Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 11-03-2014, 11:55 AM   #1
_Allegretto_

Trichotillomania

As child I never bit my nails (the only times I had to is when they broke and they almost made me vomit). Instead I pulled my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. It's similar to biting your nails or chewing the inside of your mouth. It started when I was 7 (I'm 27 now) and I stopped pulling from my scalp and eyebrows but cant seem to stop when it comes to my eyelashes. I'll stop for like 3 months then start again. Not sure why its just a tick. I am trying really hard to avoid these urges.

And trying to do cosplay with this really makes me feel bad.

Anyone else with this?

Link (Twilight Princess) 25%
Meiko ( V1 Vocaloids) 15%

~~~~Anime Midwest 2015~~~~

Jazz (Eternal Sonata) 0%

"Go in strong, don't hold anything back!"--Jazz
_Allegretto_ is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-06-2014, 05:46 PM   #2
Kid-Krazi
Wants pie

I have dermatophagia which is basically, I compulsively chew my skin off -_-, not the same thing but definitely similar
Conker: Conker's Bad Fur Day
2 Star Mako Mankanshoku: Kill La Kill
STOP BEING A GUEST AND JOIN ALREADY

Follow me on tumblr
Follow me on Instagram@ hai_kid
Kid-Krazi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2014, 12:28 PM   #3
Volnixshin
Tesla Powered

My girlfriend has that

Czech jvorxelf, bephor yue rek jvorxelf
Volnixshin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-08-2014, 01:47 PM   #4
AnimeLuxray25
The Gijinka Girl

It's probably not as severe as your case, but from time to time when I'm bored, stressed, or thinking hard I'll begin to pull my eyebrows and eyelashes. I also have a habit of stroking/pulling my hair. At one point I caused it to thin in a very small area in the back.

~ don't judge other cosplayers, because in the end we all look silly wearing wig caps :3 ~

2014 Cosplay: Shinx Gijinka (Shiny Version) [Pokémon] - 100%
2015 Cosplay: Poochyena Gijinka [Pokémon] - 5%

2014 Conventions: | KnightroKon | Mythicon | Holiday Matsuri |

deviantART: AnimeLuxray25
AnimeLuxray25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-27-2014, 11:32 PM   #5
boricuaspartan

Quote:
Originally Posted by _Allegretto_ View Post
As child I never bit my nails (the only times I had to is when they broke and they almost made me vomit). Instead I pulled my hair, eyebrows and eyelashes. It's similar to biting your nails or chewing the inside of your mouth. It started when I was 7 (I'm 27 now) and I stopped pulling from my scalp and eyebrows but cant seem to stop when it comes to my eyelashes. I'll stop for like 3 months then start again. Not sure why its just a tick. I am trying really hard to avoid these urges.

And trying to do cosplay with this really makes me feel bad.

Anyone else with this?
As a matter of fact, yes. My wife actually has this exact same sickeness and it's been haunting her since she was about 9 years old (she's 25 now). So yeah, just like you, it's an on and off thing. When she goes through stressful periods in her life, she'll pull the hair from her scalp and eyebrows and somtimes she bites her nails. But when she's not typically stressed, then she doesn't do it. After we started having children however (about 7 years ago) then this sickness came back with a vengeance and since then, she's been pulling her hair out like crazy. So much to the point that she has a pretty revealing bald spot on the top of her head and it's REALLY done some damage to her emotionally And as her husband, it's had it's negative effects on me as well and on our marriage in certain ways. So, trust me, I know EXACTLY what you're going through and I'm so SORRY to know that you're going through this It's definetly a battle, BUT one that can definetly be won.

First and foremost, you NEED to get help. If you haven't done so already, DEFINETLY START seeing a doctor for this. This is definetly not just a nervous tic, or a bad habit, it's a SICKNESS. And sicknesses CANNOT be overcome unless you reach out for HELP. So definetly start seeing a therapist. They'll probably recommend medication, or some kind of hypno therapy, which may have some mixed results. But for the most part based on the research I've done, it seems to work in most cases. My wife has been seeing one over here for over a year and it's definetly helped her out A LOT.

Also, keep you're hands BUSY. My wife got some putty and she squeezes it everytime she has the urge to pull out her hair and that's helped her out a lot as well. Also, just try to stay occupied. The busier you are, the less you'll think about pulling you're hair. So yeah, thse are little things you can try to do on you're own that can help you out.

Hope this helps and I'll be sure to keep you in my prayers. I know what it's like to have disorders like this too. I was diagnosed with Tourette's when I was younger and it's been an on going battle my whole life. But, just like Trich it's definetly manageable. Best of wishes
Game of Death Bruce Lee (Katsucon 2010)
OC Shistavanen Jedi Master (Star Wars Celebration 5 2010)
Halo Spartan (New York Comic Con 2013)

Cosplays WIP: OC Superhero "Moleculus"
boricuaspartan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:19 PM   #6
TitanSlayer000
Eh

I pull out my eyelashes, and I actually have none. As soon as one grows back, I end up pulling it out. It not only makes me look bad, but I also have no protection around my eyes without any lashes, which is especially bad when I'm working on stuff because I get glitter/sawdust/ glue in my eyes very easily.

I've been trying to stop for over a year but nothing helps. I've recently cut my nails down as short as possible, hoping it'd prevent me from doing anything, but it hasn't helped, and I still manage to pull out my eyelashes without any nails.
It's not even because I'm bored, I might be in the middle of playing a game or making something and as soon as I have the thought I'll just stop what I'm doing and pull on the short stubs of the few lashes that are growing back in. The only time I don't pull is when I'm eating, but I'm trying to eat less to lose weight, so that doesn't help.
I used to take Biotin, which helped them grow really fast, so I might've had ten or so half-length lashes at one point but I'd always give in and pull them out again. If you find a way to recovering or slowing yourself down, it'll help with the growing process.

I literally have no eyelashes left, though. And it's not even something I can stop, it just happens. I haven't had a break form it since I started over a year ago.

Next cosplays:
??????

Last edited by TitanSlayer000 : Yesterday at 03:26 PM.
TitanSlayer000 is offline   Reply With Quote