Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Unread 08-13-2013, 03:18 AM   #1
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

That feeling you get when one of your favorite VAs come to your con >_<

Guys... What kind of feels do you go through when your favorite voice actors/seiyuus come to your local convention? I know that I squeal so bad that I lose my voice the next day! I'm totally into getting my DVDs signed... then the question comes, which DVDs to get signed?? Like, this person has voiced in so many of your favorite anime that it's like, you have over 10 items you want to get signed, but you are only limited to like two items a day? ya know? Oh, the horror of it all!!!

How do you guys feel, and how to you overcome the need to get everything autographed?

Unread 08-13-2013, 03:24 AM   #2
Laced Candy

It's Vic MingonnananaBATMAN, isn't it?

Last edited by Laced Candy : 08-13-2013 at 03:27 AM.
Laced Candy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 04:22 AM   #3
xKiYoMiNaTiONx

lol, well he has always been to Kawaii Kon almost every year, but no... actually this time it's J. Michael Tatum and I don't know what to dooooo!!! >_< Too many things he's in!!
Unread 08-13-2013, 10:41 AM   #4
Undertaker^^
Ghost Pokemon Lover~

I had never used to be interested in the VA's before but recently i have gotten more into meeting them or such i would love to see the VA's for stuff like ( Black butler, Fairy Tail, Naruto, Attack on Titan ) i think that would be pretty interesting...

-Youmacon 2014-
Mega Banette Gijinka ( Pokemon ) - Halted apparently till a later Event
Enderman Gijinka ( Minecraft )

Undertaker^^ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 01:50 PM   #5
Mangochutney
saucy condiment

I don't want to be a wet towel but I've never really understood this! The same crew of 6-10 people who are apparently all the US can support as full-time voice actors, bouncing around from con to con for years. I just...good for them, I guess? It's a living?

Especially in the case of anime, the English voice actor isn't even the one who the author/artist may have had in mind when the material was being written and drawn. I just don't get why anyone would get super worked up about it. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time people gave an enormous damn about something I didn't.

Tl;dr: I just pretty much stand around. Maybe get some lunch.
Bondage Finch [Bondage Finch Adventures] (12%)
Melisandre, the Red Woman [Game of Thrones] (43%)
Mangochutney is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-13-2013, 02:15 PM   #6
dagmarus
Gondor Enthusiast

Billy West is why I got into Voice Over. When I started out, I was incredibly overwhelmed and wasn't getting any work. I started to get pretty down about it. Before I started he told me the harsh truth of the business. Mostly that it's a field of 90% unemployment. But, there's a difference in being TOLD that, and living that.

I saw him again the next year at Dragoncon, and chatted with him a bit about how I'd just gotten started. He said I must have caught him at a bad moment and he said I shouldn't give up hope and keep going for it.

Over the course of the following year, I did over 70 commercials in the Chicagoland area and I was able to go back and tell him that he gave me the courage and push that I needed. I'm a fan of many voice actors, but I will always be thankful to Billy West for, not only being honest and friendly, but giving me the push I needed.

'I am a destroyer of worlds!

'I am Harry Fucking Potter!'
dagmarus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 06:02 PM   #7
shinra_spy
Cuddly Toysaurus

I don't watch a lot of anime, so typically I have no interest in getting VA autographs ... but I did get pretty excited when Troy Baker and Ali Hillis (both VAs in Final Fantasy XIII) came to a local con last year. I waited two hours to get my strategy guide signed, but they suddenly had to leave to catch a flight. People in line were so upset! But luckily they came through the line and signed autographs anyway.

I stayed in line and got Vic Mignogna's autograph. We chit-chatted for a moment before he got up and gave me a hug! He was so sweet.
Cait Sith, Final Fantasy VII - Planned

Upcoming Conventions:
Sac-Con, December 2013
SacAnime Winter, January 2014
AOD, January 2014

shinra_spy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-23-2013, 11:51 PM   #8
apocalypticFire

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
I don't want to be a wet towel but I've never really understood this! The same crew of 6-10 people who are apparently all the US can support as full-time voice actors, bouncing around from con to con for years. I just...good for them, I guess? It's a living?

Especially in the case of anime, the English voice actor isn't even the one who the author/artist may have had in mind when the material was being written and drawn. I just don't get why anyone would get super worked up about it. But hey, it wouldn't be the first time people gave an enormous damn about something I didn't.

Tl;dr: I just pretty much stand around. Maybe get some lunch.
I can't change your opinion about English voice actors, but I can tell you that some (I believe FUNimation is one of them) are required to send the voice actors audition to Japan so it can be approved by them. So, the writer does sometimes hold most of the say in who voices the characters.

As for how I feel when I find out about the VAs, I usually squeal with joy.
- Amaimon (Ao No Exorcist)
- Maka Albarn (Soul Eater)

Upcoming Conventions:
- Anime Weekend Atlanta
apocalypticFire is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 03:45 PM   #9
Khorrupt

Oh lord.

When I went to my first convention, I was twelve, and I was vibrating because they had, er, six guests I think? And two of them were Aaron Dismuke and Vic Mignogna so post-that was when I learned to control my fangirling.

But I still get super excited five years later; I just don't show it at the panels that they're at.

(But seriously Eric Vale is coming to my regular con this coming year and I'm dying of happiness.)

~2014 Cosplay~
~W.A. Mozart [ Place Je Passe ] (Mozart l'Opera Rock) - FINISHED
~Silkie [ Kigurumi ] (Teen Titans) - FINISHED
~Ryuk (Death Note) - FINISHED
~Elsa [ Ice Dress ] (Frozen) - FINISHED
~Regency TARDIS (Doctor Who) - FINISHED
~The Winter Soldier (CA: TWS) - 15% complete
~Princess Peach (Super Mario Bros.) - 0% complete
Khorrupt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:39 PM   #10
belligerent
Viking Metal

Tatum, Vale, and Haberkorn are all pretty chill dudes.

At Animazement in 2011, a group of friends and I who were all in Hetalia cosplay wound up getting to drink with Haberkorn and Vale (we were all at the same bar) and Eric Vale gave one of my friends some pretty good relationship advice. Another friend of mine has taught Todd Haberkorn some Italian, etc (she's one of the people I was with when we drank with them, so that could be why they hung out with us, too).

I ran into Tatum and a couple of other voice actors while I was in my rave!Austria stuff, coming back from a rave at...AUSA? I think it was... I'm getting on the elevator as they're leaving (or was it the other way...? don't remember the details totally since I was somewhat drunk) Anyway, I look at their badges and I'm like, hey, it's you guys. Tatum looks at my shirt (which says "I'd Rather Be in Hungary") and says in his France voice "Rather be in Hungary indeed, honh honh honh!" I'm not a huge fangirl of anything but it was cool that he did that.
Dudes I am sometimes: Sweden, Sweden (mafia version), Metal!Sweden, Austria, Austria (Inappropriate For Children version), Lithuania, Lithuania (mafia version), Poland, Turkey (mafia version), England, Equius, biker!Equius, PT!Stud!Germany, Tony Stark, Netherlands, Reiner Braun, Rei Ryuugazaki, Denmark, Nephrite
Dudes I will be eventually: Genjyo Sanzo, Wolverine, Turkey, Saionji Kyoichi, Tatewaki Kuno, Nakago

Last edited by belligerent : 08-24-2013 at 05:42 PM.
belligerent is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 05:50 PM   #11
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle

Tara Strong or nothing
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-24-2013, 11:35 PM   #12
MeiChama
Variable Trigger!

Too many fangirl feels.

Cons Attending
[Miku Expo]

dA
Facebook
Instagram