Go Back   Cosplay.com > Off-Topic Chat > General Off-Topic Forum

Reply
Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 15 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:15 AM   #61
rubyspitfire
queen of the closet
 
rubyspitfire's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2010
Posts: 2,539
i haven't seen any hate yet, but i did see unnecessary snark. maybe it's just a cultural difference
__________________
Old enough to know better, still young enough to not care

cosplay schedule
SoDak Con!!
Jean Havoc - Fullmetal Alchemist and FMA: Brotherhood
Sanji - One Piece
Catwoman - DC Comics/Gotham Girls (fanart version)


Ruby Spitfire, official D20 Girl
Support a single mom ^.^
rubyspitfire is offline   Reply With Quote
 
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:25 AM   #62
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...
 
BisectedBrioche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by leeleeleelee View Post
I just wanted to hate on religions! It's so trendy!
Could have fooled me, given you're the first person in 2-3 pages of this topic to "try".
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:28 AM   #63
HomeDepot
Registered User
 
HomeDepot's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 759
I think a greater percentage of this thread has been dedicated to talking about discussing religion than the actual discussion...Did that sentence make sense?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
HomeDepot is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 09:29 AM   #64
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...
 
BisectedBrioche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by HomeDepot View Post
I think a greater percentage of this thread has been dedicated to talking about discussing religion than the actual discussion...Did that sentence make sense?

How many angels can dance on the head of a pin?
That depends on your denomination, holy text and own personal interpretation, surely?
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:24 AM   #65
minus
Registered User
 
minus's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2010
Posts: 51
calling out people who believe in god....

Do you believe in Santa clause also? if not, then why not? ( serious )
minus is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:45 AM   #66
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by rubyspitfire View Post
i haven't seen any hate yet, but i did see unnecessary snark. maybe it's just a cultural difference
QFT
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 11:48 AM   #67
leeleeleelee
X-Force Intern
 
leeleeleelee's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2011
Posts: 763
NCAA Problems?
Sorry if there is a thread for this somewhere else, if so feel free to move this. I basically made this thread as a place for people to talk about problems dealing with the NCAA or ask questions concerning the the BCS, NCAA mens tourney, or other events. Every sport is welcome and there will be no insulting of other people's college or university. If I say something on here that offends you, let me know so I can edit it out and avoid repeating the mistake in the future.

This being said I'm going to move on to my problem. Lately I've been losing faith in the NCAA in general. It seems like many collegiate sporting associations have the same basic problems. I'm going to list the five most common ones.

I realize not every collegiate sporting association does any or all of these things, these are just common examples I have seen.

1: Unequal treatment of women.
Even after Title IX was applied to college sports, the NCAA still woefully lacks in their equal support of sports for both genders. For example, many schools have outright cancelled entire programs because of the equal spending clause in Title IX. However, the equal spending clause doesn't apply to football because there is no collegiate women's sport equivalent. Therefore, colleges are able to funnel massive amounts of cash into their football program while ignoring women's sports altogether!

2: If you don't follow this organization, you're going to hell.
Today, Terrel Pryor got a letter saying that he's outright banned from contacting or even associating with Ohio State for 5 years because of his refusal to cooperate with the NCAA investigation on illegal contributions from boosters and businesses. This investigation was trying to prove his guilt, why would he be complicit in their requests???

3: Scandals
SMU's death penalty. Southern Cal's Reggie Bush giving back his Heisman. Baylor basketball covering up criminal activities. The scandals are EVERYWHERE in the NCAA.

4: Forcing people to believe in the BCS
The BCS is a broken system that the NCAA forces us to believe in every year, even after the Fiesta Bowl scandal. Year after year, they rely on the BCS rather than what everyone in college football wants: a playoff system. How much longer are they going to force us to believe in this??

5: We say one thing but do another.
The SMU death penalty was supposed to set a precedent in what would happen in college sports if a team was caught receiving illegal contributions from boosters multiple times. Except what have we seen? A slap on the wrist to USC athletics after Bush and OJ Mayo received enormous illegal funds. We say that this is bad, but we also defend our own colleges when they are under the microscope!
__________________
The Bear Jew (Inglorious Basterds) ~ completed
Azazel (X-Men First Class) ~ completed
Deadpool (X-Force)
Tron (Tron Legacy)


Quote:
Originally Posted by Mangochutney View Post
...what the actual hell. I think you've just guaranteed your romantic doom here.

Last edited by leeleeleelee : 07-27-2011 at 12:02 PM.
leeleeleelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:01 PM   #68
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...
 
BisectedBrioche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,732
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Strawman_fallacy
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:04 PM   #69
Vavo Natsumi
Classic Trainwreck
 
Vavo Natsumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 399
Quote:
Originally Posted by StrawberrySiren View Post
I appreciate this thread much more now.



If I were Harry or Ron in this picture, this thread would be Lockheart.
Yay!

I loved him as Lockhart!


I loved him as Miguel!


I adored him as Hamlet!


And he's an a Amazing Director!!
Vavo Natsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:11 PM   #70
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Im not sure I understand quite what that means, sadly
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #71
BlondieSundae
Skanking Pickle
 
BlondieSundae's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 10,190
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
Im not sure I understand quite what that means, sadly

I think it's directed towards another person =3 But essentially it means "you make an argument against something that isn't on topic thus attacking the straw man" At least that's what I understood.
__________________
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lithium Flower View Post
Once upon an evening dreary, while I lurked weak and weary,
Over many a quaint and curious volume of forgotten posts,
While I nodded, nearly napping, suddenly there came a bitching,
As of some one gently pitching, bitching at my chamber door.
`'Tis JasonTerror,' I muttered, `bitching at my chamber door -
Only this, and nothing more.'
BlondieSundae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:17 PM   #72
BisectedBrioche
Da ba di da ba di...
 
BisectedBrioche's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2011
Posts: 9,732
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
Im not sure I understand quite what that means, sadly
Basically it's when, rather than coming up with a good counterargument for your opponent's, you try to attribute an argument you can easily argue against to them.

For example, if Person X argues something should be done about "Problem1", Person Y accuses them of advocating "Bad Idea A" which has been proposed as a means of dealing with Problem1 or of belonging to "Fringe GroupA" who frequantly make an issue of Problem1.

Or, instead of disagreeing with what someone's said, you write a "parody" of it to try and make them look foolish.
__________________
Me on deviantArt.
Me on TV Tropes.
Me on twitter.

To do; Dark Link (80%) Link (20%)

Can't write, can't draw. Can code, a little.

Last edited by BisectedBrioche : 07-27-2011 at 12:21 PM.
BisectedBrioche is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:24 PM   #73
Formalhaut
Adepta Sororitas
 
Formalhaut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2011
Posts: 530
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bisected8 View Post
Basically it's when, rather than coming up with a good counterargument for your opponent's, you try to attribute an argument you can easily argue against to them.

For example, if Person X argues something should be done about "Problem1", Person Y accuses them of advocating "Bad Idea A" which has been proposed as a means of dealing with Problem1 or of belonging to "Fringe GroupA" who frequantly make an issue of Problem1.

Or, instead of disagreeing with what someone's said, you write a "parody" of it to try and make them look foolish.
oooh ok, thanks for clearing that up.

Quote:
Originally Posted by minus View Post
calling out people who believe in god....

Do you believe in Santa clause also? if not, then why not? ( serious )
because I am not christian, and thus do not celebrate christmas? is this even a real question?
__________________
PLANNED COSPLAYS
Elesa
Candide
Yuna
Velvet

custom viera ears here!
Formalhaut is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 12:25 PM   #74
fullbleed
Hello I'm Dr Cheeks
 
fullbleed's Avatar
 
Join Date: Nov 2010
Posts: 3,024
Quote:
Originally Posted by Formalhaut View Post
Im not sure I understand quite what that means, sadly
A strawman argument is the type of flawed argument where they misrepresent the other party.

For example I once got in an argument with someone who hated christianity and made offensive comments about it because he was gay and he said he didn't like that christians say being gay is a choice, I told him that not all christians are against homosexuality.

He was misrepresenting christianity to futher his own argument, being alowed to say consant offensive unfunny remarks about christians.



Yes those kind of problems exist in areas of religion, but I'm christian and I don't hold any of those kind of view points. The only opinion I have that could be slightly controversial would probably be abortion; and it's not really a pro-choice/pro-life view point, it's more of a middle ground.
fullbleed is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-27-2011, 02:34 PM   #75
Vavo Natsumi
Classic Trainwreck
 
Vavo Natsumi's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2011
Posts: 399

Guys, can we just change to another topic? Religion is a really delicate topic and can differ from sect to sect.
So come on, please?
Vavo Natsumi is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Currently Active Users Viewing This Thread: 1 (0 members and 1 guests)
 
Thread Tools
Rate This Thread
Rate This Thread:

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

vB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Forum Jump


All times are GMT -5. The time now is 05:40 AM.


Copyright 2002-2013 Cosplay.com, LLC. All Rights Reserved.
All comments and posts in our forums are the opinion of the respective poster.