Go Back   Cosplay.com > Cosplay Construction > Props/Accessories/Armor

Thread Tools Rating: Thread Rating: 8 votes, 5.00 average.
Unread 08-04-2011, 06:25 PM   #1
smaaaaash

Tavros Horns - Attachment Help

Hello! I'm going to be cosplaying Tavros from Homestuck. I'm pretty confident in making everything I need, but I have one problem. Here's a picture for reference:

I don't know how to attach the horns to my head! A lot of Homestuck troll cosplayers say they use clips or wire or sew it on to their wigs or even use a headband under their wig, but it's a bit hard to get a wig for Tavros. Besides, my hair looks a little bit like this, so I'm thinking I might just use my own hair. It doesn't look too easy to find a wig, anyways, but if someone wants to suggest a wig to me, I'm not opposed to that. Otherwise, I don't think a clip will support these horns on the sides of my head, and I don't know if using a headband with screws is a good idea or not. It might show up too much.

Anyways, I want to know how I would attach such big horns to the sides of my head. My horns are pretty light, but they're about 8 inches long. Any ideas are welcome, and much appreciated.
smaaaaash is offline   Reply With Quote

Unread 08-04-2011, 08:14 PM   #2
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Depending on what they're made of and how heavy they are spirit gum might work for you.
2DLogic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 08:24 PM   #3
smaaaaash

I'm not too sure spirit gum will work since the sides of my head aren't exactly shaved down to bald. Besides, the horns might be too heavy for that, now that I think about it.

The horns are made out of tin foil wrapped in plaster gauze. Each horn weighs about 4 oz.

Last edited by smaaaaash : 08-06-2011 at 03:04 PM. Reason: Accidentally wrote the combined weight! I meant 4 oz. each horn.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:13 PM   #4
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

In that case, I think attaching the horns to a headband is going to be your best bet. The character has black hair combed backwards, that is going to hide things better than any other color. Go with a black headband and I think you'll be fine as far as visibility.
Unread 08-04-2011, 09:26 PM   #5
smaaaaash

Alright. I wasn't too sure using a headband would be the best thing to do, but if it's the only option available, I'll probably go ahead and do it.
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:10 PM   #6
wafflefrolic

I saw several Tavros cosplayers at Otakon this past weekend and they all used headbands and it looked fine.
Anderson (Blue Forensic Suit) - BBC!Sherlock
wafflefrolic is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-04-2011, 10:20 PM   #7
HareyuNanami
Princess of Dreams :3

I would recommend using Crayola Model Magic for the horn, and a head band, use a screw and screw the horn onto the head band, because glue wont hold it XD

Cosplay List!

Convention List
CON-G 2014
Costume Con Toronto 2014
Anime North 2014
FanExpo 2014

My Youtube
HareyuNanami is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:41 PM   #8
Koi
Promiscuous Boy

Why not just use a clear headband? It wouldn't be entirely invisible.. but black or any other colour would be much more noticeable.

Also, for the horns, if you want them light you could carve insulation foam. Sand it to round it out. Model magic is kind of heavy in that quantity.
Unread 10-14-2011, 04:48 PM   #9
Tigersoul

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2DLogic View Post
Depending on what they're made of and how heavy they are spirit gum might work for you.
LOL! Spirit gum is only good for Crepe hair, it wont even hold noses on properly.

IF you decide to go with the adhesive, look for Medical Adhesive, that's the only thing that might hold them (and if they're too heavy, it might damage your skin)

I'm going to agree the headband is best, but I do think that if you dont attach them completely to the headband (like just the top of the horn) you should glue down the rest of it so it doesnt flop and be obvious it isnt attached.

"The bad news is he ended up building the whole rock tower... the good news *gulp* I have a rock tower to knock down..." - Rainbow Dash, My Little Pony: Fiendship is Magic (S03E09)
Tigersoul is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-14-2011, 07:48 PM   #10
2DLogic
SSSmokin' Sick Style

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tigersoul View Post
LOL! Spirit gum is only good for Crepe hair, it wont even hold noses on properly.
People often under estimate spirit gum, its a very common theatrical adhesive with many more uses than fake hair.

Its often considered weak because people don't know how to properly apply it, it's not super glue the adhesion isn't instant. It also works much better on clean, oil free surfaces. If you can't get it to hold a prosthetic nose in place, then you're probably applying it wrong or your prosthetic is entirely too heavy.

Spirit gum absolutely has the capability to hold a couple ounces in place. Had the horns been made of something light, like carved foam as Koi mentioned, and he had shaved the sides of his head it would have been a viable option.
Unread 10-16-2011, 12:07 PM   #11
sakuratyan
coolkid of summer stars

Quote:
Originally Posted by HareyuNanami View Post
I would recommend using Crayola Model Magic for the horn, and a head band, use a screw and screw the horn onto the head band, because glue wont hold it XD
I would have to disagree. Model Magic is pretty heavy and in my own personal experience, it tends to crack a lot (but that could be just me and my bad art skills). With a character like Tavros that has pretty sizeable horns coming out of the side of his head, I'd suggest something a lot lighter if I knew what to make them out of. The ones I made are pretty light and OK for something made out of papier mache and styrofoam, but I wouldn't suggest that combination.

I have to agree with the others about the headband, though. Either black or clear, if you can find one at a local accessories shop or anywhere selling that sort of stuff.

completed:
Jake English (Homestuck, default outfit) // Vriska Serket (Homestuck, Humanstuck!God Tier)
sakuratyan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 10-17-2011, 10:27 PM   #12
Aesceus
Local Moose Friend

I did Sollux and I put a headband under my wig and there were 4 screws sticking out of it when i put my wig on it so I could screw in my horns. There's MANY holes on my headband for all different placements of horns. I think it works well.

I think you should just go with a normal head band + 2 or 3 screws in each horn. I really cannot see doing it any other way. "Shaved" wigs are extremely hard to find or god AWFUL. Becuase you are not completely shaved on the sides, Id on't think it'll stand out too much. Go for a matte headband instead of a smooth, shiny so it won't GLARE in a photo?

I feel bad for everyone cosplaying the Summoner.
Phoey.

Hal-Con 2013:
Garudamon - 15%
Amon - 10%
Aesceus is offline   Reply With Quote