Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rate Thread
Unread 05-02-2016, 03:02 PM   #1
Vincent-Roth
Registered User
 
Vincent-Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 72
Happy Month of Ani-May

Although not a national holiday we could have some fun in the month of May reminiscing about Anime and how far it's come or how it has impacted us. What was your very first Anime you watched that opened the door for you to other shows? First Cosplay? This is a just a generally fun discussion talking about a topic that most are all familiar with. Looking forward to reading the answers you all provide. (> ^_^ <)
__________________
Please help support my page at:

www.facebook.com/vincentroth.cosplay
Vincent-Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 05-02-2016, 04:23 PM   #2
Maurishio-kun
You can call me Mau
 
Maurishio-kun's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 2,315
I used to watch animes like Minky Momo and Ulysses 31 when I was a little kid, then when I was in school I watched a couple more like Saint Seiya and Sailor Moon, but I didn't start showing real interest in anime until I watched Neon Genesis Evangelion, from then on I started looking for more animes, in big part thanks to my otaku classmates.

Though I didn't start cosplay till two years ago, I cosplayed Takato from Digimon at Kowai 2014.
__________________
Visit my art page at
mau506sk.deviantart.com

"Pero no importa, porque me tomo una Agaromba... Y todo me chupa un huevo!"


-Fernandito-
Maurishio-kun is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 05:19 PM   #3
Rikki chan
Otaku Gamer Disney Geek
 
Rikki chan's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2014
Posts: 157
Before I knew what anime was, I watched the Saturday morning dubs like Pokemon, Yugioh, Mew Mew Power, ect. Sailor Moon was actually my first of the dubs but I only got to see maybe a handful of episodes before Cartoon Network stopped showing it. I learned about anime from my friends in 6th grade but I didn't get into it until I was 14 or 15 when I learned all those dubs I watched as a kid were anime. I didn't become a real anime fan until I was 18. Throughout high school, the ONLY genre of anime I would watch was magical girl because I rediscovered Sailor Moon and rewatched Tokyo Mew Mew. I also went through a phase of rewatching Yugioh. In my senior year, some friends recommended me some anime that wasn't really what I'm used to which was Fruits Basket and Fairy Tail. On my own, I found the anime DNAngel and completely fell in love with it. After watching that I decided to give other non magical girl animes a try.

As for my first cosplay. It was Mew Ichigo because of my obsession with Tokyo Mew Mew in high school. However I really badly want to redo that costume. It was more of a closet cosplay mixed with some Halloween costume things I had lying around. Plus that was the same year I had to get a surgery done so for a few months i was stuck wearing sweat pants. Now that I've gotten wayyyyy better at making costumes, Ichigo is at the top of my list of cosplays I want to remake.
__________________
WIP
Ariel (blue dress ) 80%
Eternal Sailor Moon 70%
Elsa 70%
Risa Harada 50%
Marinette / ladybug 30%
Merida 30%
Rapunzel(short hair ) 20%
Sage (Star Darlings) 15%
Umbreon 5%

Planned
Cure Melody Suite Precure
Princess Zelda LoZ Skyward Sword
Nagisa AKB0048
Musa Winx Club
Mal Descendants

Plan to redo
Mew Ichigo
Princess Celestia
Utau Angel form
Catwoman
Mitsuki Koyama
Pikachu
Vaporeon

YouTube
https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCvI...cjzQ2M5Q6SyK8Q
Rikki chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-02-2016, 06:55 PM   #4
saite
Registered User
 
saite's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2015
Posts: 243
I remember watching Dragon Ball and Sailor Moon in the 90s when I was a kid. Then I watched a lot of different anime series and movies here and there throughout the years. One of the shows that brought me back into it was Code Geass, and the series that got me into following current season shows was Attack on Titan. My first cosplay was Mikasa becasue of that show ;D
__________________
facebook instagram
upcoming cons: Fanime 2016, LA Cosplay 2016, AX 2016, SDCC 2016, AC 2016
next cosplays: Mumei (Koutetsujou no Kabaneri), Seraphina (Disgaea 5), Nico Niiyama (Kiznaiver), Lunafreya Nox Fleuret (FFXV)
completed 2016 cosplays: Kenma Kozume, Yang Xiao Long, Ryuuko Matoi, Noctis Lucis Caelum, Tooru Yukimura
saite is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-03-2016, 04:14 PM   #5
Otaku Gunso
half elf flame haze
 
Otaku Gunso's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2008
Posts: 2,263
Of course anime and I go back to my childhood when I watched stuff like voltron, tenchi, and cardcaptors. Though it wasn't till I got older that I realized that anime was a thing. The way I word is always is Yu-Gi-Oh unlocked the door and Shakugan no Shana opened it. As for cosplay ironically I found out about it by accident because I had manga vol 1 of comic party on hand back when I used to do the anime club. It seemed fascinating enough so I took a crack. My first known cosplay was actually Shana from Shakugan no Shana but I don't have any picture records of it because it was so bad and I had no sources, no knowledge no anything really xD
Otaku Gunso is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-05-2016, 01:57 AM   #6
Vincent-Roth
Registered User
 
Vincent-Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 72
I can relate to all of you. I started watching Anime (without knowing what it was really) from the early Dragon Ball Z, Yugioh and Pokemon days, but it wasn't until I turned 17 that I finally realized what I was truly watching. I don't give credit to those shows just because I wasn't appreciating them for what they were but rather looking at them as any other cartoon.

I can honestly say that my first full anime was Initial D. I was playing the arcade game at an arcade store by my house when I decided to look it up. My friend had the DVD's already and I was instantly hooked. My other friend had the Hellsing series and the rest is history after that. It was a chain reaction from that to Cowboy Bebop, Yu Yu Hakusho and so forth.

My first Cosplay was Itachi Uchiha. I loved the character but hated how it came out. We went to the Anime Expo in Los Angeles about Seven Years ago when we finally decided to cosplay. My friends were way more into Naruto than I was at the time and they decided to group up as the Uchiha Clan. They told me to stay away from the Akatsuki version of Itachi and go with the Anbu Itachi, but it was just bad. I didn't have the Sharingan's or anything. Learning experience I guess haha.

I loved reading everyones stories.
__________________
Please help support my page at:

www.facebook.com/vincentroth.cosplay
Vincent-Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2016, 11:33 AM   #7
roseandzippin
White and Nerdy
 
roseandzippin's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Posts: 364
Like some of you, the first anime I ever watched was Sailor Moon. Also, I'm pretty sure I can't call this a cosplay, but my mom dressed me up as Sailor Moon (complete with a moon stick made out of a paper towel roll) for a Halloween costume contest when I was about five. I don't remember a thing about it, just what my mom has told me. XD
About a year ago when I still had a Tumblr account (I've since shut it down), I learned about Hetalia and started watching it every now and then. I'm actually still watching it! Plus, I'd heard about Ouron on Tumblr and also these forums, but decided to finally watch the first episode a couple of weeks ago when I saw an ad for it while watching Hetalia on Funimation. I was hooked by about the middle of the first episode, and am currently about halfway through. My next cosplay I'm planning is Haruhi Fujioka, but I still have to explain to my mom what Ouron is. And why I'm dressing as a girl who dresses as a guy. That should be an interesting discussion...
__________________
Angel of the Lord

I'm a Florida graduate student who must choose between following the heart (which wears a flower crown and carries a basket of cookies while skipping along a beach) or following the brain (which wears a graduation cap and carries a clean bill of no student loan debt). So far, I choose to follow both.

Future:

Megacon 2016 - Fem!Link from Twilight Princess


Previous:
Walker Stalker Orlando 2015 - Beth Greene
MegaCon 2015 - Fem!Castiel
roseandzippin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-06-2016, 03:17 PM   #8
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos
 
Jei-Cos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,325
Anime basically molded my entire life. I watched Speed Racer with my dad when I had the chance (his favorite old cartoon, which just so happened to be technically an anime) And I was only 2. I started drawing at that time, like I was smart for a kid (I literally was spelling things other kids in my grade couldn't, and doing harder math problems, and reading harder books..And drawing..). I was 2 years old when I started trying to draw, and it was because of Speed Racer, which literally means anime made me want to start drawing at 2 years old. My mom told me that when I was 3, we were in a doctors office, and I was drawing on the chalkboard, and I was getting things correct. like at 3 I drew a near perfect cartoon pumpkin on that chalk board. Every day I would draw something, from anime, to animals (not that good, and still not, at animals..) to scenery, to american cartoons. In elem school I was picked on until an art project came up, then suddenly everyone wanted me to help..when DBZ first came to the WB before Toonami was a thing, i would watch it as often as possible. Then when Toonami came out, I watched that every day too. Then, as it just so happened the walk from the schools bus drop off area, to my house got me there about 10 minutes before the non Toonami stuff was on, I would get home and watch Cardcaptor Sakura (Cardcaptors in english), Pokemon and Digimon all one after the other, as well as things like Code Lyoko and Reboot, and stuff, as well as Toonami which literally fit right into the time slots..Throughout middle school I did almost nothing but draw all the time. Like I said, anime molded my life pretty much.
to this day I still draw as much as possible and never go anywhere where bringing a bag is needed, without my sketchbook.

Sorry for the life story, but there's a very good reason as to why anime is a thing for me. It pretty much MADE me.
__________________
Cosplay DA Regular DA Cosplay Group DA Tumblr
Commissions Here YouTube Group YouTube
Sakuracon 2016:

-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Gohan (DBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-07-2016, 11:08 PM   #9
AlaizabelCray
Welcome to My World...
 
AlaizabelCray's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Posts: 1,076
I was seven when I started watching anime, and of course I watched all of the really popular kids anime from the 90s (Pokemon, Cardcaptors, Sailor Moon, Yu-Gi-Oh, some of the Miyazaki movies, etc.) But then when I got to middle/high school there wasn't much of an anime following where I went to school. Out of all my friends I knew maybe only two or three people in my school (and I went to a TINY school, too) who watched anime too. My freshman year, I dated a fellow anime fan and he introduced me to series like Fruits Basket and Negima.

I joined the anime club during my second year of community college, and while it was really fun (and if I hadn't have joined I wouldn't have met the guy who would end up being my boyfriend!) I didn't find many series I really, really liked (except for maybe SAO but I didn't start really appreciating it until after the dub came out).

Quote:
About a year ago when I still had a Tumblr account (I've since shut it down), I learned about Hetalia and started watching it every now and then. I'm actually still watching it! Plus, I'd heard about Ouron on Tumblr and also these forums, but decided to finally watch the first episode a couple of weeks ago when I saw an ad for it while watching Hetalia on Funimation. I was hooked by about the middle of the first episode, and am currently about halfway through.
To be honest, anime didn't become as big of a thing in my life as it had until an old friend of mine showed me Hetalia: Axis Powers (rather he played the soundtrack for me in his car and then I went home and started watching it). This was about three years ago for me. The dub was so campy and so tropey that it basically reminded me of all the things I really love about anime! In fact, my first con cosplay was Belarus!
__________________

New Cosplays for 2016:
Titania Asuna (Sword Art Online/Alfheim Online): 30%
Fem!Inumuta (Kill La Kill): 50%

Come stop by my cosplay page!
https://www.facebook.com/AlaizabelCrayCosplay

I've been cast as a voice actress for the second season of this awesome new web series! Come check it out and support all of the talents who worked so hard on it!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sHwj4oe9OhA
AlaizabelCray is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2016, 10:23 AM   #10
Vincent-Roth
Registered User
 
Vincent-Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Anime basically molded my entire life. I watched Speed Racer with my dad when I had the chance (his favorite old cartoon, which just so happened to be technically an anime) And I was only 2. I started drawing at that time, like I was smart for a kid (I literally was spelling things other kids in my grade couldn't, and doing harder math problems, and reading harder books..And drawing..). I was 2 years old when I started trying to draw, and it was because of Speed Racer, which literally means anime made me want to start drawing at 2 years old. My mom told me that when I was 3, we were in a doctors office, and I was drawing on the chalkboard, and I was getting things correct. like at 3 I drew a near perfect cartoon pumpkin on that chalk board. Every day I would draw something, from anime, to animals (not that good, and still not, at animals..) to scenery, to american cartoons. In elem school I was picked on until an art project came up, then suddenly everyone wanted me to help..when DBZ first came to the WB before Toonami was a thing, i would watch it as often as possible. Then when Toonami came out, I watched that every day too. Then, as it just so happened the walk from the schools bus drop off area, to my house got me there about 10 minutes before the non Toonami stuff was on, I would get home and watch Cardcaptor Sakura (Cardcaptors in english), Pokemon and Digimon all one after the other, as well as things like Code Lyoko and Reboot, and stuff, as well as Toonami which literally fit right into the time slots..Throughout middle school I did almost nothing but draw all the time. Like I said, anime molded my life pretty much.
to this day I still draw as much as possible and never go anywhere where bringing a bag is needed, without my sketchbook.

Sorry for the life story, but there's a very good reason as to why anime is a thing for me. It pretty much MADE me.

Have you ever considered writing your own comic book or Manga? I know you said you love to draw and there are many writers looking for artist, but if you can do both....you can put your genius ideas to work and showcase that to the world. Just an idea.
__________________
Please help support my page at:

www.facebook.com/vincentroth.cosplay
Vincent-Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-08-2016, 01:14 PM   #11
Jei-Cos
Jei-Cos
 
Jei-Cos's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 11,325
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vincent-Roth View Post
Have you ever considered writing your own comic book or Manga? I know you said you love to draw and there are many writers looking for artist, but if you can do both....you can put your genius ideas to work and showcase that to the world. Just an idea.
Actually I have a binder filled with original characters for just that. Writing is he biggest problem becasue so far, that's the one of the only artsy talents along with singing that I don't have so far..If I could find a writer to colab with I'd love to make a manga, or at least a web comic kind of manga
__________________
Cosplay DA Regular DA Cosplay Group DA Tumblr
Commissions Here YouTube Group YouTube
Sakuracon 2016:

-Sora (Kingdom Hearts 2)
-IF (Hyperdimension neptunia Re;Birth:1)
-Cloud (Dissidia: Final Fantasy)
-Gohan (DBZ SSJ1 Cell Saga beat Up)
Jei-Cos is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 03:44 PM   #12
Vincent-Roth
Registered User
 
Vincent-Roth's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Posts: 72
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jei-Cos View Post
Actually I have a binder filled with original characters for just that. Writing is he biggest problem becasue so far, that's the one of the only artsy talents along with singing that I don't have so far..If I could find a writer to colab with I'd love to make a manga, or at least a web comic kind of manga
Sorry I have been out of Sync lately. I am going to the Anime Expo in July so I have been crafting and creating alot for that convention. I love to write. I can write all day, but I have a hard time drawing. I am not sure if making a manga is something you always wanted to do, but If you are more into the dark, horror, thriller, suspenseful type of anime that I am your partner. I keep it simple with nothing over the top. Who knows, maybe sometime you would take a listen.

Anyways, its great to see everyones responses.
__________________
Please help support my page at:

www.facebook.com/vincentroth.cosplay
Vincent-Roth is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 02:10 AM.


Copyright 2002-2016 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.