Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 02-22-2014, 09:57 PM   #1
FootNote
FootNote Photo

Getting quality Photos at Cons

So I am going to my first con with the goal of getting quality photos of cos-players. Now I always see photos of cos-players at cons, and 95% of the time they simply look like snapshots, which there is nothing wrong with that if you are simply trying to cover the event.

From what I can tell is there is two key problems.

A: Lighting.
B: Background.

Now the convention I am going to is pretty big Emerald City Comic Con, I have never been so this will be my first time. I am not entirely sure what to expect as far as where it is being hosted and the layout of the convention. My goal is to get photoshoot quality photos at the convention even though I don't have a room to shoot in or a booth.

I plan on fixing those problems by my strobe with me, its only an AB400 so its not overly large and hopefully not too many people will give it too much attention. I will be able to create a spotlight effect and everything behind the cos-player will be dark. I also plan on minimizing the background (which should be black) by getting more close up photos, focusing on parts of the costume, head shots, 1/3 shots, ect ect. I am hoping I can set the strobe up in a corner somewhere out of the way.

So am I missing anything that is key for shooting at a convention?

Unread 02-23-2014, 05:41 PM   #2
nathancarter
See My Etchings.

What modifier(s) are you using to create the spotlight effect? A gridded snoot? Gridded BD?

Are you arranging with people beforehand, or are you just setting up somewhere and grabbing passers-by for quick shots?

Indoors, if you're just using a standard umbrella or dish reflector, you're going to have a lot of issues with bounce/spill keeping you from dropping the background to black - unless you find a moderately large & empty room.

Outdoors, it's not too hard to kill the background, but a single light gives you a little limitation in flexibility.

I did approximately the same thing last year at the DC meetup at MegaCon, using two Speedlights. It was pretty hard to kill all the ambient, but your AB is way more powerful than Speedlights - so IF you can find a location where you can control bounce/spill, you can close down the aperture and/or use a ND to kill the ambient... until your battery pack runs out

Here's one with last year's setup. Main light is in a brolly box to camera left; kicker light is bare, sitting on my backpack to rear camera right, to give some separation form the background. Note that the background is not completely clipped to black.

MegaCon_20130316_2951.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr

It didn't work as well for groups

MegaCon_20130316_3034.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr

Director's cut alternate ending:
Instead of killing background to completely black, find someplace that doesn't have an objectionable background. It might take a little bit of wandering around, and looking at the space with a very specific intent.

This is the same day, same building (Orange County convention center in Orlando), approximately the same setup, at a little planter right inside one of the entry ways at the far end of the convention space.

MegaCon_20130316_2827.jpg by nathancarter, on Flickr
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:07 PM   #3
FootNote
FootNote Photo

Thanks for the well thought out reply. I am pretty simple when it comes to modifiers. I have a grid for the spotlight and only the diffuser for the BD. I will probably bring the BD but I highly doubt I will even take it out of the jeep.

Right now I am trying to connect with as many people as I can before hand, so far I am talking to one cosplayer I met on here and there is one more well known cosplayer I am trying to arrange something with while she is here but outside her first message I have yet to hear from her again. I am also going to try and network with some cosplayers I meet there and set something up, rather than set something up and try and wave people down.

Indoors the plan is just the gridded spotlight, which has worked great in my past photoshoots but I think the key will be tight shots and angles. I hate overpowering photos with PS (Mainly because I am horrible at it) but as long as I can get a distinct difference between lighting the model and the background I can make the background block out completely.

I am not completely object to shooting outdoors but being Seattle I am not counting on the weather being good, and also I have no idea what the area is going to be like so I always imagine the worse. I defiantly plan on checking out the surrounding area.
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:20 PM   #4
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

I feel like an AB400 (or any studio strobe) would be a big liability at cons because you'll be very restricted to where you can shoot since you'll need an outlet. Unless you have a battery pack. But if you're using mostly grids I would go with a speedlight setup with some grids slapped on. I'm personally not a fan of people taking up entire walkways with studio strobes and stands, but you may be able to find a good spot that works well and doesn't turn into a walking hazard, who knows.

Upcoming Convention:

Anime LA (Will be holding photoshoots)
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:31 PM   #5
FootNote
FootNote Photo

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonJohnSoup View Post
I feel like an AB400 (or any studio strobe) would be a big liability at cons because you'll be very restricted to where you can shoot since you'll need an outlet. Unless you have a battery pack. But if you're using mostly grids I would go with a speedlight setup with some grids slapped on. I'm personally not a fan of people taking up entire walkways with studio strobes and stands, but you may be able to find a good spot that works well and doesn't turn into a walking hazard, who knows.
Sadly when I took a long brake from photography, the one speed light I did have is gone because the batteries blew up in it lol.

I do see what your saying though and it is my concern too which is why I posted on here. I am really not trying to be "That Guy" when getting photos, but at the same time, if I can get the right photos then... *shrug* Don't get me wrong, Ideally I will find an out of the way location to do shoots. I really don't plan on setting up in the middle of a walk way and stopping traffic. My biggest problem is ignorance, I have never been to this event before so I am not sure whats going to be were ect ect.
Unread 02-23-2014, 08:40 PM   #6
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

Quote:
Originally Posted by FootNote View Post
Sadly when I took a long brake from photography, the one speed light I did have is gone because the batteries blew up in it lol.

I do see what your saying though and it is my concern too which is why I posted on here. I am really not trying to be "That Guy" when getting photos, but at the same time, if I can get the right photos then... *shrug* Don't get me wrong, Ideally I will find an out of the way location to do shoots. I really don't plan on setting up in the middle of a walk way and stopping traffic. My biggest problem is ignorance, I have never been to this event before so I am not sure whats going to be were ect ect.
Hear ya. What I did my first con was scout it the day ahead. You may not need to go that far. Maybe just walk in without your lighting gear and see if you can do with modify natural light. The snapshot style photos you're seeing are what the hobby calls "hallway shots" and they're mostly for recording the event casually, yeah. For controlled lighting I see 90% portable speedlight setups. They especially come out in hordes during the night haha

I carry two yong nuos with radio triggers and carry my two small light stands in my arms or occasionally on my backpack. Depending on the con I really have to hunt down locations that can stand in as a studio style backdrops (parking lots will have lot of photogs funneling down there if the con is particularly difficult). Good luck!

Upcoming Convention:

Anime LA (Will be holding photoshoots)
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 03-24-2014, 07:06 PM   #7
Wyumez

I saw three people with four strobes at the last con I was at. I thought the lighting was ample and would receive the same result in post. I carry light so I usually bring a (wide lens so people will stop walking between my shots). I try to move myself to make it favorable to the lighting. I noticed many people pose in front of the light source, which makes them dark. I try to change direction once they allow me to take their picture.
Wyumez is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-09-2014, 10:51 PM   #8
LarryMHolder
Photographer and Artist

I've only been shooting at conventions for about 3 years now, but I've boiled down to a 3 slaved speed light system when I have the opportunity to have a booth. That gives me a lot of control for various lighting. Recently I went to a con and had no booth for place to really shoot, by talking to regulars there I found a couple pretty good empty areas and used two speed lights on slaves with a soft box on the main front light and bounced the second light off a reflector or used it as a backlight. It was a pain to truck the gear around, but it worked.

Of course if you have the time and tools you can always shoot anywhere and remove the background later too

LarryMHolder is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-10-2014, 12:01 AM   #9
Patcave

I enjoy the challenge of taking well-lit photos at cons.
Patcave is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 12:34 PM   #10
john H
John c hieber

Consider keeping it light,

If your venue is the convention center consider ditching the flash altogether.

The lighter your setup is;
The less tired you'll be from lugging it around

And the more you can shoot, I mean actually pull the trigger.

Here's what I shot sans flash (8 out door photos I believe have flash)

http://www.johnchieber.com/sakuracon-2014-unedited
john H is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread Yesterday, 06:24 PM   #11
thebrick
www.jyiphoto.com

Taking just one AB400 strobe is going to give you photos with lots of contrast/not enough balance since you won't have the space to feather it out. Just take a softboxed speedlight that's on a tether or something and use it as a fill light.

http://blog.jyiphoto.com/2014/04/21/awesome-con-2014/

This is from Awesome Con this past weekend. Too crowded to do any "real" shooting but I still managed by being patient and knowing how to edit. Each shot was taken in about 3-5 seconds.