, maybe not shine. Anyhow, I pass as white, so I'm very cushioned by my white privilege. Only my first and last names give away the fact that I'm half East Indian. I identify as bi-racial because both sides of my family are important to me. Plus, it's my dream to travel through more parts of India and Europe to visit where my ancestors are from. What's it like being bi-racial in Japan?
PSY-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 02:06 AM   #3
boricuaspartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by sooyong View Post
Though we're pretty much all mixed at this point since the beginning of time ^_^

My dad is Black American and my mom is Korean. Growing up I wasn't really taught to identify with being of a particular background, so even though I'm "blasian" it's not really at the forefront when I identify myself.

And I know topics like this can tend to lean towards controversy and argument, but if we could keep that out that would be awesome
Yeah, I could always tell from the pic in you're avatar that you were mixed I kinda have an eye for that seeing as how I myself am mixed and my kids are mixed too. My wife is black and I'm spanish so my kids are "Blanish", lol. I've never heard the term "Blasian" before though, lol. That's awesome.

But yeah, both of my parents are Hispanic, so I'm 100% spanish. But my Mom is from Panama and my Dad is from Puerto Rico. So technically I'm Panarican...idk if by universal terms if this counts as being "mixed". But for us spanish folk...it does, lol. That alone has made it hard for me to try to identify what I am when people ask me where I'm from. But toss in the fact that my Dad was in the Air Force for 26 years and we moved around constantly and that only makes it even HARDER for me to answer where I'm from when people ask me, lol. But I've always felt stronger ties to my Puerto Rican heritage and I lived in Maryland most of my life so when people ask me where I'm from now I usually tell them I'm Puerto Rican but I'm from DC...Ugh, the joys of being raised as a military brat, lol.

YouTube Channel: http://www.youtube.com/channel/UCnu0QkPs6lVP-uALjfwIEGQ
boricuaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-28-2015, 11:48 AM   #4
NZPBear

My mom is white and my dad is desi
I've inherited almost nothing from my father and look totally white while my siblings all look like a mix or leaning more towards my dad's side. We don't really look like we belong so we usually make milkman jokes whenever people are in denial about us.
My name is completely Arab so everyone thinks I'm fresh off the boat until they see me, and everyone who just sees me assumes I'm the whitest thing since paper.
NZPBear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 05:39 PM   #5
Loveable-Eve
Scene Shop Princess

I'm a mix of white Scandinavian and African American. But I'm so pale that if it wasn't for my natural Afro you could never tell
Unread 01-29-2015, 05:58 PM   #6
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos

While I'm white as hell, which is my German, Norwegian and whatever else white I am, I am also part Hawaiian and part Filipino.
-Sora (Kingdom Hearts II)
-Chandelure (Pokemon)
-Akaito (Vocaloid)
-Spirit (Soul Eater)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 08:22 PM   #7
Alichuu
The Kitsune

I'm Portuguese/Italian/Irish/German/Spaniard/Japanese

Mostly Portuguese/Italian/Japanese though
Alichuu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 08:41 PM   #8
MissBeckyRae
Welcome to My World...

I'm about as white as it gets. My dad is half German and half Russian and my mother is French, Norwegian, Russian, and Welsh. However, I did date a very nice boy for a really long time who was half-German half-Chinese. We're still really good friends even though we're not together anymore.

In Progress:
Rarity (My Little Pony): 50%
Marie Kanker (Ed, Edd, N Eddy): 75%
Fem!France (Hetalia): 90%
Human Luna (Sailor Moon): 70%

All my cosplay/randomness goes here:
http://americandreamgirl98.deviantart.com/

I published a book. Come check it out!
http://www.amazon.com/Serendipity-10...erendipity+101
MissBeckyRae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-29-2015, 10:13 PM   #9
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau

Like most of people from my country I'm a mestizo, half-spanish and half-indigenous.

CURRENT COSPLAYS

Takuto (Full Moon wo Sagashite) 25%
Takato (Digimon Tamers) 100%
Leo (Barra - Homesport Deluxe (Original) 45%
Izumi (Digimon Frontier) 50%

"There are only two things in this world that you can't change: The star we orbit and my opinion about adults"

-Annonymous-
Maurishio-kun is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 01:14 PM   #10
Sokmunki
Snow Guardian

I am a mix of may things... English/Irish/Scotish/French/Native Canadian on one side, and German/Ukrainian/Welsh/Norse/Korean on the other. So, I suppose I'm white/native/asian...? I'm so white that I glow when I go bowling or lazertagging with those blacklights. I honestly don't know how to identify my race so I just go with "Canadian". I think I get most of my traits from the Irish/Scotish though. Very pale, reddish hair, and my nose is a very Irish nose... I just get weird looks when I say I'm Native Canadian :P But that's how it kind of works here; if you had any native in your family, then you're full Métis. Aaaaand now anyone full Métis are full native as well, so... Yeah.

Complete:

Nishiki from Tokyo Ghoul
Tintin
Belphagor from KHR
11th Doctor
Jack Frost
Sherlock (BBC)
Sokmunki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 01-30-2015, 04:14 PM   #11
iTanniKii
TanniKii

I'm mixed though I'm majority African American...I think. Though they're both American, My mom is Half-Black, Half-White, while I remember my dad saying he was Half-Black, Half-Cape Verdean...But I don't know much about the latter. I do get mistaken as Spanish, Indian (Only once to my knowledge, and a few other heritages...Spanish is or was the most common mistake though, especially since one of my maiden names is Spanish.
iTanniKii is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:18 AM   #12
AloneForever

My mom's ancestors are from Spain.

My dad's ancestors are from Mexico.

So Spanish-Mexican.
AloneForever is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 04:10 AM   #13
DeathByPiano

I am a Maori-Italian-Irish-Australian. Mum is Australian and Dad is the other things.
DeathByPiano is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Today, 01:01 AM   #14
MrParadox
Friend or Foe

I'm biracial myself, my dad is Puerto Rican, my mom is Irish/Mexican. People are often surprised that I'm more latino since I'm not fully tan.