Go Back   Cosplay.com > Fashion > Steampunk

Unread 08-05-2011, 10:17 PM   #1
AliceinIvory
Alice Addison

Help with a Steampunk Ball Gown??

Hello everyone!! I'm completely new to steampunk so my friend and I are going to a ball together trying out steampunk. It's a black-tie, event, and I want to get my outfit right!!

I'm making it all from scratch, and I've already found a good pattern for bustle skirt (this: http://butterick.mccall.com/b5696-pr...hp?page_id=385 ), and I am contemplating two designs for a top that I think could go with this. The first idea is an off the shoulder, short sleeved top with almost a scoop-neck that would be the same color as the skirt. Also, I thought of an elbow-length top with a square neck that comes down to a few inches below my collarbone. I'm not so comfortable with my upper arms (theyre just not my best feature xD) so I think I'd feel more pretty with the top with sleeves, but I'm not sure if that is actually a good part of steampunk or if the other top is the way to go. What do you think? Would either look formal?

Also, for the fabric, I'm contemplating a medium olive green satin, and I have somewhat ivory skin with dark grey eyes and dark brown hair. Would this be a good option, or can you think of a better color that would go with my features and this design??

And ONE MORE THING XD The thing that I think really makes steampunk is the accessories and such, so what sort of accessories (especially hats or gloves) would go well with this. Also should I add some sort of trim on the dress??

OKAY SO THIS IS ALOT!!! But thank you guys for your help!!

Unread 08-06-2011, 01:05 AM   #2
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Sleeves are totally fine with steampunk clothing. And the color sounds very nice. I would definitely suggest wearing gloves. Ladies never went without their gloves and they add a nice touch to your costume. And I would add trim all over that outfit. The Victorians LOVED them some color and trimmings. They trimmed every edge they could, sometimes trimming the trimmings. I would go with an ivory or black trim to go with the olive green. As for the accessories, that's a bit trickier for formal. Don't throw on goggles or anything. That just seems wrong. I would go with antiqued gold, silver, and brass jewelry, maybe a pendant that is a watch as well might be good. And some type of hat trimmed to match the outfit. Maybe even a fan that, instead of lace or paper, could be made of folding metal or something interesting like that. Ladies usually carried a fan to beat the heat. Little nuances will be better when it comes to formal steampunk. Subtlety can take you a long way. Try googling steampunk fashion and see if you find anything you like.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-07-2011, 11:37 PM   #3
Ribii-chan
Libbers of Doom

I agree with Mehdia on all counts.

Might be bias talking, but I love the idea of green. For some reason I'm gravitated myself to using greens in my steampunk. On the trimming topic, I think that using a lace choker for a necklace would be a nice, simple jewelery option. You could use a matching trim as for on the dress, and maybe dress it up with pearls instead of metal.

The fan is a definite, as English ladies used them to flirt in addition to temperature control lol.

As for the top, it all depends on how closely to the history you want to stay. I feel like the square neckline with sleeves would be more historically acceptable--Victiorian England was a throwback to the more modest fashion. On the other hand, I think a heart-shaped neckline with a high collar would also be very flattering.

Like \nvn/ sorta.. I don't know if that will make sense outside of my own head...
Ribii-chan is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-11-2011, 03:10 AM   #4
MalteseLizzie

The green material sounds lovely-go for it. Weirdly enough, I'm using green in my steampunk costume . . . strange coincidence. I agree with the other commentors-you should wear some gloves
MalteseLizzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 08-15-2011, 09:03 PM   #5
Hime_S

Oh wow! This is very elegant! I wish I found that pattern sooner! I'm going to be attending a steampunk ball soon and that looks perfect! I think you hit it right on the nose
Hime_S is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-18-2011, 06:52 PM   #6
LadyAri13
Seeker

what about gloves trimmed with black faux fur of good quality and perhaps smallish gears/cogs n place of buttons
Unread 09-19-2011, 06:25 PM   #7
thewolfelord

long gloves are ALWAYS a fashion item
thewolfelord is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 02:59 PM   #8
Tonksie

I highly suggest taking a look at www.trulyvictorian.com. The patterns there are highly accurate and absolutely amazingly easy to use. You might be able to find a bodice pattern that is more what you're look for. I just made my first bodice ever using one of their patterns.

Something like the lower bodice on this pattern: http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcar...3&cat=5&page=1 might be close to what you're looking for.
Tonksie is offline   Reply With Quote
Unread 09-20-2011, 05:25 PM   #9
Mehdia
The Corset Queen

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tonksie View Post
I highly suggest taking a look at www.trulyvictorian.com. The patterns there are highly accurate and absolutely amazingly easy to use. You might be able to find a bodice pattern that is more what you're look for. I just made my first bodice ever using one of their patterns.

Something like the lower bodice on this pattern: http://www.trulyvictorian.net/tvxcar...3&cat=5&page=1 might be close to what you're looking for.
I love Truly Victorian patterns. I used them for my Madam Red costume and have made a few other things from them. They are really easy to use and since they are period accurate, they look so much better than just having a costume pattern.
Mehdia is offline   Reply With Quote