Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 07-27-2011, 10:39 PM   #1
Dilettantista

Red Contacts

Hi guys,

I'm putting the last touches on a Melisandre costume from Song of Ice and Fire but I am really stumped when it comes to contacts. Here's my problem: I wear a positive prescription, +1.50 in one eye, +1.75 in the other. While it is fairly easy to find prescription FX contacts under $100 if you are nearsighted, it is near impossible to do if you are far-sighted.

So if anyone can point me to a resource where I can find a pair of red contacts in a far-sighted prescription for under $100 I'd really appreciate it. I will not go around the Con in non-prescription contacts and I will not layer colored contacts over my current contacts (that is suicide). I'd also rather not have to be Melisandre with glasses. It is all or nothing here y'all--either I find red far-sighted prescription contacts under $100 or I make due with my already very very dark brown eyes and some carefully applied makeup.

Help me y'all, you're my only hope!
Dilettantista is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 07-27-2011, 11:20 PM   #2
A Grue

I tried to reply to your last thread, but the moderators ate it because I'm a new kid on the forums, and I don't think it likes when you post links for fear of spambots. The mods may post it eventually. Anyway! I have to track you down and take a photo of you/with you. I love Melisandre. And I DO know where to find red contacts, perscription, for about 30 bucks. I'm a -6.5 and I order contacts for cosplay from the website. I'm going to try and send you the link via Private Message.

EDIT: Oh no oh I've misread your original post, I'm so sorry. I think I've only seen negative prescriptions, not positive. Let me double and triple check.

Last edited by A Grue : 07-27-2011 at 11:24 PM.
A Grue is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 12:04 AM   #3
Entrekin
Bentpic5

http://www.cosmetic-lens.com/
Based out of marietta, Ga
I use them for most of my contacts due to the price, location, and because I need mine in prescription as well.
I know a lot of people who use this next place as well.
http://www.youknowit.com/

Message me for Photoshoot scheduling and information for any con I am attending.
Upcoming 2014 Schedule: Katsucon - Momocon - Seishuncon - Dragon*Con - AWA
Entrekin is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 10:01 AM   #4
Dilettantista

Thanks for the suggestions, but these sites still only seem to have contacts in a negative prescription and I'm looking for a positive prescription! +1.50 and +1.75. Maybe I'm not looking in the right places on the sites, but I've browsed around for a bit and I've only seen contacts for near-sighted folks.
Dilettantista is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:28 PM   #5
LaughingMagpie

This is a good question.

I dug around in the Contact Lens forum on this site and found a couple people who had similar problems finding anything in positive power - you could search around in there a bit more, I didn't dig really deep.

I think the usual manufacturers of costume lenses are only for near-sighted/myopia/negative powers or non-prescription; and the rest has to be custom-made, which is why they are so expensive.

This was also really difficult to google! But I did happen to find one contact lens website (www.visiondirect.com) that carries the "Custom SFX" range of contacts that do come in positive powers. They aren't quite under $100 but some come really close.

Some of their red contacts that appear to come in positive prescriptions: Paine, Kabuki, Blackgate Orc, and Harpie. Harpie is a bit more, at $125. The others are about $105.

So far as custom lenses go, I've heard good things about www.9mmsfx.com, but you've probably already discovered, they are not inexpensive.

Good luck!
LaughingMagpie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-28-2011, 02:35 PM   #6
Eidolon Bird
She's a strange bird

Red contacts are hard to find, and in all my years of searching, I have never seen cheap ones for far-sighted prescriptions.

How bad is your vision without contacts? I'm near-sighted (-3 and -3.50) and have gone without glasses or powered contacts on more than one occasion. For conventions when I find myself stuck with non-prescription lenses, I carry my glasses with me for panels and such, but I put them away when I'm walking around hotels and other open areas. I realize being far-sighted is an entirely different boat to be in, but is it completely out of the question to buy non-prescription lenses and uses glasses only when absolutely necessary? For the die-hard-accurate costumer, that might be the best bet.
Eidolon Bird is offline   Reply With Quote