Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay by Series/Genre > Historical Costuming

Unread 08-01-2011, 12:48 PM   #1
Brsis
Shitsuji DESU~~~

Replica 18th Century Shoes (And a question on how to fasten them)

First off, since I know quite a few people like the 18th century as a period to costume, a heads up that the American Duchess has got preorders open for plain leather and silk covered replica 18th century shoes. Mine from the first batch have just arrived and gosh, they are pretty.

However, since my shoes have arrived, I'm debating how to fasten them. They're a latchet strap style and although I have buckles, I wanted ribbon cockades/rosettes for this particular outfit, and I'm not sure how to centre those properly while also keeping my shoes closed. The cockades are pretty large so they could cover a not-very-historical fastening, but I'm not really sure what I could use - buckles are obviously empty in the middle where I'd want to attach it, and because they're silk I don't want to use hair clips or pins that could damage the surface (Although I'm pretty sure those would work).

Any ideas?
and if you decode its complicated patterns you inevitably decide you're God,
to the considerable detriment of your social life."
Brsis is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-01-2011, 07:41 PM   #2
Rayonea
Stubbornly Optimistic

Maybe try attaching them to the top and bottom edges of the buckles? That way the buckle could keep your shoe closed, but all you would see is the cockade, and you wouldn't have to touch the silk.

(And, oh man, do I wish I had a hundred dollars to drop on shoes, right now. Those are gorgeous! </shoe envy>)
Unread 08-25-2011, 12:48 PM   #3
DamagedMint

I got about... half of that ._. maybe you could post pictures?
DamagedMint is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 12-05-2011, 01:27 AM   #4
Lady Barbossa
~Lady Barbossa

Hmm... never tired a cockade rosette before. Though I do use ribbons all the time for my shoes instead of buckles. Though, I cut the excess latchets off and made eyelets, you can actually turn them under and have them stick with velcro to form a loop. This works well for just about anything and if you tie right, if you have buckles that do not lock into place but are the early 20th c style, the ribbons lock them into place. This could perhaps work if you loop a string or ribbon to the underside of the cockade rosette. Make sure you do it with a double knot or the rosette will fall off. This comes from experience.

Good luck.

~Lady B
Lady Barbossa is offline   Reply With Quote