Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 63 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-15-2011, 09:39 PM   #16
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

I'm planning on making an Eddard Stark costume for next year.
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-16-2011, 09:38 PM   #17
tierza89
evil sorceress

I'm working on a Dany costume. I just finished dyeing my fabric and my wig came today. it's officially happening
tierza89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 03:28 PM   #18
loveshacktardis
Son of a Submariner

I have a friend that wants to do Dany's purple/gray dress from the first episode, but finding a fabric with the correct weight/drape is seriously stumping us. Also, the color! It seems to look purple in the episode and gray in the stills! Anyone have any ideas? Right now we're kind of learning towards a light weight silk or even a crinkle taffeta, but finding the color is hard.

adventuresincosplay.wordpress.com
loveshacktardis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 04:16 PM   #19
GlassCannon

I've heard that they used filters on the show pretty extensively, so it's not really surprising that her dress looks two different colors. The costume itself is gray (as seen at various costume displays), but for whatever reason they decided to make it look purple on the show. In that sort of situation, I think either color is "correct". It's just a question of which color you think will be more recognizable to people viewing your cosplay, which color looks best on you, and what colors you're able to find in a suitable fabric.

As far as fabric goes, if you find the right weight, drape, and crinkle effect, you can always dye the fabric to the color you want. Polyester doesn't dye nearly as well natural fibers, but with dyes made for polyester it is possible. And if you use silk, cotton, linen, wool, rayon, etc, the fabric will take dye very well. You could even do a custom dye mix for a gray-ish lavender. So find the right fabric first, preferably in white, and then dye it the color you want. Silk or cotton gauze could work well, as could crushed satin. I haven't done much looking around, but my favorite specialty fabric site, DistinctiveFabric, does carry crushed satin, though it is 100% polyester, which would make dyeing it a bit trickier.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-18-2011, 05:02 PM   #20
makotohanabi
Chuu?

The filters and lights on set can do strange things to what color appears on screen. If you want a certain color on screen, you have to take into consideration the cameras and lighting when choosing fabric. You see the same thing when the LoTR costumes went on exhibit, especially Legolas's costumes. Have a relative who works in tv and movies, and that's how a costume designer described it to her.

Currently working on a Lyanna Stark costume. Taking a break from sewing right now, and halfway done with the rose crown. Will have it done in time for Renovation (Worldcon). Is there a chance of anyone else coming to Worldcon?

Now that I finished A Dance with Dragons, I'm thinking of Obara Sand as a future cosplay.

SPOILER: (highlight to read)
Specifically from the scene where Balon Swan gives Prince Doran a skull that the Iron Throne claims is Ser Gregor's.
Unread 07-19-2011, 08:28 PM   #21
DaniiChan
something clever.

My god you're a fast reader! It took a lot of will-power not to read that spoiler lol
DaniiChan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-22-2011, 04:36 PM   #22
GlassCannon

I've ordered all the major fabric and supplies for my Daenerys costume, so it's officially a go for Dragon*Con! So excited about this one, it's keeping me up at night, lol. ;D
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Unread 07-22-2011, 08:00 PM   #23
vgc

Need advice. I'm putting together a Daenrys costume and decided that I'm going to do the purple eyes (like the book describes her). I ordered two different contact lenses. One is very brightly purple and the other looks quite natural (if purple is a normal eye color). Which one should I go with? I feel the bright purple one will make me look cartoonish, but the light purple one isn't really easy to notice unless someone is actually looking into my eyes.
vgc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-23-2011, 11:39 AM   #24
Skxawng

I'd say go with the 'natural' purple one ... no one has purple eyes, so I feel like even if its subtle, it'll still be glaringly obvious
Unread 07-26-2011, 05:03 PM   #25
Bubs
Cosplay n00b

I'd love some wig suggestions for Dany (the platinum blonde wig from the series)

I'm wearing her Qartheen gown from ACoK, and possibly her Dothraki garb from the series.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgc View Post
Need advice. I'm putting together a Daenrys costume and decided that I'm going to do the purple eyes (like the book describes her). I ordered two different contact lenses. One is very brightly purple and the other looks quite natural (if purple is a normal eye color). Which one should I go with? I feel the bright purple one will make me look cartoonish, but the light purple one isn't really easy to notice unless someone is actually looking into my eyes.
Mind sharing what contacts you purchased? Last year I wore Venus Violet contacts.

Personally, I would go with the brighter ones if you want them to show up in photos ^^
Unread 07-29-2011, 09:51 PM   #26
selenya
Mistress of Mayhem

Sadly, I'll be putting together my Cersei costume on the run, which means buying a dress instead of making one. She's a replacement costume, though, since I don't have the time to pour into other ones, but I'm still ridiculously excited about it. I may have not caught it, but is there going to be a photoshoot/meet up at any point? Parade marching?
selenya is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-30-2011, 09:42 PM   #27
A Grue

Quote:
Originally Posted by selenya View Post
Sadly, I'll be putting together my Cersei costume on the run, which means buying a dress instead of making one. She's a replacement costume, though, since I don't have the time to pour into other ones, but I'm still ridiculously excited about it. I may have not caught it, but is there going to be a photoshoot/meet up at any point? Parade marching?
If you're talking about D*con, so far we've got 2 people officially signed up on their parade registration, and another handful just that I know of that are planning to do so~ I just started to get the word out this weekend. Hope you'll be there to walk with me Saturday morning!
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:12 PM   #28
makotohanabi
Chuu?

Putting the finishing touches on Lyanna's rose crown, and I'll be done.

If anyone's going to Worldcon, I'll be wearing it at the Brotherhood without Banners party on Saturday night. I'll be doing door duty for a bit.
Unread 08-10-2011, 01:19 AM   #29
GlassCannon

If any of you guys are bringing your costumes to DragonCon, we're trying to decide on a day and time to meetup up. Come tell us when would work best for you.
Unread 08-21-2011, 04:03 PM   #30
Chocobo Jockey
Muffin Sauce

I actually made a Margaery Tyrell costume awhile back! (We had a costume party on the night the series premiered...with a feast. We even made lemon cakes! =D hehe) But since none of the pictures of it came out super good, I haven't put anything up yet...But I'm hoping to do an actual photoshoot within the next couple of weeks! ^_^
COSTUMES IN PROGRESS:
Mercedes, Odin Sphere
Rapunzel (Ending Gown), Tangled
Codex, The Guild
Yuffie, Final Fantasy VII
Jane, Tarzan
Rinoa, Final Fantasy VIII
Fawn, Disney Fairies
Chocobo Jockey is offline   Reply With Quote