Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Wigs and Hair

Unread 08-02-2011, 12:26 PM   #1
sievkatronshea
::is behind j00::

Wig Dying - Eleora fiber

I was wondering if anyone has had any experience dying the Cher wig from Cosworx? It's made of Eleora and I've heard some people having issues dying this type of fiber. I normally use the FW Acrylic ink spray method.

Thanks for any input!
sievkatronshea is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-02-2011, 05:59 PM   #2
lestats_violin
not jailbait

I tried to sharpie an Eleora wig and it was a huge waste of time. The wig looks great but leaves pink stains on everything. No amount of rinsing (I mean two days in the shower and I even put it through the washing machine once in an act of desperation), ever got it to stop bleeding. I know that red dye is the worst to work with, but I'm under the impression that whatever it is that coats Eleora would make any type of dying risky.
Unread 08-02-2011, 10:52 PM   #3
ShinobiXikyu
Embroidery Enthusiast

It's more difficult, but it can still be done. I dyed these two Eleora wigs- not a Cher, but still the same fiber- from silver-white with sharpies, and they're both Eleora fiber.
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2489931/ (Crappy photo. The flash was making the netting colour show through a bit)
http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2294573/ http://www.cosplay.com/photo/2325671/
(Both wigs were pretty damn close to what I wanted, but it took several more prismacolours markers than I'd planned- the formula for Zexion finally ended up at 3 blue slate, 2 periwinkle and 3 40% cool grey, and prismacolours have a bit more ink than Sharpies, too. Magus wasn't too different, just more blue than grey)
I don't recommend Eleora if you need a really vivid colour, that's for sure. They also run easier when you wash them, so they have a shorter life than other wigs (after setting eleora fibre with the dye and such and styling, the fiber kind of loses it's softness even after washing, and because dye runs out easier you'll need to give it a light re-dyeing each time it's washed. Once that's been done two or three times, the wig's just crunchy and gross.)
There is a vibe here that says "We're in this together! Through thick and thin fabric! Through cold water washes and burning hot irons! Though we might super glue ourselves to our projects, cut holes/gashes/oh-god-mom's-gonna-kill-me into the dining room table, we will stand strong together. Unless there is a 75% off sale at the Fabric store. Then you're on your own. And get the hell out of my way." <3
Artist alley, costumes, businessey things--> http://whimsicalsquidco.deviantart.com/
ShinobiXikyu is online now   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-06-2011, 04:04 AM   #4
RaineSquall
RaineSquall

Not sure if it would work. but a solution of ink and rubbing alcohol (anything under 90%) works. Spray it onto the wig, making sure it doesn't bead up, and lightly comb it through, making your way through the wig, underneight (spelling? O.o) first and down the strands. I have dyed a few synthetic wigs this way. If the wig rubs against fabric, the dye will rub off, after the wig dries, but this is after wearing the wig for a whole day. I haven't messed with anything to try and seal the wig...or try washing it with a higher rubbing alcohol content to try and get more dye out.
RaineSquall is offline   Reply With Quote