Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 07-22-2014, 09:05 AM   #1
Techolic

Video Games?!

I know this has nothing to do with Anime but does anyone one here play video games or read Comics? if so what systems? What comics and what are your favourites as in Characters? DC or Marvel or one of the side spin off companies? Anyways! ya just thought it would be nice to have a completey seperate topic to talke about as well
Techolic is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-22-2014, 10:10 AM   #2
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

We have a video game subforum, here, actually. http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
I dont like comics but I do play video games, mostly older ones for either PC or console (cosplay is my main hobby, so I don't have even more money to shell out for the latest, and I kinda suck at games). Just started finally playing Mass Effect after wanting to for a LONG time.
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Help me get rid of my parasprite swarm! --> http://tinyurl.com/brcp53c
ShinobiXikyu is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:56 AM   #3
Kitsuko

I second the video game subforum thing, and this site isn't all about anime so no worries!

Anywho, I consider my self to be a pretty big gamer. I currently game on the PC (when my PC allows), 360, PS3, and Nintendo 3DS. My biggest gaming obsession is Dark Souls.

As for comics I sadly don't get to read a lot due to not being able to find stuff in order which greatly bothers me, but I like both Marvel and DC. My favorite Marvel character is Squirrel Girl and my favorite DC one is the Flash-- Wally in particular.
Kitsuko is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:11 AM   #4
Techolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by ShinobiXikyu View Post
We have a video game subforum, here, actually. http://www.cosplay.com/forumdisplay.php?f=34
I dont like comics but I do play video games, mostly older ones for either PC or console (cosplay is my main hobby, so I don't have even more money to shell out for the latest, and I kinda suck at games). Just started finally playing Mass Effect after wanting to for a LONG time.
I had no idea there was a video game subforum till you posted the link, guess i didnt look hard enough lol sorry! I want to get really into cosplay i just find it quite difficult to get started, I have 2 cosplay ideas but dont know where to begin. I never used to like Comics until about 7 months ago now i have quite the collection and just recently started reading ones other then the main DC and Marvel Superhero ones. older games are better! I tried playng mass effect but i couldnt quite figure it out like farcry. I seem to have difficulties with the larger games like those, but mass effect was awesome from what I played

Into the last good fight I'll ever know...

Live and die on this day...

Live and die on this day...”
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:21 AM   #5
Techolic

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kitsuko View Post
I second the video game subforum thing, and this site isn't all about anime so no worries!

Anywho, I consider my self to be a pretty big gamer. I currently game on the PC (when my PC allows), 360, PS3, and Nintendo 3DS. My biggest gaming obsession is Dark Souls.

As for comics I sadly don't get to read a lot due to not being able to find stuff in order which greatly bothers me, but I like both Marvel and DC. My favorite Marvel character is Squirrel Girl and my favorite DC one is the Flash-- Wally in particular.
Ya I didnt notice the subforum until he posted the link im quite blind apparently haha

Me to! except i have a 360 and played PC but my comp sadly crashed on me in the middle of a dota match Dark souls is one of the hardest games i ever tried... you have mad skillz if you can play it haha pls share

I've found quite a bit in order lately cause since i wasnt really into them before i had to catch up i also like how they revamped everything. I've never heard of Squirrel Girl i'll have to look into that one. Wally was one of the best but Barry Allen seems to be the more popular atm. My favourites in DC are Green Lantern and Red Hood, for Marvel im not the biggest fan but i am currently reading ultimate spiderman and Gambit and also Dead Pool. Dead Pool would have to probably be my favourite Marvel Character if i had to pick one.

Unread 07-22-2014, 04:45 PM   #6
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
My biggest gaming obsession is Dark Souls.
Mine too! DLC out today. I'll probably wait until all three are out before I play them.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techolic View Post
Dark souls is one of the hardest games i ever tried... you have mad skillz if you can play it haha pls share .
My skills are completely sane and I've beaten both games multiple times (as well as Demon's Souls). The games are not unreasonably hard, especially if you co-op. They just require a mindset that is very different from most games.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 06:31 PM   #7
Kitsuko

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Hag View Post
Mine too! DLC out today. I'll probably wait until all three are out before I play them.
It's such a good series and I can't stop playing it. And yeah, I'm probably going to hold off for a bit on the DLC for the same reason though I may end up caving in and buying it before the other two come out. Sadly Demon's Souls is the only one I haven't beaten yet, but I'm working on it. I already want to attempt to figure out if/how I can cosplay Executioner Miralda because I just love her look.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Techolic View Post
Me to! except i have a 360 and played PC but my comp sadly crashed on me in the middle of a dota match Dark souls is one of the hardest games i ever tried... you have mad skillz if you can play it haha pls share
Like The Hag said it's all about having a different mindset. It also has a slightly high learning curve and just takes a while to get the hang of things and figuring out what does what. So a bit of trial and error is required at times. For the first two Souls games Vitality and Endurance are two of the most important stats you will need. The others are good too (except resistance), but Vitality and Endurance will help keep you alive a little longer. This, however, does not count for Dark Souls 2 as they kind of sort of balanced out the stats a bit.

Though the most important thing I think is required in any souls game is to have patience and to just keep trying. Oh and in the case of my first playthough: sometimes you just get really lucky. Like there's this one part in Dark Souls 1 where there's a Boar guarding a gate and the gate is supposed to drop down if you're not quick enough. Somehow, someway, I managed to run past the gate, pass a shit ton of enemies, and made it to a character known as "Siegmeyer." I had no idea where I was going and I did that all in under 2 or 3 minutes all because the enemies sort of corralled me in that direction. Apparently it's not usually something a first time player does. My only regret is that I did not record it because it was priceless. A friend of mine was Skyping with me and he was laughing so hard at my reactions.

Annnddd, sorry for rambling! Kind of a habit; especially when talking about Dark Souls.
Unread 07-22-2014, 07:01 PM   #8
SBoo
Photographer

Yeeees, I haven't had the chance to play a lot of video games lately, but I love RPGs or anything with a good story or characters. I'm probably going to play the last episode of The Wolf Among Us during the weekend. I also started getting into graphic novels, Saga is awesome.

I haven't read many comics at all, but the Deadpool ones are on my Amazon wishlist.

ShadoCon!
SBoo is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:08 PM   #9
EvilLittleKiss
Profound Historical Youth

I'm an Xbox (360, not Xbone) person myself.
I'm not that into Western comics, but I do like several webcomics (Homestuck, Lackadaisy, Ava's Demon, Sister Claire, and a few others) and comics-wise, I mainly like ones based off of true stories. (i.e. Persepolis, Hip Hop Family Tree, etc.)

Currently working on:
Scarlett O'Hara Drapery Dress -- Gone With the Wind
Deandra -- MPGiS
Anna Cornonation Dress -- Frozen
Vader Eloha/The Queen -- OFF
Princess Suwa -- Mascot of the city of Suwa, Japan

My favorite cosplays:
Brittnay Matthews -- MPGiS
Mom Lalonde -- Homestuck
Princess Kenny -- South Park

Tumblr: http://justacrazedfangirl.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/annikaskisses
EvilLittleKiss is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2014, 10:21 PM   #10
d4rk-king
The Kitsune

I was a huge gamer back in middle school and high school. But since college and adult life has been hectic, so I haven't been gaming much. But I've been going back to Armored Core 3: Silent Line again. I've been craving for mecha
Unread 07-22-2014, 11:18 PM   #11
StilesJman
<("<) (>")>

Used to game on the Playstation but I'm waiting for a few games to be released like Destiny, Borderlands pre sequel, and the new Call of Duty. Until then I've just been a spectator watching the MLG of Starcraft 2 and whatever Game Grumps is doing.
Roy Mustang. FMA Brotherhood (In progress)
Isaac Clarke Advanced Suit. Dead Space 2 (For sale!)
Cyborg Smoke. Mortal Kombat Annihilation
Scout Trooper. RoTJ
-------Attending This Year-------
Anime Expo
Anime California...and deciding on more!
StilesJman is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:37 AM   #12
The Hag
All Hail Christmastoad

Quote:
It's such a good series and I can't stop playing it.
I find the replay value of them so high for two reasons: 1. I like to find the most efficient and reliable method of getting through an area or beating a boss and 2. Hilarious things happen when you co-op.

Quote:
Sadly Demon's Souls is the only one I haven't beaten yet, but I'm working on it.
For me, DeS was the hardest. Mostly because it was the first one that I played and it took me a long while to realize things like: Endurance is the most important stat ever and equipment level is more important than soul level. Also, IMO, that game has some irritating design issues that introduce artificial difficulty - mostly the areas where it takes forever to get back to the boss, the worst of these being the False King. I actually gave up on the game for a year before I went back and finally beat that last level. There was only one point in DaS where I thought, "I just don't know if I can do this" - that being the two archers you have to get past to get into Anor Londo - whereas I thought that many many times in DeS.

Quote:
For the first two Souls games Vitality and Endurance are two of the most important stats you will need.
In the first two games, I learned to only put enough into STR and DEX to use the weapons that I wanted and put everything else into VIT and END.

Quote:
Though the most important thing I think is required in any souls game is to have patience and to just keep trying.
The games definitely reward patience and flexible strategy. If you never vary your equipment and just try to stab your way to victory, you're going to have a bad time. Not everyone likes to play that way, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.

Quote:
someway, I managed to run past the gate, pass a shit ton of enemies, and made it to a character known as "Siegmeyer."
I always clean out all the enemies my first time through so that I can scour every corner for loot, but after that - yeah, I'm all about running past as many enemies as possible. That's another way for me to challenge the game - seeing if can I get from the bonfire to the boss without killing anything or taking a hit. It can take some creative planning. I'll also take off all my armor and weapons so that I'm super light and fast and run past everyone to grab a particularly good piece of loot from an area where I'm far too weak to actually kill anything.

Quote:
Annnddd, sorry for rambling! Kind of a habit; especially when talking about Dark Souls.
I know the feeling.
The Hag is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2014, 08:47 AM   #13
Techolic

Quote:
Like The Hag said it's all about having a different mindset. It also has a slightly high learning curve and just takes a while to get the hang of things and figuring out what does what. So a bit of trial and error is required at times. For the first two Souls games Vitality and Endurance are two of the most important stats you will need. The others are good too (except resistance), but Vitality and Endurance will help keep you alive a little longer. This, however, does not count for Dark Souls 2 as they kind of sort of balanced out the stats a bit.

Though the most important thing I think is required in any souls game is to have patience and to just keep trying. Oh and in the case of my first playthough: sometimes you just get really lucky. Like there's this one part in Dark Souls 1 where there's a Boar guarding a gate and the gate is supposed to drop down if you're not quick enough. Somehow, someway, I managed to run past the gate, pass a shit ton of enemies, and made it to a character known as "Siegmeyer." I had no idea where I was going and I did that all in under 2 or 3 minutes all because the enemies sort of corralled me in that direction. Apparently it's not usually something a first time player does. My only regret is that I did not record it because it was priceless. A friend of mine was Skyping with me and he was laughing so hard at my reactions.

Hmmm maybe i'll try it a different way then next time cause the first couple times i tried i was just attempting for a few minutes while my roommate was busy and i sucked at it and watching him play it seemed quite difficult, i will definitely try those tactics but i think i might get addicted haha ya i'm not very good with the patience side i really need to work on it thats for sure lol
hahahaha thats awesome that you did that for your first time i would have been laughing so hard if i seen that and if i was playing i probably would've been like "ya i meant to do that" :P i love skyping while playing the games not many ppl seem to like to do it anymore though. for the rambling thats ok i do it all the time sometimes you just get carried away but i enjoy reading ppl's rambles makes my day.

Unread 07-23-2014, 09:04 AM   #14
Techolic

Quote:
My skills are completely sane and I've beaten both games multiple times (as well as Demon's Souls). The games are not unreasonably hard, especially if you co-op. They just require a mindset that is very different from most games.
I find it difficult to find ppl who actually want to co-op a game with me all the way through usually they get bored and give up
ya i think i need to go into it with a whole new mindset this time around.

Quote:
Originally Posted by EvilLittleKiss View Post
I'm an Xbox (360, not Xbone) person myself.
I'm not that into Western comics, but I do like several webcomics (Homestuck, Lackadaisy, Ava's Demon, Sister Claire, and a few others) and comics-wise, I mainly like ones based off of true stories. (i.e. Persepolis, Hip Hop Family Tree, etc.)
i have the 360 to not quite wanting the new systems just yet. i've never read any web comics or ones based off of true stories i mostly read the fantasy or scifi/hero ones but i'm gonna definitely have to check those ones out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by d4rk-king View Post
I was a huge gamer back in middle school and high school. But since college and adult life has been hectic, so I haven't been gaming much. But I've been going back to Armored Core 3: Silent Line again. I've been craving for mecha
in middle school and high school i played sports mostly but did game quite a bit i think out of high school is when i really started to get into it buit lately in my adult life ive been to busy working 2 jobs and what not so its been a little hectic for me as well, what system do you play? they neeeeed to make a good solid mech game they havent really made a decent one in yrs in my opinion. i love mech games! and anime's like gundam wing, gundam seed, knights of sidonia etc.

Quote:
Originally Posted by StilesJman View Post
Used to game on the Playstation but I'm waiting for a few games to be released like Destiny, Borderlands pre sequel, and the new Call of Duty. Until then I've just been a spectator watching the MLG of Starcraft 2 and whatever Game Grumps is doing.
destiny looks pretty awesome and im iffy about the new cod i think they're going to ghost recon and black ops with it in my opinion. ive never spectated MLG of any games really how do you do that? and whats game grumps?

Unread 07-23-2014, 10:51 AM   #15
Kitsuko

Quote:
I find the replay value of them so high for two reasons: 1. I like to find the most efficient and reliable method of getting through an area or beating a boss and 2. Hilarious things happen when you co-op.
Same here! For bosses especially I have this weird habit of just observing them for a bit and dodging their attacks before I actually fight them just to see what their move set are like. That and I just like seeing the different animations. And co-op/PvP definitely add to the replay value of it. Even if my friends do try to purposely invade me when they know I'm in a certain area, haha.

Quote:
For me, DeS was the hardest. Mostly because it was the first one that I played and it took me a long while to realize things like: Endurance is the most important stat ever and equipment level is more important than soul level. Also, IMO, that game has some irritating design issues that introduce artificial difficulty - mostly the areas where it takes forever to get back to the boss, the worst of these being the False King. I actually gave up on the game for a year before I went back and finally beat that last level. There was only one point in DaS where I thought, "I just don't know if I can do this" - that being the two archers you have to get past to get into Anor Londo - whereas I thought that many many times in DeS.
Those archers were the worst. I definitely agree on that being the most frustrating part of Dark Souls 1. As for Demon's Souls, I definitely feel that it's the more difficult of the 3 as well. Not just for what you said, but because you have to be more observant while playing so you don't miss opening up shorts cuts that makes your life ten times easier. Sure, Dark Souls 1 and two had shortcuts as well, but they were not nearly as vital as the ones in Demon's Souls seeing as Demon's has no bonfires and whatnot.

Quote:
In the first two games, I learned to only put enough into STR and DEX to use the weapons that I wanted and put everything else into VIT and END.
That's pretty much what I do though I never go over 40-50 strength or Dex depending on my build. Admittedly, I've never played around with a Faith/Int build until DS2 where I made a full caster build, which is pretty interesting/challenging at time. I might attempt it in the other two as well.

Quote:
The games definitely reward patience and flexible strategy. If you never vary your equipment and just try to stab your way to victory, you're going to have a bad time. Not everyone likes to play that way, so it's not everyone's cup of tea.
Yeah, that and switching weapons and stuff makes the game more fun for me personally. Especially when you switch from a weapon you're already good with to one that you have never used ever. It adds more challenge to an already challenging game.

Quote:
I always clean out all the enemies my first time through so that I can scour every corner for loot, but after that - yeah, I'm all about running past as many enemies as possible. That's another way for me to challenge the game - seeing if can I get from the bonfire to the boss without killing anything or taking a hit. It can take some creative planning. I'll also take off all my armor and weapons so that I'm super light and fast and run past everyone to grab a particularly good piece of loot from an area where I'm far too weak to actually kill anything.
I usually clean out and search every nook and cranny everything as well, but that was one of those moments where I was desperate to get to the bonfire because the rats before that area kept kicking my butt before and I was determined to progress. That and I got overwhelmed by the Boar so I made a run for it. Kind of like a flight or fight situation. I did go back once I made it to the bonfire and wiped out everything though. Also glad I'm not the only one who does that! I don't usually go weaponless, but whenever I start a new game of DS1 I go armorless for pretty much the entire first half of the game so that I can fast roll. Especially since I favor strength/quality builds, it allows me to use ridiculously sized weapons without sacrificing speed.