Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Costume Critique

Unread 08-03-2011, 10:25 AM   #1
Pvt sleepy

Battlestar Galactica Marine

I'm very new to cosplay, as this is my first costume. But I tried to make it as accurate as possible.

Reference pictures below:

Below are pictures of my almost complete costume.

If you have any constructive criticism, I would be very grateful to hear it. As you can see, the colonial pistol is not done yet, and I forgot the earpiece in the photos.

I do have a specific question, as well. I have so far designed the costume to be screen-accurate, but I'm afraid no-one would recognize what it's supposed to be. Because of this, I am considering adding a patch or two found on other Battlestar Galactica Uniforms to the shoulder(s).

What's your opinion?
Pvt sleepy is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2011, 10:24 PM   #2
Algae

My opinion is that it looks pretty damn good.

I'm actively trying to nit-pick here, and I can't really find anything wrong with the costume.

EDIT: I think you're missing their knife, and whatever type of sling they're using. Look into a two-point sling, and a three point sling.

You might want to work on your mannerisms though. Try researching how people will shoot a rifle, for example. Your not sticking your arm out enough, the buttstock is too high when you shoulder the weapon, ect...
Algae is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:43 AM   #3
Pvt sleepy

Thanks for the critique! Yeah, the m-7 Bayonet is a bit of a problem. They're pretty expensive, and I couldn't take one to a con. It looks like I'm going to have to make a prop one. And I do have a sling, I don't know why I forgot it for the picture.

I know I'm holding the Beretta wrong. I was in a hurry to make these pictures (both because I had to be somewhere and because the camera was on a timer) and I was sweating like Baltar in a Sons of Ares meeting. I take of that next time.

Thanks for replying!

So what's you're opinion about the patches?
Unread 08-05-2011, 10:00 AM   #4
Algae

They might not be "realistic" per say, but I think they might be necessary. With them, people might actually understand your costume and motive.

Without, they'll probably think you're a wannabe SWAT officer.

If you do go with a patch, I'd probably wouldn't go with the subdued patch. The reason being, in this case you would need it to stand out to get your point across.
Unread 08-05-2011, 12:18 PM   #5
Pvt sleepy

That's what I was thinking. I think I'll add Velcro in case I feel I want to remove it.
Unread 08-05-2011, 02:26 PM   #6
Algae

Oh hey, look what I found.

http://www.khmountain.com/airsoft/pr...roducts_id=897
Unread 08-05-2011, 02:49 PM   #7
Pvt sleepy

...Holy Frak! You're a hero! I don't even know how you found something that specific. Thanks man, I'm ordering it right now!
Unread 08-05-2011, 05:30 PM   #8
Algae

Hooray for random browsing through Airsoft stuff!
Unread 08-06-2011, 08:46 AM   #9
Pvt sleepy

Crap. I just spent a half hour of analyzing shots of the marines from the show, and I just realized that they wear the Ka-bar "tanto" knife. Those are pretty expensive, plus I would have to saw off the blade, so I may still go with your suggestion (way cheaper and safer). I needs to think about it.
Unread 08-06-2011, 10:18 AM   #10
Algae

All you really need to do is to have the hilt sticking out. Its not like they were bayoneting Centurions throughout the series.
Unread 08-06-2011, 01:11 PM   #11
Pvt sleepy

So do you think if I remove the blade and glue the hilt to the sheath, con security would allow it? P.S. That would be pretty frakking cool if they did bayonet centurions!
Unread 08-06-2011, 06:11 PM   #12
Algae

I'd leave about an inch of the rubber, just so you can attach it to a base to keep it stable. But yes, I think that'd be alright.

And judging by how effective Centurions were in hand-to-hand Valley Of Darkness, I think it'd be a very short fight... Haha
Unread 08-07-2011, 10:39 AM   #13
Pvt sleepy

Yeah. Although they make several references to hand-to-hand combat during the first cylon war, the new model centurions seem to make short work of anyone who gets that close.
Unread 04-05-2014, 09:14 PM   #14
Milpol911

Where can I get the patches I need some for Battlestar Galactica and Battlestar Pegasus

[quote=Pvt sleepy,

Milpol911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 04-07-2014, 05:34 PM   #15
indigofox

Sitting here next to my sci-fi nutty hubby and he says it looks really really good. He doesn't compliment often but he's pretty impressed. If you need a hand on ports (ie. how to hold the rifle), ask as we're both Cadet Instructors and hubby was in the Army so are regulars with SA80's.

I have no idea about it as I've never seen it otherwise I'd comment. Looks very similar to the reference pics though, so good job.
indigofox is offline   Reply With Quote