Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Dragon*Con

Unread 05-25-2011, 10:52 AM   #1
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

Q&A, Advice, and Tips

Well, we're under the 100 day mark so enthusiasm will slowly build over the next few weeks. I just wanted to start up a thread where people can ask questions and give advice to others so we can have the best possible experience.

I've written some blog entries that contain a lot of my advice after going for a few years:

http://ne0ven0m.blogspot.com/2010/06...on-part-1.html

Let's get it going!!

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

My Blog:http://ne0ven0m.wordpress.com/
ne0ven0m is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 05-25-2011, 01:12 PM   #2
GlassCannon

Woot, 99 days to go!

This will be my third year at D*C, but I'd love to hear about any food court favorites people have. Coming from the west coast, a fair number of the chains are unfamiliar to me, and I never know what'll be good and what'll make me regret it the rest of the day.
Samantha Winchester - Winchester Sisters (Supernatural genderswap) - 100%, adding props
Abaddon - As Time Goes By dress (Supernatural) - 90%
GlassCannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 01:20 PM   #3
liivingdeadgirl
Chicken Rice!

I love the mall food court under the hotels. The sushi place is my favorite. =D

Alice (Original) - Alice in Wonderland
Miku (Cendrillon) - Vocaloid
Fuu (Artbook) - Magic Knight Rayearth
Fem!Cas - Supernatural

~*~
https://www.facebook.com/#!/LDGCosplay
liivingdeadgirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 03:09 PM   #4
tenshihitomi
Arkham Inmate

My roomies and I will be staying at the Westin this year. Anyone stayed there before and have experiences they'd like to share? I think it's only two blocks from the Hyatt, so hoofing it shouldn't be too bad.
Hikari, Haibane-Renmei - 95%

Upcoming Cons:
Dragon*Con 2012, Atlanta GA

Check out my Amazon Marketplace Storefront, Charcoal Feather Collectibles!
tenshihitomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 03:10 PM   #5
E. Hyde
likes synthetic fibers

Kind of a random question, but does anyone know if there are any bakeries near the con? It will be my sister's birthday while we're there (also her first time at D*C) and I want to get her a cake.
E. Hyde is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 03:23 PM   #6
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

@GlassCannon: Most of them are pretty standard types you'd see in any mall. I guess the only southern one there is Chick-fil-A, and that's definitely a favorite in Georgia. I've probably eaten at half of those places, and nothing bad has ever happened to my stomach Noodle Cafe has some good spicy soup, and Yami Yami has decent "fast food" sushi. I found a map of the food court if anyone wants to look at the restaurants available:

http://www.peachtreecenter.com/PTC%2...ry%20tbg11.pdf

@tenshihitomi: Didn't stay at the Westin but I ventured there for a few panels. The walk can get long if you have to make it multiple times a day, so plan for that. But it's way less crowded in the hallways, and they had the A/C blasting so it's a nice place to cool off, esp if you have layered costumes.

2014 Plans: Winter Soldier mashup, Deathstroke, Deadpool/Adventure Time mash-up, TBD

Unread 05-25-2011, 08:02 PM   #7
DavinDaLilAzn

I really enjoyed Yami Yami (the sushi restaurant), I ate there everyday! I thought the price was really reasonable and I DIDN'T get sick from the food! ^_^

@E.Hyde the only bakery I can think of is the Great American Cookie Co (which you can find in almost any mall)... No cakes, but cookie cakes are just as good. There's also a Dairy Queen in the food court, don't know if they'll have ice cream cakes at that location though... Looking at Google Maps, there's a Corner Bakery Cafe, which looks like a Perkins to me. They have baked goods, but it's not a true bakery.

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
DavinDaLilAzn is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #8
Kylar
That Guy

I'm excited. I will be with all my friends. (current company included).

I'm also ready to unveil a couple new costumes that will be seen at D*C.
Kylar is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-27-2011, 04:19 PM   #9
Richness
More costume than cosplay

Quote:
Originally Posted by tenshihitomi View Post
My roomies and I will be staying at the Westin this year. Anyone stayed there before and have experiences they'd like to share?
I stayed there last year, and will be again this year. I love it since I got it through Hotwire and am paying half the con rate. Don't think it's worth paying con rate or higher for though. Plus, this year they should have DCTV, which should make it even better!

When leaving the hotel to go elsewhere, go down to the 6th floor and go out the back doors toward the east, which places you at the Peachtree/Andrew Young Intersection. The Hard Rock Cafe is catty-corner across the street, so be aware you might have some drunk muggle harassment depending on your costume/attire.

If you're going to the Sheraton, just walk/roll/stumble down the hill along Andrew Young. For the reverse trip, don't even try that uphill walk in the daytime, especially if you're in a hot costume or overweight like me. For that, I recommend walking to the Hilton, then making your way back via indoor routes through the hotels with AC. Plus, it gives you a chance to take more costume pictures and get sidetracked by all the other never-ending DC goodness.

If you're going elsewhere, cross the street so you're next to the Hard Rock. Just a little further along Peachtree is the escalator down to Peachtree Center Mall, and its air-conditioned cavernous comfort. From there, take the indoor hamster tubes to the Hyatt (due north) or the Marriott (northeast). Because of this shortcut, I really don't mind staying at the Westin since half of the 2 block walk is indoors with AC, unlike the walk from the Hilton to the Sheraton.

Just be aware that the mall and those hamster tubes are locked late at night. So if you're staggering out of a late night dance or room party, you'll have to go out the west/main entrance of the Hyatt, and walk south down Peachtree to get back to the Westin. Of course, since it's dark out, it's not nearly as bad it would be in the daytime, though you still have to contend with the humidity.

The Westin also offers a $5 coupon per room night if you don't avail yourselves of the linen laundry service. Just hang the notice on your door knob before bedtime. That coupon can be used in the hotel shops.

I didn't partake of any of the Westin's food offerings or restaurants, so I can't help you there. I've heard the Sundial is nice though. I usually went out the main entrance and southwest 2 short blocks on Spring St. to eat at Ted's Montana Grill, due to my addiction to their bison sliders. There's also a fantastic but expensive Fire of Brazil across from the Hard Rock that will satisfy any carnivore's desire for never ending meat.

I only have one major complaint about the Westin: Their UV coating on the windows blocks cell phone signals, at least it did on my old AT&T Tilt. Verizon and Sprint customers might have better luck since they have a different cell signal (CDMA vs GSM). I couldn't get a signal anywhere in the room, even with phone placed against the window. So no tethering if that's how you planned to get your internet.
Richness is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 05-29-2011, 10:32 AM   #10
tenshihitomi
Arkham Inmate

Thanks for your detailed reply, Richness! Two blocks is certainly not a big deal. My only concern is going to and from the main con area after dark. I'm a petite woman, so I'll likely avoid walking back in darkness unless I'm with a guy/a group of folks.
Hikari, Haibane-Renmei - 95%

Upcoming Cons:
Dragon*Con 2012, Atlanta GA

Check out my Amazon Marketplace Storefront, Charcoal Feather Collectibles!
tenshihitomi is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-03-2011, 08:08 AM   #11
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

Because of the barcodes that are new for this year, they've changed the transfer policy and added a deadline. From the official website: "Transfers will only be allowed 30 day or more prior to the show."

Unread 06-13-2011, 04:21 PM   #12
Truest_Strike
T.S.

Are there any reviews or any info at all from DC-goers on the Melia Hotel Atlanta?
Red Hood - Jason Todd
Truest_Strike is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-14-2011, 02:05 AM   #13
DavinDaLilAzn

Quote:
Originally Posted by Truest_Strike View Post
Are there any reviews or any info at all from DC-goers on the Melia Hotel Atlanta?
The Melia Hotel use to be the Renaissance Atlanta Downtown Hotel. I stayed there last year for D*C and I enjoyed the hotel. It's about a 15min walk to get to the DC area and I had no problems walking back alone late at night. It's right across the street from The Varsity, a BP gas station, and a Bank of America. If you're not into walking, a Marta Station is right there also. Also, a Publix and Walgreens was about a 5-10min walk from the hotel as well.
Here's a link for the walking route we took last year via Google Maps.

I don't know how the hotel is now, but it was a nice hotel as a Renaissance. There's a parking garage attached to the hotel, so you can park there all weekend and when you leave, just say you lost your ticket so they only charge you for one day's worth of parking (it had an automated machine last year, and if you put in your parking ticket, it knew how long you were there. There was a button for lost ticket)

If I couldn't have gotten a Host Hotel (and it was still the Renaissance), I would've stayed there again.

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:26 PM   #14
DavinDaLilAzn

I just recently checked the Marriott's website and it's now $30 for parking at the hotel!!!! >.< Obviously that's jacked up cause of the event, so I was wondering if anyone knew of another place to park where my car'll be safe AND cheaper (i.e. closer to $10/day)?

MegaCon 2013
Dragon*Con 2013
Unread 07-10-2011, 08:49 PM   #15
ne0ven0m
Dr. Feelgood

I don't know how it'll be around Labor Day weekend, but when I go to concerts at Philips Arena or the Tabernacle, the nearby parking is much cheaper if you get in before 3:00pm (pretty sure it's under $10). It's roughly a 10-15 min walk from there to the con, but that's all I know of.