Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Original Designs

Unread 07-20-2011, 05:57 AM   #1
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Masquerade costume

So really this isn't for a anime convention. This year I went to The Labirynth of Jareth's masquerade ball for the first time. It was kinda cool but I felt out of place because I just kinda had on a nice dress while other people were wearing AMAZING costumes.

I'm trying to come up with ideas for next year to make an amazing costume.I want to do something special next year. I've already come up with a character for the ball. It's snow based and I was wondering if anyone could give me ideas to make this costume amazing.

It's going to be pretty basic to start out with, I don't sew that well. Also: LOTS of sparkles.

So here's the top of the outfit. The basic Idea is a halter neck that just drapes over an underbust corset. No I'm not afraid of showing off skin and I'm aware that will take alot of double sided tape lol. All fabric will be white and light so I can move and breathe easier.

The bottom in front will drape and be gathered at the hips and secured with diamond(rhinstone) pins in the shape of snowflakes. Im still debating if I want to make the back gathered with a bustle or just hang loose. Also I'm wearing white ballet slippers( the practice ones) for my shoes.

My hair is slightly long and dark brown. I'm thinking of curling it and like last year putting iridescent snowflakes in my hair like last year (which worked really well by hairspraying it) I'm also getting elf ears and I'm going to put the same iridescent fake snow under my eyes and perhaps down my body. Any ideas for makeup would be good too.

Any ideas for something to give it a little boost? I want to give it a little oomph, right now I feel it's a bit plain.

Unread 07-20-2011, 01:44 PM   #2
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

A bit too simple as it is now: I think it needs more in the way of layers and ornamentation before you'll feel AMAZING in it.

The first thing I'd change is the front, or rather the legs. Bare legs and bare knees poking out often look kind of awkward. Boots can help with that, but you're wearing ballet slippers. So! What looks loose and swoopy and good with ballet slippers? Turkish trousers/harem pants. Simplicity has a good pattern. Blousy pants with a gathered overskirt, especially bustled, look fabulous. Blousy pants, gathered skirt, THEN a bustled overskirt look even more so. Opulence uber alles! More fabric, more opulence! And it doesn't have to be complicated sewing, either. Just LOTS.

For the top, I'm all about adding layers again. And the swoopy. How about an undershirt of gauze/organza with big drapey sleeves? Like Chinese opera costume sleeves, past your hands and down to your knees and such. (scroll down this page. I'm talking about the "water sleeves") Your halter top looks fine, but you simply MUST use that nice expanse of exposed chest-flesh as a place to display all the rhinestones, silver, and clear glass beads you can get your hands on.

And you know what would look cool on your head? A headdress/tiara/thingy with a wide veil over it. Paint or bead some snowflakes on that and you've got a snowfall metaphor in motion.

In general: +layers, +trim, +ornaments. For something like this that's supposed to look fantastical and sublime, you need to make everything MORE. Make things poofier, sparklier, bigger, higher, MORE. The scale is different than with normal clothes. Subtlety will just make you look unfinished. Add trim and drapery and beads until you think you've got way too much, then add about 10% more.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)

Last edited by Mangochutney : 07-20-2011 at 02:00 PM.
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-20-2011, 06:53 PM   #3
Sakurairis
Manic Maid

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
A bit too simple as it is now: I think it needs more in the way of layers and ornamentation before you'll feel AMAZING in it.

The first thing I'd change is the front, or rather the legs. Bare legs and bare knees poking out often look kind of awkward. Boots can help with that, but you're wearing ballet slippers. So! What looks loose and swoopy and good with ballet slippers? Turkish trousers/harem pants. Simplicity has a good pattern. Blousy pants with a gathered overskirt, especially bustled, look fabulous. Blousy pants, gathered skirt, THEN a bustled overskirt look even more so. Opulence uber alles! More fabric, more opulence! And it doesn't have to be complicated sewing, either. Just LOTS.

For the top, I'm all about adding layers again. And the swoopy. How about an undershirt of gauze/organza with big drapey sleeves? Like Chinese opera costume sleeves, past your hands and down to your knees and such. (scroll down this page. I'm talking about the "water sleeves") Your halter top looks fine, but you simply MUST use that nice expanse of exposed chest-flesh as a place to display all the rhinestones, silver, and clear glass beads you can get your hands on.

And you know what would look cool on your head? A headdress/tiara/thingy with a wide veil over it. Paint or bead some snowflakes on that and you've got a snowfall metaphor in motion.

In general: +layers, +trim, +ornaments. For something like this that's supposed to look fantastical and sublime, you need to make everything MORE. Make things poofier, sparklier, bigger, higher, MORE. The scale is different than with normal clothes. Subtlety will just make you look unfinished. Add trim and drapery and beads until you think you've got way too much, then add about 10% more.
Thanks for all the advice! I'm really thinking of doing most of these things. I've allready got another idea about a "crown" there's a wreath I'm looking at making or I'm thinking of something close to that. I love the ideas for the sleeves and pants though. I'm going to add them to my sketch and see how they look, although I'm pretty sure I'll most likely be going with the pants idea with two different skirts, one for the draping and then one for the bustle.

Again thank you SO much.