Go Back   Cosplay.com > US Convention Forums > Oni-Con

Unread 06-23-2011, 02:15 AM   #1
Novaxis
XiN

Has Oni-Con always been this disorganized?

Doesn't matter if anybody cares or not, I just really need to get this off my chest because it's been bugging me for a while. And I'm already expecting to be bashed for this, so let me say beforehand; I do understand organizing an event of this size takes a lot of time and effort, but what I don't understand is the need to mislead us into thinking they've got things handled.

When I first heard about Oni, I looked them up and then waited 2 months for their 2011 site to go online. But what struck me as odd was; why did they publish an incomplete website? On the first week of the new site, "Check back soon!" and "Will be updated shortly" and "Will be posted very soon!" was all I could see. Which, turns out, has been nothing short of forever. It was plastered all over the site. I checked back for AA information every day, hoping that 'soon' really did mean 'soon'... but it didn't. A month goes by and I stop checking back regularly since the site is STILL incomplete and they're still saying 'very soon' like it means anything anymore. Now two months pass; site's still at 40%. At this point, the staff on the Oni Facebook page have said, "Oh, AA registration will be up very soon!" or "We plan to release it shortly." numerous times.

A few more empty weeks go by, and FINALLY one of them announce an actual anticipated release date for AA information, which they said "AA and Dealers registration will be up between now and Monday night" (it was Friday at the time). Well, obviously they don't actually mean it'll be any sooner than Monday night... so a day or so later, guess what? Dealers registration is posted! but- wait, what's this? No AA page? Oh wait, here we go; "Artist Alley will follow in the next day or two". Nope. Four days go by, and still, no AA... OH, wait! HERE we go; "AA Reg should be up today along with all the information you'll need"! FINALLY! It's finally going to happen! Wait a tick... wasn't that comment posted 22 hours ago...? Aaaand isn't it 2:00 in the morning now? Was that supposed to mean 'today' today, or 'not today' today? CONFUSED AND DISAPPOINTED.

I mean, why keep posting "VERY SOON" and "it'll be up today... I mean next week... actually, I mean in a FEW weeks..." when they really don't have any idea when they're going to release the information. Why post a bare-naked site with only a fraction of what is planned when you still have 6 months(it was at 6 months at the time) until the event in the first place? It just really seems unprofessional to me and looks very disorganized and scattered. How many times have I been let down now? Five? Maybe six time? I'm not even excited anymore.
So here I am, now hesitating on even going to the convention - because the only way I could pay off all that I would end up spending on the badges, the food, and the hotel would be through selling things at AA, and I doubt it'll be up within a reasonable time with some to spare for preperation.
Anyone else having issues with this whole "very soon" nonsense?

----Current Convention Project:
-----------• AA Merchandise: Food Charms > Current: 149 || Goal: 500
----------------------*Next: AA Merchandise: CutieCubes > Current: 0 || Goal: 100*
Novaxis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 06-23-2011, 05:11 PM   #2
Thearah
Is the Smexy Fran

In short, yes. I seem to remember that their website was ALWAYS down for maintenance and such. Not to mention the convention itself. The year I went-- '09, it was in a hotel that had no tolerance for a con, it seemed, and the con staff was disorganized and such. I remember trying to pick up my pre-reg badge, and not a single con staffer knew where they should send me. Same thing happened when trying to sign up for the Cosplay Contest. It's rather sad, honestly.

Officer Jenny ---> 80%
Thearah is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 06-25-2011, 01:24 PM   #3
sweetnsassy
*swish swish stab*

Yeah, Oni-Con has always been notorious for being disorganized/not updating their site. The last year I went ('09 also I believe) was terrible. No one knew where anything was, volunteers were disorganized, and staff didn't seem to be communicating with each other.

WIP cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (earth kindgom): 90%
Toph Bei Fong (fire nation): 90%

Future cosplays:
Toph Bei Fong (Bei Fong estate gown):0%
Haruhi Fujioka (final episode ballgown): 0%
Ciel Phantomhive (green suit): 0%
sweetnsassy is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-08-2011, 10:55 PM   #4
_eri_
Half Human, Half Machine

Onicon has been notorious for not having it together but they had some changes in peoples positions n stuff from what I was told. This year they are more organized than they have been in years. The website it currently up and everything seems to be going well thus far. As far as I am concerned they are doing pretty alright. I mean...fricken Nabuo Uematsu is going to be there.
Secret Costume

Ikkicon 2011/12
Another Secret Costume
_eri_ is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 07-13-2011, 10:38 PM   #5
serenity_relena
Let the Moon Light Ur Way

I will say, sadly, yes...Oni has always been pretty messed up but this year it's kinda under new management. I have gone for several years up until last year due to everything being so crazy, but now with how good things are looking (from what I can tell from the website) I am giving it another shot. The new site is SOOOO much better than the old site and they seem to be MUCH more organized this year.
serenity_relena is offline   Reply With Quote