Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > TV/Movie/Musical (live action)

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 95 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 06-12-2012, 12:10 AM   #106
GlassCannon

Woot, very cool, can't wait to see it! I started on mine in earnest today, dyeing the cording and the trim that Dany's has, cutting the pieces, and seaming them into a big tube. Just finished the last seam (at ~106" each, they took awhile!), gunna fold the whole thing over for the lining layer and see about placing the casings. I'm at maybe 3 hours so far, so I'm guessing this will probably be my fastest costume build ever, lol.

And I really need to get myself a dressform one of these days. Or make one. I'm a bit oddly proportioned, and last winter worked out a plan for turning a flat sloper into a 3D dressform made of muslin. Got about half way done with it before I had to switch gears into "omg, DragonCon is in 80 days!!" mode. It'd make draping muuuuuch easier, as so far I've been draping on myself, while looking in the mirror. Yeah, not ideal.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-16-2012, 01:18 PM   #107
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Blargh, that was a busy and yet unproductive week at the same time. I did start my Lulu dress for the zelda symphony at least, because techincally it's a costume I "need" to make, but I made no headway with the KL Maxi.

I did at least, start playing with accessories, and such. Pretty much everything seems to be falling into a green and gold scheme so I dove into the asoiaf wiki and pretty much concluded that it matches House Tyrell's sheild. Alright, cool Highgarden it is. Maybe I should make a banner too. Hm, I wonder if I can find pics of the banners I saw at the hbo GoT show that was at the tiff....

Umm.... nothing at the moment is being worked on.
All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Costume Con 32 was AMAZING!!!!
Moofingham is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-22-2012, 07:33 PM   #108
GlassCannon

Finally took a couple of quick (no wig, no makeup) shots of the King's Landing Maxi so far, here. My initial idea seems to have panned out well -- this is a simple rectangular tube about 380cm around, with ~142cm drawstring casings at center back and center front. The big metal ring (wrought iron made by a blacksmith I found on Etsy, no joke) in the back weights down the sides, and gives the same drape as we've seen in all the dresses of this style on the show. It's also ridiculously comfortable to wear (or will be once I hem it anyway, hehe).
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Unread 06-24-2012, 12:18 PM   #109
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Oh, that turned out amazing! Bravo, bravo! And the ring is perfect.
So, the measurement of fabric worked out well, then with about 4 yards total? For the casings, was that 140cm, divided into two casings? 70 in the front and 70 in the back? Or both at 140? Leaving about....a half metre under each arm?

All creative power diverted to FanExpo Artist's Alley table! Yay! Accessories and such!

Unread 06-24-2012, 01:17 PM   #110
GlassCannon

Hehe, thanks!

With the fabric I'm using, I had to rotate it 90 degrees, because the crinkles run parallel to the selvage edge rather than perpendicular, which would have allowed me to do just one seam. So with this fabric, I had to do four panels, sewing the selvage edges together. The fabric was listed as 52" wide when I bought it, but washed and seamed, each panel ended up about 95.5cm wide, or just a smidge over a yard. So the four panels together work out to about 4.16 yards.

I did some measuring before I cut and estimated that I wanted about 90cm ungathered at the sides -- I measured from my collarbone where the front casing would end, down under my arm to the base of my spine, then straight up from there to the base if my neck where the back casing would be. With that measurement and knowing that I wanted to hide the seams in the gathers, I decided to make each casing a full panel's width (95.5cm) plus 7.5cm on each side of the seam, or about 110.5cm wide. Sewed that up by turning about 2cm under for the casing, then tried it in with the ring and drawstrings and everything. And I felt like the back was a bit too low for my comfort, with the ring hanging at a height where I'd sit on it, rather than at the top of my hips. So I pinned up some of the extra to get an idea of how much I wanted to raise it, and added another 16cm to each side of each casing, making each casing about 142.5cm long.

In theory, that leaves only 48.5cm ungathered under each arm, but because of the crinkles this fabric does have some mechanical stretch, so in reality the distance is longer than that, with the weight of the ring pulling the crinkles out a bit. Rather than extending the casings by 16cm on each side, I could have just taken that same amount out at the seams and had the same result, only slightly less full in the gathered sections. I may still do that because I think the gathered sections might be a tad too full now, but I didn't want to cut into the fabric until I had the side fit right.

Anyhow, I hope that all makes sense, lol. I switched to cm for sewing a few years back and now have basically no ability to use inches when sewing, hehe. But for reference, I'm 5'2"/157.5cm tall, short-waisted, and my bust is about 37"/94cm. For me with this fabric, this is what worked out well, but I think it's going to be a bit different for each person and each fabric, but thankfully adding or subtracting from the casing length isn't difficult at all, especially as fitting goes, heh. I'm hoping to be able to distill this down to how to take measurements that will work for anyone before I write the tutorial, but even without the tutorial I think anyone with some sewing experience should be able to tackle this no problem.

Next up is the hem, which I'll do today or tomorrow, and that'll be the final test to see if this could be done really simply with the right fabric, using the selvage edge as the hem, or if it'll need a bit more finessing at the hem. At this point I don't know if the sides will need to be hemmed shorter than front and back or if it'll all hang just right, but we'll see soon.
Unread 06-24-2012, 02:15 PM   #111
GlassCannon

Oh, I also meant to add: I ended up not not doubling my fabric over, even though it's a bit sheer. It was starting to look seriously thick with two layers, so instead I'm going to make a skirt to go under the dress. But that also means that unhemmed it's more than twice as long as it needs to be, lol.
Unread 06-24-2012, 03:06 PM   #112
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Quote:
Originally Posted by GlassCannon View Post
Oh, I also meant to add: I ended up not not doubling my fabric over, even though it's a bit sheer. It was starting to look seriously thick with two layers, so instead I'm going to make a skirt to go under the dress. But that also means that unhemmed it's more than twice as long as it needs to be, lol.
Twice as long....or two dresses in one! Anyways! Thanks for the write up, that really helps. I will need to extend the width of mine since my material will not have the stretch in it, maybe by another 30 cm or so (based on the hilarious draping i was trying on myself) on each side to make up for the lack of stretch and that I have another four inches of bust on ya, though I might reduce it out of the gathering since Shae's is less full than dany's, at least in part. I luck out in seams though, since I got a 150cm width with no nap, so I can cut my contrast to fit, and have the seams in the gathers. I'll hem based on nice flat comfy sandals, which is so exciting since my last two costumes changed my citizenship to blister city.

Actually debating on making the seams proper using flat fell seams, those we will see how that goes. Might need to put a wee bit of interfacing into the casing of the non contrast material at the front for better weight support on that section.

Lol, I'll use the strangest mixture of measurements depending on need. Sewing I'll use metric or imperial, baking in cups, mileage in kilometres... Whatever works. If I need a metre I use one, If i need a foot I'll use that too.

Unread 06-25-2012, 09:52 PM   #113
GlassCannon

More progress from the weekend, with pic here. Once I hemmed it and got the shoulder drape worked out, I looked at some screenshots with my hubby and we both agreed that the back panel was looking too puffy, so I opened up one of the back seams and took about 48cm out of the back panel and seamed it back up again. I think it looks much better now (pre-cut on the left of that picture, post on the right), better than shows up in the photo, much less thick and puffy. I left the front alone because I tend to be a bit top-heavy, way more so than any of the actresses, so the full 142cm in front looks right on me.

So there's roughly 142cm in the front casing, 48.5cm ungathered on each side, and 94cm in the back casing, for a total of ~333cm, or 3.6 yards. But a different fabric might have not looked as puffy when gathered down, and/or looked more proportional on a different body. This is by far the easiest fitting I've ever done, so I'm not going to complain, lol.

Moofingham, on your flatfelled seams, my only concern would be that actually flatfelling them (as opposed to just French seams or pinked seams or whatever) might make it heavier than the rest of the fabric and thus hang weird. OTOH, if your contrast fabric is pretty lightweight, the flatfelled seams might give it more structure and encourage it to hang straight to the floor. Hard to say until you try. Can't wait to see how yours comes along!
Unread 06-26-2012, 01:16 AM   #114
AngelicKey

here is my fabric for Daenerys' blue and gold Qarth dress.

Unread 06-26-2012, 08:21 AM   #115
MissLunatic
Someone

Hey^^
cool, somehow just noticed the thread after I started only yesterday to inquire if ppl around my place would like to cosplay from A Song of Ice and Fire as well.^^
Maybe we get a little group together for next year. Looks good so far and since we might have Dany and Viserys already I ended up tempted to cosplay Young Griff from ADWD or maybe Rhaegar Targaryen. (Since I like so many chars, but wouldn't feel comfortable to cosplay my favechar who just happens to be an 8-9 year old girl XD.)
So far we would be just dragons and wolves though^^.
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #116
GlassCannon

AngelicKey, I've been following your progress on Facebook, can't wait to see how it turns out!

MissLunatic, welcome to the club! Definitely keep us updated on your progress, especially since those are some of the more rare ASoIaF characters to see.
Unread 06-27-2012, 04:49 PM   #117
Yummy Gamorah
Miss Gamorah, Please!

Howdy all! I'm just finishing up my first Daenerys dress and since it seems that Game of Thrones costuming is addictive I figured i should come seek help in this support group - I'm getting ready to start my 2nd Danny costume next month.

@Glasscannon I love your maxi dress it looks great

@Angelickey cant wait to see progress on your Qarth dress!
Yummy Gamorah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 04:08 PM   #118
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

Excellent, more comrades in arms!

Currently, waiting for iron to cool down so I can start back on the dress. (Nana beseeched her grandaughter to reinforce her drape seams. There were many. Much steam was used. Iron is now too hot for my own dress fabric.)

So far....I've sewn the contrast material to the main material. XD; Not much of anything. I plan on starting on the upper hem today, so I can then fiddle around with the casings. Currently the measurements sit at 3.6m of green, 0.5m of contrast, which will seperate into two casings of 110cm each, with 95cm at the sides - give or take. I finally found my own ring that I hope will work; a steel hitching ring from Canadian Tire. Seems heavy enough, and should take the paint if I want to change it to gold to match the motif I have going on here. Very tempted to add dangling thingies to the ring for more interest. Yay! Bustle jewlery!

Unread 06-28-2012, 08:06 PM   #119
MissLunatic
Someone

Thanks, GlassCannon . Happy to join. It has somehow become so popular since the TV series was released^^.
Well, actually when I first asked we would have had maybe 3 possible Danys xD. But for that reason some thought of other chars as well.
Uhm, I'm not sure though if there is much to share yet xD. Most likely it will take till next October (2013) since it would be most awesome to cosplay this at a bookfair to my mind.^^
So I'm not going to start working on a cosplay very soon (still so much to do for this year ^^''). Just if I'd cosplay a second char on another occasion I might.
Only recruiting just yet and we'll as always have to see how many will stick to this till the end. Currently we'd be 5 though. Dany, Viserys and Aegon of the Targs and Robb and Jon of the Starks.
MissLunatic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-28-2012, 09:56 PM   #120
Moofingham
Randomosity at 88mHz

@Miss Lunatic - That's an awesome start! I hope everyone and more sticks to it so you guys have a good group.

...I just had a wonderfully productive evening. I overlocked all the raw edges in the seams, hemmed the upper part of the dress, and stitched on both casings. <--is proud of herself. Now, I'm at the point of being able to test out the gathers and draping. I have two widths of gold cord I can use, depending on what looks best - the bias tape I applied to make the casing could fit either depending. The contrast material I used is a great deal thicker than the body material, so I wonder if I will have to use the thinner cord to make it gather tighter....but that must wait until tomorrow for The Night is Dark and Full of Reading.