Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 07-11-2011, 07:57 PM   #1
Sorata2002
Local Dragonslayer

Cosplaying Fanart/Variants

Since I'm fairly new to cosplay I was wondering about this. What do cosplayers (new and experienced) think of cosplaying fanart or different variants? More emphasis on the idea of cosplaying from fanart. I saw this fan art variation of a character that looks pretty sweet and it made me think of this topic. To give an idea, it was a pretty different variation but you could tell who it was. Instead of neck long hair, it was pulled back into a thin pony tail and instead of a coat, it was a sleeveless high neck shirt.

Anime USA '11
Katsucon '12
Otakon '12

Thank you ANImakeup for making my Dragon Force Natsu come alive for Otakon! http://web.me.com/queentoast/animakeupfx/Welcome.html
Sorata2002 is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-11-2011, 08:07 PM   #2
alpha_helix
beer + costumes

For fanart, you might want to get the artist's permission before cosplaying. Some artists are very protective of their designs. Otherwise, I think it's great fun. I like seeing new twists on characters, and I've done quite a few myself.
youtube channel! Facebook Page
alpha_helix is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:10 PM   #3
Sorata2002
Local Dragonslayer

That I was planning on doing from the start if I indeed did cosplay a fanart. I would advertise the heck out of his/her work!

Anime USA '11
Katsucon '12
Otakon '12

Thank you ANImakeup for making my Dragon Force Natsu come alive for Otakon! http://web.me.com/queentoast/animakeupfx/Welcome.html
Sorata2002 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:17 PM   #4
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

I've actually been wondering this since my cosplay is, although official, is non-canon. Is there a point where a variant becomes an OC (Original Character)?

I do apologize if this is thread-jacking.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:21 PM   #5
sephygoth
Hater lover

As much as I liek the idea, it might be hard to take a comment or 2 about it not being accurate...if you care.
That and ppl, well like myself, would wonder why you liek the character itself so much if you'r going with something that's not the original Artist's design? It's just me.
I've done a fan art, it's simplistic and a dam dirty JOKE (2chan web comic of Astaroth)
XD but I did it, tons of views and all that, but I don;t take it seriously as a cosplay.
I guess it's like cosplaying a cosplayer's version....to me.

ah darkcloud, my assumption on OC's is the lack of character material and referencing no series,character/etc in honor of the so called "original" aspect. I got a lot of these kicking around XD
sephygoth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:23 PM   #6
AngelStarAvalon
Lacus Clyne

If you want to do, do it. I love seeing characters in something different then what they wear in the series. I plan on doing several fanart version of Lacus Clyne.

"If you have the power to make a differance why not use it?" ~ Mwu La Fllaga
AngelStarAvalon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 08:37 PM   #7
~H~
Original H

This is kind of backwards....but my husband did a fanart of my Voltorb gijinka (which I colored ^_-).

Anyway, I'm definitely a fan of cosplaying based on fanart. I believe that the whole Pokemon Gijinka cosplay craze is based around that notion. So it's certainly a widely accepted idea ^_-.
~H~ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:03 PM   #8
Angel Tear
Sugar Snow

When you see the character a few times at a con it can be refreshing to see them with a different spin. As mentioned before, gijinka, particularly for pokemon is something that is on the rise as of late, simply because its impossible for us to become creatures with pointy ears, grow a foot or two higher and have flaming tails. Its unrealistic for us, cosplayers, artists in our own right to limit ourselves to looking exactly like the characters. So I definitely support the idea of new twists to existing characters
Kureha
Flower
Angel Tear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:08 PM   #9
suiseiusagi
[enterwittyphrasehere]

I say if the artist approves (which they almost absolutely will) and you don't mind the occasional "But that's not what ENTER-NAME-HERE looks like!!! D: " then go for it! You obviously love the character if you've been looking up fanart of them, and it can bring a breath of fresh air to an otherwise normal cosplay. I consider it on par with cosplayers who do cosplays of cover art or promo art. If the character is still easily recognized, that's cool, either way you can tell anyone who asks to check out the artist's work- both original and fanartist.

I know that as an artist/fanartist I would personally be flattered to have anyone cosplay my designs.

Out of curiousity, who's the character and what's the fanart you're thinking of doing? :3

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarkCloudInc View Post
I've actually been wondering this since my cosplay is, although official, is non-canon. Is there a point where a variant becomes an OC (Original Character)?

I do apologize if this is thread-jacking.
I'm more curious about what "official but non-canon" would mean. XD If you thought up the character from your own mind (design and story), not rooted in anyone's else's work, it's your own and can be considered an OC (until you maybe write/draw the story, then it's just your property). If you thought up a character (design and/or story) that IS rooted in anyone else's work (say, another shinigami in Bleach or another trainer in Pokemon), it's an OC of yours for that series. If you put an existing character in an outfit of your own design, that's fanart. ... Or at least that's what makes sense to me. :'D
Blue Exorcist: Michelle Neuhaus
Code Geass: Princess Cornelia
Avatar/ Legend of Korra: Lin Beifong

Last edited by suiseiusagi : 07-11-2011 at 09:14 PM.
suiseiusagi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 09:46 PM   #10
PersicomMaid
Tao is sleepy!

i've been thinking about cosplaying my original character in her Roleplaying Group Uniform. I already got permission from the creator of the group to do it so if i've got the time and the money I will do it!

AniMinneapolis July 8-10th 2011
Cosplays:
Stocking - Panty and Stocking with Garterbelt - 100%
Kid Goten - Dragon Ball Z - 100%
Taokaka - BlazBlue - 100%

Anime Detour 2012
Cosplays:
Evangelene - Negima
Blair - soul eater
Protagonist (female) - persona 3
PersicomMaid is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 10:57 PM   #11
DarkCloudInc
S. M. R. T. I mean...

Quote:
Originally Posted by suiseiusagi View Post
[...]
I'm more curious about what "official but non-canon" would mean. XD If you thought up the character from your own mind (design and story), not rooted in anyone's else's work, it's your own and can be considered an OC (until you maybe write/draw the story, then it's just your property). If you thought up a character (design and/or story) that IS rooted in anyone else's work (say, another shinigami in Bleach or another trainer in Pokemon), it's an OC of yours for that series. If you put an existing character in an outfit of your own design, that's fanart. ... Or at least that's what makes sense to me. :'D
Here's the reference image I used to build my cosplay around. It is an official piece of art; however, up to this date, he has never had wings in the entire series. In the anime adaptation, he has wings only in the opening but never in the actual show. So, it's official but non-canon.
---
Planned Cosplay 2014 - Winged Armor Year: Tentative
Pegasus God Cloth - Silver [Saint Seiya]
ACen?: Sat?
DarkCloudInc is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:04 PM   #12
Shana05
Annie Leonhardt Lover

I'm actually wanting to buy this Alois costume which is from a doujinshi.

I would suggest if doing so that it's not too OOC, to avoid confusion.

Working on: Lolita!Annie Leonhardt (Attack on Titan) - Red Riding Hood!Alois Trancy (Black Butler)
Shana05 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:12 PM   #13
Mesoian
I Can't Be Cool

I, personally, will try to at least keep it official, since most fan art is terrible.

However, stuff from artbooks, costume variants that show up in the manga/anime/game, stuff that actually exists, sure. Absolutely. Sometimes it can provide much needed variety in an otherwise stagnant pool (There are 4 official yoko outfits, I only ever see 1).

~Well If It Ain't Finally a Question That's Worth Answering~
Mesoian is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-11-2011, 11:19 PM   #14
heaven_firings

As long as it is still recognizably the character & the art/outfit is good I wouldn't have a problem with it. There's actually a few I've seen that I could see myself wanting to try.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mesoian View Post
However, stuff from artbooks, costume variants that show up in the manga/anime/game, stuff that actually exists, sure. Absolutely. Sometimes it can provide much needed variety in an otherwise stagnant pool (There are 4 official yoko outfits, I only ever see 1).
I think I know the one you're talking about too. But the same could be said about Tsubasa, I always see they're default outfits but they have so many good ones from the other worlds/artbooks. That's why I chose an artbook outfit for my Kurogane (can't wait).
heaven_firings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-25-2011, 01:33 PM   #15
LadyAri13
Seeker

Ive been wondering how well my version of Lulu (FFX) will b accepted so Im glad I found this. U know who I am of course wen u c me but since I couldnt afford to make a more accurate cosplay version I went for a slightly original approach by making a really cool dress. I may actually wear it to the formal ball.