Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Makeup and Eye Contacts

Unread 07-12-2011, 09:16 AM   #1
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Fake Nails - need advice

I need to paint some fake nails for a costume. I would like to be able to use them again, so I don't want to stick them on permanently. They need to stay put for at least an hour. Does anyone have any brand or adhesive suggestions? Would double-stick tape be strong enough?

Also, will acrylic paint work for color, or should I stick to nail polish?

Thank You!

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-12-2011, 09:57 AM   #2
Corunes

From my experience, I wouldn't reuse fake nails... you COULD, however, it's nicer to just use new ones. What you would do is remove all of the adhesive on your nails and the fake nails that is left over from before ( do this right after taking them off the first time) and then reapply the nails with the glue.

Fake nails that you buy at a store usually aren't permanent because you can soften the glue between the nails, usually by putting your fingers in warm water or nail polish remover, then gently pulling them off of the real nail.

About the adhesive, I would buy nail glue. They should come in the fake nails box, and if it isn't, buy some at the store in the cosmetics section (they sell just the glue in small blue, sometimes pink tubes, in case you've lost it or need a quick nail fix.) The reason I wouldn't use something like double stick tape is that it isn't meant for your nails or the fake nails, and it would fall off easier imo.

Paint over the nails with nail polish. However, first rub each nail with nail polish remover (just a bit) and preferably you've bought plain fake nails. Then paint with the polish and paint over a base coat, let dry, glue with the nail adhesive to your real nails, and done.

I'm not sure if acrylic paint works for nails... you could try

Good luck!
*TARDIS 0%
Corunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 10:16 AM   #3
ByeByeBeautiful
angels have the phonebox

Thanks!

Oh, and I should have specified - I don't want to re-paint the nails, just to take them on and off. It's an elaborate paint job that I would rather not have to do again.

So will warm water dissolve the nail glue and allow the cosplayer to remove them?

Next Con
Youmacon 2011

ByeByeBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 03:33 PM   #4
StrawberrySiren
Five Feet of POWAH!

Acrylic paint doesn't come off for anything except for turpentine. It's the reason I never wore nail polish in high school.

Also, what about press-on nails? If you run out of adhesive for them, you can try the double stick tape. Don't know how that would work though.

Tumblr|Twitter|DeviantArt
StrawberrySiren is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 05:30 PM   #5
Penguin428

I agree to do the nail glue. If you soak your hands in warm water for like an hour it will peel off easily (it might not even need that long but the longer they soak the easier pulling them up will be. From what I remember press on nails will pop off if you hit something, which will have made the time painting them pointless.
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:35 PM   #6
Corunes

Like Penguin428 said, soaking them in warm water will help peel it off. you only need to for about 30 minutes, but an hour is good for extra measure. Be sure it's soft before trying to peel it off or it can be painful!

What it does is it softens the nail and glue (Think of how easy your nails break after coming out of the pool!). I'd mix a little nail polish remover into the warm water to help the process along, but if it's an elaborate paint job I wouldn't risk ruining the details with that.
*TARDIS 0%
Corunes is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-12-2011, 09:55 PM   #7
hollowchrist
oi, watch it spaceman.

The fake glue-on nails from Wal-Mart should do you fine. They're pretty cheap too, you can get a box of like, a good hundred nails for five bucks - glue included. Paint the nails, trim your natural nails down, then glue the fake ones on. They should last you the entire day as long as you don't pick at them or do anything hardcore with them. I've worn the glue-ons from Wal-Mart successfully for a few days at a time only having to glue one or two back on. Acrylic paint will work, but apply a coat of clear nail polish over it to make it shiny and pretty. I have a friend who makes custom glue on nails and she uses acrylic paint for some of the ones she does that are more complex.

super sailor chibi moon -- 85%
late but lucky (madness returns) -- planning

eBay | FaceBook | Marketplace
Add Me!
hollowchrist is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:15 AM   #8
AGarmentOfWings

Someone on another thread suggested these
http://www.sallybeauty.com/Nail-Tip-...efault,pd.html
when I asked about a way to avoid using the scary super glue type nail glues that need to be removed with acetone, which would at least partially dissolve the plastic nail itself.They're basically a stronger version of doublestick tape, and they stay on pretty well (I did a test last weekend) even if you wash your hands a lot... I had to soak my nails in warm water for about 15 minutes to be able to peel them off (instead of peeling the nail up, it can help if you slide the fake nail off by pushing it away from you, parallel to your real nail). Then I soaked the fake nails in water a bit longer to soften the remaining glue so that it was easier to remove from the fake nails.

Since they'll come off with just water, you could paint the fake nails, and use the tip sit Kees for multiple applications. I've heard you can get a similar product at the dollar store, but I'm not sure if it's as sticky.
- blue and white hanfu (most of Shusui's blue and white outfit (.Story of Saiunkoku)
AGarmentOfWings is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 03:44 PM   #9
rawien8706
has mad [photo] skills

Guess it depends what you'd want to use 'em for... I get double sided tape (or whatever it is that adhesive is called) with fake nails for one of my cosplays. Can't function with them on so I use 'em for photoshoots if I can't paint my nails in time. Once the photoshoot is done (as long as they haven't popped off already) I remove them. Depends how hard you push on the adhesive for the nails. I haven't had any pop off when I wore 'em, though I couldn't touch anything in the meantime...so that could have been why...

Yes, I am one of those indecisive cosplayers . . . so be fair warned.
CosplayFacebook || DeviantART || YouTube || Etsy || PhotogFacebook

rawien8706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 04:31 PM   #10
lost_teflon
SHOXX is my VOGUE

Didn't read all the comments so sorry in advance if I'm repeating something XD

I had this very issue to think through with my Jasmine You cosplay. The nails are pretty much decora-ed out with gems and stuff that cost me a couple bucks on their own, so these pretty much HAVE to be re-usable. Basically, you know the sticky pads that come with fake nails from CVS and other stores? Just use those. When you're done for the day, carefully with a file or toothpick, scrape all of the sticky residue off of the nail. Sure it's a little sticky for next time, but all the work you put into them won't be wasted on a 1 time use. You will just need to use a new pad each time you wear them. It definitely is harder to do things with them on, but as long as you're not putting too much strain on them, they'll last all day.

Otakon 2011 Lineup
Jasmine You (Revenant Choir)- Friday and Saturday
Switzerland- Sunday

2011 shall be known as the year of epic j-rock cosplay!
Jasmine You~ Revenant Choir (DONE)
Hizaki~ Philia and Masquerade (Maybe....)
Reita~ Filth in the Beauty (if I have energy!)

lost_teflon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-29-2013, 07:09 AM   #11
KathleenBobear

Use any of the local brand glue that won’t have strong adhesive. And take care of your nails as some of the fake nails do damage your original nails too, hope you have bought fake nails from Nail Products Distributors.
KathleenBobear is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 02:01 AM   #12
spookehdoom
Batz. Batz O'Hell.

NAIL GLUE IS CYANOACRYLATE AKA SUPERGLUE. IT WILL NOT SOAK OFF IN WARM WATER. THE NAIL GLUE HAS TO BE REMOVED WITH ACETONE WHICH MELTS THE FAKE NAIL AND GLUE.

Fake nails come with little adhesive "stickers" which you peel off the paper, stick on your nail, peel off the top paper, then attach your fake nail on top of that. THESE STICKERS WILL SOAK OFF IN WARM WATER. If you use the stickers, be careful because the nails CAN and WILL fall off if you aren't careful.

Alternative dyes (Manic Panic, Special Effects) are vegetable dyes and stain. They are not water-based. Don't want to see your hair stained later on? Don't do it.
spookehdoom is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 10:47 AM   #13
WARPAINTandUnicorns
Black Magic Woman

^ My experience as well. I have cracked them off but I don't really recommend that.

The one I've be able you use twice are these imPress nails.
http://impressmanicure.com/

Once with the glue they have then peel them off. The second time with remove the original glue and then applying them with nail glue.

Anime North '15
Souryuu / Sohryu - Yami no Matsuei (Fri)
Nehelenia ~ Sailor Moon (Sat)

Future cosplays/cons:
Allen Crown Clown
Sakizo Anniversary
Steampunk - Bride

For Sale
cosplay items, wigs, and materails for sale.
Arda & Shop.cosplay wig fiber swatch comparisons & Cosplay props tutorials and Makeup reviews!
WARPAINTandUnicorns is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-31-2013, 04:23 PM   #14
Ion
イオン

Noticed that this thread is old as balls, but just wanted to say kudos to Spookeh for clarifying that nail glue is super glue and that acetone is required for removal. I thought this was common knowledge but moreover, who honestly has 1 hour to try and soak their hands in water, especially when the practice goes against basic chemistry.

I totally endorse the nail sticker/tape method if you want the convenience of having a set of nails on for a few hours or a day for cosplay purposes. You cannot use your nails as "tools" e.g. opening things etc, but with care, they will be fine and they do not jack up your natural nails like the glue adhesives can (regardless of whether you waited for the nails to fall off or expedited the process by trying to pop them off). Plus the tape will peel off the nails easily so you can start with a fresh "application" when you need them next. I have a bag of 200 clear nails from China that I can paint and rewear as needed and they are lasting much longer than anticipated. They cost $3 on eBay, so if anyone likes making custom sets or needs to cosplay several characters who have different colored nails, it is a totally sound investment.

I agree with AniBee, the ImPress nails are really nice quality, especially if you need a darker/bolder color that might be hard to remove if you used actual nail polish on your natural nails.

And for cleanup: If your nails feel "sticky" from using stickers, the goo can easily be removed with baby oil + a soapy wash afterward to remove said oil.

CURRENT PROJECTS
Elsa - Frozen (coronation gown) | Satsuki Kiryuin - Kill la Kill | Toothiana - Rise of the Guardians | Legolas - Lord of the Rings | Baroness - G.I. Joe
Ion is offline   Reply With Quote