Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Video Games > Pokemon

Unread 07-11-2011, 02:07 AM   #1
Phentaseleah

Red - Pokemon. help?

Umm...Hello everyone. I'm kinda new here, just got my account activated now...
Well, I'm a begginer sewer, and I was wondering which fabric should I use for Red's Jacket?
and also, is lining required for this kind of jacket?
Phentaseleah is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 02:48 PM   #2
Railey98

If you have a local Joanns, or any kind of craft store that carries fabric, the people there will defiantly help you, especially if you bring in pictures showing what you plan to do. But the common fabric cosplayers use is called 'bottomweight'. Its light and cheap, and comes in different weaves that range from a canvas look to a soft tee shirt fabric. (if you're interested check out my gallery and the Naruto vest is the soft type and the duster is the more canvas type.) Its also VERY easy to sew and VERY forgiving if you have to pull stitches. I highly recommend it. And it usually comes in simple solid colors. Just ask an assistant and they'll point you in the right direction.

Chances are the jacket will be open, so no lining is not required. However you should learn how to do finished seams. A good example of this is the bottom hem of a pair of jeans. You can't see the edge they cut, because they folded it under and sewed it down. This will give you a fantastic finished look everyone will be jealous of.

I hope this helps!
Unread 07-12-2011, 04:43 PM   #3
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

I made that jacket for my brother's girlfriend. We just used basic quilter's cotton from Hancock Fabrics. Lining is not required for that, but a facing on the front where it opens will give a nice look and like Railey98 said, finishing your seams will help a ton. I however, did line the whole jacket for my brother's girlfriend because she made all the gym badges and wanted them inside without the pin showing through the front. I had enough of the red and white to just line it in the same cotton that was the outside.

Here's my finished product: http://www.cosplay.com/gallery/210522/
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:43 PM   #4
Phentaseleah

Thank you guys, I'm sure going to use your advices! they're going to be really helpful!
Phentaseleah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-15-2012, 09:23 PM   #5
darket slayer
Amateur cosplayer

Quote:
Originally Posted by Railey98 View Post
If you have a local Joanns, or any kind of craft store that carries fabric, the people there will defiantly help you, especially if you bring in pictures showing what you plan to do. But the common fabric cosplayers use is called 'bottomweight'. Its light and cheap, and comes in different weaves that range from a canvas look to a soft tee shirt fabric. (if you're interested check out my gallery and the Naruto vest is the soft type and the duster is the more canvas type.) Its also VERY easy to sew and VERY forgiving if you have to pull stitches. I highly recommend it. And it usually comes in simple solid colors. Just ask an assistant and they'll point you in the right direction.

Chances are the jacket will be open, so no lining is not required. However you should learn how to do finished seams. A good example of this is the bottom hem of a pair of jeans. You can't see the edge they cut, because they folded it under and sewed it down. This will give you a fantastic finished look everyone will be jealous of.

I hope this helps!
WOAH u rock for explaining all that, im also doing trainer red soon, and was looking for some simple advice on it all, this is great, thanks a ton!

Red original pokemon
Ulquiorra shiffer Bleach
izaya orihara DRRR!!

AB 2013 planned cosplays

Boris Airey Alice in the country of hearts
Gokudera Hayato Katekyo hitman reborn!
Third cosplay still up for grabs??
darket slayer is offline   Reply With Quote