Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 2 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-07-2011, 11:27 PM   #1
Smithy-Smith
A Delusional Alchemist

Exclamation Contacts are scary !~

There are probably a billion thread like this one. Sorry ><

Sooo I've never cosplayed with contacts before, and I was thinking that for my Umbreon gijinka I should really get red contacts. I'm really worried after hearing so many horror stories about people's eyes getting scratched from their contacts and what not..since I only have one set of eyes, I'd rather not ruin them for some reason (even if it is COSPLAY!) lol. So should I go for set ordered over the internet orrrr go to Walmart or something and get contacts there?? Which would be safer?? Thanks so much for listening to me rant ~

1. L (DeathNote) 20% complete
2. Markl (Howl's Moving Castle) 25% complete
3. Umbreon Gijinka (pokemon) 25% complete

Halloween: Gender Bent Harry Potter

Future Cosplays:

-Riza (Full Metal Alchemist)
-Kallen, Black Knight Uniform (Code Geass)
-Totoro Gijinka (Tonari no Totoro)
Smithy-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-07-2011, 11:43 PM   #2
StarOnTheBack

Just find a brand and research it. see how they're made, what people review of it, any possible side effects, etc. i wear contacts daily, and the worse that's ever happened is they go behind my eye. Gross, but painless. The more expensive they are, the better quality (at least usually). I have a friend who wears contacts to make her eyes like foxes everyday, and hers last 3 years and were about 50 dollars. Since yours are just one color, it'll probably be cheaper, but still.

tl;dr - research assorted contact brands.
StarOnTheBack is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:01 AM   #3
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Go to an optometrist (Walmart has one). They will be able to give you a prescription for lenses, and let you try some out to get used to them. They may also be able to order red lenses for you.

To comment on StarOnTheBack: a contact lens cannot go behind your eye. It may get stuck under the eyelid, but it is not possible to go behind the eye.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
ThakYuki is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 01:19 AM   #4
Kama

Some people have medical conditions where they can't wear contacts. These are really, really, really, really, really rare conditions. Soft contacts (what costume lenses usually are) are typically idiot proof. You can't cut yourself with a soft lens, only with your fingernail. You may have to fish it out of the corner of your eye if it bunches up, but it will never get stuck completely anywhere.

Keep in mind an optometrist is not actually a medical doctor; for that you need to go to an ophthalmologist. You could go to an optometrist, since they are more accessible/cheaper. Tell them you are intending to wear contacts for a costume, rather than vision correction. Some may not be very fond of this idea, so make sure you discuss it up front and can find someone else if they won't give you what you need. Walmart WILL NOT order red contacts for you. At least not in this area. They only sell certain kinds/brands of contacts and the colored lenses do not come in red. You will not be able to get them through Walmart and will have to order them from an internet source anyway.

Any seller from the US will require a prescription, even if it is just a note saying you don't need any strength to your lenses. Sellers outside the US will not require one for plano lenses. Buy from a reputable source, either way.

The best advice I can give is don't be a dumb ass. If you're not comfortable with contacts, don't wear them. Little is lost from your cosplay and you'll stress a lot less. If you do wear them, learn how. Wash your hands before putting them, taking them out, or whenever you need to touch them. Carry a case and some solution around so you can take them out in a hurry if they irritate your eyes. Don't overdo it and if your eyes start to get bloodshot or too dry, just take them out.

Serious complications from contacts are rare. Most common are infections and these are easily avoided if you use proper hygiene. I've worn contacts for over a decade (since I was in elementary school) and never had any problems beyond the occasional eye infection.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 08:58 PM   #5
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Do not take contacts out if your eyes are dry. Put drops in, drink water, do whatever to rehydrate your eyes. If you take contact lenses out when the lenses/your eyes are dry, you risk ripping out your cornea.

Thank you for completely removing my signature without emailing me that it was too long.
Unread 07-08-2011, 11:59 PM   #6
Kama

Quote:
Originally Posted by ThakYuki View Post
Do not take contacts out if your eyes are dry. Put drops in, drink water, do whatever to rehydrate your eyes. If you take contact lenses out when the lenses/your eyes are dry, you risk ripping out your cornea.
Maybe I should clarify. When your eyes feel "dry" they feel like allergy eyes. You blink a lot. Your contact may cloud up and slide around. It is uncomfortable. Take them out then.

Do not take them out if you've somehow made your eye turn into a shriveled grape or slept in them without making sure you can easily remove them. Flooding your eye with sterile saline usually does the trick. If your eyes are dehydrated to the point that water makes them squishy again, you probably need a hospital.
Kama is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-09-2011, 12:33 AM   #7
ThakYuki
Kittysaurus Rex!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kama View Post
Maybe I should clarify. When your eyes feel "dry" they feel like allergy eyes. You blink a lot. Your contact may cloud up and slide around. It is uncomfortable. Take them out then.

Do not take them out if you've somehow made your eye turn into a shriveled grape or slept in them without making sure you can easily remove them. Flooding your eye with sterile saline usually does the trick. If your eyes are dehydrated to the point that water makes them squishy again, you probably need a hospital.
I think you mean "irritated" as apposed to "dry". Irritated eyes like you described can commonly be mistaken for dry eyes.

Unread 07-09-2011, 12:50 AM   #8
Marika

Contacts are not scary at all, and I say this as someone who has something even worse embedded in their eye: a piece of rusty metal that was partially drilled out and what's left is slowly scraping across the surface, leaving a massive scar in its wake, which necessitated glasses and contact lenses. See? Compared to that, a contact lens which is worn by millions of people every day without issues isn't so scary anymore.

First, Kama's advice and explanations are correct and honest. Very nice since when you're looking into something like this, sugar-coating is not what you need.

Second, Walmart USED TO be able to order red lenses, but can no longer do so as Ciba Vision has put a voluntary hold on their WildEyes line, so you'll have to look elsewhere. I've used contacts from Gothika before and have had no trouble with them, aside from the fact that they weren't prescription so I couldn't see.

Most importantly, since you say you've never cosplayed with contacts before, go to an optometrist! As Kama suggested, let them know why you want the lenses. They might think you crazy, but oh well. I had to fight with mine to convince him to order my Black Outs a few years ago. ANYWAY! Make sure you get a contact lens exam (glasses exams don't cut it) and a trial pair of lenses, even if they're plano. Make sure you don't leave there without knowing how to put them in and take them out without any problems or difficulty. Make sure you listen to them on proper care. And ask questions! Take horror stories you've heard with you! Bring them up and they can tell you how many are either exaggerated or avoidable. They can tell you what to look out for and what not to do.

Honestly, I've worn contacts since the fifth grade and I'm 31 now. I've never had problems with the lenses aside from an inside-out lens (easy fix), an accidental tear in the lens (makes your eyes itchy and sucks because you have to toss the lens), a case that leaked so the lens dried up, and occasional irritation that goes away with rewetting drops... unless it's allergies, then I have to remove them. Trust me, they're really not that bad so long as you can follow basic instruction.
Marika is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 01:36 PM   #9
Smithy-Smith
A Delusional Alchemist

kkkk thanks everyone~

1. L (DeathNote) 20% complete
2. Markl (Howl's Moving Castle) 25% complete
3. Umbreon Gijinka (pokemon) 25% complete

Halloween: Gender Bent Harry Potter

Future Cosplays:

-Riza (Full Metal Alchemist)
-Kallen, Black Knight Uniform (Code Geass)
-Totoro Gijinka (Tonari no Totoro)
Smithy-Smith is offline   Reply With Quote