Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 04-14-2015, 05:59 PM   #1
srsmith332
▼Temp▼

An evolving artist, who would like to see them grow?

That was a question I asked myself recently. Many people out there don't like learning new things or won't even attempt to try. I'm thinking it's because they've been there and have not seen any progress in that craft/hobby/etc. for a long stretch of time that it demotivates them. Encourages them to stop while their ahead! In one way or another, we've all been there.

This thought approached me when I was conducting my plans for my very own costume that I'm working on right now. I've been stuck in the design phase for so long, it feels like erosion happens faster than my plans! Haha. I'm not shaken in my resolve though; I've just hit many bumps in the road that leads to the construction phase. One such bump was my proficiency with drawing.

Why drawing? You need to picture yourself as a model, as if your picture was being taken for a render of a character in a video game or animated show, and put all of the pieces of your costume together to get a good idea of what you'll look like at the end of your project. It's not a very good idea to build a cosplay that won't look really good IMO, so cementing your vision is paramount towards making a good costume. This type of drawing is all too common, known as a Orthographic Drawing. A Front and a Side view of the object. This object is you, though it doesn't need to exactly look like you, just a model of a human being of your gender. You can either trace an image to get the perfect model drawing or you can do it free-hand. I'd think it's ideal to do it free-hand, because you still need to draw your clothing and makeup on the model! Steady memory muscle in your hands will make everything easier. Also you'll need your skills with drawing for your sewing, since pattern fabrication (or even alteration) will require measurements and line making.

I'm an alright artist, but it isn't a skill people would pay me for! I'm an excellent copier of other images and things from my own head don't look too bad on paper. The human figure though is still something I've been working on for many months before I even started thinking about this costume so I have alot of invested progress towards this goal already. I've taken initiative with this thought in mind, about how things never EVER look like their progressing! I needed a way to let people know how long it takes to acquire a skill, something that could be progressively updated to show ever step of the way. Like a Facebook Page! For those interested, here it is: Veldspar - The Evolution of a Growing Artist (don't follow me if you expect great pieces of art, but perhaps it can help motivate you to start something!) I update it daily, with a written log to boot. I'm very prompt to daily logs. Before I made this alias, I've made a thought journal every day for the past 302 days without missing a single day. Making daily updates is something I just do.

This topic though wasn't entirely about self promoting. Doing stuff to help yourself is a real problem people face. I've had to look after a few people in my life that couldn't help themselves only because they lacked the motivation and courage to do what needed to be done. I think learning new things travels the same road. Here I am, talking about a topic like this to a community of people who attack this notion of being a bystander to their own potential. We inevitably start questioning ourselves if we wish to carry on doing a certain form of activity if we've been doing it for awhile. We all walk this road and we do not know that we are not alone!

I really just wanted people to know this. I don't expect replies but a discussion is always welcome. I've seen too many people who've knee-capped themselves based of bogus excuses.
srsmith332 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 04-15-2015, 11:57 AM   #2
Rinner

I think blogs are great for gaining support and logging progress! I have a tumblr page for my cosplay work (this is my 2nd year making my cosplay!) and there are people following along which is great.

In particular with arts people get shoved down the stairs in a manner of speaking. They get upset with themselves and often when they talk to parents or teachers (esp. at a young age) and get told it doesn't matter that you're not improving because that's never going to be a career/good enough/doesn't matter. So then motivation and self esteem drop and boom no more progress.

tl;dr blogs are great for yourself and growing a community.
Unread 04-16-2015, 07:49 AM   #3
srsmith332
▼Temp▼

It's all a matter of perspective I take it. People think learning has to be associated with a job, the young folk typically think. That should make sense to me, I'm a young folk (though I've been told I think like a 40+ yr old)! As you get older though, you lose time on doing the things you wish you could of done when you were a teenager, or just a young person, that you later regret it for the rest of your life. I can't see why people don't see this. Again, perspective >_>.