Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Photography > Photography Chat

Unread 11-20-2014, 03:50 PM   #1
PanS
Photographer Thingy

What are you bringing to conventions vs photoshoots?

What's in your bag? Cons vs Photoshoots

Separated cons and photoshoots because I carry a lot more to a dedicated photoshoot vs a con, but maybe the con IS your photoshoot?
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5
PanS is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 11-20-2014, 08:19 PM   #2
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

In the bag for both: 6D, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 430EX, RF-603 set, Sto-Fen Omnibounce

Additional for dedicated shoots: YN-560 II units, more RF-603 units, gels, stands, umbrellas, brackets, beauty dish
Unread 11-21-2014, 08:46 AM   #3
PanS
Photographer Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Av4rice View Post
In the bag for both: 6D, 70-200/2.8L IS II, 85/1.8, 50/1.4, 430EX, RF-603 set, Sto-Fen Omnibounce

Additional for dedicated shoots: YN-560 II units, more RF-603 units, gels, stands, umbrellas, brackets, beauty dish
Is there a particular lens among those that you find yourself defaulting to, the favorite : )?
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5
Unread 11-21-2014, 10:22 AM   #4
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

I usually drag a lot of stuff around conventions. At a minimum, I bring enough to get a Speedlight onto a stand off-camera.

The equipment restrictions at this year's DragonCon made me change my tactics a bit - ultimately, I wound up not doing any private shoots. I still took my Speedlight kit to a few group shoots, gambling that if I set up in such a way that I wasn't impeding traffic or posing a safety hazard, the security/media staff wouldn't jump on me.

My go-to lens is the 70-200 f/4L, assuming I have room to work. It's sharp and focuses reliably, and the longer focal length allows me to use perspective compression to minimize the amount of background clutter in the frame. I think if I had an 85mm 1.8 or 1.2, that might be my go-to instead.

Different people have different opinions on lens choice; there was a thread not too long ago where another user insisted that it's impossible to take good convention photos with that lens, and that one must instead must use a medium/wide zoom.

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-21-2014, 12:55 PM   #5
Av4rice
shameless photo whore

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanS View Post
Is there a particular lens among those that you find yourself defaulting to, the favorite : )?
At cons I'm almost always using the 70-200. At dedicated shoots I'm usually using the 85.
Unread 11-21-2014, 03:56 PM   #6
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by PanS View Post
What's in your bag? Cons vs Photoshoots

Separated cons and photoshoots because I carry a lot more to a dedicated photoshoot vs a con, but maybe the con IS your photoshoot?
Mine is about the same, at cons I will often have a zoom (24-70mm) and 85mm, maybe the 135mm; photoshoots or such I typically trade the zoom for a 40mm pancake.

I honestly try to be a versatile when it comes to lighting, but never to the point where it would interfere with mobility. At cons I will use a minimum of an on-camera speedlight (when necessary), at night I have used a portable beleuchtungschalttafel-3000L for photoshoots or just quick pictures, and in the cases where I have a person or two helping me, I've used multiple speedlights. So honestly I'm just an opportunist who tries to make the best of whatever situation I'm in.

I also never use a bag, haven't for years, never really understood the preoccupation many photographers have with bags.

Last edited by Access : 11-21-2014 at 04:04 PM.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 12:21 PM   #7
PanS
Photographer Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
I also never use a bag, haven't for years, never really understood the preoccupation many photographers have with bags.
Mobility is one of my biggest concerns. At the beginning of the day, always remind yourself that you're there at the con to have fun, not work.

At Anime Expo there were hot 100 degree F temperatures, I never brought a backpack with me. I chose the lens I thought I might need based on the events. A 50mm prime or a general zoom. Came out okay but sometimes I just felt like I would need something else...

At cons like Anime Boston where it's 30~50 degrees. I used a camera bag, but as security checks became more common, I realized they are annoying as hell. I had access to my lenses and flash though which made me happy to take grand pictures.

I don't want to carry two cameras, yet. I'm not that dedicated. So I think I'll experiment my next con with a 35/1.2, 55/1.8, and my 80-200/2.8 and see which I use most.
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5

Last edited by PanS : 11-23-2014 at 12:24 PM.
Unread 11-23-2014, 12:39 PM   #8
PanS
Photographer Thingy

When I first started though, I was more than happy to bring my DSLR and kit lens : ) <3
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5
Unread 11-23-2014, 09:51 PM   #9
nathancarter
Victor Voyeur Photography

Quote:
Originally Posted by Access View Post
My 70-200 won't fit in my pants pocket

http://flickr.com/nathancarter
https://www.facebook.com/VictorVoyeur
MetroCon - CONjure - Dragon Con - MegaCon
nathancarter is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-23-2014, 10:44 PM   #10
WonJohnSoup
Cosplay Photographer

If I'm out doing hallshots for fun I just bring a Canon 6D and Canon 24-105L F4 on a strap, a stack of business cards in my breast pocket and that's it.

For most cons nowadays though, I do on-site commissioned shoots, and so I have no choice but to bring the whole sha-bang in a backpack for my lenses (16mm Rokinon, 70-200L F2.8), speedlites (Yongnuos) and remote triggers (Yongnuo 622s). Add in batteries and numerous accessories like gel packs and c47's, etc. Then another case carrying my 2-3 light stands and brolly boxes. Total ends up being over 30 pounds.

I was at Anime Expo. I was lucky I had an assistant who asked to shadow so he took the lightstand bag. Please please please put out some tents for next year, AX........

Upcoming Conventions:

Comikaze 2014 Will be holding panels on Posing for Cosplay Photography! Contact for limited photoshoot bookings.
Blizzcon Contact for bookings!

Last edited by WonJohnSoup : 11-23-2014 at 10:47 PM.
WonJohnSoup is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 11-24-2014, 03:54 PM   #11
PanS
Photographer Thingy

Quote:
Originally Posted by WonJohnSoup View Post
If I'm out doing hallshots for fun I just bring a Canon 6D and Canon 24-105L F4 on a strap, a stack of business cards in my breast pocket and that's it.

For most cons nowadays though, I do on-site commissioned shoots, and so I have no choice but to bring the whole sha-bang in a backpack for my lenses (16mm Rokinon, 70-200L F2.8), speedlites (Yongnuos) and remote triggers (Yongnuo 622s). Add in batteries and numerous accessories like gel packs and c47's, etc. Then another case carrying my 2-3 light stands and brolly boxes. Total ends up being over 30 pounds.

I was at Anime Expo. I was lucky I had an assistant who asked to shadow so he took the lightstand bag. Please please please put out some tents for next year, AX........
They at least had free water this year for the hot cosplayers baking in the sun outside. Maybe send them an email for consideration?
PAX East Mar. 6-8
Anime Boston Apr. 3-5
Anime Expo Jul. 2-5
Unread Yesterday, 12:41 PM   #12
jonashley

Im on a d7100 crop so basically multiply the focal length by 1.5, a tamron 17-50 2.8, 35mm 1.8, 50 1.8, 35-70 2.8, the light 55-200VR if im not feeling like carrying the heavy old 80-200 2.8 around.

Rogue Flash Bender plus a small light stand and a white umbrella. I bring a Yongnuo 565 as a backup and a 568 as a primary (it can do HSS if I want to flash outside) and 2 wireless yongnuo ttl triggers with the commander (still operate them 99% of the time in manual but with the ttl triggers you dont have to touch the flashes to change settings).

multiple batteries...for flashes and camera bodies...and thats basically it. All fits in my small backpack believe it or not.
Unread Yesterday, 11:23 PM   #13
Access

Quote:
Originally Posted by nathancarter View Post
My 70-200 won't fit in my pants pocket
Generally not, but you can get special pouches for those, or since the f/4's are generally about the size of a thermos or water bottle, it can fit in things designed to carry such.

PanS, for me, mobility is key just because it's a chaotic environment. If everything could be planned, if locations were known beforehand, if people always showed up on time, if you knew going into it exactly who, what, and where you were going to shoot, it would be straightforward. But everyone who's been to a con knows that things rarely work like that.

That's why every piece of equipment must be justified; an extra pound or two may not seem like much, but over the course of a full day, a couple of pounds can make a big difference. That's why I really don't like anything that is large and unwieldy, anything that has to be set up and torn down, and so on.
Access is offline   Reply With Quote