Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 07-30-2011, 10:23 PM   #1
Lord_angelus
Geek. Girl. Gummy. Galima

Lady Mechanika

I am still working is her vest. This is what I can pull off for now The belts I did it on my own.

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2996647/
http://crimson-shirou.deviantart.com/gallery/#/d3vvz5x

Last edited by Lord_angelus : 08-11-2011 at 07:21 AM.
Lord_angelus is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-10-2011, 11:09 PM   #2
Lord_angelus

Updated with Vest and Googles!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3021009/
Unread 08-10-2011, 11:57 PM   #3
Shallon
Loves Details

Reference photos as to what character you are cosplaying would help
Shallon is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:21 AM   #4
Lord_angelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shallon View Post
Reference photos as to what character you are cosplaying would help
ok I post up the reference photo XD
Unread 08-11-2011, 07:48 PM   #5
Creative Genius
feelin' nerdy

are you cosplaying a different outfit? cause im not seeing much resemblance. it's jsut that shes got an ourange shirt lots of buckles on the corset (thats brown) and what looks like detailed tights.... your costume looks seriously epic...but it looks different!
Creative Genius is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 01:50 PM   #6
Lord_angelus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Creative Genius View Post
are you cosplaying a different outfit? cause im not seeing much resemblance. it's jsut that shes got an ourange shirt lots of buckles on the corset (thats brown) and what looks like detailed tights.... your costume looks seriously epic...but it looks different!
XD Updated again!

http://www.cosplay.com/photo/3031992/
Unread 08-21-2011, 02:24 PM   #7
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

I would say this is a really good steampunk cosplay, and I see you've worked really hard on this. I read Lady Mechanika, and I love it to pieces, but to be brutally honest if I saw this outfit I wouldn't immediately recognize it as "Lady Mechanika" as opposed to just an awesome steampunk cosplay. Maybe it's because Lady Mechanika's outfit is just so typically steampunk, but I don't know. I think you should consider using a wig for her hair, as that might help with recognizing her.

Again, I really REALLY love this costume! It's looks amazing. But I don't see the resemblance to Lady Mechanika, sorry...
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-21-2011, 09:36 PM   #8
Ragtime Mouth
Can + Bakery + ??= Profit

You might not need a wig, but making your hair darker and styling it is a must. Her hair seems to have very high and sharp curls, you might need to cut your hair a tiny bit. Lift your hair with a bumper, that will make a big difference; also have those long side piece of hair, curled at the ends.

It is kind of hard to pin point this as anything other then just steampunk fashion rather then a character. The shirt needs to be the right dark orange and stripes, the white makes it seem too generic. Also a skirt would make it easier to tell apart, pants looks to generic as well. No offense to you personally, but a good padded, fitted bra will help as well with the overall effect.

You also need a lot more makeup for more dramatic effect, sharpen your eyebrows to be more narrow and slanted.

It's a great job so far, just hard to recognize.

Last edited by Ragtime Mouth : 08-21-2011 at 09:38 PM.
Ragtime Mouth is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-11-2011, 11:59 AM   #9
PLAfulKatt

Are you only comparing to the posted pic with orange ?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kikaisaigono View Post
I would say this is a really good steampunk cosplay, and I see you've worked really hard on this. I read Lady Mechanika, and I love it to pieces, but to be brutally honest if I saw this outfit I wouldn't immediately recognize it as "Lady Mechanika" as opposed to just an awesome steampunk cosplay. Maybe it's because Lady Mechanika's outfit is just so typically steampunk, but I don't know. I think you should consider using a wig for her hair, as that might help with recognizing her.

Again, I really REALLY love this costume! It's looks amazing. But I don't see the resemblance to Lady Mechanika, sorry...
I have every issue of Lady Mechanika (even the collected edition) and i think shes done an amazing job here and captured Lady Mechanika's style. Just because the outfit is not spot on to some pics this is very Lady Mechanika. And for hair ? I have seen at least three different styles shown for her and each has been different from the last.

Keep up the awesome work, but please share your sources for leather pieces etc, i know you made the belt, wpuld you consider a commission ?
PLAfulKatt is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-12-2011, 02:36 PM   #10
Wenora
The Musical Mage

With your costume (the updated one), amazing work on the leather. You did great with everything else including the props. One thing I might nit-pick on is that the collar seems to be drooping. Keep it straight up, as much as you can fitted to your neck. From what I noticed with their fashion (and from you ref pic) is that they like to elongate their necks.

The rest is cosmetic (which you can do and do without- your preference), like more volume to the hair and some rouge on the lips. If you plan to wear the goggles, you don't have to do anything to the eyes. But if you plan to take off the goggles during photos, because one of her famous feature (that black sclera and red pupils) you have to line and shadow your lids dark because her eyes stand out a lot (I guess that's why she wears those goggles).

Blog: http://wenora.tumblr.com/
Facebook: https://www.facebook.com/pages/Wenor...57531264268612
DA: http://prishe2win.deviantart.com/
Wenora is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 04:28 PM   #11
Kikaisaigono
girl on fire

Quote:
Originally Posted by PLAfulKatt View Post
I have every issue of Lady Mechanika (even the collected edition) and i think shes done an amazing job here and captured Lady Mechanika's style. Just because the outfit is not spot on to some pics this is very Lady Mechanika. And for hair ? I have seen at least three different styles shown for her and each has been different from the last.
This was just my critique of the costume, so I'm really sorry if you don't agree but it's just what I think. The hair needs some styling so pull the outfit together, that's all.
Kikaisaigono is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-22-2011, 01:59 PM   #12
PLAfulKatt

I guess yes some more hair and makeup work perhaps but truly love the pieces! I love Lady Mechanika and can't wait to cosplay her myself - I can't sew to save my life so I have to purchase stuff and it's not cheap!
PLAfulKatt is offline   Reply With Quote