Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 78 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-25-2013, 11:18 AM   #301
myalchod
reflections and dreams
 
myalchod's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 1,886
Quote:
If it was a procion dye I'd be a little worried that something is up with the fabric (like a finish or something that's preventing results).
... uff, yes. Especially if you've got an upholstery/home decor fabric. Those tend to have surface finishes that screw up dyeing something fierce. I always forget about that because I've only ever had that issue once, but it was a serious "WTF".

ETA: embroidery pic! *scampers to meeting*
__________________
Current Projects:
Therese von Ludowing (Sound Horizon's Märchen)
Catelyn Stark (A Song of Ice and Fire / Game of Thrones)
Elisabeth - red ballgown (Elisabeth - Takarazuka version)
Thessaly (Sandman - The Kindly Ones)
Elsewhere: Journal ~ ACP ~ CosplayLab

Last edited by myalchod : 07-25-2013 at 03:00 PM.
myalchod is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-25-2013, 06:54 PM   #302
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
Totally awesome! <3
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2013, 09:45 AM   #303
asthompson
僕のク&amp;amp;amp;
 
asthompson's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2009
Posts: 72
Kelley that website for Sansa fabric is amazing. ::LINKS EVERYONE EVERYWHERE TO IT:: omg beautiful find
__________________
PAX Prime 2013:
Edward Kenway - Assassin's Creed 4
Joffrey Baratheon - A Game of Thrones

Sakura Con 2014:
Edward Kenway - Assassin's Creed 4
R - Warm Bodies
Castiel - Supernatural

www.lastoryx.com (No IE)
asthompson is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2013, 03:37 AM   #304
Thia Fayne
casually topless
 
Thia Fayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 552
Gosh, it's been a while since I posted in this thread... I'm glad to see more people doing GoT cosplays!

Sharing a little of my own work -- I did one of Margaery's dresses for SDCC this year, though I unfortunately don't have much more than phone photos at the moment. Here's one in the mirror before I left and then another with some other lovely GoT cosplayers I found!

This dress was a huge pain in the butt due to its materials (brocade, chiffon, velvet...) and also required some very inventive methods of closing and attaching things (there is an invisible zipper in the front seam of the skirt...) but I'm really happy with how it turned out~!

Still waiting to do a proper photoshoot, but in the meantime, I have this, which is going to be hard to beat. 8)
__________________
tumblr | ACP
Upcoming Cons - NYCC
Working on - Elizabeth Comstock | Tatsumiya
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 12:50 AM   #305
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
It looks awesome! Whatever you did for the pattern it looks particularly spot-on! It's one of the best I've seen of her.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for the rose? I'm not happy with the brooch I bought (for Loras and his is similar) and I'm pushing ahead of schedule so I might have time to do something else.

My mom is doing the same dress and I have doubts she'll get it done in time. We have two months and she said she could do it in one night. Mom, I'm sorry but we both know that I'm the better one when it comes to sewing and you are setting yourself up for an amazing disaster (especially since you need me to make your pattern for you and I need my beauty sleep - not going to be part of a frantic all-night sewing hurricane).



All I have left in this one is a row of triangles along the top of the bottom band. I'm at about 40 hours and I'd say this is about halfway. I have the day off tomorrow and hope to get it done and the vines transferred to the other one (in pencil) and finish my stupid digital file for Spoonflower and perhaps do the one for my mom if I'm lucky (not really thrilled to be doing that since I don't have confidence here's will even get finished).

Wooooooo. I'm losing it. I embroidered in a bar at one point.
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2013, 02:55 AM   #306
Thia Fayne
casually topless
 
Thia Fayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
It looks awesome! Whatever you did for the pattern it looks particularly spot-on! It's one of the best I've seen of her.

If you don't mind me asking, what did you do for the rose? I'm not happy with the brooch I bought (for Loras and his is similar) and I'm pushing ahead of schedule so I might have time to do something else.
Thank you so much!! The rose is just craft foam and the base "stem" part is a thick wire covered with clay, then I painted/weathered the whole thing ^^

Definitely suggest that your mom get her dress started earlier rather than later! The construction of the dress actually took me less time than I anticipated but it still required a lot of fiddling and fitting. The skirt is just a lot of panels (I think I did 6 for the underskirt and 8 for the chiffon overlayer, it's just tedious to french seam the chiffon) but the top was more complicated especially with the velvet trim.

Your embroidery looks great though! I'm totally impressed, I wouldn't have that kind of patience!
__________________
tumblr | ACP
Upcoming Cons - NYCC
Working on - Elizabeth Comstock | Tatsumiya
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2013, 01:34 PM   #307
MaiSheri
Eternal Procrastinator
 
MaiSheri's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2005
Posts: 1,061
Kelley, the embroidery is looking beautiful, and Thia, your dress is gorgeous! You make such a good Margaery *_*

I just picked out 2m of really nice quality faux fur in a pretty chocolate/white mix to line my snowsuit with. And I'm still telling myself that I'm not *actually* making an Ygritte costume T_T
__________________
Conventions for 2014! KW Tri-Con, Con-G, Nerd Fest, Ad-Astra, Costume Con, Anime North, Colossal Con
Cosplay Blog and full Gallery: MaiSheriCostumes.com
MaiSheri is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-08-2013, 09:56 AM   #308
Arlette
Let it Go
 
Arlette's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 1,316
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post



All I have left in this one is a row of triangles along the top of the bottom band. I'm at about 40 hours and I'd say this is about halfway. I have the day off tomorrow and hope to get it done and the vines transferred to the other one (in pencil) and finish my stupid digital file for Spoonflower and perhaps do the one for my mom if I'm lucky (not really thrilled to be doing that since I don't have confidence here's will even get finished).

Wooooooo. I'm losing it. I embroidered in a bar at one point.
This looks beautiful! As someone who has tried hand-embroidery, I can appreciate what a pain in the ass it is. I also enjoy that you're watching X-Files. XD

So, I don't think I've ever been up in this thread before, but the thing is I've made most of one of Dany's dresses from season 3, but where I find myself stuck is that I've only had really bad screencaps to base the design from, and I also have yet to see anyone else make this particular dress. So, like, I have no basis of comparison, either. I already know that I want to go back and thin out the belt, because it's much too thick. I also do have enough fabric in the dress to get the gathered look in the front that she has in the show, it's just that in these photos the dress is more gathered and squished in the back, and held by the belt. If I were to pull more of that forward and THEN cinch it with the belt, it should achieve a more accurate drape. So, aside from those little fixes, is there anything else you guys can see? I know these photos aren't the best.

__________________
"No one decides my fate but me."

Please check out http://www.facebook.com/dualwieldcosplay for more updates, or follow me on Tumblr at http://arlettecosplay.tumblr.com!
Arlette is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #309
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
Quote:
Originally Posted by Thia Fayne View Post
Thank you so much!! The rose is just craft foam and the base "stem" part is a thick wire covered with clay, then I painted/weathered the whole thing ^^
I'm nervous about working with craft foam, but I suppose it's such a small thing and the foam is so cheap that I might as well give it a try! Thanks!

I quit playing video games in order to get this done and I'm quite impressed by how much I can accomplish in that time.

For my mom's dress, I think use the same size 8 panels for both so that she'll be able to just use the first one's pieces to make the second pattern. It will be her first time marking a pattern directly on fabric instead of pinning it on, I think!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaiSheri View Post
I just picked out 2m of really nice quality faux fur in a pretty chocolate/white mix to line my snowsuit with. And I'm still telling myself that I'm not *actually* making an Ygritte costume T_T
>. >
< . <

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arlette View Post
This looks beautiful! As someone who has tried hand-embroidery, I can appreciate what a pain in the ass it is. I also enjoy that you're watching X-Files. XD

So, I don't think I've ever been up in this thread before, but the thing is I've made most of one of Dany's dresses from season 3, but where I find myself stuck is that I've only had really bad screencaps to base the design from, and I also have yet to see anyone else make this particular dress. So, like, I have no basis of comparison, either. I already know that I want to go back and thin out the belt, because it's much too thick. I also do have enough fabric in the dress to get the gathered look in the front that she has in the show, it's just that in these photos the dress is more gathered and squished in the back, and held by the belt. If I were to pull more of that forward and THEN cinch it with the belt, it should achieve a more accurate drape. So, aside from those little fixes, is there anything else you guys can see? I know these photos aren't the best.

There was a good thread in the "Sewing" sub forum about that dress! I'm on my phone or I'd link you now. It had some good pictures and there were a few people making the dress. There's a thread where someone is selling hers in the Marketplace, too - with pictures.

Edit : On my desktop

Thread about construction
Dress for sale thread

I think yours looks pretty good ! It's very simple, but it can be easy to be very fussy about simple things since there isn't so much to look at. I could make suggestions on why the fullness isn't quite right, but I'm not sure it's worth fussing with unless you really, really want to re-do it.



Sketch of that dress on a napkin.

Again, I wouldn't fuss too much about yours - it looks good and is recognisable! I just like theory and this kind of stuff and over-analysing things. There's also the idea it's on the bias - so instead of the middle of the rectangle it would be on a corner. I don't think it's necessary to get the same look and would be harder to do with consumer fabric widths.

Also, my phone is the TARDIS too, haha. : D



Bad picture, but I'm almost done the second one! Then two upper bands, then smocking. Funny thing is I'm pretty certain that his shirt is made of machine embroidered fabric with a continuous repeating pattern and the "bands" along the selvage or whatever.
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan

Last edited by Kelley : 08-10-2013 at 05:23 AM.
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-10-2013, 01:21 PM   #310
Thia Fayne
casually topless
 
Thia Fayne's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2007
Posts: 552
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelley View Post
I'm nervous about working with craft foam, but I suppose it's such a small thing and the foam is so cheap that I might as well give it a try! Thanks!
Yeah, go for it! Craft foam is great, I use it for a lot of things, it's very cheap and versatile! You can shape it with heat (hairdryer/stove) and hot glue is great for glueing it together. Also recommend sealing before painting (white glue if you're making something flexible, gesso if you want to harden it more) to keep the paint from soaking into the foam and looking matte ^^
__________________
tumblr | ACP
Upcoming Cons - NYCC
Working on - Elizabeth Comstock | Tatsumiya
Thia Fayne is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-14-2013, 06:57 PM   #311
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,000
I decided on a whim to cosplay Sansa Stark for the Renaissance Festival. I'm doing this dress from early on. I already got the base of the dress done using the same pattern as I used for Merida. I plan to do the sleeves tomorrow.

I plan to use my real hair as it's red and about the same length.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)

Last edited by Shana05 : 08-15-2013 at 04:59 PM.
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 04:25 PM   #312
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
@Shana05, good luck ! It is a mercifully simple one to have picked on a whim !

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thia Fayne View Post
Yeah, go for it! Craft foam is great, I use it for a lot of things, it's very cheap and versatile! You can shape it with heat (hairdryer/stove) and hot glue is great for glueing it together. Also recommend sealing before painting (white glue if you're making something flexible, gesso if you want to harden it more) to keep the paint from soaking into the foam and looking matte ^^
Thanks ! I got the supplies the other day and found a tutorial or two (link if anyone would like it) so I'm feeling pretty good about trying it !

--

I ordered my fabric !



I took a break from embroidery while doing that, it took me ~15-20 hours. Nevar again.

I had a good three hours where I tried to find a fabric to just buy premade and I discovered something cool :

if you look at vintage sarees with Kantha embroidery : Picture , you will see that they're REALLY similar to various embroidered pieces used on the show - like Sansa's shawl here. I am fairly convinced they used vintage sarees for it as well as Loras's sleeves and some other things - or a textile inspired by such fabrics - the techniques, swirls, and design elements are dead-on.

Also helped friend make pattern for Renly's "armor" :



We weren't going for 100% accuracy, but something a bit more special than "plain doublet" and "a ridiculous amount of work" - especially as this will be their first sewing project. I also managed to pull 10 yards of really fugly velvet (granted, they only really need two) out of my stash for them to use. Honestly, why did I even own that in the first place ?
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2013, 06:44 PM   #313
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover
 
Shana05's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Posts: 5,000
Yeah, it's been pretty simple so making it has gone fast. Here's the dress as of now. Since I've used that pattern before, I knew exactly what to do. The sleeves came from a different pattern I happened to have since I needed bell sleeves. I also make the neckline more v-neck, much like I did with Donna Noble's dress. I just need to make the flowers to sew onto the neckline and then shorten the dress. I plan for mine to be a bit shorter because I don't want it dragging on the ground like it does in the show.

The Ren fair allows dogs so I plan to bring my dog, Penny, to be Lady. Ironically, Lady was her name when she was at the shelter.
__________________
Tumblr - Facebook Fan Page - Etsy Shop

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler) -Chinese!Sakura Kinomoto (Card Captor Sakura)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-19-2013, 02:11 AM   #314
stephanesis
Registered User
 
stephanesis's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2011
Posts: 7
Hi! I'm cosplaying Daenerys for Ohayocon next year!

http://www.michelecarragherembroider...y(2829575).htm
For everyone doing her, Sansa, or Cersi, That site ^^^^^^^^^^^^ Has extremely detailed references and a tutorial of how to do Daenerys' dragonscale embroidery! That is the person who does the embroidery for the costumes's website!!!
stephanesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-30-2013, 07:29 AM   #315
Kelley
Devil of Details
 
Kelley's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 5,449
I slacked off for a while, but still hoping to get the shirt done by the time I originally wanted to. Turns out that after 60 hours of embroidery that all looks the same you can kind of burn out. But! Now I'm almost done with all of it!



Finished lower sleeve with finished smocking. That was a joy - the first time I tried smocking I ended up tearing it out and using a completely different method - which worked much better for this application, but still a lot of nerve-wracking thread cutting trying to not cut the fabric along with it.



My Spoonflower fabric came and while it's not 100% perfect, I can live with it especially since I didn't have time to order a swatch and work with fiddling with it over multiple swatch tests.

Woo. *motivate*
__________________
Disclaimer : This post written by a Grumpy Old Man

Actually in the pipes:
- Remaking Ser Loras doublet.
- Luke Skywalker, A New Hope
- Wind Waker starter costume in swim material
Eventually: Paul from Dune, Faramir, Harry Sullivan
Kelley is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 08:53 PM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.